29.06.09

2009 BET Awards

Most Predictable Award
Their would’ve been no prizes for guessing that Beyonce Knowles would have worn Balmain to this event, as she’s worn so many Balmain pieces both on and off the red carpet.

She did pick a very colourful interesting piece with a swirling sequin pattern and a jagged hem.

I love the dress and the playful hoop earrings, but the hair I’m not fond of.

Worst Re-Run Award
Letoya Luckett wore a lace, crystal embellished, zipper dress from the Balmain Fall 2008 dress which we’ve already seen on the red carpet.

She looks good in the dress, but those clunky gold Alejandro Ingelmo clown heels just ruin the look.

Sticky But Sweet Award
Leather on a hot sunny day?

I’m getting hot just looking at Ciara, but her ruched maroon leather Cynthia Steffe Fall 2009 dress does look amazing on her, plus I love the ruffled detail.

The singer kept both her accessories and make-up light and neutral.

Best Dressed Award
Alicia Keys really stood out in her Moroccan inspired embellished mini Jenny Packham dress, and her larger-than-life curly ‘do.

The singer completed her look with Christian Louboutin Spartenvol Strass 100 sandals and a matching nude clutch.

Best Minimalist Award
Whilst everyone seemed to be opting for lavish embellished pieces, Zoe Saldana looked stunning wearing a white one-sleeved Calvin Klein dress with a cut-out detail on the hip and a daring slash to the thigh.

Brian Atwood heels completed the look.

Most Ridiculous Award
In the attempt to grab headlines Melody Thornton comes of looking ridiculous in her Alexander McQueen dress.

This ombre fringed dress with a nude body-stocking would be great as a stage costume, but on the red carpet it just doesn’t work.

The asymmetrical fringed details don’t cover enough of the body-stocking leaving her exposed.

She really didn’t think her look through.

Most Safe Award
I’m really not liking Taraji P. Henson mullet, but I do love the elegant black Kaufman Franco one-sleeved gown with leather strapped detail on the back.

The unfortunately thing here is that the backless nature of the gown reveals her lower back tattoo.

I would’ve preferred her to wear something funkier for this occasion.

Trying WAY Too Hard Award
Cassie used to be so sweet, so this harder image to rival Rihanna just doesn’t work for me.

It’s so false from the hair cut to the peek-a-boo Mark Fast knit dress to the Giuseppe Zanotti fold-over booties

Screams wannabee.

Best Super Hero Award
Singer Keri Hilson channels her inner Wonder Woman wearing a black bustier dress adorned with multi-coloured stars and other interesting shapes.

Her look was a little more risky than the others which made her stand out.

She could have easily over done her look with lots of bling, but she knows her statement dress should do all the talking.

Casadei black satin pumps completes this look.

Best Heels Award
Amerie opted for a LWD with Alexander McQueen peep-toe booties.

Best Homage Award
Estelle paid homage to the late Michael Jackson by wearing a single white glove with her denim tiered Acne baroque peplum dress.

I love the cute nature of this dress with the contrasting silver spiked earrings.

Just OK Award
Actress Keke Palmer wore an embellished dress with sparkled in the LA sunshine.

Most Original Award
Tyra Banks could have been predictable and worn  Balmain or slinky dress instead she tired something new wearing a menswear-inspired satin ensemble.

I wouldn’t have thought Tyra could pull off an androgynous look but she totally works it.

Her look includes midnight blue satin skinny pants, a dove grey vest and satin pussy bow blouse, with suede Trib Two pumps.

Neutral make up and simply styled hair make this look work.

[nggallery id=96]

Credit: Style.com & Wireimage

ARIA Awards 2013 Red Carpet Roundup

ARIA Awards 2013 Red Carpet Roundup

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The BET Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The BET Awards?

