28.05.09

Winona Ryder For Elle UK July 2009

Winona Ryder graces the cover of  Elle UK’s July 2009 issue, shot by Matthias Vriens McGrath.

On the newsstand cover, she wears a nude tulle Dolce & Gabbana corset, and on the subscribers cover, she wears a simple black American Apparel top.

In the interview, Winona talks about childhood bullies, leading roles, beauty and her latest film, “The Private Lives of Pippa Lee”.

On Being Bullied: “We only shopped at the Salvation Army, and I would get these three-piece, 1970s little boy suits. I had really short hair, and the third day of seventh grade, these kids basically jumped me in the hall because they thought I was a gay boy, and they roughed me up… I think when that happened, I kind of went into a movie in my head because I couldn’t deal with what was happening. Kids would say, ‘You’re a witch, you’re creepy, you’re crazy.’ I was in the number-one movie in the country and I was still being bullied in school.”

On Leading Roles: “For a few years after Beetlejuice I was cast as the outcast, so I thought that was my path. I sort of had it in my head that I was going to be a character actress. Then I did Heathers and it was the first time I had convinced people I could play [a pretty girl]. I went to get my make-up done for the audition. And then after that I got more substantial roles. And it’s funny in your career, you’re a leading lady for a while and then you end up wanting the character roles again.”

On Beauty: “I thought it was cooler to be interesting than to be pretty. I must have got that from my parents, who felt strongly about being an individual and being your own person and that looks aren’t everything. I always knew that I wasn’t, you know, beautiful. I never wanted to be beautiful, I never wanted to be a cheerleader.”

Gieves & Hawks shirt, customised tights by Falke / Silk dress and satin and lace shoes both by D&G.

Wool top by American Apparel and Boots by Chanel / Cotton shirt and velvet skirt by Miu Miu. Leather belt by Nina Ricci.

Source

37th Annual FiFi Awards

37th Annual FiFi Awards

In Chloe Sevigny's Closet - Chloé Scallop Shorts

In Chloe Sevigny’s Closet – Chloé Scallop Shorts

9 Responses to Winona Ryder For Elle UK July 2009

1. louis May 28, 2009 at 16:27 #

I like this. I don’t know about you FC but British Elle has really, really impressed me these past few years. They are always doing really interesting but still commercial and striking covers.

• Fashion Critic May 28, 2009 at 16:35 #

I totally agree.

Elle is the first magazine I pick up every month, no matter who is on the cover, because of the good editorials, and great articles.

I don’t get that whole Chloe Sevigny “writing for Elle” part though. That felt very insincere.

2. zoe May 28, 2009 at 17:47 #

winona ryder is beautiful. i love her features and her skin looks so good! the only thing is…i’ve found her kind of strange ever since she was arrested for that shoplifting thing. why would you have to shoplift when you’re famous? i mean, i’m sure she had money…and famous people get free stuff all the time. i know the shoplifting thing was a while ago, but i still can’t forget about it.

3. Sydne May 28, 2009 at 20:02 #

Jealous you guys got Winona Ryder on your cover. Megan Fox US Elle’s covergirl this month and looks like she should be on a men’s mag. Plus, she’s wearing that Alexander Wang sheer embroidered dress that Topshop already knocked off! I would much prefer to stare at Winona.

4. Louis May 29, 2009 at 11:48 #

You sound like quite a judgemental person Zoe. It was years ago and Winona had substance abuse issues at the time and wasn’t really acting her self.

5. loletta May 29, 2009 at 12:09 #

I like Winona , i think she´s beautiful and very good actress .

6. lenny May 30, 2009 at 13:59 #

yeah,very good actress with a great sense of style

7. husky August 3, 2009 at 08:12 #

good~~~~~

8. smile October 9, 2009 at 20:22 #

I think Wyona looks so pretty, she looks great for her age. I’m so glad she cut her hair, the shorter haircut makes her look younger.