22.05.09

2009 Cannes Film Festival – amfAR Cinema Against AIDS Benefit

Creating a sensation at the charity benefit, Diane Kruger looked outstanding in a white Chanel Spring 2009 Couture ensemble.

For me it doesn’t have the same impact as her Marchesa gown which made my heart melt, but she still looks amazing.

I love the square shouldered cropped jacket, the cute black bow – which we know she loves – and the interesting shaped skirt, which reveals a lace lining.

A bejeweled clutch and Louboutin’s complete the look.

With so many great dresses this week, would it be fair to include both Diane’s looks in Best Dressed of the Week?

Only Dita von Teese can get away with wearing a Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2009 Couture dress, with a transparent skirt revealing her garter.

That’s because she oozes class and chic sophistication.

I’m much more inspired by her in this dress than her previous Dior Couture dress.

I love Marion Cotillard, and her association with Dior is a match made in heaven but I would have loved something more dramatic from her.

Her pale blue Christian Dior Fall 2009 embroidered gown is gorgeous, as it brightens up her complexion.

You know saying, “Take one thing off before you leave the house”?

Well Paris Hilton should have taken off 3.

The headband, the necklace and the bracelet.

Her Basil Soda Spring 2009 Couture gown is already dripping with embellishments around the waist, that she needn’t have over cooked it.

This gown is quite dark and dramatic for Paris. I’m surprised she didn’t pick something more sugary.

Donatella Versace’s modification on her Versace Fall 2009 cornflower blue gown are very subtle.

I prefer her softer blue strapless gown.

The bodice is longer plus her gown has a fuller skirt.

I’m a constant admirer of how immaculate she always looks.

Michelle Yeoh opted for a purple satin Atelier Versace Fall 2008 gown with ruffled details on the shoulders and an open back.

She kept her jewelery minimal, with a few diamonds on the bracelet and earrings.

All my diva’s are going red.

First Coco Rocha, now Eva Green.

Is red the new black?

I’ve love Eva since she first stepped on the red carpet. She’s such a daredevil when it come to fashion. But on this occasion not so much.

Don’t get me wrong, I love her fuschia pink Christian Dior Fall 2009 Indian inspired gown with intricate embroidered details, but if ever their was someone to wear one of Dior’s Spring 2009 Couture ball gowns on the red carpet, this was our girl.

Elsa Pataky’s Armani Prive Fall 2008 black and white striped strapless gown may look a bit tame from the front, but that’s because all the drama is at the back, as it gathers then falls to a fishtail hem.

There would have been no prizes for guessing that Eva Herzigova would wear Dolce & Gabbana to this event. Much like her supermodel chum Claudia Schiffer.

Her Spring 2009 corseted red dress, had more sass than the runway version.

Hers was strapless and shorter to show off those impossibly long legs.

As much as Lily Cole is wearing a beautiful Emilio Pucci Fall 2009 strapless gown, she fails to excite.

Many of you have remarked that you would love for Georgina Chapman to modify her gowns, to make herself more individual, and stand out from the runway and her clients like Donatella Versace.

Unfortunately she didn’t hear your pleas on this occasion, because she wore a gold lame Marchesa Spring 2009 asymmetrical gown as it was presented on the runway plus the gold Louboutin’s.

Whatever the weather, she always looks outstanding, and here is no exception.

It feels strange calling anything by Chanel casual, but Anna Mouglalis’ blood red Chanel Cruise 2010 satin dress, feels too casual for such an event.

Kudos to her for wearing a piece from this collection, which was only presented last Thursday.

Margherita Missoni represented her family brand in the way she always does, with style and grace.

Her lurex silvery blue Missoni Spring 2009 gown, with a gold waistband, is a modification of the strapless jumpsuit which was presented on the runway.

Her added gold jewelery, and a matching mini clutch were the perfect touches for added glamour.

L’Oreal girl Kerry Washington takes the baton for the final leg of Cannes Film Festival, after Elizabeth Banks, Aishwarya Rai, Eva Longoria, and Evangeline Lilly represented the brand before her.

Kerry is a vision, as always wearing a strapless deco beaded Marchesa gown paired with a gold Bally box clutch.

Hayden Panettiere arrived at this event wearing a gorgeous blush silk chiffon Marchesa dress with similar silver embroidered details to Diane Kruger’s Marchesa gown.

I love the dress, but even in this picture it feels like the falling train is in the way.

Prior to this event you would have seen Hayden sunbathing on a yacht, relaxing with friends and topping up her tan.

Unfortunately it’s left unsightly tan lines.

