16.06.09

2009 CFDA Awards – Best Dressed

Best Dressed Award
Zoe Saldana continues to impress me. “Star Trek” has push her in the limelight, but her great choices in on the red carpet increase her star status.

Take this Calvin Klein Resort 2010 grey dress for example. It was plain and quite boring on the runway, but Zoe brings it to life.

She makes it sexy and sassy without much effort.

Did It Hurt When You Fell From Heaven? Award
*Sighs*

Could Anja Rubik be anymore beautiful? Anja and Halle Berry should be allow to walk amongst us normal folk.

The stunning supermodel arriving looking angelic wearing a white Kaufman Franco Fall 2009 one-shouldered gown.

She wore the gown without it’s ruffled detail on the behind, which showed how dangerously low the dress was cut.

On some Megan Fox this would have been deemed trashy, but on Anja *sighs* just damn sexy.

Best Use of Colour Award
There’s always a 50/50 split when it comes to Blake Lively.

I hope when you see her looking drop dead gorgeous wearing this neon pink Michael Kors Fall 2009 strapless sheath dress, more of you will be swayed to liking her.

Her twins aren’t on display, she looks youthful, vibrant and sexy.

What’s not to love?

Best Modification Award
Jason Wu really understood his muse for the night, as he took this sophisticated business-like runway dress and turned it into a sexy mini for Diane Kruger.

Diane would look great in a bin liner lets face it, but the colour, length, fabric and embellished embroidered shoulders really looks amazing on her.

I hate to be picky but I really wish she would change her hairstyle more often. I feel like we see this style a lot.

Model Magic Award
Many of you who loved the Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2009 collection were non to happy when Rihanna arrived at the Met Gala wearing a black suit from the collection.

Molly Sims should bring that enthusiasm back because she looked so cute and playful wearing a Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2009 strapless dress, with a Marilyn Monroe print emblazoned on it.

Risk That Paid Off Award
This is a rare red carpet outing for Kirsten Dunst.

The actress always opts for bold pieces which don’t always work, but on this occasion she looks amazing.

Rodarte is never a safe choice. The pieces are bold, edgy and dynamic plus you need the right kind of attitude to pull a Rodarte piece off.

She totally does with grey Nicholas Kirkwood heels.

Most Theatrical Award
At first I really disliked Doutzen Kroes in this red Zac Posen gown, mostly because I thought it was too grand for her. Plus I’m so used to seeing her in Herve Leger I didn’t quite think it was her style.

Then I realised how much better the dress looks without the gold belt, and appreciated the way she had made an effort to make the gown work for her.

Best Vintage Award
As much as I appreciate the Olsen twins picking interesting vintage pieces, I would love to see them in something off-the-runway more often.

Ashley Olsen wore an orange vintage gown with gold leaf embroidery around the shoulders. Her look was complete with Van Cleef & Arpels jewels and Versace heels.

Some might say it’s a little too big for her. I would say it’s better than a bandage dress.

Glorious Glow Award
Even if Heidi Klum wasn’t pregnant and wearing a silver crushed lame Michael Kors asymmetrical mini dress, she would still glow. So these added elements only make her more beautiful.

Her silver Christian Louboutin Anthracite Ole Ole heels and clutch matched her dress, but it’s her earrings I’m drooling over.

Best Black Award
Claire Danes is never one I can get excited about on the red carpet, but I do love her quiet elegant style. Some would call it boring, for me is very understated.

The actress looked elegant wearing a black Narciso Rodriguez embroidered black silk crepe gown which was cut low at the front and open at the back.

Best Legs Award
Model Hilary Rhoda arrived wearing a gorgeous one-shouldered Calvin Klein dress which showed off how incredibly long her pins are.

If you got it flaunt it honey.

Her look was completed with her hair pulled back in a tight bun and a VBH clutch.

Stepping Out Of Her Comfort Zone Award
Maggie Grace is usually very boring on the red carpet, so imagine my surprise to see her wearing this Christian Siriano Spring 2009 grey ruffled confection.

