11.05.09

2009 British Soap Awards

Best Use Of Colour Award
Emma Rigby injected a lot of glamour to the red carpet, wearing a strapless neon pink Temperley London gown.

For me the Hollyoaks actress is wearing too much make-up, which she doesn’t need because she’s so beautiful, plus the gown stands out, so she needn’t have bothered going overboard elsewhere.

Best Black Award
Charley Webb should give Emma some make-up tips, as hers is flawless.

The Emmerdale actress wore a sleeveless Jasmine di Milo black fringed mini dress, with a fringed overlay, plus she added a tan belt to break up the black, and give her dress some shape.

Her look was complete with Christian Louboutin black studded ankle boots.

Finally a head-to-toe black look I really appreciate.

Best Dressed Award
Emmerdale actress Sammy Winward, was my best dressed at this event, wearing an emerald green Alexander McQueen twist-front silk gown.

It’s chic, elegant, she’s not trying to seek attention, nor is she revealing too much.

The plunging dress was accessorized with a bejeweled clutch, and the young actress looked fresh faced with minimal make-up.

All White Award
Eastenders actress Rita Simons must be happy to have a night off wearing those damn tacky extensions, her character has to wear.

She wore her white pant suit with a black clutch, and metallic heels.

Colour Pop Award
Hollyoaks actress Ashley Slanina-Davies is wearing the blue Lanvin strapless pleated dress, which has been on my Wish List for a while.

The actress added pops neon pink to her lips and nails, to add more spice to her look.

Best Hair Award
Eastenders actress Kara Tointon was dazzling in a champagne head-to-toe look, including a cute Marciano bustier dress, with a feathered skirt, and peep-toe Louboutin’s.

I just love the way her brunette, honey tinted hair cascades down her shoulders. Pantene ad worthy.

Best Mini Award
Coronation Street’s Kym Marsh shows off her cracking legs wearing a mini aqua one-shouldered dress.

Her trademark bob, black heels, and matching aqua eye make-up complete her look.

Best Over 30 Award
There was a time when Eastenders Patsy Palmer was one of the younger stars on the red carpet at this event, but the only mark of her former wild child ways is the tattoo on her ankle.

Her navy one-shouldered draping gown is outstanding, I would love to own this dress.

Gold strappy sandals, and a purplicious purse complete this look.

Too Much Volume Award
Coronation Street’s Michelle Keegan loves colour, and most importantly big hair. Her hair always has plenty of volume on the red carpet. In this case, too much.

She opted for very interesting grey suede tribal Carvela heels with pink accents, which complimented her strapless bubblegum pink draped mini dress.

Worst Hair Award
I originally had Michelle Keegan as worst hair, until I saw the bouffant on Hollyoaks actress Jennifer Metcalfe’s. Talk about tragic.

She is wearing a really nice Matthew Williamson mosaic print gown, but the hair ruins the look.

Not Quite Finished Award
When I saw the top of Coronation Street actress Nikki Patel’s dress, I loved the colour.

But in the long shot, the gown is very blah. I looks like the designer didn’t have enough time to finish the dress. The pin in the front indicates where they should have continued working.

Best Runway Imitation Award
You maybe thinking that Eastenders actress Madeline Duggan is wearing a strapless Matthew Williamson Spring 2009 dress with embroidered pockets, but she is actually wearing a copy-cat version from Lipsy.

Her royal blue dress is paired with matching heels, and clutch. Not a bad look for the teenage actress, who doesn’t have a stylist.

Worst Runway Imitation Award
Her co-star Melissa Suffield also opted for a Lipsy dress, which could easily be confused with a Versace Spring 2009 zipper dress.

Her clunky black heels ruin this look.

How Low Can You Go? Award
Coronation Street actress Katherine Kelly’s mini embellished backless dress is so low, that it borders on tacky.

I adore her blush pink platform heels though.

Least Flattering Award
Hollyoaks actress Loui Batley arrived in a tent-like parachute dress from All Saints.

Her comb-over hairstyle doesn’t work for me either.

Worst White Award
Coronation Street actress Brooke Vincent’s gypsy princess look, was not a great idea.

Her white dress with the large blouson sleeves, which she wears off-the-shoulder, feels totally unbalanced, plus that gold wrap around her waist make the look feel very heavy.

Not So Golden Award
Eastenders actress Tiana Benjamin’s turquoise strapless gown had enough gold accents, without the added bling of bangles, necklace and earrings.

Oh No She Didn’t Award
EastEnders actresses Lauren Crace and Nina Toussaint-White arrived wearing the same French Connection Fast Bonny asymmetrical dress in different colours.

