18.05.09

2009 Cannes Film Festival – “Looking for Eric” Premiere

The good thing is god actually answers my prayers.

I asked for Valentino at Cannes, and in the space of 48 hours we have seen 4 stunning gowns take to the red carpet.

The bad thing is with Rachel Weisz wearing a very similar dress last night, this blue ombre high neck Valentino Fall 2009 gown which Evangeline Lilly is wearing gives me a huge case of de ja vu.

This was one of my favourite Valentino collections since the master himself left, I wish she’d picked something else.

All that said, it is a beautiful gown.

NO, No, no, no.

That make-up doesn’t work with that stunning Atelier Versace Spring 2009 gown, which is a shame because Eva Herzigova looks amazing from the neck down.

Eva wears the same gown which Donatella Versace wore just 8 days ago, with Chopard chandelier gold earrings.

Despite loving this Festival, their are so many re-runs.

Rachida Brakni aka Mrs Cantona, arrived with her husband, Eric Cantona wearing a pale pink Sonia Rykiel Spring 2009 dress.

The floor-length halter dress was adorned with feathers on the skirt and appears to be less transparent than it was on the runway.

I loved this dress on the runway, and I’m glad it translated well onto the red carpet.

She looks magnificent.

Grace, beauty, class and elegance = Hilary Swank.

The rise and fall hems were prevalent in Christian Dior and Nina Ricci’s collections, and I go back and forth as to whether I like the style but I can’t fault anything on Hilary.

The gunmetal grey is a great colour for her, the sweeping updo is so classic, the multi-colour pearl Chopard necklace is just enough jewelery, and her matching Swarovski clutch and Sergio Rossi sandals complete the look.

For me she’s breath-taking.

Model Doutzen Kroes gives us yet ANOTHER re-run.

She is wearing a full-skirted printed Azzedine Alaia grey dress, which Zoe Saldana wore to the London Star Trek premiere last month.

Her dress was paired with black Azzedine Alaia leather lace-up shoe-boots, but I don’t think this is a good look for Doutzen at all.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source

Zooey Deschanel's Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Zooey Deschanel’s Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Who Wore YSL Better? Becki Newton or Maribel Verdu

Who Wore YSL Better? Becki Newton or Maribel Verdu

23 Responses to 2009 Cannes Film Festival – “Looking for Eric” Premiere

1. Rogue May 18, 2009 at 19:18 #

Yes, yes, her eyes are too dark , and she’s wearing Donatella’s dress, yet still: I’m glad Eva’s there, I missed her. She is always so relentlessly glamorous!! And those pink heels are hot!

2. Anonymous May 18, 2009 at 19:43 #

I would disagree with you FC that this is one of the best collections after Valentino left, as i think Alessandra Facchinetti did a much better job- her designs were more modern and fresh and remember that amazing red dress that Olga wore to the Quantum of Solace premiere. This collection feels dated and too classic, Valentino needs to move forward and attract a wider range of audience.

3. Ling May 18, 2009 at 19:52 #

I think Evangaline looks much better in this Valentino dress than the one she wore at the Vengeance premiere; I don’t think it’s too similar to Rachel Weisz’s gown to be a rerun though! When Zoe Saldana wore that Azzedine Alaia dress, I didn’t agree with her shoe choice; it’s funny that Doutzen Kroes has chosen quite similar shoes.

4. David May 18, 2009 at 19:55 #

I’ll bet Hilary Swank is next!!

5. Fashion Critic May 18, 2009 at 19:56 #

It’s definitely not a re-run, but I just feel like I have seen it before with Rachel’s dress :)

6. Fashion Critic May 18, 2009 at 19:58 #

Anon 19:43, I think that classic look that you mentioned, is what I missed with Alessandra’s collection.

I guess I’m more old fashioned than I thought :)

7. robbie May 18, 2009 at 20:24 #

evangeline, its okay but it hasnt wowed me, valentino has not been the same since he left, my favourite collection will always be the fall 2007 couture collection!

eva, hmmm i loved the dress on donatella but im not a fan of it on eva, the shoes are confusing me pink shoes makes a change from predictable black, white or nude shoes i suppose.

rachida, that hair just ruins it, someone need to pass her a brush and a mirror. dress is nice.

hilary, classic chic but with an edgy twist i love it! she looks like michelle obama facially.

doutzen, this is NOT a cannes style dress, seriously WTF.

