04.06.09

Michelle Obama Lunches With Nancy Reagan Wearing Michael Kors & The Gap

The former First Lady Nancy Reagan, and the current First Lady, Michelle Obama lunched yesterday at the White House.

I’m always interested to hear what you guys think about Michelle’s style.

Especially on this occasion as she is wearing a floral Gap cardigan – which is currently on sale, with a  pink striped Gap tee, paired with a white lacquered boucle Michael Kors skirt.

A single strand of pearls, a diamond bracelet, and I’m guessing kitten heels, completed the look.

Source: Official White House Photo by Samantha Appleton

Royal Academy of Arts Summer Exhibition Preview Party

Royal Academy of Arts Summer Exhibition Preview Party

In Chloe Sevigny's Closet - Chloe Scalloped-Edge Blazer

In Chloe Sevigny’s Closet – Chloe Scalloped-Edge Blazer

23 Responses to Michelle Obama Lunches With Nancy Reagan Wearing Michael Kors & The Gap

1. Raquel June 4, 2009 at 16:25 #

Will the cardigan insanity ever stop??!!

I love Michelle. I love that she is always efortless chic. I love that she is taller than her husband and wears heels. I love that she knows her body. I love that after 8 freaking years of Laura Bush’s boring style the First Lady of US likes fashion and uses fashion as a way to express her personality.

But I loathe the cardigan look. It’s too informal for 95% of the events she attends. It’s simply not appropriated!

Look at this. There we have a former US First Lady, a frail old lady who wore a nice tailleur and heels for the unveiling of a statue of her husband in the Capital (the lunch with Michelle was at the same day). Nancy Reagan deserves more than being received by the current US First Lady wearing a cotton cardigan and tee. It’s a “formal informal” event, in the sense that the lunch of two US First Ladies is not the G8 summit, but it is not a casual meeting at the grocery store either.

I don’t care if it’s Gap or Chanel. This IS too casual for the occasion. This is something to hunt Eastern eggs with her kids, read books for poor children or receive five graders doing a tour at the White House.

And while I’m at it, someone please tell Michelle to button down that cardigan. The one botton look makes her hips wider and gives her a tummy she doesn’t have.

And last, but not least, there’s a difference between sticking to something that works for you (Kate Winslet and her column dresses, Nicole Ritchie and her boho style) and wearing an uniform in different colors and textures all the time.

Raquel – who abhors the cardigan look and isn’t afraid of saying so.

• Fashion Critic June 4, 2009 at 16:35 #

I loved every word of your comment :)

• marika June 4, 2009 at 17:01 #

two different patterns in one outfit: usually not a good look to pull off. i agree with raquel. michelle is refreshing because she avoids wearing traditional, conservative ‘first lady-ish’ clothes. nevertheless, she has to learn to balance her youthful fashion sense with a bit of ‘formality’. i mean, she doesn’t have to sacrifice her style when dressing appropriately, right?

• Alexandra June 4, 2009 at 17:07 #

you’re perfectly right, Raquel. you put in words everything I wanted to say!

• D Allan June 7, 2009 at 12:04 #

get a life she can weare what she want to weare
      she looks good to me……………

2. Swatky June 4, 2009 at 16:34 #

She is always so stylish… A true first lady… :-) She always dresses proprely to her body and role… She’s great… :-)

3. zoe June 4, 2009 at 16:41 #

she looks great! i love how she mixed prints. the stripes and the graphic floral/lacy print look well together because they’re both in the same color family and the cuts of the shirt and the cardigan are simple.

4. robbie June 4, 2009 at 16:48 #

wonder how long it will be before that cardigan is sold out. i might buy it for my mum as a present she said she loved it.

5. Tina Marie June 4, 2009 at 16:48 #

I am an american woman and I love the fact that I can accually relate to the way she dresses. I think she is real and beautiful.

6. ber June 4, 2009 at 18:20 #

Two different prints? This look isn’t working for me.

7. The Fashion Time Magazine June 4, 2009 at 18:47 #

Florals and stripes aren’t working together( It’s sad to admit it but Nancy Reagan looks more elegant than Michelle does.

8. James June 4, 2009 at 20:20 #

A Cardigan is a Classic & Timeless garment that can be worn @ any event! It also allows Mrs. Regan to be noticed as the Guest of Honor.

9. Dy June 4, 2009 at 22:30 #

Barack is 6′ 2″. Michelle is 5′ 11″ without heels.

• Raquel June 5, 2009 at 03:02 #

Dy,

I meant that she is taller than him in heels and wears heels all the same. Sorry if it was poor explained, but English isn’t my first lanaguge and sometimes what I think is clear actually isn’t.

10. georgia maude June 4, 2009 at 22:58 #

The most exciting thing about Michelle is that she is doing her own thing. Once fashion starts mandating “rules” it ceases to have any style at all.

11. DM June 5, 2009 at 01:45 #

OMFG When will Michelle Obama put the cardigan to rest?! She always looks SOOOOOO underdressed and it is so sad. I am embarassed!

12. shoeaholic June 5, 2009 at 10:13 #

I was always on Michelle’s side of this debate, I really like how she pulled the cardigans off. This time it doesn’t quite work for me either, but I’m actually most frustrated with the hair, it’s too old for her!

13. D Allan June 7, 2009 at 12:11 #

I thing every one should just let michelle do her thing ………….. she looks great to me

14. B Reece June 7, 2009 at 18:04 #

At first I thought the cardigan was inappropriate,,however, she was home and it was lunch. So Michelle do your thing! You”re beautiful

15. efia June 8, 2009 at 01:56 #

Actually I agree with Raquel. If nothing else, at least, Michelle could get her sweaters in a size that FITS! I always wonder why her sweaters look like they were in the dryer too long!

16. Edy Williams June 9, 2009 at 03:04 #

I think Michelle should indeed wramp up her dress look.
    I do feel she is much too casual for many occasions. As the one with Nancy, the age difference alone demanded more formal attire. Night attire that is sleeveless, I think is fine, but during the day, sleeveless
    demands a throw or cover, it is too informal for some of the affairs she has attended. Regardless of how buff her arms are. The cardigan is fine if she’s going to the super market. The strip and floral was a great combination, for shopping.

17. Edy Williams June 9, 2009 at 03:05 #

comment is above !!

18. Alysa Daniels June 22, 2009 at 05:59 #

I noticed she was wearing a Gap cardigan and tee right away! Love her simple style =D