13.05.09

2009 Cannes Film Festival – “UP” Premiere

Tonight was definitely a night for couture gowns, and this is why I love Cannes Film Festival.

Elizabeth Banks looks outstanding wearing a one-shouldered Armani Privé Spring 2009 red gown.

She gives this gown an old Hollywood feel with the marcel waves, and the long flowing train.

Normally mounds of material attached to a gown icks me, this time I like it, and Elizabeth shows of the gown so perfectly.

Best Dressed of the Week is going to be tough.

I know many of you will hate the maroon Haider Ackermann Fall 2009 ensemble Tilda Swinton is wearing, but I love it, especially the colour and that gorgeous silhouette it gives her.

She’s like a gazelle, so interesting to look at, and so elegantly statuesque.

Tilda usually works with designers directly, so it wouldn’t be a surprised if they worked together on this modified look.

Isabelle Huppert may have been the most casual at the photocall earlier in the day, but tonight she looked very glamourous wearing a nude Armani Privé Spring 2009 gown, with an embroidered overlay, which was embellished with jewels.

She kept her neck bare, but she did accessorize with silver bracelets.

Robin Penn Wright continues her red carpet run without a hint of black.

This platinum silver metallic Elie Saab Fall 2007 Couture off-the-shoulder draped gown is divine.

I see her getting better and better.

Asia Argento wore a Armani Privé Spring 2009 Asian print strapless bell-shaped gown.

For me Asia struggles to pull this look off. I don’t like her hair with this gown, and the runway shoes look much better on the runway.

Model Eugenia Silva looks gorgeous in her black and grey checked Armani Privé Spring 2008 gown, with a rise and fall hem.

I’m not particularly crazy about this gown, because Milla Jovovich wore a modified version of this gown to the same festival last year, so I feel like I have seen it before.

From the top of her updo, to the hem of her Alberta Ferretti gown, Alessia Piovan is total perfection.

She has such elegance, the petrol blue is striking, and those earrings are divine.

Aishwarya Rai, like Elizabeth Banks, wore a gown with stunning train.

The Indian actress glowed in her white strapless Roberto Cavalli gown with a ruffled tiered skirt.

I’m not crazy about her hair style, but I do like her red bejewled Swarovski box clutch, and those pearl drop earrings.

I had high hopes for Shu Qi, but this teal strapless Roberto Cavalli gown is a tad boring compared to the others.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source
Leighton Meester for Cosmopolitan June 2009

Leighton Meester for Cosmopolitan June 2009

Who Wore Bottega Veneta Better? Rosario Dawson or Shu Qi

Who Wore Bottega Veneta Better? Rosario Dawson or Shu Qi

29 Responses to 2009 Cannes Film Festival – “UP” Premiere

1. alisha May 13, 2009 at 21:11 #

by whom is aish her dress?

2. robbie May 13, 2009 at 21:23 #

DAMN CANNES HAS OFFICIALLY ARRIVED!

elizabeth, I LOVE IT! the colour, the simple accessories its all damn perfect.

isabelle, i loved this dress and i love it even more on her. im glad she kept it simple and didnt do too blingy PERFECT!

robin, hmm something is wrong for me, on the runway it is stunning but on robin im not liking it one bit.

asia, wow i wasnt expecting this to ever be worn on the red carpet, but she looks great, my only dislike is that she wore the runway shoes, not very imaginative.

eugenia, F*CKING LOVE THIS! but if i was wearing it i would have kept the volume as it shows more of the gorgeous details. that necklace is just gorgeous.

aishwarya, hmmm im not sure i actually like this, its just very plain. but she does look absolutely stunning as usual.

shu, this dress is a little plain for the cannes film festival. she looks nice though.

tilda, wow she always knows how to make herself look alot taller. i love it all. i know people will hate it but shockingly i think she is best dress at this premiere. i also love the hair, it is a nice change from her red hair. <3

3. Jill May 13, 2009 at 21:30 #

I adore Tilda…she’s always so interesting.

4. Raquel May 13, 2009 at 21:33 #

E. Banks: gorgeous. She looks better than the model, because differently than her, Elizabeth has some chest to fill in the upper part of the dress.

Hupert: I LOVE the dress, but it’s engolfing her. It’s too much for her petite frame and it would have worked better on someone taller, like Tilda.

Asia: love the dress, but she lacks the fierceness necessary to pull it off. Cate Blanchette would have rocked this. Awesome dress, I would love to own it.

Robin: Still boring. She is like the older version of Jessica Biel, bland, bland, and bland.

Tilda: Rooooar! I love her, I love that she doesn’t give a damn about column dresses, one shouldered gowns, fishtails, heart-shaped necklaces, the de la Rentas, Herreras, and Marchesas of the world. Go Tilda, GO!

5. Ling May 13, 2009 at 21:38 #

LOVE Aishwarya Rai and Elizabeth Banks, they outshine Shu Qi by a long way! Hopefully Shu Qi will improve as the festival goes on.

6. Ariel May 13, 2009 at 21:39 #

Elizabeth and Aishwarya look gorgeous.

So FAB !

Im lusting over Aishwarya’s clutch.

You should see the back of Aishwarya’s hair with a dazzling hair piece/clip.

Will Aishwarya and Elizabeth be nominated in the best dressed category?

