20.05.09

2009 Cannes Film Festival – “Inglourious Basterds” Premiere

I secretly knew she wouldn’t let me down.

Tthats 3 years in a row she’s wowed at Cannes.

Angelina Jolie walked the red carpet in not only colour, but this season colour – nude.

Her chiffon one-sleeved Versace Fall 2008 gown is so beautiful, delicate and feminine yet she’s still exudes her usual sex appeal.

Those famous full lips are red divine, and her look is complete with champagne heels.

This is definitely one of her best looks to date.

Diane Kruger was equally radiant, if not more so than Angelina.

The stunning actress walked the red carpet in a custom made ivory silk chiffon Marchesa gown with flutter sleeves.

I love the cowl back dress with silver floral embroidered detail.

The side swept bun, and simple diamonds quietly scream elegance.

Best Dressed of The Week just became even harder.

Elsa Pataky swept the red carpet with her black Elie Saab Spring 2009 Couture strapless gown.

Elsa likes to be a sex kitten on the red carpet, but with a few diamonds here and there and her hair pulled back she looks very demure.

I would’ve loved to have seen her in another colour gown, as she wore black to the Chopard “Cascade” perfume launch.

Asia Argento plays the femme fatale wearing a bold Armani Prive Spring 2009 strapless gown with a blood red fringed skirt.

She paired her devilish look with matching shoes, and bright red lipstick for an eye-catching pout.

I’m surprised to say that I kinda like Sharon Stone in this Balmain Fall 2009 gown.

It shows off her body – which looks amazing – and she’s not wearing some tacky animal print which she’s usually so fond of.

For once Sharon, I don’t hate.

I’m happy to see Dita von Teese wearing something from the Christian Dior Spring 2009 Couture collection, but I’m disappointed she didn’t pick one of the more colourful risky pieces.

I hope those gowns aren’t destined to only be editorial gowns.

Dita wore her one-shouldered dress with a red clutch to match her perfect pout.

Cute, but safe for Dita.

Emma de Caunes also opted for a black Elie Saab dress, but her embellished cocktail dress was from the Fall 2009 collection.

Judge Shu Qi looked angelic wearing a white Roberto Cavalli Spring 2009 gown, which had a gold chain detail embellishing the trim of the bodice.

German actress Jana Pallaske wore an eventful Paule Ka Spring 2009 strapless dress on the red carpet with bandage straps, black contrasting bodice, and feathered hem.

There’s a lot going on, but it’s fun and fruity.

French actress Frédérique Bel also opted for a Paule Ka Spring 2009 creation.

Hers was less cutesy, and more risqué with the cut-out panel showing off her toned abs.

Natasha Poly’s Roberto Cavalli Spring 2009 strapless black and grey gown has plenty of frou frou in the skirt with the ruffles and tulle layers.

In this supermodel face-off Natasha’s soft make-up and sultry smile wins me over.

Robin Wright Penn opts for her second Narciso Rodriguez gown of Cannes Film Festival.

This time it’s refreshing white crepe gown, with sleek lines to give her a beautiful silhouette.

Michelle Yeoh opted for a beige strapless Roberto Cavalli gown with stunning gold accessories to compliment the gold embroidered details on her bodice.

I’ve never been a fan of Joss Stone’s style.

She over did the hippy maxi look, but here she opts for a yellow haltered dress which does nothing for her.

Her yellow dress was paired with green heels, with a pink tip. !?!?!?

[nggallery id=34]

Source & Source & Source & Source

Menswear Midweek Red Carpet Roundup

Menswear Midweek Red Carpet Roundup

Who Wore Alexis Mabille Better? Keira Knightley or Dita von Teese

Who Wore Alexis Mabille Better? Keira Knightley or Dita von Teese

56 Responses to 2009 Cannes Film Festival – “Inglourious Basterds” Premiere

1. Vera May 20, 2009 at 18:15 #

I love Joss Stone’s songs, but dressing up is just not her cup of tea.

Jana’s dress is kinda interesting.

2. Anonymous May 20, 2009 at 18:37 #

wheres angelina?!

3. Erika May 20, 2009 at 18:38 #

Fashion Critic, please tell me I’m not the only one who misses Cate Blanchett..terribly! She was so lovely last year at Cannes.. (sigh).

4. r1ma May 20, 2009 at 18:40 #

I called it! Angelina wore a neutral colored Versace!

I had a feeling her mood would match the dress and would not be something bold.

• Fashion Critic May 20, 2009 at 18:56 #

R1ma, you did call it. Well done you

5. Anonymous May 20, 2009 at 18:47 #

Wow Angelina looks like a goddess! and Diane looks beautiful as well. Definitely the best and most awaited premiere of cannnes.

