20.08.09

“The September Issue” New York Premiere

US Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour walked the red carpet last night as the host of “The September Issue” New York premiere.

The R.J. Cutler documentary chronicles the making of the fashion bible’s 2007 September edition, which remains its biggest issue to date.

After seeing the Prada Resort 2010 collection, I was intrigued to see which piece – if any – Anna would pick from this collection.

Anna has never been scared of bold prints, so it wasn’t a surprise that she picked this interesting piece which was modified to cover her shoulders.

Beige kitten heels, a dazzling necklace and trademark bob completed the look.

Sienna Miller – the cover star of the September 2007 issue this documentary chronicles – showed off how lengthy her toned legs are wearing a blue sky Thakoon Resort 2010 strapless mini dress.

I love the texture of this dress which is cleverly draped, twisted and gathered to create volume.

A silver Bottega Ventea clutch, large chandelier earrings and gold Jimmy Choo heels complete this look.

J’Adore.

Renee Zellweger’s shortened Carolina Herrera Resort 2010 orange draped brocade dress was the perfect choice to show off her best feature – her legs.

Some of you expressed how you’re a tad bored of the Renee/Herrera collabo, but I really love how each piece is tailor-made or modified to suit Renee’s style.

If it was the same silhouette or same colour I would be bored too, but the two of them give us something new every time.

Sexy strappy heels and her trademark pout complete the look.

I will forever love Carey Mulligan for wearing my favourite dress from the Thakoon Resort 2010 collection.

I adore this colourful dress, which drapes better on the runway.  It’s like opening a packet of Starburst.

Actress Zoe Kazan combined two pieces from the Jason Wu Resort 2010 collection to create her own casual look.

I don’t like the uninspired heavy black heels with this summery look.  The runway heels to the left would have been a better choice.

You may remember Emma Watson wore this same Jason Wu Resort look when traveling between shows whilst promoting “Harry Potter”.

Shortening seems to be the new black, as Hilary Rhoda like Renee, shorten her Rachel Roy Resort 2009 dress.

Her floral dress was pair with Manolo Blahhnik white and black stitched heels.

Designers Oscar de la Renta and Carolina Herrera arrived together.

He wore a beige suit, whilst she looked radiant wearing an orange and white floral skirt from her Resort 2010 collection, with a crisp white shirt which is very much her trademark look.

Designer Tory Burch decided against wearing a piece from her own collection opting for this gorgeous purple Narciso Rodriguez silk dress from the 2009 Pre-Fall collection.

The cap sleeve dress has a wide self-tie belt that wraps around dress, which can create Rodriguez’ signature criss cross detail.

I love the dress and the strappy heels, but I really dislike her pink feathery bag.  What a way to ruin a look.

Designer Cynthia Rowley opted for a vibrant blue shortened dress from her Fall 2009 collection.

She looked stunning wearing her dress with a blue and black embroidered belt, and Elizabeth & James elastic wedge sandals.

Georgina Chapman opted for a silver long sleeved tunic dress with sprinkles of gold embellishments, which shimmered as she walked the red carpet.

Her dress had a matching silver roped tied the waist.  Her look was complete with grey Christian Louboutin kitten heels and a matching clutch.

Vera Wang opted for a simple grey tank which she punched up with a trademark bejeweled necklace.

I particularly love her Resort 2010 asymmetrical layered skirt, which she wore with Prada Spring 2009 snake-skin heels.

Alexa Chung dress has the floaty ethereal feel of the Calvin Klein Resort 2010 collection, which I’ll guess is actually a vintage dress.

It appears Alexa still hasn’t washed her hair from the last time she stepped onto the red carpet for the “Inglourious Basterds” New York Screening earlier this week.

TRESemme and some lukewarm water. Don’t be afraid to introduce them to your hair Miss Chung.

Bee Shaffer’s lilac belted dress is divine, both in colour and style.

It shows off her legs and accentuates her curvy figure.

Designer Donna Karan and singer Cassie arrived wearing similar plunging black jumpsuits.

Donna opted for gladiator flats with her look, whilst Cassie wore platform boots.

“The September Issue” hits theaters in New York on August 28, and select cities on September 11.

