2009 Cannes Film Festival – “Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky” Premiere

Much better.

I hadn’t been a fan of Kerry Washington’s two previous looks, but she sure knows how to make me fall in love again.

She arrived on the red carpet wearing a flesh coloured Zuhair Murad Spring 2009 gown, covered in navy blue floral embellishments and a velvet navy ribbon.

We’ve seen this silhouette a lot at Cannes, but her floor-sweeping fishtail tulle train added to the overall glamour of the look.

Her bouffant was bouncy with beautiful tumbling curls, whilst her make-up kept light.

Myleene Klass wore a very similar version of this gown last week.

Charlotte Gainsbourg won the best actress prize at the Cannes Film Festival last night for her role as a grieving mother in the film ‘Antichrist’.

She arrived at this premiere with her husband wearing a gold studded Balenciaga Resort 2009 shortened dress, which she wore with black strappy Balenciaga heels.

I love her carefree approach to fashion.

Asia Argento has had a fantastic run on the red carpet at Cannes, and it seems her preferred collections were from Roberto Cavalli and Armani Privé.

She picked another outstanding Armani Privé Spring 2009 gown for this premiere.

It had a sculptural detail on the shoulder and the skirt, which then trails off into a stunning train.

Her heels compliment the gown, and I love the print which lines inside of this magnificent gown.

Georgina Chapman wore a satin-faced silk organza dress from her Marchesa Spring 2009 collection, which is architecturally pleated to dramatic effect but it looks slightly flat whilst standing so close too her husband.

Satin Louboutin’s complete the look.

Isabelle Huppert and Asia, will have to fight it out for the honour of ‘Queen of Couture’ at this years Cannes Film Festival. Both have worn such magnificent pieces.

Isabelle has worn some cutting edge and risqué pieces, but on this occasion she opted for a Spring 2009 Chanel Couture gown which was so elegant, delicate, and sophisticated.

Zhang Ziyi looked like a fairytale princess in this wonderful blush pink paillette covered gown, which was cut very low at the back.

Her gown was paired with a silver clutch, and she may have been inspired Paris Hilton as she wore a jeweled hair accessory.

When I saw Robin Wright Penn wearing this shimmering sheer black gown, the first person to come to mind was Sharon Stone.

That’s not a good thing.

Shu Qi’s blue one-shouldered Roberto Cavalli gown was embellished around waist, and on the shoulder strap with black crystals.

Her sapphire blue earrings and ring, complimented her gown beautifully.

Anna Mouglalis wore an eye-catching green satin gown, with an exaggerating bow, as she smoldered for the cameras.

[nggallery id=41]

Source & Source & Source

17 thoughts on “2009 Cannes Film Festival – “Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky” Premiere

1. Ling

I love Shu Qi and Asia’s outfits, I think they’re their best out of this festival so far (although they’ve worn so many dresses I’ve lost track by now!) I’m a little disappointed in Georgina Chapman, the dress looked so much better on the runway model – it just looks so ordinary and flat on her.

2. eder

Kerry looks really beautiful, the dress is amazing

Charlotte´s dress is good, but I hate the shoes she is wearing

Asia, always beautiful

For once, I don´t like Georgina´s dress, I think the dress looked bettern on the model

Isabella, looks very good,

I like Zhang Ziyi´s dress, but I´m not sure about the headband

Robin… really really bad, as you said she looks like Sharon Stone

Shu Qi, looks amazing, the dress is very beautiful, and her earrings and ring complimented her dress very good

Anna´s dress is very beautiful, I love the colour, we have seen many green dresses in the festival, but I wish she had choosen another shoes

3. André

I think that Robin looks rather amazing in her dress, personally. She manages to look sexy but still classy at the same time which Sharon Stone usually fails at.

4. Gasp

I think this is the best redcarpet seen in Cannes! All this gowns are amazing! I love Kerry Washington’s dress: it’s really a piece of art and it’s so much better in the longer version! Love that color with her brown skin! Anna looks so sophisticated and self confident! I like very much also Zhang makeup.. I also think she is carrying a Kiosque Evening Bag by Swarovski..

5. zoe

i absolutely love cannes.
    reading these entries make me so happy, hahahaha :)
    all of the women in this entry look outstanding–yes, even robin. i really like her daring look. she looks like she is having fun.

6. David

The week hasn’t started yet, and one of these ladies already earned herself the BDOTW title, in my opinion. For example, Isabelle Huppert! Regal as it gets! Don’t you think it’s about time to see an elegant grown-up woman winning? Nothing against Diane Kruger and Co, but it seems that no matter what they’ll wear, the older ladies don’t have a chance to win this poll.

7. Profashionelle

I agree with the previous commenters who said Robin looked great. I think she looks smokin’ hot! But I understand that a lot of people are on the fence about the dress since it’s such a daring one which in order to be pulled off properly needs the right attitude and lots of class, so it won’t come off cheap.

1. Fashion Critic Post author

Yep Harvey Weinstein, The American film producer and movie studio chairman

8. worldofcarmela

Kerry: wow! The dress is amazing. I am not fond of her hair, but it kind of works with this look.

Charlotte: I like it, it seems like her. But maybe a little “casual”.

Asia: Beautiful dress, but not my style, so I’m not wowed.

Georgina: She looks better than I could ever dream, so I feel bad picking on her. But – The dress doesnt even seem the same, so next to the runway-photo, she fades.

Isabella: ME LIKE!

Zhang: Looks very good, like the dress. But the Paris comment kind of turned me off the headband!

Robin: Beautiful woman, but as you said: Sharon Stone. Bad bad.

Shu: Beautiful!! She looks gorgeous. Not a look I’ll remember for long, but I have no negative comments.

Anna: Not big fond of splits, but other than that she looks amazing. The color, the necklace.
    :) Great carpet!

9. antoneLLina

kerry is simply gorgeus ( as always )
    asia i love your style!
    zhang is so cute, elegant, and i can’t find anything similar with paris. and i have to say that when i saw featured picture i just say OMG, her face is AMAZING.

10. Anissa

When I saw Myleene Klass last week, and recall thinking “oh I hope someone wears the full length version!” Yay! Kerry looks so great!
    I also have to say that Shu Qi looks amazing and so at ease w/ her whole look.

11. Amy

I was really captivated of Shu Qi’s blue one-shouldered Roberto Cavalli gown. I am a blue lover so I really love her dress. She look like a goddess on that gown.