6. robbie May 20, 2009 at 18:50 #

elsa, it is nice but come on it is summer for crying out loud enough black! bring on the nice summery colours.

sharon, she is beautiful but someone needs to tell her to dress her age, this dress is trashy enough but putting a woman in her 50s this is trashy!

dita, i love her but this is boring. yet another black dress.

jana, WOW a dress that isnt mostly black, this is a nice dress but on her im not sure, thank god though she didnt pick pumps though.

robin, boring!

joss, hmmm WTF is she doing at cannes?

7. pandar May 20, 2009 at 18:53 #

Jana: risky, but stylish as always.

Sharon: Surprise, surprise….this woman got a little feeling for style.

Dita: nice, but I saw this look hundred times before.

Elsa: too much fabric and too gothic

8. Alicia May 20, 2009 at 19:00 #

Angelina looks great, but I GUARANTEE you the way that dress drapes around her midsection is going to get tabloids screaming about future celestial babies again. Not that they need any concrete reason to run those stories.

9. Anonymous May 20, 2009 at 19:00 #

Is it me or Jolie looks fat?!

10. ber May 20, 2009 at 19:00 #

Too much black for my liking, but all 3 dresses are beautiful.

11. Anonymous May 20, 2009 at 19:04 #

I DEFINITELY agree that Angelina looks pregnant in these pics!!

12. robbie May 20, 2009 at 19:04 #

angelina wow this makes a change from black and grey, she looks fantastic!

13. Atelier May 20, 2009 at 19:05 #

Im in love with Angelina`s presence, attitude, regalness, exhuberance, power, sexyness, poise and glamour…
    OMG…when she wants it she really nails it..that dress fits her wonderfully, her make up looks absolutely magnificent,,She doesnt need to try hard to look this GORGEOUS,,why cant she look like this every time she attends a red carpet event???
    I Adore her here,,,but FC she wasnt wearing louboutins, she was actually wearing the ugliest shoes i`ve ever seen..soo boring and so blah! look at them

14. r1ma May 20, 2009 at 19:11 #

Lol I was being a bit obnoxious with all the excitement.

Hehe thanks.I learned from the best FC! ;-)

This is such a great premiere!

I think Diane Kruger upstaged Angelina ‘though, fashion wise.

And Alicia is right…what is with that draping around her mid-section?

15. Leti May 20, 2009 at 19:14 #

Wow, I guess I’m in the minority, but I think this look is far from Angelina’s best. I don’t like the blond in her hair–it looks streaky. I don’t like the matte dark red lips. And I’m not thrilled with the dress. I mean, sure the dress is an improvement over the drab sack dresses she’s been wearing lately, but that’s not saying much.

16. Nicole May 20, 2009 at 19:20 #

Angelina looks good love the gown.. no doubt the rumour mills will start up but she looks great anyway…

I want to see diane! Its her premiere!!!

Im a little sick of Dita in her little dresses. her style is kinda getting old for me i want her to switch it up..

Sharon looks good actually.. she is like a yo yo.. one day she looks horrible and then she pulls looks like this out..

17. Danielle May 20, 2009 at 19:22 #

Yeah she didn’t wear black, but I’m not blown away…

Good God, this best dressed of the week is going to be tough!!! I have been making a list who I would feature, but it’s really difficult!
    (I hope you don’t include Sharon’s Balmain)

18. Fashionista Chick May 20, 2009 at 19:25 #

Scored Angie…!!! Colour on her..
    I am still waiting for Diane Kruger …FC is she there at the event..You are as fast as a Rocket I must Say..!!!!

19. ber May 20, 2009 at 19:26 #

I was just about the send you a pic of Diane Kreuger. She looks lovely in that dress and the hair is perfect.

20. T May 20, 2009 at 19:26 #

That Versace dress is my favourite from the collection, but I hate the colour of Angelina’s on her. I don’t think Angelina looks pregnant, I think the dress maybe makes her stomach looka little bigger and she has had a few kids. I’d say she is just carrying a bit of weight around there. Dita is such a disappointment, that dress is probably the most boring from a boring collection.

21. zoe aka drinkupthefashion May 20, 2009 at 19:30 #

what the?! why is joss stone even there? she’s posing like she knows she shouldn’t be there.

angelina does look great….but diane kruger just takes my breath away <3 and then it only gets better with elsa and dita. even though they are wearing black they look amazing, and their ensembles are not boring. FC, i have no idea how you’re going to pick the people for best dressed this week. i still can’t get michelle yeoh out of my mind. i love that dress so much.