B/c they both def. are the best out of the remaining ladies here.

7. CaLiGirL May 13, 2009 at 21:47 #

Elizabeth Banks is gorgeous in this dress. Love, Love, everything is just perfect!!!

I’m not usually a fan of Tilda Swinton’s fashion, but I actually like her look here.

8. ber May 13, 2009 at 21:50 #

This is the best Elizabeth Banks has looked! Definitely a Best Dressed contender.

9. Bego May 13, 2009 at 21:53 #

Elisabeth Banks looks wonderful in that dress, as you said, she gives an old Hollywood feel, and I love it. Robin Wright Penn is gorgeous in that Elie Saab, but I think Eudenia Silva can do much better… do you know if she’ll attend some other event?

Great pictures as always!

10. Anonymous May 13, 2009 at 21:55 #

I have a feeling that Tilda is wearing Haider Ackermann. I hope FC will prove me right ( or wrong :) )

From Russia With Love

11. Fashion Critic May 13, 2009 at 22:15 #

Russia with Love, thanks so much.

I was going to spend the whole day tomorrow looking for this, I love Tilda and just had to know, you save me so much time and effort.

Thanks also for bringing a new designer to my attention. Much appreciated.

Thanks so much. You rock. :)

x

12. Fashion Critic May 13, 2009 at 22:16 #

Ber, I totally agree. She’s never looked better…..EVER :)

13. Fashionista Chick May 13, 2009 at 22:19 #

I just love Cannes..You get to see outstanding dresses..I am already happy ..It has just started…11 days..Still to go !!!!!

Elizabeth gorgeous
    Aish nice minus Hairstyle but the clutch is to die for
    Tilda is anytime great to watch,She always interesting.

14. From Russia With Love May 13, 2009 at 22:26 #

My pleasure!) You do a really great job!

15. zhaib18 May 13, 2009 at 22:31 #

Ohhhh. so excited its started.

Apparently Diane Kruger is expected to arrive (for her film Inglorious Basterds) and also Brangelina!
    Bring out the gorgeous frocks for Kruger and the black, lifeless dress for Jolie.

16. olivia May 14, 2009 at 00:54 #

I literally went WOW when I saw Elizabeth Banks, and I don’t do that so often! She looks gorgeous! And not that there’s anything wrong with it since I love Armani Prive, but why are half of these people wearing that designer? Is he sponsoring or something?

17. londonboy May 14, 2009 at 01:33 #

I love Tilda Swinton’s dress!

the silhouette is very interesting…

to me it’s an interesting take for red carpet dress!

18. zoe aka drinkupthefashion May 14, 2009 at 03:20 #

i love how shu qi looks. simply elegant. it's early days yet, and hopefully we'll be seeing more looks from her–but i am in love with the color of this dress and how she accessorized it. that necklace is amazing.

elizabeth banks looks so great!

aishwarya's dress > aishwarya's hair

tilda looks pretty good too. you used the right word FC: gazelle. she does look like a gazelle. hmm…

19. gogoboi May 14, 2009 at 04:42 #

WWD said that shu qi opted for a roberto cavalli gown…but i doesnt look like roberto cavalli…it is more like valentino

20. just me May 14, 2009 at 08:36 #

I´m not impressed.

The red Armani on Liz Banks is gorgeous but I hate the hair.

Aish, Robin and Shu all look beautiful but bland and boring.

Huppert´s gown has beautiful detail but I´m not a fan of nude evening gowns.

Tilda is the coolest woman around. Damn, I love her.

I don´t get Eugenia´s Armani. There were beautiful and espectacular black gowns in the last Privé show if she wanted to go black. Hers is meh and jewels are tacky, imo.

21. Elisa May 14, 2009 at 08:52 #

I will never grow tired of Tilda Swinton. I can always forgive her for some of the few fashion mistakes she makes, because she takes so many chances and she is NEVER boring to watch on the red carpet.

22. Moi May 14, 2009 at 15:17 #

Does Armani Prive sponsors this event or what?

I like pretty much everything except the Asia Argento’s dress. But it’s only the beginning !

23. Amy May 14, 2009 at 18:14 #

All of their evening gowns are wonderful. Elizabeth Banks gown is perfect I love it.

24. Leo May 15, 2009 at 02:19 #

Isabelle is fantastic, and she looks great here. What a great way to start Cannes.

Tilda does looks statuesque and that dress just fits her to perfection. It’s her at her best.

25. GossipLicious May 15, 2009 at 06:36 #

Did the invitation says you had to wear Armani Prive or something?.

26. Alina May 15, 2009 at 06:42 #

Hi! Your site appeared on the News here,in Romania.

27. Fashion Critic May 15, 2009 at 07:53 #

Hi Alina. That is so amazing. Such a shame that I couldn’t get to see it. What did they say?

28. Fashion Critic May 15, 2009 at 07:54 #

GossipLicious I think they sponsored the event.

29. whitestroke May 26, 2009 at 17:15 #

Most of them chose dresses that fit them perfectly. Except Asia. The problem with her is that she’s got a very edgy, wild personality, and the sort of classic elegance looks she went with at Cannes don’t suit her spirit. I’d rather see her dressed like Jennifer Connelly or Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Eugenia’s dress looks awkwardly deflated.