That’s gotta be embarrassing. Good thing Lauren’s character has been killed off the show, otherwise their would’ve been strong words on set this morning.

Worst Make-Up Award
Sorry Babs.

Eastenders actress Barbara Windsor went for a shade of eye-make, which matched her purple print dress. Unfortunately it makes her look quite frightful.

Most Boring Award
Jennie McAlpine’s character in Coronation Street wears a lot of bright colours, so I can’t help but feel disappointed by this all black effort.

I think the girls did really well at this event, considering they probably don’t have stylists.

Source

Who Wore Christian Dior Better? Emma Roberts, Leigh Lezark or Tinsley Mortimer

Who Wore Christian Dior Better? Emma Roberts, Leigh Lezark or Tinsley Mortimer

Runway To "Linate Airport" - Victoria Beckham In Victoria Beckham Collection

Runway To "Linate Airport" – Victoria Beckham In Victoria Beckham Collection

27 Responses to 2009 British Soap Awards

1. michelle May 11, 2009 at 10:06 #

some pretty dresses there. i loved the girl in the pink dress with really big hair, i actually preffered her hair to the one you name best haired, shows how much two people can feel differently about things!
    did you happen to look at the australian logie awards? there were some pretty dresses there.

2. Fashion Critic May 11, 2009 at 10:15 #

And there is nothing wrong with having differing opinions.

3. michelle May 11, 2009 at 10:53 #

i didnt mean to imply there was?

4. Fashion Critic May 11, 2009 at 10:59 #

I think you have misunderstood the context of my previous message.

Maybe I should have added a smiley face.

5. just me May 11, 2009 at 11:39 #

Gulp. Most of the girls are ruining pretty dresses by wearing too much make-up and/or terrible hair. Looks like an 80s prom, imo.

Charlie Webb looks amazing though. Great look head to toe.

Patsy Palmer looks elegant but ZZZzzzzzz…

6. Ling May 11, 2009 at 11:40 #

I need to find these Lipsy dresses! I love the Matthew Willamson lookalike dress, I prefer it in blue to pink. I think Patsy Palmer is by far the best dressed at this award! I agree with Michelle, I quite like Michelle Keegan’s big hair.

7. teresafarremiro May 11, 2009 at 11:50 #

Do you know of whom is the dress that wears Hollyoaks star Loui Batley?

8. Marianna May 11, 2009 at 12:06 #

Michelle Keegan’s hair looks like she the youngest sister of Fran Drescher, from The Nanny! hahahaha

xo

9. robbie May 11, 2009 at 12:51 #

emma, f*cking trashy she is pretty but she looks like she stole her style from 80s barbie.

charley, im liking it alot which is shocking since im hating black. but she looks hot, i love the make-up.

sammy, i adore this dress! the colour and everything is stunning. she looks smokin hot.

rita, wow this is so strange im so used to seeing her dress trashy for her character but damn she looks amazing.

ashley, wow it is either the flashes or else she is actually so pale. the dress is nice i would have prefered nicer shoes.

kara, wow the dress ius gorgeous, the shoes are nice. the hair is gorgeous, i love the colour.

kym, she has hot legs, but damn she has been looking fantastic lately. i love her trademark bob, and that colour is just so nice.

patsy, i love her she is fabby, love her hair, the dress and the shoes its all so perfect!

michelle, she needs to get rid on the catherina zeta jones style hair. the dress sure adds a big pop of colour though.

madeline, wow that looks alot lik the matthew williamson version, that is a good copy-cat. she looks dress i must say.

melissa *has a heart attack* those shoes are f*cking terrible.

latherine, i love the dress from the front, but the back, okay so either has VERY short legs and a longgg torso or she has not ass. but i still love the dress.

loui, she never gets it right. her hair is nice though.

tiana, i love her i love it all actually.

ouch! lauren and nina both look bad, and both wear predictable black shoes *yawn*

jennie, MY WORST F*CKING NIGHTMARE HAS HAPPENED! black dress, black tights and black shoes!

wasnt barbara windsor, june brown or samantha janus there?

10. Fashion Critic May 11, 2009 at 13:00 #

No Samantha no June Brown unfortunately.

11. robbie May 11, 2009 at 13:08 #

aww that sucks that samantha and june werent there.

jennifer, wow she is just like her character trashy. she ruined a dress by the fabulous matthew *calms down* BITCH!

nikki, i belt would have made this alot better.

brooke, oh god, one thing oompa loompa (orange) people shouldnt wear is white, it makes them look even more god damn orange. also the slight sight of bra showing is terrible.

barbara, i love her the dress is pretty, the makle-up looked better on screen i must admit.

