Taylor Momsen For Teen Vogue September 2009

Whether we like it or not, it seems the rock chick look Taylor Momsen is forcing down our throats is here to stay for a while.

This is evident in her Teen Vogue September 2009 editorial shot by Patrick Demarchelier.

I’m surprised they didn’t soften her like they did with Miley Cyrus. Instead they played up to the moody teenager Jenny Humphrey she plays in Gossip Girl, dressing her in edgy looks and accessorizing with studded bracelets and necklaces.

My favourite look is the Gucci Fall 2009 look below, but that picture only appears in the outtakes.

In her interview Taylor shares that she’s been acting professionally for more than a decade, yet music has always been her first passion. She recorded most of her album before signing a deal with Interscope.

“I wanted to have it all done so I could say, ‘Here’s who I am, either you like it or you don’t.’” As for her writing process, she holds nothing back admitting, “My lyrics are my diary—you’re hearing every detail on my life.”

Here are some more extracts from her interview:

On relating to other teens: “I live a very adult life: I have two different careers; I’m on tour. What am I going to do, hang out with the high school kids? I just can’t relate to what they talk about—it seems so petty.

On high school: “I found it kind of boring. I’m an artist; I’m not going to use trigonometry.”

On Gossip Girl: “I love being on the show—I hope it goes on for a couple more years. But as for the future, I don’t know. I’m at a point now where I’m not doing anything just for money or fame.”

On her updated look: “I know people were a little, um, taken aback. But it wasn’t me that changed—it was just that I decided to start being myself. Now I do my own makeup, my own hair, and dress myself, and it feels better.”

On dating older guys: “I’m not going to date someone who’s sixteen. Boys are so much less mature than girls as it is; there’s just no way—I would eat a boy my age alive.”

Not the best role model for teens me thinks.

[nggallery id=131]

Credit: Style.com, H&M, Topshop, Teen Vogue

Comic Con Day 3

Comic Con Day 3

On The Gossip Girl Set With Leighton Meester Wearing Chloé, YaYa Aflalo, Nancy Gonzalez & Marc by Marc Jacobs

42 Responses to Taylor Momsen For Teen Vogue September 2009

1. shoeaholic July 28, 2009 at 16:14 #

Definitely the worst role model EVER! Ha! I’m surprised Teen Vogue published all of that.. She looks gorgeous in the pic with the H&M Divided dress though!

• Fashion Critic July 28, 2009 at 16:18 #

Right on. I had my chin on the floor in shock reading her interview.

She’s so into herself.

I dislike her even more now

• GRACE July 29, 2009 at 13:27 #

I agree, I’m really surprised Teen Vogue picked her and published all that. They’ve been pretty consistent in picking out reasonably good role models so far, methinks. (Until now.)

2. Camilla July 28, 2009 at 16:17 #

She’s really not endearing herself to her audience, is she.

• Fashion Critic July 28, 2009 at 16:37 #

not at all

3. robs July 28, 2009 at 16:41 #

it just showed how very young and immature she is. i think life is going to eat her alive.

4. caitlyn July 28, 2009 at 16:42 #

She used to be so pretty and innocent – what a shame. She seems to have become her character. I’m surprised Teen Vogue would even put her on the cover. And I thought Miley Cyrus wasn’t the best influenece.

5. worship_elle July 28, 2009 at 16:43 #

LOL she should marry herself.

6. Hannah July 28, 2009 at 16:45 #

Her hair looks like the Before half of a conditioner commercial. Why would she ever think that the fried look is in?

7. robbie July 28, 2009 at 16:46 #

there is just something about her i cant stand, her thinks she is an “artist” WTF she is a crap actress and a terrible singer. i mean seriously she was the girl from the grinch! she wont be anything more than that.

she really does come across as a spoilt little b*tch. as for trying to be herself, strange how she resembles a very young debbie harry.

• Pen Pen July 29, 2009 at 02:30 #

So well put … she makes Miley Cyrus looks like an angel.

• caroline May 2, 2011 at 22:12 #

she has a pretty good voice and i like her overall style..
        frankly i could give a rat’s ass about her attitude and how she behaves because i don’t know her-so it’s not something i have to deal with.
        bom

8. heather ♥ July 28, 2009 at 16:48 #

Totally agree that its a surprise Teen Vogue published all of that! She is SO young!

After reading this interview and seeing her ‘grow up’ in the last year, I get the feeling that she’s either going to end up a hot-Mischa Barton-like mess or shes going to look back on this is 10 years and be horrified!

• Fashion Critic July 28, 2009 at 16:49 #

or worst Lindsay Lohan.

9. ber July 28, 2009 at 16:55 #

She thinks quite highly of herself..

• Fashion Critic July 28, 2009 at 17:05 #

just a little bit lol

• marika July 28, 2009 at 18:56 #

ugh! just by saying all of those things, she contradicted herself by saying “she’s an adult” could she be a little more tactful? she’s so full of herself! i can’t believe i’m saying this but she makes miley look/sound so much better!