Every time I see a variation of this dress on the red carpet it’s belted.

It would be nice to see it without a belt if its worn again in the future, but the belt does work for Maggie here.

Best Accessories Award
Stylist Rachel Zoe arrived wearing a Louis Vuitton peachy gown, which I first thought was a Marc Jacobs gown as it resembles the finale gowns that were presented in the Spring 2009 collection, but her twitter message confirm that it’s Louis Vuitton.

Her golden accessories including a Louis Vuitton clutch, vintage Chanel earrings, plus Yossi Harari rings and bracelets.

Simple Yet Always Elegant Award
Kerry Washington has opted for a lot of bold choices lately wearing Louis Vuitton edgy ensembles, so it’s nice to see her bring her look back to a softer more elegant style we usually associate her with.

Last night she glowed wearing a silverly grey Doo.Ri Resort 2010 sleeveless gown with a plunging neckline.

Her jewels were also simple and she opted for a matching silver Swarovski clutch.

Best Embellishments Award
Whist Melissa George’s Nicole Miller gown has no shape, I am totally captivated by the embroidered crystals on her strapless gown.  Exquisite.

Black to Black Award
Yes I’m referring to Coco Rocha hair, which she debut on her blog a few weeks ago.

The supermodel wore an asymmetrical Michael Kors red Resort 2010 slide dress with a black print.

Her look was paired with a gold cuff, black strappy sandals and a matching clutch.

The Wow Moment Award
Comedian Tracey Ullman really shocked me when I saw her in this glorious red Doo.Ri gown with an asymmetrical neckline.

I don’t think I have ever seen her look so fabulous.

No BoHo Award
Finally Whitney Port has ditched that hippy chick look, for a fresh sophisticated look wearing a Luca Luca Fall 2009 halter gown.

The draped silver beaded gown sparkled so beautifully. She really out did herself here. I’m totally wowed by her

Credit: B. Ach/INFevents.com & Wireimage

2009 CFDA Awards - Worst Dressed

2009 CFDA Awards – Worst Dressed

The McCartney Family Launches "Meat-Free Monday"

The McCartney Family Launches “Meat-Free Monday”

39 Responses to 2009 CFDA Awards – Best Dressed

1. xdittax June 16, 2009 at 11:48 #

All I can say is: wow!
    My God, all these woman look fantastic!
    I really can’t choose one favourite. Zoe, Diane, Ashley, Blake, Hilary, Heidi, Doutzen… outstanding!

2. Alice[*] June 16, 2009 at 11:49 #

Zoe is nice,but not a WOW moment for me;a quite look.
    Blake,oh Blake *__________* Gorgeous girl!
    Diane is great as usual,but you’re right.:she should try with a new hair’s look.
    I don’t particulary like Molly,but I love Kirsten.She’s such a nice girl and it’s always good to see her on red carpet,with interesting dresses.
    Douzten,too much.
    Ashley looks radiant in this vibrant colour;good choice ;)
    Heidi and Clare conferme theirselves as beutiful women with a personal style.
    Maggie and Hilary wear dresses which I adore,with wavelets.
    Rachel and Kerry don’t exalt me with these long dresses.
    Melissa is beautiful but I’m in love with Coco.The dress is perfect for her,she looks sexy,chic,young.Lovely girl (L).
    Tracey’s dress is cute.

I’ve noticed that there were a lot of orange/red dresses.It’s a good thing,pop colours are perfect for now.

3. r1ma June 16, 2009 at 11:50 #

I just have to get out there my outrage of Heidi Klum doing the whole Kate Moss met gala thing (sans turban) and I don’t like it! Do that at your own time, not a major event.

and me and my friend agreed that Molly Sims looks out of place in that Dolce…arent’ everyone else wearing American designers? What was Zoe thinking?! The dress is lovely but not here…and I am kind of peeved seeing it on Sims…

as for Kirsten, I always thought she was a Rodarte girl, especially after seing her at the shows…or maybe I am confusing her with Reese again…their styles are interchangeable to me

but I am so happy to Zoe on the top of the list! Yay !

