15.06.09

12th Annual Shanghai International Film Festival

Halle Berry looked breathtakingly beautiful wearing a one-shouldered lilac Marchesa chiffon gown. Does this women ever have a day off not looking gorgeous?

The outstanding gown had silver crystal embroidery details on the bodice, which matched her bangles.

The actress is still working her sexy short do, but will eventually shave it off completely for her new movie “Nappily Ever After”. Brave girl.

It only Monday morning and we have two contenders for Best Dressed Of The Week.

Kelly Lin looks very sexy in her red hot plunging Versace Fall 2009 gown, with paillettes on one side of the bodice.

I love the colour, the gold clutch and matching bracelet.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find a full length picture of Fan Bing Bing wearing this pink Versace Spring 2009 gown.

The dramatic folds and bold colour helps this stunning gown stand out.

You may remember January Jones wore the blue version to the Golden Globes earlier this year.

I much prefer Li Bing Bing’s Chanel Spring 2009 ensemble on the runway.

I prefer the way the skirt sits lower, but I understand that Li wanted to show-off her Louis Vuitton Spicy heels.

Li’s skirt also has too much fou fou, I feel like it needs padding down.

Zhou Xun stepped in the Chanel archives, and picked out this gorgeous Fall 2007 Couture haltered creation.

I’m glad she didn’t try to style her embellished dress with a pink bow and cape, with the boots and gloves like on runway as it would have been overkill.

She kept her look simple opting only for black simple satin pumps and a black embellished clutch.

Zhang Ziyi was gorgeous as always wearing a low slung ivory strapless gown with rosette details on the hip.

Fang Bing Bing’s Salvatore Ferragamo red keyhole strapless gown is gorgeous, but unfortunately she doesn’t carry it as well as the model on the runway.

Its hard to tell if she just need to pull her gown down, or she’s just a wee bit short for the gown.

Betty Huang Yi opted for a quirky Louis Vuitton Spring 2009 ensemble which included a feathered skirt, and Spicy heels.  Her orange necklace, and bangles added some much needed colour to the this look.

Ruby Lin is one of my Best Dressed at this festival wearing a purple one-shouldered Versace Spring 2009 gown.  She’s glowing with gorgeousity.

Sun Li opted for a teal blue Valentino Spring 2009 off-the-shoulder gown. Simple, yet elegant.

After really impressing me at Cannes, Zhao Wei opts for a plunging black gown.

Actress Yu Nan wore an embellished haltered baby blue Valentino Spring 2009 with a draped detail on the skirt.

Charlene Choi also wore a dress from the same collection. She picked a cream one-shouldered mini with a layered skirt and embroidered bodice.

We haven’t seen many of these rise and fall Nina Ricci Spring 2009 gown on the red carpet, and we will still have to wait as Jang Seo-Hee opted to modified hers from the runway.

She still looks amazing though.

Miriam Yeung opted for a Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2009 high neck black dress, with JPG’s signature cross on the bodice.

Credit: CRIENGLISH/Liu Wei, sina.com & Wireimage

Women In Film's 2009 Crystal And Lucy Awards

Women In Film’s 2009 Crystal And Lucy Awards

In Emily Deschanel's Closet - Stella McCartney Tiger Print Dress

In Emily Deschanel’s Closet – Stella McCartney Tiger Print Dress

27 Responses to 12th Annual Shanghai International Film Festival

1. Boeshane June 15, 2009 at 12:28 #

Hey, asiatic celeb’ women are really taking great risky choices !

I love the red sexy and chic red dress Kelly Lin wear, and I’m impressed by Zhou Xun because I don’t think a lot of people could have wear this Chanel dress, still looking fresh and sophisticated.
    Halle Berry is gorgeous, as always.

2. ivette June 15, 2009 at 12:37 #

i think the purple dress Ruby Lin is wearing is versace spring 09
    she is my favorite in this post i think she looks amazing!!

3. Ally June 15, 2009 at 13:08 #

So much pretty! Love love love the purple Versace. Also, I had a friend who got a film into the Shanghai film festival this year :).

4. Lara X June 15, 2009 at 13:38 #

FC, I’m not sure I understood what you meant by stating that you’re glad that Zhou Xun didn’t overstyle her gown by adding the pink bow and cape from the runway? Doesn’t she have on a pink bow and cape? Just trying to figure out what you mean…

5. Lara X June 15, 2009 at 13:39 #

I think I understand now… after rereading 4 times lol! You meant you’re glad she didn’t try to style it by adding the gloves and thigh high boots, right?

6. Alexandra June 15, 2009 at 14:25 #

What an amazing plenty of outstanding dresses!