10. Stel July 28, 2009 at 17:04 #

Will i be the only one that says… “I don’t wanna buy this issue because I hate the interview (she sounds very cocky) and I hate the styling (from the hair, to the make-up, to the clothes to the accessories).”? I thought Emma Watson’s edgy space-like photo shoot for Elle was bad… this takes the cake… :/

11. Kiran Sooknandan July 28, 2009 at 17:18 #

Oh my god, I had to re-read this interview several times in shock and disbelief. Could she sound anymore contrived or condescending? I was always indifferent to her but this just annoys me. I’m not trying to say she has to be a conventional role model but she and Teen Vogue really need to draw the line somewhere especially when lots of girls read this magazine and look up to her. I’m all for being yourself, but when ‘yourself’ is a spoilt, self-consumed, ignorant sounding twat maybe it’s time for a change.

12. Jen July 28, 2009 at 17:35 #

Just went shopping the other day and all of the trendy, affordable stores (like H&M) were full of Jenny Humphrey looks…we even saw a group of thirteen-year-old girls with Jenny hairdos and makeup–dark eyeliner, jagged bangs, everything. I think you’re right, this look is here to stay, at least for a while! …I think I’ll be laying low and reading your site until this phase ends…

13. Terry July 28, 2009 at 17:59 #

“I’m not going to use trigonometry”…Ah, all my students (well, I teach English literature) sooner or later come up with this sentence…Only life will show them it’s not about the actual use of trigonometry (or other school subjects, for instance), but about discipline and self-commitment. Proclaiming herself an artist at such young age clearly shows she’s not one.

• Methedrine July 28, 2009 at 23:55 #

Absolutely!
      I used to like her but now she just shows how much she need to grow up!

14. Justme July 28, 2009 at 18:05 #

*major sigh*
    Poor thing doesn’t even realize the amount of clichés that come out of her mouth.

15. SarahV July 28, 2009 at 18:08 #

WOW, that’s immature sounding indeed.

16. Aicha July 28, 2009 at 18:13 #

I’m shocked at myself for saying this, but she seems like an immature imbecile. And oh-so-disdainful! I’m a teenager myself, and this makes me feel ashamed. On one hand she considers herself above petty teenage talk (and it’s not as if her show is about world politics – I just had to say that), but then look at the way she talks about Trigonometry!

I’m really sorry about that. Feel free to edit it out. On to the fashion…okay, I’m sorry, nothing to say. I just don’t like her.

17. zoe July 28, 2009 at 18:27 #

i love you FC! she definitely isn’t the best role model for teens, or anybody for that matter. i can’t believe she is 16 and saying things like that. yeah she might be famous and have access to all the coolest clothes in the world, but i’m happy i’m not like her. i’m sure she’s not a horrible person, but she seems so jaded and used…and she’s only 16. how’s she going to be when she’s 26? or 20? or even two years from now?
    she looks fantastic in that h&m dress though. it looks great on her and horrible in the product picture. she also looks fab in the gucci.

18. greta July 28, 2009 at 19:18 #

hey…She’s tall,I’ll give her that but…She has no charisma,that’s just sad….

19. ayuni July 28, 2009 at 19:47 #

EWW.

20. AJoanna July 28, 2009 at 20:34 #

Someone has tremendous ego issues. I feel my lunch coming back up. :{

21. * July 28, 2009 at 20:44 #

How sad, she used to be so pretty.
    I dont know how anyone could like her when shes has that kind of attitude. Where are her parents?! Shes probably doing all sorts of things she shouldnt…
    Meh she’s really making me appriciate Miley

• cory December 13, 2009 at 18:46 #

miley isn’t that bad…you ppl are just too conservative…anyhow i find it kind of annoying that everyone talks about how she “used to be so pretty” or “what happened to that cute little girl from the grinch” obviously she grew up, she was like what five years old? though i do agree, she sounds like a total idiot in this interview xD

22. natalie July 28, 2009 at 20:49 #

It would had been nice to see Dakota Fanning on the cover.this young ladie’s career is moving in fast track.

• cory December 13, 2009 at 18:43 #

seriously! dakota definetly deserves the cover, she looked so beautiful in new moon!

• Lilly December 31, 2009 at 16:44 #

she is on the january cover, thank gosh. However, Taylor’s on the cover of seventeen now, sadly

23. marina July 28, 2009 at 21:14 #

that’s a bad publicity for herself… a shame that she isn’t thinking about her future…but i’m sure when the GG ends, she will too

24. Leslie July 28, 2009 at 22:29 #

I find it both amusing and ironic that she calls high school petty when that’s the audience she appeals to, not to mention who the magazine is published for!

What a silly little girl.

• cory December 13, 2009 at 18:53 #

ahahah i know right!!

25. Keana Reinu July 29, 2009 at 10:41 #

i’m sorry. but something about her just seems so fake and desperate. and i thought her character ‘jenny humphrey’ was annoying.

26. Iva August 3, 2009 at 10:43 #

I’m not suprised that Teen Vogue picked her and did this pjhotoshoot because I think Miley is in the same age as Taylor.. Although she looks like 20yold woman and she’s so into herself… I thought she wears so much makeup and tht she’s normal girl… Now I know I was wrong. I really dont like her

27. rt August 7, 2009 at 01:00 #

class-A moron!!!

28. Shemah August 7, 2009 at 10:27 #

She needs to be fed humble pie. Well actually, she needs to be fed. Period.

29. Mikuru December 27, 2009 at 02:31 #

I don’t like her… Miley is waaay better than her…