26.05.09 Interview

My Interview With Elie Saab

A few weeks ago, I interviewed Mr Elie Saab.

It’s stunning Couture gowns, like the ones he creates, which inspired me to start this blog.

The Lebanese designer most recently dressed Robin Wright Penn and Elsa Pataky for Cannes Film Festival, and continues to dress some of the most glamourous women in the world.

How would you describe the ‘Elie Saab’ Woman?
Elegant and glamorous.

What are your basic design principles?
To get the right cut of dress in order to highlight the woman’s figure at best, the woman should wear the dress and not the dress wears her.

Where do you seek inspiration?
It depends, anywhere I feel it, it could be a trip I make, an era in time, a movie..really anything can inspire me.

Do you have a muse?
Always the woman, an elegant woman with character.

What does your average day entail?
Before anything, I’d like to take it easy in the morning so I set my mood for the day, I take my coffee and exercise then head to my office where I go doing the usual, meet with my couture clients and work on new collections.

What message do you try to convey with each collection?
Innovation, a good product and the possibility for my clients to dream.

Which is your preferred season, Spring or Fall?
I usually do better in Spring as I like to work with light fabrics, I love the movement those fabric give anyhow you work with them.

A lot of celebrities wear your gowns on the red carpet. Does what they wear have an increase of interest on the particular gown worn, or on the Elie Saab brand as a whole?
Both, as we usually receive a lot of requests on the day after the event, asking about that particular dress, it also increases the interest in the brand in general, a red carpet event has a great exposure.

Your Fall 2009 collection features a lot of daywear pieces for the first time, was this a request from your customers, or a natural progression?
A natural progression, I believe in change and in being creative all the time, fashion gives us this opportunity, so I feel it as a normal change also in giving my customers new styles and varieties.

What’s been your most memorable moment to date and why?
I would cite my very first international move, from Beirut to Rome Italy, it was my first fashion show attended by the international press and clients and VIPs, it was the beginning of my international move, and was very emotional.

What do you love most about fashion?
The ability in being creative, it has no boundaries and limits.

What can we expect from your Fall 2009 Couture collection?
It is a bit early to reveal, but its under preparation…

If you could give women one piece of fashion advice, what would it be?
Only wear what fits you, don’t let the clothes wear you.

Click here to read my interview with Jason Wu.

Source & Source & Source

In Mandy Moore's Closet - Miu Miu Short Sleeved Dress

In Mandy Moore’s Closet – Miu Miu Short Sleeved Dress

In Lynn Collins' Closet - Philosophy Di Alberta Ferretti

In Lynn Collins’ Closet – Philosophy Di Alberta Ferretti

28 Responses to My Interview With Elie Saab

1. eder May 26, 2009 at 18:05 #

Great interview! He´s one of the my favourites designers!

2. robbie May 26, 2009 at 18:22 #

great interview as always FC, you are so lucky. i hate you right now :-P. he seems very down to earth.

i wish you could interview karl lagerfeld that would be a very interesting interview.

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2009 at 18:27 #

That would be amazing. I’m working on trying to interview other designers, but Uncle Karl might be out of reach. But you never know. fingers crossed

• robbie May 26, 2009 at 19:58 #

yup fingers and toes and everything else crossed. if you ever did get to interview him it would be like wow, especially since he rarely seems to give interviews.

i do love your interviews they always seem natural.

3. boogie May 26, 2009 at 18:33 #

great interview!!!

4. Nawar May 26, 2009 at 18:41 #

Oh My God ,, he’s like one of Idols :D

how did it feel seeing him face to face ,, just by reading the interview my heart started bumping soo fast LOL ,, even though I wasn’t there

“highlight the woman’s figure at best” ,, so inspiring

great interview ,, thank you so much

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2009 at 18:43 #

He’s a very nice charming, humble man. Just as you would imagine him to be.

5. Lauren May 26, 2009 at 19:23 #

Wow you are soo lucky! I would give anything just to be in the same room as the likes of these people never mind to be able to interview them!! Its an amazing interview aswell!

6. Moody Crab May 26, 2009 at 19:49 #

Saab, Zuhair Murad and Basil Soda are my fave designers. I’m glad you interviewed him. He seems like a really nice guy. Now, if only he would be my uncle *dreamy sigh*

Well done FC! I’m looking forward to more interviews!!

Always a fan,
    Moody Crab

7. zoe May 26, 2009 at 21:25 #

congratulations on being able to interview elie saab!
    sigh, you’re famous FC!
    i love mr. saab’s advice. it’s advice my mom has given me, and advice i dispense freely–don’t let the clothes wear you. there are too many women who let clothes wear them. they are more focused on the size number than if the clothes actually fit them, and they’re too focused on trends, even if they don’t flatter them.

8. Vania May 26, 2009 at 21:34 #

Congratulation FC!!!
    a great interview!!

9. Swatky May 26, 2009 at 21:41 #

I wont tell you the interview is great, as it is obvious… I will just tell you one thing: you are one lucky girl :-D
    Wish I met him… :-(

10. SarahV May 26, 2009 at 23:10 #

Whoa congrats!! That’s awesome!

And I want to thank you for this wonderful site, it really does fill a little gap my days used to have..

11. Mai May 27, 2009 at 00:01 #

Great Interview!!! He is totally right about wearing clothes that are right for you.

12. gadja May 27, 2009 at 00:02 #

OMG did you actually meet him or was it on the phone or through the internet??!

13. Silvana Stredel May 27, 2009 at 00:20 #

ok… I hate you right now….
    he is my FAVOURITE designer of ALL times ok?!?!?
    I think I had a heart attack when I read that title ”My interview with Elie Saab”
    ..youre so lucky girl, i hope someday I can be so effing fashionista I can get to interview my favourite fashion designers like you do

14. maru May 27, 2009 at 02:29 #

very nice, FC! any chance these super designers offered to loan you one of their creations? now that would be stupendous ;)

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2009 at 08:54 #

I would faint :)

15. random May 27, 2009 at 04:13 #

I hope you realise that High Heel Confidential blatantly copy your blog right from the style of post titles, to their interview questions etc often without crediting you.

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2009 at 08:54 #

I have spoken to the owners many times, and we have a good blogger-to-blogger relationship. Sharing many pieces of information.

Their are a lot of similarities, yes I agree, but they have credited me on many things, so I can’t begrudge them.

16. Fashion Addict May 27, 2009 at 05:27 #

Wow great interview…what would i do to be a day in your shoes!!!
    i just wished you had asked him what his favorite red carpet collaboration was…

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2009 at 08:46 #

Yes it would have been. I’d imagine his answer being very diplomat though :)

17. Noor May 27, 2009 at 06:18 #

He’s a genius, i have never seen a “bad or ugly” dress by him
    the most successful arabian designer of all time

18. nicole May 27, 2009 at 07:31 #

Great interview FC!!!! I absolutely love the fabulous gowns he creates that realy are amazing to see on the red carpet or in fashion shoots.

19. ella May 27, 2009 at 08:32 #

OMG!!
    u r so lucky he is my favorite designer absolutely stunning gowns i love everything he creates

20. Ahot May 27, 2009 at 11:31 #

Frankly, i don’t see who can challenge you out there. If anything, this is another attest. Girl you rule the (blogging) world!
    Lucky one you can commit yourself to your passion. there is nothing better in this world imao

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2009 at 11:52 #

Wow. That is very high praise indeed.

21. Ahot May 27, 2009 at 12:06 #

No, it’s simply the truth….