[nggallery id=159]

In Tory Burch's Closet - Narciso Rodriguez Purple Silk Dress

In Tory Burch’s Closet – Narciso Rodriguez Purple Silk Dress

Celebrities Love...KAIN Label

Celebrities Love…KAIN Label

42 Responses to “The September Issue” New York Premiere

1. LeeAnn August 20, 2009 at 12:09 #

-How fabulous is Vera Wang? she is in her 50’s and looks great. She and Carine rock!
    -is Georgina channelling a less trailer trash version of Megan Fox ?
    -Loved the Prada resort but not the granny version on Anna who certainly has the arms and shoulders to go with the original-whats that about then?
    -Tory Burch bores the pants off me but then so do her clothes
    -note to Alex Chung the quakers are meeting next Wednesday not this one

• Fashion Critic August 20, 2009 at 13:37 #

granny version lol

2. Flora August 20, 2009 at 12:18 #

Alexa – The Victorian-style dress, pallid complexion, ratty hair and red-rimmed eyes make her look like she’s spent the night in a 1900s TB hospital. Not a good look.

Renee – for about three seconds I was actually excited. It’s orange! It’s not knee-length! But… it’s still Carolina bloody Herrera, and actually, I just don’t like the dress at all. Plus – and you can see it much more in some of the other pics – she’s forgotten to put self-tan on her feet.

Sienna – love the dress, a great colour, shows off her legs, love the draping that gives it volume. Hate, though, the sunglasses she seems to be wearing in most of the photos. It’s night-time, Sienna! You’re at a premiere! You don’t need sunglasses!

Special “yay!” for Carey Mulligan, who I was so pleased you mentioned. She’s a wonderful actress who we don’t hear enough about, and I love the contrast between her classic Jean Seberg boyish crop and the cute, vibrant rainbow dress. Her accessories are perfect too.

Oh, and you’ve probably spotted this already, but Melania Trump is wearing the same D & G dress worn earlier in the year by Freida Pinto.

3. Mimi August 20, 2009 at 12:19 #

Despite Sienna looking good in this outfit, I just cannot like her because she always looks so smug.

Zoe Kazan just looks wrong – the shoes look stupid.

Carolina Herrera looks so chic – perfectly dressed for her age.

I must say I like Georgina Chapman’s look a lot. It flattered her and co-ordinated very well.

Alexa Chung looks like Widow Twanky. You are right about her hair. I mean, she’s in Hollywood with a plethora of top hair salons – how can she stir out of her house like that?

I think Cassie looks stunning in her outfit – it looks perfect on her.

I really don’t like those shiny brightly coloured dresses like the ones on Tory Burch and Cynthia Rowley – they look cheap and nasty to me.

4. lan August 20, 2009 at 12:20 #

this is just my opinion, but i really hate anna wintours bob. i know that its her signature look but i feel that its just too heavy and blunt for her face, ageing her too much. she needs to have a bit of a change or something it tires me seeing her like this constantly.
    and same with renee cannot stand her hairstyles.
    many gorgeous outfits on show here tho tonight.

5. Eylul August 20, 2009 at 12:23 #

I think you should have included Emily DiDonato here – she looked fantastic!

• Fashion Critic August 20, 2009 at 13:35 #

unless they are supers, I find models very boring.

That particular one was way too skinny. I hate that look

• LeeAnn August 20, 2009 at 15:06 #

Yes but the dress was pretty from what I could see and Olivia Chantecaille looked stunning too

6. Kiran Sooknandan August 20, 2009 at 12:26 #

I was thinking this morning that I needed a big red carpet fashion fix. This did it!

• Fashion Critic August 20, 2009 at 13:35 #

I was excited too as you can well imagine

7. mimie August 20, 2009 at 12:29 #

I think that alexa’s chung bag is Louis Vuitton.
    gosh I hate sienna I find her boring and talentless, but she was the best dressed by far.

• LeeAnn August 20, 2009 at 15:08 #

Think its Marc Jacobs-LV a little too mainstream for Alexa ” can I be more quirky” Chung

8. ace August 20, 2009 at 12:31 #

omg im pretty sure that donna karan wanted to run wwhen she saw cassie. though cassie look good in it.

ooh and i am guessing anna had some say in what sienna wore.

9. GRACE August 20, 2009 at 12:34 #

Loving Cynthia Rowley’s matching toenails! I think Cassie looks great too.

10. Ally August 20, 2009 at 12:43 #

Why does Renee keep insisting on contorting her body like that on the red carpet? It looks uncomfortable and is not at all a flattering pose.

• Mimi August 20, 2009 at 13:56 #

I agree – she always looks strained in the body and face. Very unattractive looking.

11. FashionLover August 20, 2009 at 12:59 #

wow lots of great looks …both the thakoon dresses are gorgeous,and that Vera wang skirt is really wow…I love everybody here except Cassie and Donna Karen,the flats look really bad and boring plain black looks so uninspiring here with all the burst of color!
    btw, Renee and Carolina Herrera have color coordinated outfits…lol coincidence or what!

