31.07.09

Social Events Of The Week

Vogue Australia 50th Anniversary Dinner, Syndey

Unfortunately we didn’t get any dramatic looks, no picks from our Red Carpet Wish lists and no couture from Cate Blanchett at this event, but regardless it’s always a treat to see her on the red carpet.

She looks outstanding wearing a burnt orange long sleeved vintage Ossie Clark gown with an ivory necklace.

“A Streetcar Named Desire” Press Night, London

Rachel Weisz wore an animal print Isabel Marant Fall 2009 sheer with black peep-toes accented with a gold floral detail.

Although I’m not crazy about the detail on her shoes, I adore her dress, even though it’s showing us her bra.

Isabel Marant make such fabulous pieces.  I hope we see more celebrities wearing their pieces in future.

Out & About, Berlin

Even when she’s out shopping in Berlin, Diane Kruger is still incredibly stylish.

The German actress wore a Stella McCartney Resort 2010 ensemble which included a yellow tank top she wore off-the-shoulder, with a blue striped tulip skirt.

She added flats and a white Chanel quilted bag to complete her ‘off-duty’ look.

I adore her skirt. Another piece added to my never-ending wish list.

X-Games “Red Bull Toasted” Honors Action Sports Icon Travis Pastrana, LA

A LBD as short and tight as this can go so wrong, but I think Audrina Patridge looks amazing in this Michelle Mason Spring 2009 dress.

She’s starting to come into her own now that she’s no longer in Lauren’s shadow.

“Taking Woodstock” New York Premiere

With her long wavy hair falling down her shoulders, Claire Danes wore a blue silk Sonia Rykiel Resort 2010 wrap dress with delicate ruffles.

Her dress is longer than the runway version, which I can’t say I’m surprised about considering we’re talking about Claire Danes.

In keeping with her usual simple style, she only added a platinum bracelet and strappy heels to complete her look.

Lynn Collins has finally been weened off wearing top hats to every red carpet appearance, but she’s replaced that look with a headband.

Wearing a Kova & T green mini dress and nude Brian Atwood Katie Bis sandals I would say her look was great had it not been for the over excessive bronzing.

Dolce & Gabbana: The Make Up Selfridges Launch, London

So now all those Scarlett Johansson posters in Selfridges yesterday make sense, they were prepping for Scarlett’s Dolce & Gabbana make-up launch.

The actress looked very sophisticated and refined in her Dolce & Gabbana ensemble. I especially love her floral flutter sleeve blouse and orange sorbet peep-toes, but I’m still struggling with the hair.

I do usually love Scarlett wearing bold red lips, but I don’t think it quite works with her ensemble.

“JLo for Yamamay” Collection Launch, Rome

Jennifer Lopez was in Rome yesterday to promote her new underwear collection.

The actress wore an ivory chiffon gown with an embellished neckline and a matching Alaia waist belt.

She carried a glittering silver Swarovski clutch which sparkled like her jeweled T-bar sandals.

Her locks were have been lighten with some blonde streaks which I’m not particularly fond of.

How many of you feel like you have seen this look many times before?

Mont Blanc, Austria

Dita von Teese wore a traditional Austrian dirndl while at the Mont Blanc boutique in Salzburg.

It would’ve been great if she’d changed her hairstyle just this once to really get into the spirit of things.

2009 Salzburg Festival – ‘Welcome to Nowhere’ Premiere, Austria

This is the Dita von Teese we’re most used to seeing, looking glamorous wearing a Moschino cream tiered plisse chiffon gown.

AMC Cocktail Reception, LA

Christina Hendricks strikes a stunning pose wearing a emerald Catherine Malandrino pleated empire waist dress with ruffle sleeves.

Gold accessories complete this look.

January Jones wore an interesting sheer Sretsis dress with two diamante bow appliqués to cover her modesty.

I love her hairstyle. Tres chic.

Credit: Style.com, Michelle Manson, Fame Pictures, Zuma Pictures & Wireimage

Teen Vogue Handbook: An Insider’s Guide to Careers in Fashion

Teen Vogue Handbook: An Insider’s Guide to Careers in Fashion

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

22 Responses to Social Events Of The Week

1. Esmay July 31, 2009 at 16:25 #

January Jones’ dress is by Sretsis. I have tried it on and it’s simply gorgeous in real life.