I’m loving the vacation glow, but a hint of lippy would have worked wonders.

Zoe Saldana opted for a nude dress with a gathered detail on the hip, whilst she paired her look with copper accessories.

Sharon Stone has never looked better, but next time she should consider tanning her legs, before opting for a thigh high split. Her arm appears to be a different shade to her legs.

Despite all that the annual host for this event look magnificent wearing an asymmetrical Dior gown, with silver strappy Dior heels.

Claudia Schiffer stays faithful to her boys Dolce & Gabbana, wearing this tulle black bustier gown.

You’ll be happy to see that she’s keeping the bangs for now.

Zhang Ziyi’s ethereal nude gown is so delicious on her. The colour is exquisite complimenting her skin tone.

Her hair was pulled back off her face to reveal a long earring, and a diamond stud. How very 80s Janet Jackson.

I’m not quite getting the wow factor from Carine Roitfeld, which I got last year, but she still looks fantastic wearing this white Givenchy Couture gown.

I’m wondering has anyone ever seen her with her hair up?

Rinko Kikuchi wears a grey ruffled Chanel Fall 2008 Couture dress with really heavy clunky heels.

Shu Qi wears my least favourite gown of her Cannes experience.

All good runs come to a crashing end.

Case in point Robin Wright Penn in this charcoal spaghetti strapped gown.

[nggallery id=30]

Source & Source

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

2009 Cannes Film Festival - Amend Charity Luncheon

2009 Cannes Film Festival – Amend Charity Luncheon

34 Responses to 2009 Cannes Film Festival – amfAR Cinema Against AIDS Benefit

1. Sue Jin May 22, 2009 at 08:08 #

Wow, so many gorgeous dresses on the red carpet!

Paris could of looked amazing if it weren’t for those….! I’m sick of seeing her with the headband.

Hayden almost looks like Lauren conrad here.

Sharen looks amazing in that dress! Im surprised!

Michelle & Zhang look great!

That Emilio Pucci dress is so gorgeous but Lily, herself, disappoints…

2. boogie May 22, 2009 at 08:48 #

what a great event!!! so many gorgeous dresses!!! cannes are better than the oscars! :P

3. Elaine May 22, 2009 at 09:06 #

What’s wrong with Shu Qi’s dress? I like it =)

• Fashion Critic May 22, 2009 at 09:30 #

Too beachy holiday for me ;)

4. Allyson May 22, 2009 at 09:33 #

Zhang Ziyi looks gorgeous… but did she take off the earring? It doesn’t look like it’s there in that full length shot.

5. koala May 22, 2009 at 09:55 #

wow, ,i usually love hayden. but here she just looks tired and washed out…. seriously, a little more make up wouldnt have been bad…

6. Jude May 22, 2009 at 10:19 #

If it’s a choice between Diane in Chanel and Diane in Marchesa for Best Dressed of the Week can I please say the Marchesa.

Whilst I love the Chanel and Diane and think she has really pulled out her A game at Cannes, the Marchesa was stunning!

We need multiple BDotW this week – a casual, a gowns, young hollywood!

7. Marco May 22, 2009 at 10:19 #

Donatella deserves a place in “The best dressed” pool, even if she’d never wins :-(
    However she rocks!

8. Elisa May 22, 2009 at 10:32 #

I have NO idea how to pick one look for Best Dressed! There are so so so many this week.
    Do you have any favorites at this point, FC?

Elisa

9. r1ma May 22, 2009 at 11:15 #

Iv’e only seen Carine’s hair halfway up, and that was when she was very young:
    Ugh her shoes…
    And Emilio Pucci is a wierd designer for Carine to pick…

All those Chanel Couture gowns are looking the same. I don’t like the fact that Diane chose to wear another one.

I am really dissapointed to see so many muted colors at Cannes. Red and blue don’t do it for me.

10. r1ma May 22, 2009 at 11:22 #

Just in case FC, Carine’s worn out Alaia lace up sandals:

11. Ayesha May 22, 2009 at 11:43 #

WOW….love love love Dita. Such a mesmerizing dress. Love Eva Green as well..that colour works so well with her pale skin. Also FC..my high school prom is coming up? Can I send you a picture of my dress..and if you’re not too busy can you give me some suggestions?