12. SarahV August 20, 2009 at 13:24 #

Bee Schaffer has terrible posture. That dress would look so much better if she just stood up straight…

• Joana August 21, 2009 at 23:29 #

oh well, her mom doesn’t have the greatest posture either and yet she is what she is!!!

btw: Does Anna ALWAYS wears the same shoes?!
      If someone can wear the same pair of shoes over and over again, that one is Anna, still, I think you’d wanna change a bit from time to time….No?!

• Fashion Critic August 21, 2009 at 23:31 #

Those shoes are very much her favourite pair.

13. Rachel August 20, 2009 at 13:26 #

Good Lord, what was Alexa Chung thinking? She tweeted that she had nothing to wear for this do and the rushed choice was clearly the wrong one. Unflattering dress, wrong shoes and you well aNd truly covered the hair, FC!

14. Alexandra August 20, 2009 at 13:40 #

I ADORE this floral thakoon dress, absolutely perfect! I also like Sienna, she can do no wrong currently. I don’t think I remember her ever wearing similar dress but she looks really outstanding, her legs are amazing!!!

and really, what was alexa thinking?! she looks like she just got out of bed and in the bad way – like she didn’t even shower. even her dress looks like a sleeping gown!

15. Mare August 20, 2009 at 14:04 #

Sienna looks really VAU….love it!

• Flora August 20, 2009 at 15:06 #

No, it’s no good, maybe I haven’t had enough coffee today (or too much!) but I still can’t work out what “VAU” stands for… give us a clue!

• Mare August 20, 2009 at 15:58 #

lol….im Croatian so ….its our word of admiration….or something like that…

16. ayesha August 20, 2009 at 14:30 #

RC, do you know if “the September Issue” will be released in the UK?
    Love Sienna´s dress

• Fashion Critic August 20, 2009 at 14:37 #

Yes September 11

17. Rachel August 20, 2009 at 14:41 #

The September Issue is out in the UK on September 11, according to The Times. I must say Sienna’s dress is a dream. I bet Anna “suggested” it, Thakoon is her baby.

18. ramona August 20, 2009 at 15:04 #

Bee Shaffer,Carey Mulligan, Carolina Herrera were very good dressed:X

19. stilettolover91 August 20, 2009 at 15:35 #

Cassie looks amazing!!!! I’m loving those platform boots!! Do you know who designed them?

20. alex August 20, 2009 at 16:16 #

Fashion critic I know you LOVE Georgina Chapman…but can we please discuss this DRAG Queen make up!!!!

• Fashion Critic August 20, 2009 at 16:18 #

It would pain me too much to go there, but I totally hear what you are saying.

I was really shocked.

• LeeAnn August 20, 2009 at 16:44 #

I agree she is such a beautiful girl why was she channelling Megan Fox

21. mol August 20, 2009 at 16:26 #

I wouldn’t want to wake up with a hangover and see Renee’s orange brocade dress – the only thing that color works with is her puffy pursed lips! On a more positive note, I love every single thing about Carey Mulligan – her hair, the dress, your description of it FC. – all perfect. And my last mention has to be Vera Wang, she’s slammin in that skirt, and I love the shoes too.

22. Hannah August 20, 2009 at 16:26 #

I have never really understood the obsession with Sienna until this dress. Best Dressed for the week, yes?

Also, does Renee’s hair seem extremely thin and limp to you right now? She seems to have the hair texture of someone far older than she really is.

23. JacobGH August 20, 2009 at 17:32 #

Wow, Vera Wang looks absolutely stunning. BDOTW contender for sure along with Sienna from this event.

–JGH

24. Dorian Gray. August 20, 2009 at 19:54 #

I hope you would add Chanel Iman in bell shape white spring-summer 09 Versace. I think you could post a “Who wore it better” because that dress was worn by someone else too…
    Thanks FC

• Fashion Critic August 20, 2009 at 19:56 #

All the picture I have seen of her are kissing her boyfriend and standing from the side, which doesn’t make for a good comparison unfortunately.

• Dorian Gray. August 21, 2009 at 00:34 #

You’re right, however, thanks.

25. ben August 21, 2009 at 01:17 #

Wow, what a red carpet fix!
    I love Sienna’s look the most, it’s just so away from what we’d expect from her. I am not a fan of bubble hemmed dresses, and from memory FC i dont think you are either, but this works so well.
    I also love Renee Zellweger and, believe it or not, I am intruiged by Alexa’s look. AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!!

26. Pen Pen August 21, 2009 at 02:28 #

I love love love Carolina and Vera Wang…. simple but so DIVNE … BDOTW … please
    And for once, i am bored by Georgina’s outfit … just really blah ..

27. Thomas Monks March 6, 2010 at 18:03 #

That is the Prada dress dana delany wore to the indy spirit awards cant wait for the wwib poll