4. Ling June 16, 2009 at 11:51 #

Wow! I admit when I saw the Worst Dressed I thought “They’re not that bad … the Best Dressed must be AMAZING” – so true!

LOVE Zoe, those accessories really liven up that dress; also love Hilary Rhoda and Maggie Grace. Molly Sims’ dress is so cute! I would say that Blake has to work on her posing before I can really appreciate how much her style has improved (and her hair looks like it’s been styled properly this time!) Not really feeling the Diane Kruger love – mainly because she needs a new hairstyle and I don’t really like the combination of red and black together. Well done for Doutzen for wearing something different, but I only really like the top half of her dress, the skirt hem detail looked better on the runway.

5. SydneyCheapChic June 16, 2009 at 11:54 #

Great Choices FC! Although I don’t think Zoe’s the best she does make the dress look great. I actually think Kirsten, Blake, Hilary and Ashley were better..

6. Cleopatra June 16, 2009 at 12:05 #

FC this was one of the most wonderful posts i simply loved loved loved many of the outfits here esp the first one on kruger which i simply MUST own. inspirational!

• Fashion Critic June 16, 2009 at 12:21 #

thanks sweetie :)

7. FashionAddict June 16, 2009 at 12:08 #

I love love Kirsten Dunst,Heidi Klum and Ashley Olsen
    but especially kirsten dunst,because the last time i saw her this dressed up was at those spider man -3 premieres,even at the gala she was like only 70 percent there,but this is like yowza!!
    I love her in this,I havent made it too obvious have I? lolz
    and those shoes have me drooling on my keyboard!

8. alannah June 16, 2009 at 12:27 #

ive been loving events like these, the met gala, and cannes because we see so many gorgeous dresses after many let downs from the award seasons earlier in the year.
    what did you think of whitney at this event?
    i thought she looked stunning.
    and i definitely love ashley, she has amazing style.

9. Lexa June 16, 2009 at 12:42 #

Zoe, Diane, Claire, Kirsten, Hilary, Kerry – all I can write is WOW! What great choices!
    The others look good too :)
    what a wonderful event! Thanks for posting that FC!

10. Ally June 16, 2009 at 13:15 #

Everyone looks stunning! These girls are going to make best dressed very hard this week. I don’t even think I could pick a best dressed from this group alone. I would probably go with Diane though b/c I adore her. I wish she had brought JJ with her though!

11. Louisa June 16, 2009 at 13:36 #

Zoe Saldana and Blake Lively really are the pick of the bunch – what beautiful flattering dresses! And so different with one vivid bright pink and the other elegant and understated. And FC do you (or anyone else) know what brand their shoes are?? *amazing*

I don’t think Kirsten Dunst’s risk paid off at all. The length seems unflattering on her, the colour washes out her fair skin tone, and her posture doesn’t help her carry it off… It might just be me, but I see her she as a worst dress contender as she seems to following a trend slavishly without being able to get away with it!

• stuti June 16, 2009 at 16:40 #

Blake is wearing Louboutins i guess? About Zoe, am not too sure.

12. Catherine June 16, 2009 at 14:13 #

Blake has covered up the legs and the twins, and she looks great. normally i think she shows a bit too much, but she looks amazing here.

the red Zac Posen dress on Doutzen..i’m sure Sara Paxton is wearing that dress on the runway in previews for ‘The Beautiful Life’..should be a good show for the fashion

13. cari June 16, 2009 at 14:30 #

awww everyone looks so PRETTY!! my favorites are zoe, doutzen, heidi, and maggie. you’re right, i’d love to see maggie’s dress sans belt, but it does work for her here.

i agree with ling’s comment on blake’s posing. i can’t quite put my finger on why blake always looks a little off on the red carpet. i think she does carry herself with confidence, but maybe what she needs is a little more ease and grace. less ducking of the head and falling of the hair, straighter back? she does have a lovely body to die for, but she looks a little uncomfortable with her sex appeal. there’s always seems to be something a little uncertain about her. “is this too tight? should i show more leg? less leg? smile? not smile?” i’m sure she will outgrow it!