12. Hayley May 11, 2009 at 13:28 #

Emma – Love the dress but wearing wayyyy too much make up, and she’s so pretty!

Charley – I love the shoes, and the bottom of the dress, but I think the top is a bit shapeless.

Sammy – Beautiful! And that colour looks amazing on her.

Rita – I think she looks as tacky as her character.

Ashley – SO gorgeous! Everything I love!

Kara – She looks beautiful, but I can’t help feeling she should have added some colour.

Kym – Really cute dress and amazing colour on her

Patsy – Easily one of the best dressed!

Michelle – She looks gorgeous and age appropriate. I actually love her hair!

Jennifer – Oh god. She is so beautiful naturally, so what has she done?! I LOVE the dress though!

Nikki – Aww, she looks really pretty. Shame about the dress.

Madeline – I love the dress on her, but don’t like the shoes, and she’s very orange.

Melissa – I LOVE her hair, and she looks cute apart from the shoes.

Katherine – I think she looks beautiful, and I think, because the front is so high, it doesn’t matter that the back is so low.

Loui – Train wreck.

Brooke – Awful and tacky

Tiana – Too much accessories!

Nina looks so much better in that dress than Lauren.

Babs – She usually looks amazing! What happened?

Jennie – Boring and a half.

13. Anonymous May 11, 2009 at 14:21 #

can u get the name of the shoe designer for MICHELLES’ SHOES

• ffion June 25, 2009 at 10:43 #

the name of michelle keegans shoes are carvela, if you type that in google a site link will come up. There in the sale not for £89.00 they where £120

• Fashion Critic June 25, 2009 at 10:57 #

thanks

14. zoe aka drinkupthefashion May 11, 2009 at 17:29 #

most of these girls look awfully terrible. no offense to you FC, but it seems that the brit girls need a lesson in style and poise from the american girls. this event was just a disaster. it was a terrible showing for the brits.

i did love two looks wholeheartedly though. kym marsh looks amazing in that bright aquamarine dress, and her hair is so sleek! and patsy palmer looks outstandingly beautiful. she picked a shade that works with both her hair and skin color. i love her shoes, her clutch and her cute smile!

15. robbie May 11, 2009 at 18:10 #

@ zoe.

most british girls dont look this trashy normally, alot of the time they look alot better. but a lesson is “style and poise” from american girls, i have to laugh (no offence) but considering most american girls are trashy, over tanned, bleach blonde and well fake, i dont think they have much to teach about style.

just look at miley cyrus, paris hilton, ashley tisdale (around about the 2006 – 2007 years) and alot of other young american stars, they all look trashy.

16. Lisa May 11, 2009 at 23:57 #

Kara Tointon’s dress is Marciano

I love that blue Lipsy dress on Madeline Duggan but I think my fav look was Michelle Keegan (minus the huge hair)

as for the Brits vs Americans debate that seems to have sprouted here… I think we can all agree that Canadian girls have the best sense of style :P
    kidding aside though, whether American or British, soap opera actresses are generally NOT representative of the general population

17. Fashion Critic May 12, 2009 at 00:20 #

Zoe, most of these girls do not have stylists and designers throwing clothes at them, like American stars do, so it’s hard to compare.

I think with their resources, most of them did OK.

18. Fashion Critic May 12, 2009 at 00:52 #

Lisa thanks so much, that is very helpful.

I’m sure everyone will back their own country in this debate :) but I would back the Asian girls and their fearless approach to fashion

19. Danika May 13, 2009 at 13:57 #

lol ‘just me said’ you said what I was thinking about an 80′s prom. Whats with all the big hair?!?

But come on it is the ‘soap awards’ we can’t expect elegant looks I guess…

20. naxia May 15, 2009 at 02:33 #

I think Tiana Benjamin’s gown is by Nicole Miller!

- N

21. Fashion Critic May 15, 2009 at 07:59 #

it is very similar thanks

22. Princess Nini September 7, 2009 at 19:31 #

Hi, I know this is late, but I was wondering if anyone knew the designer of the shoes Katherine Kelly was wearing ( the blush pink ones)? Or at least where I can find them for purchase. Thanks =]

• christopher raine October 4, 2009 at 14:16 #

the shoes that your looking for were from GINA . hope you can get them still! i can get the code for them of kathrine so you get the correct ones if wish….iam kates hair& make up so i will ask her tomorrow for you

23. sarah February 7, 2010 at 22:07 #

who knows the designer for michelle keegan’s dress?

24. Tanja June 5, 2012 at 14:31 #

Does anyone know the designer of Katherine Kelly’s dress?