03.08.09

Vogue Australia Celebrates 50 Years With 4 Cate Blanchett Covers

Cate Blanchett was the guest of honor at the Vogue Australia 50th Anniversary Dinner and she’s also graces 4 covers of their commemorative issue which goes on sale this Wednesday.

Vogue Australia editor-in-chief Kirstie Clements opted to capture the great Cate via illustration instead of photography.

David Downtown captured the actress in four separate poses wearing looks by Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Martin Grant and Armani for the quartet of covers.

As much as I like this idea, it would’ve had major goosebumps had the images been photographic.

Cate picked the designers herself knowing they’d be the ones to bring out the best in her, but I can’t help but feel this was a missed opportunity to capture her at her best.

See the rest of the covers in illustration below.

Credit: Style.com & Fashion Copious

Kerry Washington In Sportmax - Women In Film 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards

Kerry Washington In Sportmax – Women In Film 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards

Jessica Simpson For Glamour US September 2009

Jessica Simpson For Glamour US September 2009

19 Responses to Vogue Australia Celebrates 50 Years With 4 Cate Blanchett Covers

1. robbie August 3, 2009 at 12:43 #

these are okay but at the same time very bland. cate is gorgeous but these pictures just dont show it. the martin grany shot is really nice though.

2. Martin August 3, 2009 at 12:52 #

I, too, was a slightly disappointed when I first heard that Cate would be captured on the covers in illustration rather than by photograph. But after seeing the covers, I must admit that I am impressed.

Cate’s graced the cover of Vogue many times, but has never been (and probably never will be again) captured in this way. In that sense, the covers break new ground. And I think the illustrations themselves are fabulous and embody what Cate is and what Vogue aspires to be: unique, distinctive and timeless.

3. Mai August 3, 2009 at 12:54 #

I like them drawn since it gives a vintage feel to it. and they are celebrating 50 years!!

4. Ally August 3, 2009 at 12:57 #

I agree, FC. I would rather have seen the photographs. The illustrations are interesting, but they lose the Cateness and the beautiful clothes.

5. LolaSvelt August 3, 2009 at 13:16 #

Wow…just wow.

6. mol August 3, 2009 at 15:17 #

I agree with Martin, perfectly said!

7. Jessica August 3, 2009 at 19:05 #

couldn’t have said it better myself Martin!

These interesting and unique vintage-style illustrations are perfect for the 50th anniv. edition! And Cate is THE perfect choice. She’s strong, intelligent, classy as hell & wears fashion like no one else. Oh, yes, and she is the best export in drama that Australia has to offer, so yes, very appropriate choice.

8. Jessica August 3, 2009 at 19:07 #

…although I’m not sure that Armani is the right match-up?? I mean, you can’t hardly even tell from that illustration what fashion she is wearing and that fluffy collar doesn’t match the model.

• Fashion Critic August 3, 2009 at 23:16 #

it was better for me to guess than leave it blank.

Could you guess which one it was?

9. staramour August 4, 2009 at 03:20 #

Here here, Martin! My thoughts exactly.

10. staramour August 4, 2009 at 03:22 #

Oh, I’ll also add that I think Cate does come through in these illustrations. To agree also with Jessica, with respect to famous Australian exports, what a disappointment Nicole Kidman would have been in the same illustrations. Too bad Australian designer(s) were not represented in the covers – really, there were 4!

• Fashion Critic August 4, 2009 at 09:05 #

good point about Australia designers not being represented

• Martin August 4, 2009 at 09:25 #

Martin Grant is Australian, albeit showing in Paris.

• Fashion Critic August 4, 2009 at 09:28 #

OK. I didn’t know he was Australian

11. mj August 5, 2009 at 02:02 #

These appear to be fully illustrated versions of the cover. In actual fact, the masthead and coverline are in gold foil. Very beautiful. Editor Kirsty Clements should be proud…

• Fashion Critic August 5, 2009 at 07:28 #

I definitely going to pick one up when it comes to the UK.

I’m sure it’s more impressive in real life

12. Louise August 5, 2009 at 11:38 #

I bought the Armani one today and I think all the covers are gorgeous and definitely collectable.

• Fashion Critic August 5, 2009 at 12:03 #

I’m going to try to get the Balenciaga one when it comes to London.

13. sabah August 9, 2009 at 13:31 #

its such a shame that we dnt get to see the original pictures! i really wish we could get a glimpse.
    dear fc, why dont you give a try n search for them?