35 Responses to 2009 BET Awards

1. Gaber June 29, 2009 at 12:00 #

Real women have curves.
    But women that know how to dress nicely know what to do with them. Alicia, Beyonce and Tyra kinda scare me.
    That’s kinda not what you want to do with your legs.
    I’ve also said it before, but given Estelle’s strong feature – she NEEDS to look into more subtle make-up options. It’s seriously too drag-queeny.
    And what’s the deal with the blonde highlights in Keri’s hair?!

2. Terry June 29, 2009 at 12:16 #

The silver woven platform slingbacks on Letoya Luckett are by Alejandro Ingelmo.

• Fashion Critic June 29, 2009 at 12:20 #

thanks

3. butterfly jones June 29, 2009 at 12:31 #

I dunno what you’re looking at Gaber – but there is nothing scary about either of those women. Beyonce is slimmer than she has been for a long time and looks fantastic in that dress – with her curves. Alicia’s is sooo beautiful, so she isn’t stick thin but she looks original, well groomed and sexy. And Tyra looks stylish, chic, and not overdone. Would really like to know in what way either of these looks are scary?

• Rama Dimas June 29, 2009 at 13:17 #

Agree with you…. They looked fantastic

4. Alice[*] June 29, 2009 at 12:44 #

I don’t like Beyoncè’s legs,so I wouldn’t have worn such a short dress.
    I only like Keri,Amerie and Tyra.Bad red carpet in my opinion.

5. antoneLLina June 29, 2009 at 12:55 #

i don’t like anything in alicia keys looks, expecially the hair.
    this red carpet is just “bleah”.
    the only ray of light: zoe! such elegant girl…

6. alyss June 29, 2009 at 13:10 #

Beyoncé wearing Balmain is just wrong. She makes this dress look so cheap- I hate everything about it.

• Rama Dimas June 29, 2009 at 13:16 #

No she’s not…. Beyonce makes it looked good with her curvaceous body

• alyss June 29, 2009 at 14:00 #

She has great curves, I agree. But Balmain looks much better on tall, skinny women like Kate Moss.

• Rama Dimas June 29, 2009 at 19:14 #

No… I don’t think so… Balmain is made for every body shape…

• Aldana May 4, 2011 at 20:48 #

I don’t think so, not every kind of body fits this brand.
        And I’m a woman with a body line much more like Beyonce than a skinny model as Gisele Bundchen. It’s just something I would not wear, I’d rather go for something classier and elegant that would make me look graceful than tacky

7. stilettolover91 June 29, 2009 at 13:11 #

I love how Amerie, Cassie & Ciara all looked! I love their dresses & their shoes!! Very hot!!

8. Rama Dimas June 29, 2009 at 13:12 #

I think Beyonce looked lovely there… No more black&white pieces just like in the previous look of Balmain
    Ciara and Zoe also stunned me.. Love them so so..
    For Gaber: Beyonce, Alicia and Tyra did look good and they showed us to not afraid being good with any clothes

9. Leti June 29, 2009 at 13:15 #

I wouldn’t like Beyonce’s look, except that I think that the shoulder pads really balance out her hips. I still think it’s a bit short, overall, she’s working it. One of the best looks I’ve seen on her in a while.

10. Ally June 29, 2009 at 13:35 #

That is a lot of short and shinny! I don’t even know who I would pick for worst dressed b/c a lot of them look ridiculous. But Alicia Keys has never looked better. And Beyonce’s would be perfect if it were a little longer.

11. Kathleen June 29, 2009 at 13:45 #

I think Zoe looks fabulous here. I find her and Evan Rachel Wood to be my red carpet favorites of 2009

12. Mare June 29, 2009 at 14:14 #

Cassie looks like she is copying Alice Dellal. Tyra looks old in this outfit. Zoe is beautiful:)

13. Hilary June 29, 2009 at 14:27 #

I really don’t get what’s wrong with any of their legs; they’re slim and toned, not stick-like and asexual. I think they look amazing. Alicia’s face is so beautiful,it’s ridiculous. I LOVE LeToya’s Balmain, but it’s more of a night time/club look for me..
    Cassie’s hair is HIDEOUS. I feel like she’s trying her best to obscure her good looks-god knows why!- and be self-conciously edgy.

