26.05.09

Best Of Cannes Film Festival

Top 10 Dresses
Abbie Cornish might be the surprise inclusion here, but the more I saw her Toni Maticevski gown, the more I loved it.

My mind changes all the time as to who was my overall Best Dressed, which is why I picked a top 10.

Who was your favourite?

2009 Cannes Film Festival Most Worn Designer – Roberto Cavalli
On my count Roberto Cavalli dressed 18 of the most beautiful women at Cannes Film Festival.

Dolce & Gabbana followed, which is not surprising considering their party at Cannes, and third was Christian Dior.

Couturier of 2009 Cannes Film Festival – Armani Prive
Armani Privé was the most worn of the couture designers at Cannes.  Their dresses were mostly worn by the judges.

My count made it 10, followed by Chanel and Versace.

Cannes Couture Queen & Best Dressed Judge – Isabelle Huppert
Head judge, and two-time Palme d’Or winner herself Isabelle Huppert wore more Couture than any other woman to walk the red carpet.

She oozed sophistication, and wasn’t afraid to risks, all great qualities Cate Blanchett possesses.

Source

Olivia Palermo's Obsession - YSL Tribute Sandals

Olivia Palermo’s Obsession – YSL Tribute Sandals

Mardan Palace Launch Cocktail Reception

Mardan Palace Launch Cocktail Reception

29 Comments

29 Responses to Best Of Cannes Film Festival

1. Mina May 26, 2009 at 15:03 #

Your coverage of Cannes was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Thank you so much for your hard work.

I also LOVED Michelle Yeoh in that green Versace gown. She looked so incredibly regal and elegant.

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2009 at 15:09 #

My pleasure. It was much better than the Oscars and Met Gala.

2. IRIS. May 26, 2009 at 15:09 #

I really loved Asia in that red Armani privé dress… she looked so sensual, dangerous and mysterious lol. i would not be able to pick a top ten though : )

3. Bego May 26, 2009 at 15:23 #

To me, Rachel and Diane have been the best dressed, although i would pick your whole top ten, there have been amazing gowns!

4. zoe May 26, 2009 at 15:23 #

i’m sad that cannes has come to an end. so many of the actresses were so amazingly and beautifully dressed! i wish they could dress like this everyday. i would have definitely included michelle yeoh’s green versace in that top 10 list, but the dresses you picked were very nice. i’ll never forget devon aoki in that lime green dress. she looked flawless.

isabelle huppert impressed me so much in cannes. she deserves the title of queen of couture!

5. eder May 26, 2009 at 15:46 #

My best dressed were Devon Aoki, Diane Kruger and Michelle Yeoh

The best dressed judge was Isabelle Huppert without doubt, she always looked beautiful

6. CathyG May 26, 2009 at 15:51 #

So glad you included Abbie in the Maticevski- this, along with Devon in the lime green, were my favorite looks of the festival. And you are so right, Cannes fashion was better than the Met and the Oscars combined!

7. Swatky May 26, 2009 at 16:05 #

I totally agreee with your choise… It was a really hard decision, as many women were awesome… Thank you for your fabulous work, as always…

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2009 at 16:31 #

• Swatky May 27, 2009 at 15:56 #

Btw, I forgot to ask… I can’t find any pictures of the closing night, did they have any ceremony ? I was kind of hoping for it…

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2009 at 16:26 #

They usually do, but they didn’t on this occasion. I was looking out for it too.

8. ASilva May 26, 2009 at 16:13 #

How about Angelina?
    She sould definitely be in the top 10

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2009 at 16:30 #

I think I would struggle to put Angelina in the Top 20.

I like that she didn’t wearing black, but I think there were much better gowns at Cannes.

9. Ling May 26, 2009 at 16:37 #

I agree with most of your top 10 choices, apart from Abbie Cornish and Evagaline (still prefer her Valentino dress, I think it suits her athletic style more!) Michelle Yeoh also had a great run of dresses too. So sad it’s all over now :(

10. SydneyCheapChic May 26, 2009 at 18:32 #

I’m glad Abbie Cornish & an aussie designer was there.. My favourite is still Diane in the Marchesa.. although i think the dress’ beauty can’t be seen as much in the smaller photos.

11. nicole May 26, 2009 at 18:54 #

Rachel, Diane and Eva are my fav in their gowns.
    Dont like Abby’s gown…
    Isabelle Huppert looked amazing in every look..
    Great work covering the Cannes events FC!

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2009 at 18:56 #

;) Thanks Nicole

12. patti May 26, 2009 at 21:06 #

my favourite was absolutely natasha poly in cavalli. she looked STUNNING.
    and also, rachel looked beautiful in green.

13. Pablo May 26, 2009 at 22:42 #

Thanx for your Cannes coverage!! It’s been such a great edition!! Glamour is boosting to Oscar levels in this festival don’t you think?

I have to say i’m amazed by Eva Longoria’s dress!! Total work of art!!

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2009 at 08:57 #

Yes, I agree. It was like mini Oscars for 11 days. Pure heaven

14. DM May 26, 2009 at 23:08 #

Eva & Rachel were definitely the best dressed at Cannes!

15. Elaine May 27, 2009 at 01:47 #

I am so happy you didn’t put Angelina in there!
    Thank you for your coverage!
    And I have officially fallen in love with Devon!

16. tess May 27, 2009 at 05:22 #

nice selection.but i think aishwarya in her Elie Saab gown was also a gud contender…

17. PB May 27, 2009 at 10:14 #

18. Ahot May 27, 2009 at 12:02 #

I actually like Angelinas dress a lot. i think people fail to see it beauty because she hadn’t posed alone, so we didn’t get a chance to see all the fine details. this drapé was une oeuvre d’art. cannes was amazing and glamourous and isabelle Huppert was divine. Très chic!

19. helene May 27, 2009 at 12:59 #

You should have find a picture of Leiticia Casta…. she was just amazing!!!!she was on the front page of every newspapers here in France on sunday

20. Alexis May 27, 2009 at 13:06 #

I’m so glad you included Tilda. I would also include Dita in Jean Paul Gaultier, Angelina, Evangeline in the blue Valentino, Shue in Roberto Cavalli and Elsa in Elie Saab at the “Chopard Cascade” Perfume Launch. My favorite one of Cannes is Isabelle Huppert, impeccable in every event.

21. Parvati May 27, 2009 at 16:28 #

It was an amazing year for the Cannes Film Festival, fashionwise! From your Top 10, I would choose Rachel Weisz, definitely, with her beautiful green Valentino gown. But like at a previous Best Dressed of the Week poll, I’m surprised you included Elizabeth Banks’ red Armani Prive gown, instead of her Andrew Gn blue one, which was g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s!
    Anyway, I also loved Diane Kruger’s Marchesa gown and Dita Von Teese’s Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture dress. And I was really surprised to see Asia Argento look so good! She’s a beautiful woman, but it never seemed to me that she could make a Couture gown work – and she proved me wrong! But, unlike most people here, I really disliked Angelina Jolie’s appearance. She looked so good at the previous 2 festivals – especially last year, in that beautiful Max Azria -, but I think this year’s nude Versace gown, her hairstyle and the red lips did nothing for her.

22. lisa May 30, 2009 at 01:04 #

Surprisingly you didn’t pick Shu Qi, her dress at the closing ceremony is fabulous. I prefer this much more than ziyi’s backless dress. Actually in my opinion, ziyi’s hair accessory looks a bit silly, mind me of Paris Hilton.