Runway To Sidewalk – Rihanna In Gareth Pugh

Rihanna was seen out and about shopping in New York yesterday.

During the day she wore a simple oversized Helmut Lang white shirt showing her bright orange bra, with denim shorts, white loafers and an Alexander Wang Denim Leather Brenda zip bag.

At night she transformed into an edgier look wearing a fitted white and black detailed jacket Gareth Pugh’s Spring 2009 collection with a black mini-skirt, and white gloves as she headed out to the Rose Bar at Gramercy Park Hotel.

Her look was completed with sunglasses – yes at night – and black Christian Louboutin heels.

I love this look minus the gloves. Rihanna is back.

A few weeks ago I feel she would have worn the WHOLE runway look, but she appears to have calmed down the extremes.

Her look is still edgy but less in your face.

[nggallery id=99]

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

More Madonna For Louis Vuitton Fall 2009

More Madonna For Louis Vuitton Fall 2009

On The Gossip Girls Set With Leighton Meester Wearing Alice + Olivia

On The Gossip Girls Set With Leighton Meester Wearing Alice + Olivia

25 Responses to Runway To Sidewalk – Rihanna In Gareth Pugh

1. SarahV June 30, 2009 at 14:06 #

I still feel like she tries way too hard…

• marvel June 30, 2009 at 14:09 #

Same for me!

• uhuru June 30, 2009 at 16:44 #

No !Gaga tries too hard

2. ahot June 30, 2009 at 14:09 #

She definitely has the right personnality for his designs! Not like other wannabe edgy-crazy-over-the-top-cool chicks… .

3. Parvati June 30, 2009 at 14:15 #

Wow, I really like this look! A Gareth Pugh creation on personal time and not on a red carpet event? That’s unusual but still, I think it’s the first time I see a celebrity wear something from Gareth Pugh and not looking weird. I love this jacket!

4. danielezka June 30, 2009 at 14:45 #

What I like about Rihanna is that she can make a Gareth Pugh piece look wearable not only in the red carpet.
    And maybe the gloves are some kind of Michael Jackson tribute… ¿¡?!
    I mean… everything is a Michael Jackson tribute these days :D

5. Ally June 30, 2009 at 14:56 #

It would be so much better if she didn’t try too hard and ditched the glasses and gloves. As is, it looks like she is in costume.

6. Iced Potato June 30, 2009 at 15:05 #

Without the gloves I would love it. This is the least kookiest I have seen Rhianna for a while and I like it. She looks very smart and futuristic at the same time.

7. Willa June 30, 2009 at 15:34 #

She just looks so ridiculous all the time. With the gloves, and color coordinated sunglasses, wtf.

8. LolaSvelt June 30, 2009 at 15:36 #

I don’t like the gloves with the outfit. They look like oven mitts. Other than that, good outfit.

9. zoe June 30, 2009 at 16:39 #

FIERCEEEEEE! the gloves are actually working for me.

and you’re right. a couple of weeks ago she would have worn the whole runway look….and would have been a hot mess.

10. Leo June 30, 2009 at 17:57 #

When I think of a parody of what a popstar is, I think of Rihanna. She is always overdressed and it seems so staged and pretensious. I can’t understand this look.

• whitestroke July 2, 2009 at 15:12 #

Agreed. And I don’t think she’s an interesting/eccentric person enough to be forgiven. It’s just like a crazy outfit on an empty shell. I feel like R’n’B stars in general, like her, Beyonce and the like, are quite challenged by all the new faces on pop scene these days that are (re)introducing this kind of fashion-forward/structured/angular aesthetics, like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and such. They want to keep up with them, although they’d probably be better off within the style their scene was in the first place. For a very long time, since the early 90s, fashion wasn’t all that exciting. Now we’re suddenly in the phase of fashion becoming exciting again, and they’re all seem to be competing with one another who can look more insane.

• whitestroke July 2, 2009 at 15:14 #

*THEY all seem to be…

11. Sara June 30, 2009 at 18:12 #

the zippers on the skirt behind are a bit odd. Not lovin that part of the look, but I really like everything else. I could go either way with the gloves. I’ve always thought of them being a bit silly, but the completely the vibe she’s trying to create.

12. Sara June 30, 2009 at 18:13 #

opps, “they complete the vibe”

13. Megan June 30, 2009 at 18:16 #

too try hard!

14. Chiara Popalopa June 30, 2009 at 19:12 #

Yeah I think the white gloves might be a tribute! But a great look, really fierce!!! She made it work!

15. love-fashion June 30, 2009 at 19:43 #

uhm…she does not look great,she looks off.

16. Flixer June 30, 2009 at 20:46 #

Her hair is looking better…

17. mol June 30, 2009 at 22:26 #

I agree with Leo, Rihanna seems staged and pretentious, often in a mystifyingly random way. This can be compared to the more cohesive look of Lady Gaga (this is in response to Uhuru, who feels she is trying too hard). It seems to me that Lady Gaga is referencing the Surrealists from the 30’s (in a way not that different from the fashion great Isabella Blow), and that her aesthetic is also influenced by Andy Warhol’s ideas on celebrity and fame. Gaga plays her part well and with specific intention, and personally, i find her to be awesome compared the overcooked pop star look of Rihanna.

• Pen Pen July 1, 2009 at 06:14 #

Well said :)

18. bobrossafro July 1, 2009 at 08:23 #

Everyone talks about Rihanna as though she created the outfit. Can we please talk about the stylist? Editor: can you make a note as to who the stylist is in the bottom of the post? I remember Lindsay Lohan being especially fashionable at one time. It wasn’t her, Wasnt she was dressed by someone? It would be nice to see the influences, trends, and commonalities that occur with the folks that dress the celebs in addition to the celebs themselves.

19. Kim July 2, 2009 at 23:02 #