Emma Watson For Elle UK August 2009

This is Emma Watson’s second August cover and I would bet there are many more to come she prepares to start promoting “Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince” which hits theaters on July 15.

On the cover – shot by Matthias Vriens McGarth – she wears a Giles strapless top with a raised GG logo. The rest of her edgy editorial shows that she is trying to move away from her good girl image. Below she wears a sexy Chanel top with rock chick Roberto pants. Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Dolce & Gabbana.

The 19 year old British actress talks to Jenny Dickinson about film, fashion, and a brand new chapter – college.

On making the decision to go to college: “It’s going to sound dramatic, but I feel like it’s going to be my life over as I know it. My whole life has been about and then all of that’s going to shut down and I don’t know what that will be like. I go to university in September. I’ll be doing bits and bobs at Christmas, but September feels like my cut off point, when I’ll really stop Harry Potter.”

On wearing edgier labels like newcomer William Tempest: “I’m you and ideally, I want to wear young designers who are coming up with new and interesting ideas.”

On staying true to herself: “I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself. I want to avoid becoming too styled and too ‘done’ and too generic. You see people as they go through their career and they just become more and more like everyone else. They start out with something individual about them but it gets lost. Natalie Portman is an exception. I’m in awe of how she’s handled herself.”

On her future plans: “At the moment I feel like I need to go away and figure out what I want to do and be myself for a bit. I just want to take a step back from it and not rush into stuff. I need university to give me that break. People think because I’m going to university I’m never going to act again, but it’s actually me… I want to… figure out how I feel about everything first. Maybe I’ll keep acting, maybe I won’t. I just want to find something where I feel I have to do this. Maybe that’ll happen when I read a script. It felt like that with Hermione [Granger]. I want to feel like that again.”

Dolce & Gabbana jacket and pants/Chanel top

Credit: Style.com & Elle

Net-A-Porter International Clearance Sale

Net-A-Porter International Clearance Sale

Runway To The AT&T National Golf Tournament - Jessica Simpson In Michael Kors

Runway To The AT&T National Golf Tournament – Jessica Simpson In Michael Kors

24 Responses to Emma Watson For Elle UK August 2009

1. anne July 1, 2009 at 16:12 #

this has to be one of my least favourite photoshoots that she’s done
    i understand the aim to make her edgy and distance her from her clean-cut image but in my opinion, it was poorly executed
    i don’t know whether it’s the clothes, hair and make-up, poses, or all three… but it just doesn’t hit the right notes with me :/

• Ally July 1, 2009 at 16:19 #

Completely agree. It is ironic too b/c right there in the article she says “I want to avoid becoming too styled and too ‘done’ and too generic.” And I feel like that is exactly what they did to her here.

2. maggie July 1, 2009 at 16:13 #

She is such a classic beauty and seems quite humble and articulate for her age (MEGAN FOX are you listening?!!).

These photos are stunning – just the thing to add to my bottomless pit of a magazine collection =)

3. Atelier July 1, 2009 at 16:18 #

ugh! i cannot stand her anymore…what`s next…vogue????

• Aicha July 3, 2009 at 08:29 #

Haha, thank you! I don’t like her much either, though I do think she seems quite nice and down to earth. I think it’s partly because I’m such a Harry Potter fan, and don’t feel that she does justice to the character.

4. Rama Dimas July 1, 2009 at 16:26 #

Better than Sienna’s Vogue Photo shoot, i think

5. Anissa July 1, 2009 at 16:42 #

I love her in the green LV outfit!

• Lisa July 1, 2009 at 17:55 #

mte.

6. Lisa July 1, 2009 at 16:42 #

She’s gorgeous! Love her and love the shoot!

7. AJoanna July 1, 2009 at 17:35 #

I have to admit that I hate the makeup. :S

8. bee July 1, 2009 at 18:46 #

Not fond of her make up, but the clothes! <3 She is very articulate, something I noticed in teenvogue earlier; gotta admire her for that. And she just gets more and more gorgeous.

9. robbie July 1, 2009 at 19:24 #

i used to like her style but now i dont see the fuss, there isnt anything special or unique about her.

it is all a mess plus she looks pretty uncomfortable.

10. Hilary July 1, 2009 at 20:18 #

I love the cover shot, but some of the rest look plain uncomfortable. I don’t know what direction they’re trying to bring her in…I’m getting a Kristen Stewart vibe from a few picturesbut I prefer her softer more ethereal shoots. Also, they’ve made her lips look very thin.

11. r1ma July 1, 2009 at 21:07 #

No, No
    That girl is not Emme Watson. That is Kristen Stewart
    And that is not a Giles Deacon outfit, but a really bad tweed Chanel knock off.

12. Szonja July 1, 2009 at 21:16 #

Compared to her last photoshoot for Teen Vogue these pictures show a much more mature Emma Watson and expose more her real personality. The make up is a bit strange but at least she doesn’t look like a clown as did on the pages of Teen Vogue. And I’m sure she never wears such make up on the streets and on a magazin cover it’s okay. I like her in every photo from waist and above (the studded latex trousers and the LV skirt are bringing back the clowny feeling…) and I really really like her on the A. Wang picture and on the last one.
    The interview presents a very “normal” person and I admire her for it and hope she would stay on this way.

13. bluebell July 2, 2009 at 05:07 #

I think this is the best look I’ve seen her in, probably because the rock aesthetic skews younger. The other looks were much too mature and sophisticated for her; the clothes always wear her. Her looks are very “girl next door,”more casual styling like in this shoot suit her best.

14. Amiel July 2, 2009 at 09:47 #

They chose the wrong person for this editoral… Kristen Stewart would have rocked the whole thing.

15. Ahot July 2, 2009 at 11:06 #

no matter how hard she tries, she will always be the sweet hermione. i just don’ buy the rocker girl thing

16. Flora July 2, 2009 at 11:14 #

I just find it really depressing how the only way to break out of the child star rut for a young girl is to get a “sexy” or “high fashion” makeover. She looks – as always – like a little girl trying on someone else’s clothes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one picture of her, posed or at a premiere, where she projects any degree of personality whatsoever. She acts woodenly, and now it turns out she even stands still woodenly too.

Emma, please, go to university and don’t come back to acting or modelling, you’re terrible at both of them. I’m sure you’d make a delightful English teacher, though.

17. Boeshane July 2, 2009 at 15:20 #

I don’t like her with this look. Too much rock, she seems a little fack. But I just saw on the Burberry website new ads with her (they udaptes 14 pics), she is stunning.

18. whitestroke July 2, 2009 at 17:22 #

I hate the LV skirt on her. I don’t know is it because of the way she wears it, or the styling is just bad. Or maybe it’s just because it’s a bit too long for her, down to her knees, so it doesn’t create the effect it has on the model that has longer legs.

19. Chiara Popalopa July 7, 2009 at 19:04 #

She looks like the girl from Twilight… I like it, I always like edgy stuff but I mean from far, you don’t even know if that really promotes Harry Potter…

20. sara July 9, 2009 at 11:43 #

Beautiful , ravishing but i don’t like her make-up sense but clothes are beautiful.