22. pandar May 20, 2009 at 19:30 #

tadaa….Miss Boring is in the house…Angelina looks okay! It isn’t great, but a step in the right direction. GO ON, ANGIE!

Diane is stunning as always.

23. Vera May 20, 2009 at 19:33 #

WOW! Sharon Stone??

24. Fashionista Chick May 20, 2009 at 19:33 #

Diane looks Radiant..Yep Yep I agree with you the best dressed looks like a killer this time ^^…!!!! but that is for the best..I simply love Cannes..what amazing couture it gives to the world & especially to fashion obsessed like all of us here .. :-)

25. Kiran_Sooknandan May 20, 2009 at 19:54 #

I am neither wowed nor blown away by Angelina’s look. Sure she is wearing a nice enough dress and the colour is on trend but I think that she has us so perpetually underwhelmed and starved for her to wear something non black and fabulous that all she has to do is look average and everyone melts and proclaims how amazing she looks. If someone else wore this dress I don’t think they would have garnered the same applause.

26. leleana May 20, 2009 at 20:01 #

Personally, Angie shouldn’t be following the trend. I’m dissapointed she’s wearing a nude colored dress. Sure, she looks great, but honestly, I feel like the trend has been worn out already. Kind of expected more.

Diane looks gorgeous though. And wow, so much black from everyone else!

27. Gaber May 20, 2009 at 20:07 #

That’s a REALLY bad picture of Angy that was chosen to open the post. She looks washed out and the make-up looks massively overdone.
    But after looking at the pictures at the end of the post – I need to give my love to the look. Very nice!

28. Anonymous May 20, 2009 at 20:07 #

I completely agree with Kiran and for me the best dressed is Diane with no doubt!!!

29. Kylie May 20, 2009 at 20:23 #

FC, Angelina’s dress actually has a thigh-high split! The angle of this picture completely obscures that.

Stunning!!!

30. Kelly May 20, 2009 at 20:50 #

While I like Angelina’s dress, I don’t think she pulls it off. The red lip really ages her… I didn’t even recognize her at first, except for Brad Pitt on her arm.

I think Diane Kruger looks the best (as always). She just exudes class with that perfect dash of quirkiness.

31. The Mariah Carey Fashion Style May 20, 2009 at 20:53 #

OMG! What an upgrade for Sharon Stone. I’m impressed. She finally got it together! Her hair and make up look great, at least from far! She looks 15 years younger!

32. Ally May 20, 2009 at 20:54 #

I actually think Angelina’s dress is kind of lame… Of course she is beautiful but the dress just isn’t interesting or flattering.

Diane on the other hand looks absolutely stunning. Any pictures of her with my beloved Josh?

33. Leti May 20, 2009 at 20:59 #

Diane looks flawless. So does Shu Qi. It looks like she’s wearing the same dress that Mariah Carey wore earlier this week. I couldn’t have imagined this dress could look so classy. BTW, FC, you’re blowing me away with your coverage of Cannes. Thanks so much for the nearly constant updates!

34. MatteaAM May 20, 2009 at 22:10 #

I just love Angie’s dress…and I like the fact that she isn’t trying to upstage Diane…
    What I don’t like is her hair colour…it just doesn’t suit her…she looks soooo much better with darker hair…
    xD

35. Bego May 20, 2009 at 22:14 #

I agree with Leti, thank you so much FC!
    Angelina looks beautiful in that gown, i love the shape!and with Brad by her side any picture looks great :P. About Diane, what can I see? Perfection, that Marchesa gown is lovely and so is the hair.
    But, too much black on this event!

36. Lexa May 20, 2009 at 22:38 #

Love Diane’s look!

I also liked how Asia Argento and Zhang Ziyi looked at this premiere :)

37. Me111 May 20, 2009 at 22:48 #

Fédérique Bel wore the same dress than ana Pallaske just a few days ago in Cannes

38. BirkinEnvy May 20, 2009 at 23:44 #

I love the dress Angelina’s wearing, however I don’t love it on her. The color washes her out, especially with the dramatic lip, and it isn’t very flattering.

Diane Kruger looks amazing. Definitely a contender for Best Dressed of the Week.

Joss Stone’s dress looks as though it was a “Fabulous Find” at Forever 21.

39. Nicole May 20, 2009 at 23:48 #

WOW Diane looks amazing!! Def the best dressed..
    These ladies are working the Marchesa gowns..
    Everyone excpet Joss (hot mess) had a good night.

40. Jamie May 20, 2009 at 23:57 #

Am I the only one who thinks Diane Kruger looks pregnant? There’s no way she has a sway back so severe that, in that side shot, that little extra something is her hip. Thoughts?