• Fashion Critic June 16, 2009 at 17:24 #

I agree you can see she is thinking a lot about what she is doing

• nikita June 17, 2009 at 07:48 #

i dont diasgree.It wasnt so last year, but at ‘Pippa Lee’ premiere it you could tell. But have seen quite a few of the red carpet videos, she looks terrific on video 100% of the time, because there is something dynamic about her (as her name suggests) and her personality augments her looks. But you can see in the videos that once in front of camera flashes, she’s really awkward, I think it’s because she’s quite tall (she doesn’t know what to do with herself). And it shows in the pictures, where her posture is really off.

Some don’t like it while others find it adds to the charm, that she’s not totally polished. But yeah it can ruin her pics a little. It wasn’t the case at the MET though, I was amazed at how well she carried herself. She has admitted that she’s uncomfortable taking pictures(!) and that she’s an awkward person(!!!)

I’ll drop a video of Blake talking about the outfit. http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/06/blake_lively_beams_in_pink_mic.php

I think even when inelegant, she’s quite graceful. Sorry for the novel. heh

• Fashion Critic June 17, 2009 at 09:22 #

Thanks so much for that interview.

I’m very surprised she doesn’t have a stylist and picks from collections on Style.com.

*dreams I will be able to do that one day*

14. Anissa June 16, 2009 at 15:07 #

I truely hope that Claire is on the Best Dressed poll this week! She looks so effortlessly beautiful! And and I’m sure Zoe will be :)

As for Blake, you ask “what’s not to love?” and I say, her hair! Can she seriously not brush/wash it?! Honestly she kinda looks like Sienna on her day off.. It’s a great dress for her, but she’s got to do something about that hair. It’s a crime!

Thanks for posting all these glorious pics for us ;)

• Fashion Critic June 16, 2009 at 17:22 #

You are welcome, and lets see how the week goes with regards to BD ;)

15. André June 16, 2009 at 15:20 #

Diane Kruger is, without a doubt, THE best dressed woman at this event. She looks absolutely AMAZING.

Blake Lively is second, in my books. The colour is what puts her over the edge for me. Wish she’d do something else with her hair, though.

I can’t say I’m really wow-ed by any of the other ladies. Don’t get me wrong, they do look lovely but none of them have as awe-inspiring looks as Diane Kruger, for instance.

I’m not sure I like the Christian Siriano dress on Maggie Grace. Mostly because it’s belted. I find that the black belt and black peep-toes kind of diminish the look.

I also have to disagree with you where Kirsten Dunst is concerned. I love the dress but it’s the shoes that throw off the whole look.

16. mol June 16, 2009 at 15:29 #

Just…..wow!

17. mol June 16, 2009 at 18:07 #

My first look at this post was at 7 am – what a wake-up call! My favorite are Rachel Zoe, Melissa George and Whitney Port, but really they all look fierce!

18. zoe June 16, 2009 at 18:20 #

oh mygosh, i’m drooling over the gorgeousity of these ladies.
    zoe saldana really brings that calvin klein dress to life, as you said FC.
    blake is an absolute BOMBSHELL in that hot pink shift! this is one of my fave looks from her, if not my favorite.
    yeah, diane does look good but that tired hairstyle has been annoying me for months now. please do something with your hair. you don’t know how much i hate that hairstyle now, and it’s not like it makes her look young or anything. it’s a very marmy hairstyle.

ashley looks so fab…as usual!

doutzen is so beautiful. i could stare at her face all day.

heidi looks stupendous! this is one of her most beautiful moments. she looks flawless. i see nothing wrong with her outfit or hair or makeup, she looks great! i wonder if she’s having a girl
    i hope so! she’d be so cuteee!

i love that claire danes wears low cut stuff even though she doesn’t have much chest. woohoo for flatter chested girls!

maggie grace looks amzing and i’m loving rachel zoe in that LV.

whitney port looks so beautiful and glam! i’m glad she didn’t opt for a boho look either.