12. Bego May 22, 2009 at 11:59 #

I think it would be fair to include both Diane looks, but if you must choose just one, please take the Marchesa one, she was outstanding in every way!
    I love Zhang Ziyi in this event, simple and so elegant. Also I’m loving Marion Cotillard, that dress fits her perfectly.
    Not so sure about Elsa though…
    And I really like Eva Green’s gown, specially the colour, but honestly, that red hair is not for her, i hope she goes back to black soon.
    The worst thing about Robin Wright Penn is that thing she’s wearing on the head, why did she put that on??? It’s a shame cause i was loving her these days..

13. Anonymous May 22, 2009 at 12:42 #

Was Shu Qi’s dress roberto cavalli? Marion should be more adventurous, she looks good in anything and can get away with anything like Eva Green most of the time.

I think that Rinko’s Chanel couture dress is wearing her rather than vice versa and doesn’t flatter her body shape, it would have been better a bit shorter and less bulkier at the bottom and she should have worn less chuncky/ heavy shoes.

14. robbie May 22, 2009 at 13:52 #

diane, wow this just oozes class and elegance, i love it!

dita, normally on someone else the whole garter belt/underwear showing would be trashy, but dita works it!

marion, wow this is beautiful, the dress is stunning.

paris, trashy!

donatella, i prefer the modified version than the runway version, she looks fantastic!

michelle, WOW she has really been on a roll at cannes so many beautiful dresses she has worn.

eva, im not into this look the hair ruined it!

elsa, its nice i am glad though that she kept her accessories minimal.

eva, i really do hate this the hair is just terrible! the dress though is pretty nice.

lily, i actually like the dress but it doesnt wow me :(.

georgina, oh i dont know what is worse the fact she wore the same shoes as the model, or the fact she enver seems to change her hairstyle. she looks gorgeous though!

anna, i wish she wore it the way to model had hers with the 2 brooches, it is very casual though.

margherita, i only wish she didnt wear the necklace, it is very chunky and slightly distracting. she looks nice though.

carine, boring! which is very sad because is usually looks amazing. hair change maybe or is that hair her “trademark” just like anna wintours annoying “bob”.

rinko, i never thought anyone could make chanel COUTURE look so bad, this is terrible those heels WTF!

kerry, glad to see her on the red carpet she is simply beautiful! gorgeous dress, nice accessories and lovely hair.

hayden, she is at an event and she looks as if she could just lie on the floor and go to sleep, she actually looks that bored. tan lines, surely someone invented a strapless bikini top especially for tanning.

zoe, this is rather boring for her plus i really hate her hair.

sharon, even though it is black this is hot! although the untanned leg lol.

claudia, WOW she did something with her hair. shame about the boring dress and shoes.

zhang, oh god my second worst nightmare 2 different earrings, seriously!!!!! the dress is nice, shame she ruined it with the earrings.

shu, it is very beachy like you said, but it is nice.

robin, wow can she get anymore boring than this seriously? boring.

15. eder May 22, 2009 at 14:28 #

Diane looks really good, as always

I Don´t like Dita´s dress very much, but she has the attitude to wear it

I love Marion´s dress, the colour is amamzing with her skin

Paris Hilton´s dress is beautiful, but i agree with you that she should have taken the necklace, the headband, and the bracelet

Donatella, looks very good, I prefer her dress to the runaway version

Michelle always looks amazing on the red carpet, I love the colour of the dress

Eva´s dress is very beautiful, but that hair …

Elsa looks good

Eva Herzigova, is very beautiful but I Don´t like that dress

Lily looks good, the colour looks amazing with her hair

I Love Georgina´s dress, but it´s the same dress Jennifer Morrison wore to the Emmys no?

Anna looks too casual

Margherita looks good, but I prefer the runaway version to that she is wearing

Is good to see Carine in another colour than black

Rinko always in her own style …

Kerry always consistent, but I expected more

Hayden looks very good, except for the tan lines

Zoe´s dress is beautiful, and I love her accessories

Sharon doesn´t look tacky for once

Claudia, is very beautiful and finally she has changed her hairstyle

Zhang Ziyi looks very good, the dress is beautiful and she looks very good in that colour

Shu Qi´s dress is too beachy

Robin looks horrible, the dress is OK, but the headband is terrible

16. Raquel May 22, 2009 at 15:32 #

Where to start?

Daine – elegant, as always, and I love the shape of her outfit, that structured cut is divine. But the bow, the neckline, the lace… I can’t decide if all that together goes to hard to on the old vibe, or if it is almost child-like in a way.

Dita – sexy and funny. It suits her, but I preffer the shorter runaway version.

Marion – I love the dress, not the color. The white vesion on the model is stunning, that pale green is just boring and washes her out.

Paris – it’s unfair that she can buy all the couture she wants and ruins every single piece with her trash spirit. There, I said it.

