Chanel Fall 2009 Couture

The Chanel Fall 2009 Couture collection had the formula to be a great collection with trademark tailoring, black lace, textured prints, embellishments and a series of boucle suits, but I wasn’t blown away.

In fact I would go as far as to say “me no likey”.

Looking the pictures on Style.com was like being on a roller coaster. One minute I was up the next I was down and in the end I just underwhelmed.

The only pieces I really loved were the nude dresses and that was mostly because they reminded me of Balenciaga’s Fall 2009 dresses with a very similar draping on the hips.

I wasn’t a fan of what I call the “mullet dresses”.

These were long at the back and short at with the front. This style didn’t apply to just dresses, skirt suits also got this unnecessary added piece of material. One navy suit was lined with a blood red train which was quite hideous.

I have no doubt that by the time we see these pieces on the red carpet they’ll be heavily modified to exclude the trains – hopefully.

Most pieces would have been perfect without them like the sequined party pieces.

Credit: Style.com

Live Stream: Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture

Live Stream: Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture

Front Row At Chanel's Fall 2009 Couture Show

Front Row At Chanel’s Fall 2009 Couture Show

26 Responses to Chanel Fall 2009 Couture

1. lena July 9, 2009 at 13:42 #

It’s beautiful,but it’s Chanel goddamnit,it needs to be breath-taking

• Fashion Critic July 9, 2009 at 18:51 #

Agreed

• Jules O'Connell July 9, 2009 at 19:24 #

perfectly put

2. robbie July 9, 2009 at 18:49 #

i love chanel but i just found think collection to be complete rubbish. i cant even pick one piece that i liked from it. which is suprising as i expected to be wowed by chanel.

strange how the past few collection have been some what rubbish and bland. uncle karl really needs to start making nicer pieces or maybe let someone new and fresh take over.

• Fashion Critic July 9, 2009 at 18:51 #

good luck to the person who ever has tell him to step down. LOL

• robbie July 10, 2009 at 03:05 #

i just cant wait til he does eventually step down, i liked him alot to begin with but his last great collection in my opinion was spring 2008 ready to wear and couture collection, plus a few dresses from the spring 2009.

• stuti July 9, 2009 at 19:00 #

I love Uncle Karl! I dont want him to step down. :(
      But I just dont like this collection.

3. Mai July 9, 2009 at 19:09 #

i have always thought that chanel was overrated. it has a big name but so far the clothes aren’t agreeing with the name. my fave piece out of here is the third dress on the top row. the one that looks sorta like a peacock. but without the hanging extra fabric.

4. heather ♥ July 9, 2009 at 19:17 #

seeing this just makes me sad :(

5. christian July 9, 2009 at 19:28 #

i feel kinda let down by this! chanel used too be fantastic and breathtaking, not…. this.

but i think its the “mullet” it dosen’t fit most of the dresses and, frankly, it’s unnessary. what a shame!

and yeah, good luck to the poor man who have to live up too uncle karl!

6. Jules O'Connell July 9, 2009 at 19:32 #

so OBVIOUS
    the balenciaga similarities are cruel and killing
    plus: I guess it’s over with the perfect seams
    no seems equals modified chanel equals chanel like never before
    seamless…
    awful
    took me a while to find out what was so odd about these pictures
    but I truly admire the shoes
    since the hc documentary one can relate and kinda imagine what amount of work goes into that and what goes on behind closed doors
    and I think we’ll love it as soon as we see it
    I wanna see Kate Bosworth in Look 54 the queen Cate B in 55 and for some reason Asia Argento in 56 (she’s proven herself adult during Cannes)
    ok me stop now – sorry

7. Ally July 9, 2009 at 19:53 #

I swear that before I even read your post the first thing that came to my mind was “me no likey.” I usually adore Chanel (including the pieces people wore to the show), but this is just ugh. The only one of the ones you posted that I like is the last on the top row (w/out the silly hat and tights).

8. ber July 9, 2009 at 20:00 #

Most of these pieces don’t even look like Chanel to me.

9. Alicia July 9, 2009 at 20:15 #

Mullet dresses! Perfect description, and hilarious at that.

10. nicole July 9, 2009 at 20:44 #

agreed FC and everyone else!
    This collection feels so dated and not chic like Chanel is supposed to be. I recently watched the Coco Chanel movie and have even more love for the brand but this is just bad. Major change is needed to get it back on track.

11. Davor July 9, 2009 at 20:51 #

This doesn’t look like Chanel at all…
    And those trains: completely unnecessary.

• Alicia July 9, 2009 at 22:45 #

According to WWD, a bunch of the “lengths” (Karl apparently doesn’t like the word “train”) are attached on the insides of the skirts to make the collection more wearable. Yawn.

• Fashion Critic July 9, 2009 at 22:48 #

lengths???

yawn indeed ;)

12. Chiara Popalopa July 9, 2009 at 22:12 #

Yeah I agree, it doesn’t really look like Chanel… Where are the cropped jacket, the white, the Chanel elegance??!!

13. Lila July 9, 2009 at 22:26 #

Is this just me or the whole collection just screams 80′s?! I was so negatively surprised..after the amazingness that was Givenchy, which set the bar bery high, i was waiting for the Chanel show to blow me away..but, except for the nude pieces, Sasha’s dress and some jackets..it really disappointed me. Oh, and those shoes..really, Karl, really?!

• robbie July 10, 2009 at 03:03 #

the shoes were terrible, they just looked very old lady style.

14. ben July 10, 2009 at 06:05 #

although i dont love the collection, i found it quite refreshing, as finally karl had stepped away from all that black.

15. Jesmi July 10, 2009 at 07:36 #

I totally agree with your fashion sense. good job!

16. Iced Potato July 10, 2009 at 13:28 #

They don’t scream Chanel to me. I only like the middle dress in the second row without the useless train.

17. denise July 10, 2009 at 22:14 #

I actually liked it…I was bored of the same-ness of Chanel, all white and pink, this a little different. I especially like numbers 29 and 57.