My favourites are: Ruby Lin in Versace – the dress is just impossibly beautiful! Zhou Xun in Chanel – this pink bow is just sweet, Sun Li in Valentino – such an elegant gown, Kelly Lin in Versace – i love the colour against her skin. And I don’t need to mention that I’m completely blown away by Halle Berry? It should be forbidden for one human to hold such amounts of beauty, charm and sex-appeal!!!

7. Davor June 15, 2009 at 14:26 #

Have you ever noticed that Asian women on big events in Asia (or anywhere else) (almost) always wear BIG fashion names (Valentino, Chanel (not always working out for everyone), Versace, Louis Vuitton, Dior…)… Fashion must be fun but it seems that the designer is all that matters for Asian woman… Although, I must say, there are some BRAVE fashion choices… Lol

• Dorian Gray June 15, 2009 at 16:02 #

Why wear other label when there is Versace? Donatella’s dresses rock! I love them all!

• Fashion Critic June 15, 2009 at 16:07 #

Davor, I both agree and disagree with your comment.

Yes there seems to be a set list of designers, but there could be many factors for this.

Marc Jacobs Ralph Lauren and Gucci have all just opened stores in Asia, so maybe it’s more a case of whats available.

I think these ladies are a breath of fresh air. We hardly get any re-runs, and we get to see all those Chanel and Dior pieces we hoped to see on the red carpet when they were presented.

8. Parvati June 15, 2009 at 16:04 #

So many gorgeous gowns in one single event!!! Asian actresses sure do know how to take risks and look gorgeous! Halle Berry also looked amazing!

9. robbie June 15, 2009 at 16:28 #

halle, she looks hot! im sure she will be like natalie portman they will both look drop dead gorgeous bald. that dress is stunning, love the crystal detail!

kelly, i love the red hot dress and the accessories simply beautiful.

fan, the dress is even nicer in pink than it was in blue. got to applaud her for choosing a bright colour like that.

li, this is a mess really hate it. especially the skirt far too puffy looks like a marshmallow. i prefered it on the runway.

zhou, WOW i love this one of the best at the event. so glad someone wore that dress it was one of my favourites from that collection.

zhang, i love the dress but i am lusting over those shoes!

fang, not sure about the dress it is nice on the model but on her not so much, its a little bit dark for an event filled with lots of colour.

betty, this is probably the first time i have liked something from this collection, apart from the shoes.

ruby, i LOVE that dress! simple but still stands out.

sun, i liked this dress on the runway but i love it on her.

zhao, its is nice but doesnt wow me.

yun, I LOVE THIS DRESS! seriously she looks perfect.

charlene, this is also another gorgeous dress. although im not sure if i like the shoes though they seem a little clunky for such a light flowy dress.

jang, i hope you find a full length picture of her. but judging from that picture she looks stunning.

miriam, blahhhh!

10. Elaine June 15, 2009 at 17:12 #

They are so gorgeous <3

11. Ling June 15, 2009 at 17:15 #

Wow what a well dressed event! I would say my favourites are Fan Bing Bing, Zhang Zi Yi, Ruby Lin and Zhao Wei – so gorgeous!

12. mol June 15, 2009 at 18:51 #

I’m sad too about no full length picture of
    Jang Seo-Hee in Nina Ricci – it was the best dress of this bunch for me. Lots may disagree, but I loved the way the model wore it with black sheer tights and open toe booties – it created a nice, slightly off frisson against the sheer pale pink (or apricot or lilac?) of the dress.

I really appreciate you bringing us events from other continents – bravo F.C.!

• Fashion Critic June 15, 2009 at 20:01 #

I try. It’s very hard to source photos though

13. antoneLLina June 15, 2009 at 19:53 #

zhang is a vision…even for the shoes!

14. Priscila June 15, 2009 at 20:01 #

I very surprised , everbody looks amazing !

15. Raquel June 15, 2009 at 20:49 #

Kelly and Betty look stunning.

Miriam and Charlene’s dresses are too beautiful for words.

16. Chiara Popalopa June 15, 2009 at 21:57 #

Thanks for this. It’s a whole bunch of dresses and really nice dresses!!

17. Pam June 15, 2009 at 22:11 #

Thanks for this post!
    I’m asian fans, so is nice to see this!!!!

18. MIJO June 16, 2009 at 01:11 #

:C( jang seo hee’s dress is modified and it just look sorta plain to me now meh… heres the link though
    http%

19. Mijo June 16, 2009 at 01:16 #

here is the full view of jang seo hee dress its modified its okay… but lacks the originals look :(

its a video btw

20. materialisticdisorders June 16, 2009 at 05:11 #

Li Bing Bing’s Chanel skirt is horrendous. Im sure its what breeded the infamous Bjork Swan of the Oscars

21. whitestroke June 20, 2009 at 20:08 #

I’m not as bowled over with these as I usually am with Asian events, but I can say Yu Nan is my favorite one here. And I think Zhou Xun works that horrendous runway look quite good.