Celebrities Love…Brogue Shoes

If I were a boy, even just for a day I wouldn’t wear brogues.

I have really big feet – UK8/US11 – and I would be scared of appearing to have clown feet, but they’re slowing becoming a celebrity favourite.

Agyness Deyn has been wearing brogues before they were deemed “cool” and other British girls such as Emma Watson and Sienna Miller – in Rupert Sanderson – have been seen wearing these shoes recently.

Last night the trend went stateside as Olivia Palmero was spotted wearing a silver pair at the “BlackBerry Tour Launch Party”.

Brogue shoes can complement a preppy look or add contrast to a ultra cute girlie ensemble. The two-tone ones are the most appealing.

I think by Fall everyone will be wearing these shoes. Topshop have a very large selection of brogues instore and online.

I think this is one trend we will not see Heidi Montag jumping on.

Topshop Kurt lace-up brogues £40
Marc Jacobs metallic lace-up brogues £170
Rupert Sanderson Laura leather brogues £395
Christian Louboutin Fred glitter lace ups £380

Credit: Fame Pictures, PacificCoastNews, Net-A-Porter, Topshop & Wireimage

15 Comments
In Maria Sharapova's Closet - Thakoon Wool Crepe Shift Dress

In Maria Sharapova’s Closet – Thakoon Wool Crepe Shift Dress

Express Celebrates TXT L8TER Denim Campaign Launch Party

Express Celebrates TXT L8TER Denim Campaign Launch Party

15 Responses to Celebrities Love…Brogue Shoes

1. Tia July 30, 2009 at 12:21 #

Hideous. They possibly go with Aggie’s whole tomboyish, punk sort of look but I don’t know what the others are thinking.

2. robbie July 30, 2009 at 13:03 #

i hate these shoes, or atleast flat versions new looks a nice pair of heeled ones though lol.

awww FC you dont have big feet, try being a size 9 and, size 8 doesnt actually seem that big. which is like US 42, which seems to be a hard size to find *cries*

3. Flora July 30, 2009 at 13:04 #

Agree with Tia (and I’m not a heels girl by any stretch of the imagination!): only Agy and people like Kate Moss, Chloe Sevigny and Sienna can get away these. Nobody else should even attempt this look, at least, with anything except trousers.

Emma Watson looks fine from the ankles up, but as soon as you scroll down to the feet – ARGH! Clumpy! She looks like one of those Fashion Wheel toys from the 80s where you could make different outfits by mixing a head, top half, bottom half and feet from different models. Only worse.

4. Ally July 30, 2009 at 13:49 #

I love cute flats, but tjhese are hideous. The only one who looks cute in them is Emma and, if I remember correctly, she had just gotten off a plane so she was allowed to be super comfy. Otherwise, let’s leave these to Charlie Chaplin.

5. Davor July 30, 2009 at 14:02 #

Oh, well… This day had to come: I just saw the first pair of Louboutin’s I really DON’T like… And £380?! Even Dorothy from Oz would say: ‘NO, THANKS.’ to all this glitter.
    Please, FC, if brogues become trend, don’t show the pictures of those ladies from the ankles down. :)

6. cafeaulait July 30, 2009 at 16:47 #

I love them and I’m a UK7! Looks great when I’m trying to do an androgynous 60’s mod or 80’s prep look. Plus SO comfy and makes me feel just that little bit set apart from the ballet/t-bar/mary jane flat masses.

Seems like brouges have been around forever, and I’ve had a pair since early this year….but then I do live in East London (Brick Lane) where everyone has been wearing pretty much everything -past and future seasons,colours, new and vintage at the same time. And usually in one outfit.

7. Chiara July 30, 2009 at 17:07 #

Yeah it’s funny, when we have so many cute pairs of heels that celebrity resort to wearing those tomboy/ugly shoes.

8. Rachel Marie July 30, 2009 at 19:13 #

I’m with you, Fashion Critic, I’d wear brogues if I were a boy for a day. But not while girl-shaped, even if I were tall as Agyness. Sienna really loves her grey Kain vest! What am I saying, she probably has boxes of them sent to her.

9. jess July 30, 2009 at 21:18 #

can’t believe all the brogue bashing. I’m pretty sure they’re not a ‘new’ trend, if you look at any streetstyle blog they’ve been around for years. and I love wearing them, with the right outfit

10. Rachel Marie July 31, 2009 at 02:25 #

Mmm, they have been around a while but they took a while to gain widespread celebrity favour. Though I think Alexa Chung did them first, to give her her dues, she’s been loping around in Church’s forever.

11. lindsey August 20, 2009 at 13:52 #

Its about time women get to wear these, men have always worn them. I will not be wearing mine with anything girly.

12. CC August 23, 2009 at 22:54 #

They look dumb. besides Agy, only sienna looks okay with them. The shoes alone are fine, but not the whole outfit. In the past people may have worn saddle oxford with skirts/dresses, but modernixed, it looks dumb. (plus I hate saddle shoes). I think oxfords/brogues look best with pants/jeans.

also I’ve been wearing sintip specs for a while now and I hate the fact that this is becoming a trend. Everyone never would’ve attempted them before, but now they are, and when the trend wears out, the people who used to wear them first will look dumb. Things like this make me hate fashion.

13. Dashaun November 1, 2009 at 14:07 #

Okay, they look nice on Emma, but these would look SO MUCH better on me, BECAUSE I’M A DUDE, & THEY’RE VERY DUDE LOOKING SHOES. I could get away with them at Senior & Junior prom, & Winter formal this year. hehehe, & no one will ever know that they are women shoes, because they don’t look like women shoes. (ex. pumps, stilettos, etc.), besides I like Christian Louboutin anyways. So it’s perfect for me!!! HAHAHA.

14. fyet April 1, 2010 at 11:04 #

wow… like this… very very cool… ^^

15. Liz July 20, 2010 at 14:27 #

Love brogues! Perfect alternative to ballet pumps this season. Been wearing my Bronx white brogues to festivals