FC here’s a link about it…. http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/5qj64yz5/Sretsis-Double-Bow-Dress-In-Windsor-Purple

• Fashion Critic July 31, 2009 at 18:38 #

thanks for the id :)

2. Ally July 31, 2009 at 16:27 #

Could Cate look more stunning? It is just a simple red dress, but she looks amazing. On anyone else, this dress would probably be overwhelming, but not on Cate.

I really like Scarlet’s outfit. But like you said, I’m not digging the lips. She should have gone with a nude.

3. red July 31, 2009 at 16:58 #

I’m sure the necklace Cate is wearing s from Elizabeth: The Golden Age!

4. mol July 31, 2009 at 17:22 #

Peerless Cate! And I love Diane’s Stella McCartney look, especially the skirt.

5. Sophie Peters July 31, 2009 at 17:30 #

Does anyone know where January Jones’ dress is from? x

• Fashion Critic July 31, 2009 at 18:38 #

Esmay found it. It’s by Sretsis.

6. **MIRA** July 31, 2009 at 18:19 #

its funny that u said that about JLO. that was the first thing that popped in my mind. i could swear she has worn the same dress and so have countless others. i believe ive seen her in an aqua green version? duno. my old hagish memory doesnt serve me well.

• Sara July 31, 2009 at 19:03 #

She hasn’t worn that dress before but it’s true that this look is similar to some of her other looks because she ADORES white dresses.

7. LolaSvelt July 31, 2009 at 18:25 #

Cate Blanchett looks excellent, but I would’ve loved nude heels, rather than red.

January and Christina both look great.

J-Lo is borderline has-been now. Promoting underwear? WTF?

Dita Von Teese can sometimes be annoyingly everywhere, but I love her Moschino outfit.

Claire would’ve looked great if it weren’t so long.

Lynn Collins always chooses bad headwear!

I always look Scarlett Johansson’s makeup. It does look a little odd with this outfit, but she can pull it off. I love how colourful everything is here.

• LolaSvelt July 31, 2009 at 18:25 #

Oh and Diane Kruger looks good, but I always find myself preferring her more casual outfits.

8. zzarazza July 31, 2009 at 19:28 #

Emerald suits Christina so perfectly!

Gees, what’s up with Scarlett’s makeup? Those lips are neon red

9. tdh July 31, 2009 at 19:35 #

love the Sretsis dress. i have it myself, but i wore it with a pink bra underneath :)

• Fashion Critic July 31, 2009 at 19:36 #

foxy :)

10. Methedrine July 31, 2009 at 21:49 #

Cate, Diane, Claire and January are great but I’m a little disappointed by scarlett’s look…

11. marina July 31, 2009 at 22:41 #

I’m really surprised from Adriana’s Dress.
    Really like it

12. Kiana August 1, 2009 at 00:31 #

i dont know who this Lynn Collins is, but for such a pretty girl she looks simply awful. that dress deserves neat hair. she should have taken a hair serum and tamed those messy flyaways!!! or maybe she could have gotten away with the flyaways if she’d paired a cute hippie maxi dress with the headband and flower. i guess my point is i want to see themes! :-)

marrying opposite styles can be so beautiful when done right (flowers and stripes, leather and lace) but her attempt is unfortunately not well thought out.

13. just me August 2, 2009 at 14:48 #

Ms. Blanchett doesn´t look very healthy imo.

14. sabah August 2, 2009 at 19:56 #

can anyone tell what shoes is scarlet johansson wearing? i love that color, pls someone help! i really have to know wht those shoes are!

n fc, do u know where i can get a close up of those shoes pics?

• Fashion Critic August 2, 2009 at 20:05 #

the shoes are Dolce & Gabbana

not sure about the close up

15. lc August 9, 2009 at 02:42 #

Cate looks great, but can’t you see through her dress? It looks like you can see the nipple stickers right through the sheer fabric, and that detracts from the look.

16. ++MIRA++ March 3, 2010 at 19:44 #

i had this bookmarked. i’m still in love iwth cate blanchett here