14. Ling June 29, 2009 at 15:10 #

Totally agree with your choice of Best Dressed; Alicia Keys has never looked better, I love how her outfit is so different from everyone else’s, and her hair and makeup is so perfect I’ve almost forgotten about her Oscar appearance … (almost)

15. Chiara Popalopa June 29, 2009 at 16:02 #

I’m kinda disappointed… Too safe, too boring. Except Keri Hilson, and Cassie in a way.
    And wtf did Cassie do to her hair? I like this style but it doesn’t fit with her at all…

16. mol June 29, 2009 at 16:04 #

I don’t get the ‘legs look scary’ comment either, and i do get tired of the ‘thin only’ police out there. Personally Alicia Keys was one of my favorites, she is so very gorgeous and individual looking I also loved Zoe Saldana in Calvin Klein. I only wish we could have seen the neckline of the dress, as it speaks to all the other minimalist details of the dress. On the other hand, her soft pretty hair did contrast well to the rigor of the dress, so an overall thumbs up for me.

17. r1ma June 29, 2009 at 18:18 #

Everyone is so focused in Beyonce’s legs that they didn’t even bother to think about how she could have sat during the whole awards ceremony. Seriously, those Balmain minis are ridiculous. Why Decarnin even bothers to put a skirt on those pieces is beyond me….he might as well have made them as a top.

OMG Taraji has a tramp stamp!
    So unexpected but kind of appropriate for BET while keeping it classy with the front….haha her whole look is mullet-like…business in the front and party in the back!

And Letoya (One of the orginal members of Destiny’s Child) wearing Balmain like Beyonce! Ooh…I would love to have been there when they set eyes on each other’s Balmain!

I wonder who designed Beyonce’s white robe during her performance. The shoulder’s looked very Balmainish. Probably House of Dereon.

• Rama Dimas June 29, 2009 at 19:16 #

Its by mugler , no?

Letoya is copycatting beyonce lol

18. snicole June 29, 2009 at 20:18 #

Was I the only one that noticed Amber Rose and Amerie were wearing the same dress? Maybe I was mistaken.

• Fashion Critic June 29, 2009 at 20:20 #

I didn’t even know Amber Rose was there.

It was such an uninspiring event fashion-wise

• dr June 29, 2009 at 22:17 #

Yeah the wore the EXACT same Alexander Wang dress. I think Amber Rose looks better in it.

19. Raquel June 29, 2009 at 22:41 #

Pluuuze, how many of us wouldn’t kill for fat-free legs? Yeah, Beyoncee’s and Alicia’s legs are on the stronger side (aka not thin a stick model legs), so what? Are they supposed to wear only knee lenghts skirts and dresses?

Boy, I don’t want to think what people would say about Marilyn Monroe and her size 14 (back then, but 8 for today’s new measurements) would have been called! Those legs of her! How did she dare?

What a horrible event with so many people poorly dressed. Tarij’s dress is a nightmare, it hugs her body in all the wrong places.

Balmain? Balmain is for those who can afford it. Period.

• Fashion Critic June 29, 2009 at 22:45 #

I agree about Balmain. It’s just for those who can afford it now.

It has totally lost it’s original rock chick appeal.

20. colombianfashion June 30, 2009 at 04:33 #

hey what about lil mama she was at the eventand she win but i dont see any picture of her in your website.
    and beyonce looks so much beautiful in that amazing balmain drees she is lo mejor of that event

• Fashion Critic June 30, 2009 at 11:28 #

I only write about those who inspire me to write about them.

Lil’ Mama is a hot mess I always write the same thing about her

21. Jorge June 30, 2009 at 15:50 #

the beyonce’s shoes are from Christian Dior Resort 2009

22. Aisha July 6, 2009 at 22:33 #

Can someone please let me know who Keri Hilson was wearing at these awards? I absolutly love that dress. So unpredictable and she didn’t over accesorise. I’m really begining to love her personal style.