I know – rumor mongerer. Guilty as charged.

41. Fashion Critic May 21, 2009 at 00:03 #

So many people have been speculating on pregnancies today, so you are not alone. First it was Penelope Cruz, then Jolie, now Kruger.

Out of the 3 I would say Cruz is more likely.

Jolie is currently filming so it would be very bad timing on her part.

Kruger? not sure.

42. Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 00:57 #

i dont so much love angelina in the main picture you have of her and brad, but when ive seen other pictures, especially close up ones, she looks absoloutely gorgeous.
    and diane is stunning, always is and hopefully always will keep choosing winners.
    if only cannes was every month of the year.
    thanks fc!

43. Sue Jin May 21, 2009 at 01:39 #

Diane looks amazing!

And surprisingly Sharon does too

44. Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 04:54 #

I don’t like Angelina’s look at all! Though her dress is okay, her hair is really really bad! Diane and Sharon look nice!

45. Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 09:24 #

Am I the only one who thinks Angelina’s choice was rather…safe? I mean sure, she stepped away from black, but she’s still in the neutral zone. I am not sure if she chose this colour because it was the trend. I mean if the trend is bold, bright colours this year, I am sure she won’t choose those colours (referring to this year only). It does make her look pregnant. She didn’t wow me at all.

However Diane Kruger was totally gorgeous <3 I love how she loves choosing a variety of attires and it all suits her so well!

46. Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 09:28 #

Shu Qi’s dress is to die for!!! Love it love it! I would love to see the back of it!

I love Asia’s dress but someone I thought it ambiance didn’t translate through her. Maybe because she’s more full on the chest area, the details kind of lost its charm, or had it not been that snug in that area, maybe it would have looked better? Because the runway dress gave me a jumpy little devil feeling, LMAO weird description I know.

47. Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 10:46 #

FC Do you have a full picture Zhang Ziyi at this event and were you able to ID her dress?

Yh I agree Angelina can’t be pregnant espeicially since she is filming an action/ spy type film- too risky and they have a huge clan already, its too soon.

Thanks

48. IRIS. May 21, 2009 at 11:45 #

if only Angie had done something else with that hair!! I do NOT like the colour of it, and it just hangs there… Aside from that the dress is so lovely on her…
    Diane ALWAYS looks amazing, this women doesn’t have an off day. best dressed imo
    x

49. Meg May 21, 2009 at 12:29 #

That color does nothing for Angelina, washes her out. I think only Natasha stands out, I like that Cavalli.

50. Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 16:27 #

Are you folks blind? Angelina looks terrible. There is something wrong with her. Her hair looks brittle, her skin looks bad, her legs and arms look horrible with the veins protuding, her lips look awful in that red lipstick, the dress makes her look pregnant and the color washes her out.

There is nothing good about this look and I usually think she is beautiful.

51. Danielle May 21, 2009 at 18:15 #

Ziyi Zhang gown is Armani Prive Fall 2005! I noticed you don’t have a picture of her up yet, but I thought I’d let you know. It’s such a spectacular gown, it would be a shame not to post it :(

52. Ahot May 22, 2009 at 08:30 #

It´s funny, everybody compares Angie and Diane. Angelina wasn´t going to upstage Diane first because she doesn´t care,
    2. it´s Dianes movie
    3. the fact that she is coming, all the ladies will be on the top of their game.
    Since she always keeps it simple she will still be the One everybody is talking about.

53. Robert May 22, 2009 at 16:06 #

test

54. Mario May 23, 2009 at 10:22 #

I love your site! I’ve been following the Cannes updates religiously. :)

Loved Natasha Poly, but just wanted your opinion. Isnt this the same dress (roberto cavalli gown with ruffles in front) that a Korean actress wore? Didnt look half as good on her, as it did on Poly. The ruffles were not as puffed as in Poly’s dress.

I love Michelle Yeoh. Jolie has beauty, but the true winners are the gals with not as much obvious beauty but who get the men swooning anyway ;)

55. whitestroke May 26, 2009 at 21:34 #

I think Angelina was drop-dead gorgeous here. Nude is great, but she’d look even BETTER in the runway color. Especially with that shade of lipstick. Maybe we wouldn’t be able to take it. ;)

Diane Kruger – So beautiful as always.

That dress is SO not for Sharon Stone, but, surprisingly, she makes it work.

I like Dita in that dress. Maybe she’ll go for something more dramatic from that collection some other time. I really wanna see those dresses on the red carpet.

Robin is again here absolutely gorgeous. Love the hair.