• Fashion Critic June 16, 2009 at 18:27 #

I’m praying she has a girl.

• ypsilon June 16, 2009 at 18:44 #

They confirmed a while ago that they will be having a girl.

• Fashion Critic June 16, 2009 at 18:47 #

fabulous

19. Raquel June 16, 2009 at 19:15 #

Ashley’s dress is quite stunning, but not on her. It’s too matronly for someone so petite and so young. I also think she lacks the aplomb to carry it…

I’m quite surprised with Tracey Ullmann, does she look good or what?

Hillary loosk great and so does Maggie.

Heidi just glows. Period.

I’m appalled with the amount of bad hair. Blake, Molly, Kistern, Melissa… girls, there’s a difference between casual and I-forgot-to-comb-my-hair!

20. nicole June 16, 2009 at 20:52 #

WOW what an impressive event..
    im in love with zoe, blake and diane!
    Blake is a siren in that pink dress!! and Zoe is always stunning. and i love the red on Diane.
    Also Whitney !!! omg she looks amazing!! her best look to date!

21. heather ♥ June 16, 2009 at 20:53 #

love Love LOOOVE all your picks here FC- couldn’t agree more!

My top 5 are
    Rachel (she’s in my absolute favorite colour), Whitney (such a departure from the usual, I hardly recognized her at first!),
    Dianne (always impeccable),
    Heidi (GLOWING!) and
    Hilary (gorgeous dress, great colour)!

Thanks for posting :)

22. Caligirl June 16, 2009 at 22:26 #

Love, Love Rachel Zoe!! That dress is gorgeous, a contender for best dressed I think.

Someone please tell Blake to hold her head up straight. She totally ruins all her pics!!

Love Diane Kruger!! I like Hiliary also. That dress is perfect for her!!

23. Hannah June 16, 2009 at 23:18 #

Anja Rubik chose a gorgeous dress, but I’m completely distracted by how skinny she is. While the other women look radiant, she really just seems to look unhealthy. There’s a difference between slim and starved!

24. alannah June 17, 2009 at 00:06 #

i really love the olsen girls make-up,or lack thereof at times.
    it always looks so flawless!

25. nikita June 17, 2009 at 07:54 #

Terrific post, I really enjoyed it. I cant pick any favourites out of these, too many great outfits :)

26. Lexa June 17, 2009 at 12:49 #

Anja looks breathtaking! Wonderful dress!

27. SarahV June 18, 2009 at 00:55 #

Awesome!!
    I like Zoe’s look best!

28. Alexandra June 18, 2009 at 10:38 #

Anja is just breathtaking.

Am I silly to be happy that she is Polish?

29. whitestroke June 22, 2009 at 17:05 #

In my book, both Zoe and Blake look really great and beautiful here, but I don’t find anything SPECIAL about their outfits. I could say the same for Kerry’s look. I think most women here could do better than this. Like also, Coco and Doutzen. (Yeah, it’s not Herve Leger, but damn, do I dislike that gown or what?!) One look I REALLY hate here is Molly Sims. I don’t like the way the dress sits on her. AND even more importantly, she’s not interesting enough to ruin such interesting stuff for other celebrities.

Looks I really like are Diane Kruger, Ashley Olsen, Hilary Rhoda, Rachel Zoe, and ESPECIALLY Kirsten Dunst. I’ve seen the closeups f her and I fell in love with it even more. I love her makeup, and that shade of blonde looks lovely on her. I don’t know is it for the role or Marla Ruzicka or what, but I know she didn’t have that shade before. The dress is amazing on her, great choice of shoes, too. Just an A+ overall.

30. Kellyn July 1, 2009 at 00:11 #

oh my gosh, anja has gotten so thin, almost as bad as the model from the lookbook!! she looks like death! the dress is beautiful, but still…….