Balmain vs. Alice + Olivia

The Balmain military jacket as worn by Beyonce Knowles would have set you back $11,410.

Thanks to Alice + Olivia, you can purchase their shrunken military jacket with embellished details on the front and shoulders for a small fraction of the price at $550.

It’s still quite expensive for some, but that’s no doubt due to the crystals, pearls and beaded details.

Alice + Olivia also seemed to be inspired by Balmain’s Fall 2008 zebra print blazer as worn by Kim Kardashian.

It has the same print and embellished lapels, but at a fraction of the cost.

This blazer is available from Nordstorm for $495.

Unlike Bebe’s attempts to knock-off Balmain, these are much more acceptable.

Credit: Style.com

Runway To Sidewalk - Rihanna In Rag & Bone

Runway To Sidewalk – Rihanna In Rag & Bone

On The "Gossip Girl" Set With Taylor Momsen Wearing Gypsy 05

On The “Gossip Girl” Set With Taylor Momsen Wearing Gypsy 05

10 Responses to Balmain vs. Alice + Olivia

1. From Russia With Love August 12, 2009 at 16:56 #

This is soooooooooo wrong(((

2. renyV August 12, 2009 at 17:01 #

I agree with From Russia With Love. The second jacket is nice, though.

3. zoe August 12, 2009 at 17:17 #

hmm, these are ok but i still prefer the balmain originals much more.

4. ramona August 12, 2009 at 17:34 #

I hate to see that some designers don’t have imagination at all;) it’s sad.but what can we do?! i like the original things.

5. Ally August 12, 2009 at 18:08 #

What makes the originals so awesome is the dramatic shoulders and the Alice & Oliva pieces just lose that completely and make the jackets boring. If the Balmain didn’t exist, neither of the A&O jackets would be of any note.

6. DolceLorenzo August 12, 2009 at 23:29 #

I’m looking at those pieces and I’m horrified. It’s like taking a work of art and attempting to reproduce it in the most grotesque way. These people ought to be ashamed of themselves!

7. Wande August 12, 2009 at 23:47 #

I also prefer the Balmain versions!

8. Megha August 12, 2009 at 23:59 #

how is this copying ok compared to Bebe doing it?
    the only difference i see is that these are still designer prices
    which makes it even worse in my eyes – cause they copy someone else and make a lot of money out of it anyway

9. Linda August 14, 2009 at 21:55 #

Wow, the originals cannot be compared to these!

10. Candy March 12, 2013 at 15:14 #

Why should wealthy be the only ones to enjoy such a lovely jacket? I was thrilled that Alice & Olivia knocked off that Balmain military jacket. I would splurge the $550 bucks for it. But I certainly would never be able to afford the Balmain one for almost $12,000.