17.06.09

2009 CMT Music Awards

Best Dressed Award
After the CFDA Awards red carpet, the CMT Awards didn’t have as many wow moments.

Jennifer Nettles was by a very long mile the Best Dressed for me.

The singer glowed in a champagne Rachel Roy Fall 2009 strapless bustier dress.

I love the asymmetrical hem line, the gathered detail around the hips and way she elegantly styled her hair.

The only downsides for me were the clutch and the tie-dye Brian Atwood pumps.

Predictable, but Still Cute Award
Taylor Swift loves to sparkle on these occasions and she did wearing a Collette Dinnigan Resort 2009 mini with shoestring straps and a tiered skirt.

Her look was perfected with a pair of metallic Prada jeweled platform heels, and her hair elegantly swept back into a side bun.

Best Use of Colour Award
Singer and dancer Julianne Hough opted for a tiered coral Jenny Packham Spring 2009 cocktail dress.

The colour is gorgeous on her, she really stands out on this red carpet.

I love embellished details on the neckline.

Her look was completed with champagne coloured Guiseppe Zanotti heels which had a jewel detail.

Most Surprising Award
I’m glad Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson opted for this cute Elizabeth & James blue floral strapless tulip dress.

Just because she has a very athletic figure it doesn’t mean she can’t wear this floaty, ethereal look.

I would’ve loved to have seen her hair pulled back.

Best Rock Chick Award
Sheryl Crow wore a black tuxedo jacket and a cowl neck black top, but she added leather pants, studded heels and a necklace featuring mini skulls to toughen up her sexy look.

Expected More Award
Martina McBride opted for a grey tunic dress with an embellished neckline which looks fabulous on her but normally the singer goes all out.

This feel like something she just threw on.

Worst Colour Award
Whilst almost everyone else opted minis to show off their summer tanned and toned legs, Kellie Pickler opted for a Badgley Mischka Pre-Fall 2009 gown.

I love the embellished neckline and the cut of the dress does wonders for her figure, but this has to be the worst possible colour.

She should have opted for something more bright and colourful to match her sparkling personality.

Worst Hair Award
I’m not particularly loving the high neck long sleeve nature of this dress, but what I really don’t like Laura Bell Bundy hair.

I’m not sure if they are hair extension – although they very much look like it – but the style is quite hideous.

Worst Dressed Award
Model Karolina Kurkova wore a black Azzaro Gentleman’s Tux dress with Aldo ‘Seace’ black leather ankle boots.

For a premiere, screening, or gallery opening in New York this would have worked, but for the CMT Awards cute colourful sparkling dresses are almost mandatory. This work doesn’t work for me at all for this event.

[nggallery id=79]

Credit: Wireimage

In Shawn Johnson's Closet - Elizabeth and James Blue Strapless Floral Tulip Dress

In Shawn Johnson’s Closet – Elizabeth and James Blue Strapless Floral Tulip Dress

Runway To "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" Moscow Premiere - Megan Fox In Armani Privé

Runway To “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” Moscow Premiere – Megan Fox In Armani Privé

9 Responses to 2009 CMT Music Awards

1. Rachel June 17, 2009 at 13:08 #

This has to be one of the worst dressed events of the year. Honestly I don’t really like any of them.

Jennifer Nettles looks pretty, but that dress is boring and nothing special.

If I ever see Taylor Swift in a dress like that again, I may cry. It is so beyond predictable. The dress is pretty, but the color! Ugh! She’s young, she’s cute, she should be wearing bright, cute dresses! She should take some lessons from Julianne Hough.

Julianne looked adorable, as usual, and I may have named her best dressed at this event. That isn’t the most flattering photo, but on TV she looked so much better. I believe she is the only not-boring one there!

Shawn looks pretty, but she does have a tough body to work with. She is so muscular that certain dresses would translate that to fat. She looks good in this dress as I feel it is flattering for her body.

Sheryl looks good, but I personally am not a fan of the rocker look. That outfit does look awfully warm for a summer day…

Martina, Kellie, Laura and Karolina………. Ugh….. I can’t even come up with words do describe this.

I would’ve had Laura Bell as worst dressed just because I can’t think of any event where that dress would work. At least, as you said, Karolina could make that work at a movie premier in NYC. Maybe it’s a matter of taste, but I think that Laura’s dress is just hideous.

2. FelipeA June 17, 2009 at 13:11 #

Could someone explain to me what KK is doing at this event? She was there last year and i have no damn clue why

• Fashion Critic June 17, 2009 at 13:25 #

I’ve never understood it either.

3. Louisa June 17, 2009 at 13:13 #

Oh I really love the champagne coloured Rachel Roy dress! I agree that there could have been an improvement in the clutch and shoes department.. I also think she would have benefited from a little bit more glamorous/dramatic make up. I suppose this was a day time event but I think it could have worked given the soft colour of the dress!

4. dr June 17, 2009 at 16:24 #

Oh man, I can’t believe you said you like Shawn Johnson’s look. Are we just trying to be nice and I didn’t get the message ’cause that dress is horribly unflattering on her. The bodice has a binding effect which flattens her already small breasts and puts the emphasis right on her broad shoulders. And then the emphasis on the shoulders makes her non-existent hips dissappear even more. The whole thing makes her look like the “She-Hulk” and I’m pretty sure she had to be the tiniest person there.

5. jasmine June 17, 2009 at 17:05 #

I appreciate Taylor dressing her age unlike other young stars,but we have seen this in her sooo many times. It’s not just the style of her outfits but she also wears the same designers a lot.

6. robbie June 17, 2009 at 22:36 #

jennifer, love it all except the hair its a tad too high for my liking.

taylor, she just makes me melt i bloody love her! especially her hair the dress is gorgeous.

julianne, love the dress and the shoes very nice colour.

shawn, only thing i dislike is the hair, wish it was up or maybe even tied back. but the dress on her is stunning.

sheryl, LOVE IT! rock chic but still feminine. i want those shoes and the necklace.

martina, only thing i like are the earrings dress would have beeb nicer if a more summery colour.

kellie, it looks like dirty water not a nice colour, the dress is nice though white would have been better in my opinion.

laura, it always makes me sad when she is on the red carpet she always seems like a tacky barbie. i love her as a performer though. her shoes are jimmy choo :-P if i remember correctly they are from the vintage collection.

karolina, i dont mind women in mens tuxedo jackets but they need to be a little more fitted and less baggy. also those boots are gonna break my heart.

*thinks pretty jimmy choos* thats better.

7. Raquel June 18, 2009 at 02:08 #

I hate Shawn’s shoes. Those black peep toes are too heavy for such an ethereal dess. I think Shawn can and should work the strapless look, but her posing sucks and makes she look even broader shouldered than she is.

8. nene June 18, 2009 at 04:20 #

I love Jennifer Nettles dress, but I hate that hair.

I love Taylor swift, she’s my girl. The dress it cute and fresh. I love her hair.

I love Julianne’s dress, the color is wonderful, but I can’t stop thinking about the dress Carrie Underwood wore at the People’s Choice Awards.

I love Shawn and the dress and the hair, but it don’t really know about that floral design.

I don’t like the color on Kellie’s dress or the hair.

I like Sheryl’s outfit, but I don’t love it.

I hate Martina’s dress, but I love everything else, I love her hair

I think Laura Belle’s hair is okay, but I’m not sure about that dress

I don’t like Karolina’s outfit. I like the earrings.