Who Wore Balmain Better? Selita Ebanks or LeToya Luckett

Victoria’s Secret Angel Selita Ebanks was the first to wear this Balmain Fall 2008 dress back in March to the Valentino The Last Emperor New York Premiere.

She totally blew me away in her sexy zipper lace mini dress which she paired with Givenchy t-strap heels.

On Sunday night the former member of Destiny’s Child LeToya Luckett wore the same dress at the 2009 BET Awards, with a pair of sky-high Alejandro Ingelmo woven slingbacks.

Her dress had been modified around the bust area to give her more coverage, so Selita wins this very easily for me.

Firstly because she looks better in the dress and secondly she wore better shoes.

LeToya hugely disappoints by modifying the dress. Just proving that she shouldn’t have worn it in the first place.

Can you image Kate Moss or Erin Wasson modifying a Balmain piece? Only if hell had frozen over.

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

Social Events Of The Week

Social Events Of The Week

More Madonna For Louis Vuitton Fall 2009

More Madonna For Louis Vuitton Fall 2009

18 Responses to Who Wore Balmain Better? Selita Ebanks or LeToya Luckett

1. Gaber June 30, 2009 at 11:48 #

I actually consider the modification to be pretty darn decent. Especially if we compare Selita to the runway girl. I am guessing it’s more of a flat-chested-girl dress.
    Still, the shoes and what the dress does for the rest of the body (I think this is mostly due to the difference in height and knowing how to pose) push this heavily in Selita’s favour.

2. Rama Dimas June 30, 2009 at 12:33 #

Selita rocks!!!!

3. tanya June 30, 2009 at 13:25 #

really fashioncritic? i thought for sure you wouldve gone for LeToya since selita’s boob basically takes away from the focus of the dress…
    hmm eitehr way i prefer the runway version but this is such a great dress!

• Fashion Critic June 30, 2009 at 13:30 #

Balmain is meant to be sexy.

• tanya June 30, 2009 at 13:43 #

hmm in my opinion selita crosses the line from sexy to trashy in this but each to their own!

4. ahot June 30, 2009 at 14:14 #

fc is right here. beside i don´t understand the modification since she doesn´t have big boobs that could spill out of the dress…

5. LolaSvelt June 30, 2009 at 14:42 #

I would pick runway, but that’s not an option.

I think Selita looked trashy here. Her boobs look like they want out. The other girl wins by default.

6. Willa June 30, 2009 at 15:31 #

What’s the big deal with modifying it? The dress is already short enough to show off their legs. And Selita looks with half her boob sticking out like that.

• Willa June 30, 2009 at 15:33 #

I meant so say “she looks strange with half her boob sticking out like that” lol

7. Katie June 30, 2009 at 16:39 #

I prefer the dress with less cleavage…particularly less fake cleavage. But that’s just me.

8. Kathryn June 30, 2009 at 16:50 #

I hate the modification but Selita’s boob takes away from the dress too. I choose the runway version.

9. Kou June 30, 2009 at 17:38 #

FC, Good choice. I loved this dress on Selita- she wore it better than it was modeled, first and before the Balmain boom. It’s one of my top 10 of the year.

10. love-fashion June 30, 2009 at 19:46 #

Selita is hotter,so I vote for her

11. Kaya June 30, 2009 at 23:45 #

I usually agree with your choices but I don’t get the hate levelled at LaToya for this. I think the mod was pretty decent, and I’m gonna stand in the minority and say I actually kinda LOVE her shoes. The strappy sandals sported by Selita just intensify the trashiness – I feel that the clunkiness of LaToya’s platforms, along with the silver colour to complement the accents of the dress, make the look more edgy. I think she looks pretty damn stunning.

12. Alice July 1, 2009 at 01:58 #

I have to agree with Kaya. Selita looks like a tramp.

13. suejin July 1, 2009 at 09:39 #

It makes LeToya’s upper halg/shoulders look more wide and broad .. when she isn’t wide at all.

14. Camilla September 24, 2009 at 21:42 #

Have you seen that Cheryl Cole is wearing this dress in her new video? Quite an action-packed video for what is quite a weak song…