Donatella – really, really good. Give credit where credit is given, few women know their bodies that well. She always dresses for herself first, and that is why she is always flawless.

Michelle – Satin = wrinkles. Lovely dress and the color is gorgeous, but the hair and the makeup look too severe for me.

Eva – LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. The dress is stunning, the hair and the makeup are perfect, I love this look.

Elza, Eva H. and Lily – Yawn.

Georgina – I’m not a fan of trains, but she looks god.

Anna – satin – wrinkles. ‘Nuff said. Love that shade of red.

Margherita – I love everything minus the gold chunk necklace.

Carine – like it, I like it very much, but yeah, the hair fallling over her eyes is unnerving.

Rinko – hate the heels and it’s a shame that the red carpet is actually black, because some of the details of the dress would have popped up against a white or red background.

Kerry – Ntohing special, but flawless, as always.

Hayden – hate the train, the clutch is a tad too big, and yes, she needed at least a gloss. Earrings would have helped, too.

Zoe – I NEED to see Zoe and Tandie Newton side to side at the red carpet, my computer screen is gooing to burst in flames. Awesome.

Sharon – Best she has looked in a long time. I think it is the picture, because I’ve seen other photos where her legs and arms are the same color. I don’t like the necklace and I think Sharon is reaching that age where 7-9 pounds would fill her face better than any cosmectic procedure.

Claudia – Ridiculous. Seriously. A 40 years old woman dressing like a 16 years debutante. Hate this.

Zhang Ziyi – Lovely, cute, very appropriate. I’m in love with this look. She is… 25? The 80′s are vinatage for her. ;)

Shu Qui – such a beautiful girl, so in need of a stylist.

Robin – Double yawn, and an extra yawn for chosing a dress that make her shoulders look like an Olympic swimmer, and a hair style that is not flattering on her. This woman BORES me.

17. The Mariah Carey Fashion Style May 22, 2009 at 15:55 #

Sharon looks amazing! This is how I’ve always imagined to see her aging: with class, elegance and… a better tanning, actually.

Will she be a best dressed contestant? we’ll see!

18. zoe aka drinkupthefashion May 22, 2009 at 18:54 #

wow, there were so many well dressed women in this post..i could gush on and on for years. but i won’t, because there seems to be plenty of long comments of this post.

i actually think shu qi looks gorgeous. she looks so so cute. i just want to give her a hug.

robin wright penn looks ok. that headband really isn’t doing anything for her. she has definitely looked better.

claudia schiffer’s face scares me.
    i know…that’s mean. and she’s a well loved model, and i’m not…but…it does scare me.

19. Stefano May 22, 2009 at 21:55 #

I’m impressed by Donatella. She is always looking impeccable, and she seems to get better every time she makes an appearance, if that is even possible. Her figure is amazing too. I think no one could ever wear Versace better than she does.

20. claire May 22, 2009 at 23:00 #

eva is wearing my favorite dress from this dior collection but she ruined it with her hair and her awful make up. it looks like a kid applied her eyeshadow!

also i’m a little bit disappointed with georgina chapman. she is gorgeous, she makes amazing gowns, and she picked a really boring dress for herself…

21. denise May 23, 2009 at 00:23 #

Diane wears a lot of white which gets boring, even though she always manages to look gorgeous. I love Marion’s dress. I wayyy prefer the runway dress over the one Donatella is wearing. Eva’s Dior dress is cute but she made it look bad. And I never understood why you liked Carine, she has horrible hair, always wears dresses with huge slits, and wears too much makeup. Just not cute at all.

22. Parvati May 23, 2009 at 14:19 #

Diane Kruger – I don’t really like this outfit. I’m always more interested in seeing gorgeous floor-length gowns, especially on her, who’s always so well-dressed.

Dita Von Teese – Wow, it seems the Jean Paul Gaultier SS2009 Couture collection really suits her! She looked amazing at the Eurovision press conference and she looks great again here!

Marion Cotillard – I love this gown, but I agree that she could have worn something more dramatic from the Dior Couture collection.

Paris Hilton – Too much going on.

Donatella Versace – Gorgeous!

Michelle Yeoh – Atelier Versace gowns are always gorgeous and Michelle Yeoh always wears stunning dresses on the red carpet, but this one doesn’t impress me at all.

Eva Green – The same with Marion Cotillard.

Elsa Pataky – Another gown that didn’t impress me.

Eva Herzigova – I think it’s just OK. I would have preferred something more dramatic.

Lily Cole – I love this! The gown is beautiful and the colour looks great with her red hair.