8. Ally May 18, 2009 at 20:37 #

I think that Evangelia looks stunning as always. It is a beautiful color on her and she is definitely doing well to promote Loreal with her fresh faced look.

I just don’t know if I will ever be happy with the people that wear the Versace’s. Hated it on Jessica Biel, was just okay on Claudia, hated it on Eva and now hate it on Eva part 2. These dresses are so stunning and people are ruining them. Too bad b/c this one is my favorite from the collection. The one one I have seen do the dress justice is Donatella herself.

9. Ally May 18, 2009 at 20:38 #

Oh and what the heck was she thinking pairing hot pink shoes with the beauty of the nude???

10. Gasp May 18, 2009 at 20:40 #

I love very much all of these Valentino dresses: they’re so classically glamourous, sophisticated, timeless. And I’m surprised to see how good Evangeline Lily looks in it!
    I’m also glad to see an unexpected designer on the Red Carpet, just like Sonia Rykiel, whose dress are so funny and young (and even crazy simetimes) to feel like a wind of freshness and news! Anyway this pink dress was already worn by Lily Allen (in a modified version) for a dinner at Nobu, but, no doubt, I prefer the runway look by Mrs Cantona!

11. eder May 18, 2009 at 22:47 #

Eva is wearing too much make-up, and it´s a shame beacuse she looks good in that dress

Hilary is amazing!! She looks reaaly good, the dress, the hair, everything is perfect

Doutzen looks very bad, the dress isn´t very flattering on her :S

12. Parvati May 18, 2009 at 23:16 #

When I first saw a photo of Doutzen Kroes from this premiere, I immediately thought of Zoe Saldana! She’s even wearing similar booties! Not right for Cannes.

13. Nicolina May 18, 2009 at 23:30 #

FC, can you get a picture of Evangeline’s shoes? I don’t know the designer, but I saw a picture of her from the side, with the long ponytail and the shoes and I LOVED the whole look.

14. DitaLover May 18, 2009 at 23:42 #

Oh My God!
    Diane Kruger looks amazing, I’ve been dying for her to make an appearance and as always she didnt let me down.

15. Anonymous May 19, 2009 at 00:36 #

Wow Hilary Swank- three words- drop dead gorgeous! What is she wearing FC?

16. Inside Mode May 19, 2009 at 00:56 #

I couldn’t agree more about Eva’s make-up. She’s absolutely gorgeous, but you know your doing something wrong when your wearing an embellished Couture dress and the first place you can look is at that person’s eyelids.

To me, the new Valentino gowns aren’t as show stopping as when Alessandra or Valentino himself were at the house, but they all just scream red carpet. I just love how Evangeline just keeps it fresh and let’s it do all the talking, but a little something would’ve helped.

Thank you for your very kind comment. I know that you will get there. I once had Photoshop and delted it because it wasjust the biggest headache. But know, I don’t know where I would be without it. So there’s hope for us all. :)

17. katie May 19, 2009 at 00:58 #

Hilary’s dress reminds me of the black Marchesa dress she wore before to a different event last year. But this one is much beteer and the sandals are divine- love.

18. Ricca May 19, 2009 at 05:52 #

I don’t know about Hilary Swank – there’s just something about her that doesn’t make her deserve all that praise about chicness or elegance. In the zoomed out photo she doesn’t look exactly perfect.

19. Gaber May 19, 2009 at 10:25 #

I MIGHT just not be as gay as I thought I was!
    Because I am seriously unable to look past that smoking piece of manly meat that is Eric Cantona and focus on what his wife is wearing!
    Seriously, rawr!
    RAWR!

Today fashion takes a back seat to cock!
    :P

20. anna May 19, 2009 at 14:47 #

hilary’s swank gown is truly stunning, which designer is she wearing?

21. Fashion Critic May 19, 2009 at 14:48 #

As soon as I find out, I will update this post.

22. whitestroke May 26, 2009 at 20:52 #

THAT was my fav dress from that Valentino collection, and Evangeline did it no justice at all. She makes it look so ordinary and bleh. I was hoping someone way more interesting would wear it.

23. Camilla November 28, 2009 at 09:38 #

Looking at this now Evangeline does look stunning. You should do a ”Best Dressed now I think about it…’ poll!