Georgina Chapman – I don’t really like this. Again, I would have loved to see a more dramatic gown.

Anna Mouglalis – Yeah, too casual.

Margherita Missoni – Another outfit that didn’t impress me.

Kerry Washington – Beautiful.

Hayden Panettiere – Sorry, but this is bad. The train looks like it doesn’t need to be there and I hate the lack of make-up and jewellery. It looks like she just wore a dress and didn’t care about finishing her look.

Zoe Saldana – Again, I think this is too understated for this event.

Sharon Stone – She finally looks good! The gown is pretty, but I think I’ve seen it again on Diane Kruger, in lilac. I’m not sure if it’s indeed the same gown, has anyone else noticed it?

Claudia Schiffer – I would have preferred to see another colour on her.

Zhang Ziyi – Failing to impress me, again.

Carine Roitfeld – Beautiful gown!

Rinko Kikuchi – What’s this??? The dress looks rather shapeless and these booties completely ruin it!

Shu Qi – Cute.

Robin Wright – I don’t really mind the gown, but I’m not sure I like this headband on her, although it’s something different on her.

Maybe I expected too much, but the outfits at this year’s amfAR gala didn’t impress me, in general. I think last year’s gala was much more impressive, because it was full of beautful, big gowns, which I always love to see on the red carpet.

• Fashion Critic May 23, 2009 at 14:27 #

You’re thinking about Diane in Valentino

It’s similar in style. The one-shoulder on Diane’s goes from left to right, and Sharon’s goes from right to left. Sharon is definitely in Dior. :)

• Parvati May 23, 2009 at 19:57 #

Yeah, I just found the photos of Diane and realised they’re not even from the same designer. But Diane’s Valentino dress was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw photos of Sharon!

• Fashion Critic May 23, 2009 at 20:17 #

I thought the same too, which is why I knew exactly what you were referring to :)

23. tanya May 24, 2009 at 06:11 #

thanks so much for this post. it had me drooling onto my keyboard ;)

ps. the new site is looking AMAZING! love all the new features and thanks for all the hard work you put into the blog. love it!

• Fashion Critic May 24, 2009 at 09:28 #

Bingo :)

Thanks I will update

24. love-fashion May 24, 2009 at 09:12 #

Diane: boring
    Dita: gorgeous
    Marion: hate the hair,love the dress
    Paris: wtf is she wearin????? I much prefer this on the model
    Donatella: much prefer on the model but still like the dress on Donatella
    Michelle: I HATE!
    Eva: hum…too…much? the hair is horrific
    Elsa: black and white??? I’m not conquer
    Eva Herzigova: love it! it rocks!
    Lily: love the dress but Lily seems uncomfortable
    Georgina: boring but stiill gorgeous
    Anna: hate it
    Margherita: too much
    Kerry: im very desappointed
    Hayden: she annoys me a lot
    Zoe: love it
    Sharon: i wish i will be that tall,the legs…STUNNING and simple
    Claudia: too skinny,hate the dress
    Zhang: so cute
    Carine: she doesn’t need the necklace,still love the outfit!
    I WANT HER HEELS SO BAD!
    Rinko: hate it
    Shu: cute but the outfit is a big disappointment
    Robin: simple…too simple

25. ernie not your cat May 25, 2009 at 19:19 #

eva green fanatic here. i love the column look. hair = height, elongation. works with this empire line which she supresses with hands holding hips. it’s all very intense, bottled-up and exploding at the same time. dress is gorgeous.

26. whitestroke May 26, 2009 at 21:55 #

Thumbs up for Diane, Dita and Elsa. <3

Lily Cole fails on the red carpet way too often.

Hayden Panettiere – Natural makeup is awesome, but not with a nude outfit. SOMETHING needs to pop up.

Claudia Schiffer is adorable, but enough with those same-y Dolce & Gabbana dresses.

Zhang Ziyi rocks that look. LOL

First Coco Rocha, now Eva Green. Is red the new black?
    I dyed my naturally black hair red last month, too. I didn’t even know I was on trend. LOL I just like going red every few years. I have freckles and I’m like tripping that it suits me and makes me look like a natural redhead. Heh.

27. Tropical Breeze June 1, 2009 at 04:59 #

The other day I saw FTV. There’s a part where Zoe Saldana gave a quick interview at amFAR arrival. Before she walked away, she replied to reporter that her dress was “MARGIELA” twice. : ) I know it’s a bit late but … just for your information.

• Fashion Critic June 1, 2009 at 06:19 #