05.05.09

Models @ The 2009 Costume Institute Gala

After Gwyneth Paltrow wore the gold version of this Versace Spring 2009 dress, plus it’s appeared on many magazine covers, Gisele Bündchen gave us something a little different with a navy blue spaghetti strapped version of this mini dress.

Not a jaw-dropping moment like last year, but you can always rely on her to look fabulous.

Daria Werbowy walked the runway the Balmain Fall 2009 show so she would have pre-selection what she wanted to wear to the event weeks ago. She opted for this black sequined plunging dress from the same collection, with black booties.

Anja Rubik also walked for Balmain, and it looks like she had her eye on this strapless silver piece, with a black asymmetrical hem from the Fall 2009 collection.

Still sporting her Auburn locks, Coco Rocha wore a gold asymmetrical Isaac Mizrahi Fall 2009 gown.

Donatella Versace had a busy night dressing yet another star in her Atelier Versace Spring 2009 collection. Claudia Schiffer opted for a black strapless gown, with many sheer panels.

We have been crying out for a new hairstyle for weeks, and Claudia gave us bangs to keep us quite.

Miranda Kerr wore a very revealing fringed Jil Sander Spring 2009 dress.

Iman supreme elegance as always in Donna Karan.

Karen Elson’s Gothic look is perfect for this Chanel Fall 2009 off the shoulder gown, with a white pleated collar.

The look of the Rodarte Fall 2009 collection included thigh high boots, but Jessica Stam opted for slingbacks with her Rodarte one-shouldered mini dress.

Despite the vivid yellow, I’m missing the wow factor I usually get from Amber Valletta at these types of events.

Helena Christensen’s pink Zac Posen custom Vogue gown is cute, but I would’ve preferred to see it on someone like Chanel Iman.

Hilary Rhoda wore a Thakoon Fall 2009 mini asymmetrical mini dress, with a pouffy piece on her shoulder. I much preferred this dress in black, as it was presented on the runway, but Hilary does look great in it.

As I said above I would have preferred that Helena and Chanel Iman has swapped dresses. Last night Chanel wore a pink Zac Posen Spring 2009 animal print gown.

Shalom Harlow is quite a mysterious character, and she isn’t giving much away in this vintage Bob Mackie black puffy coat dress.

Sessilee Lopez sparkled in a Zac Posen gown, as did Arlenis Sosa in Alberta Ferretti.

Isabeli Fontana pulled on a chartreuse mini for Calvin Klein, with matching pumps.

Alex Wek stood out in purple Emanuel Ungaro Spring 2009 mini dress, but she is so natural beautiful make-up weakens her look.

Narciso Rodriguez dressed Lily Donaldson in a black rise & fall gown.

Rachel Roy- in her own design – dressed both Lakshmi Menon and Joy Bryant. As much as I love them both Joy totally rocks my world in this dress.

Eva Herzigova wore a strapless nude Dolce & Gabbana dress, with Giuseppe Zanotti Special Edition crystal strap sandals.

Lara Stone rocks in her silver Alexander Wang dress.

Source & Source

2009 Costume Institute Gala - Best Dressed Part 2

2009 Costume Institute Gala – Best Dressed Part 2

Runway To The Costume Institute Gala

Runway To The Costume Institute Gala

26 Comments

26 Responses to Models @ The 2009 Costume Institute Gala

1. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 14:35 #

I love Jessica’s dress :)

I’m missing Magdalena Frackowiak here – she was wearing a beautiful cobalt blue dress by Thakoon :)

Lexa

2. Fashion Critic May 5, 2009 at 14:38 #

I was having trouble finding a few. Still updating this event.

I forgot its so huge.

3. Atelier May 5, 2009 at 14:39 #

sorry fashion critic but Daria Werbowy did not walk for balmain,,in fact she hasnt been in a runway show for so long, the last runway she did was versace fall 08…
    I Think Jessica Stam, Miranda Kerr, and Shalom Harlow were the ones who delivered some High Fashion,,,they definately were standouts and I cannot be more in love with their choices,,,
    Chanel Iman also looked lovely, she predicted a jlo fashion moment on her twitter page, and she gave us that, with a bit more class than jlo of course…

4. arol May 5, 2009 at 14:40 #

Love Iman and Coco Rocha.

If we’re giving suggestions Alek Wek looked amazing too!

5. Terry May 5, 2009 at 14:52 #

Shalom Harlow was amazingly beautiful in the Nineties and she still has all her charm! Love her!

6. DolceLorenzo May 5, 2009 at 15:13 #

You are amazing! Fabulous post!

7. Raquel May 5, 2009 at 15:27 #

Yeah, I hate to say this, but Helena is past the age for this dress. It’s too cute-cutesy for her. It screams “I’m 20 years old!”. Any other younger model would have pulled of this look perfectly. Shame, but after 30 few of us can still deliver the cuuuute factor… :(

Love Iman, Karen and Shalom. Alex looks fantastic in this purple dress, I wish I could see the details.

Everybody else, meh, meh. Short dresses are like a model’s uniform, aren’t they?

8. Rogue May 5, 2009 at 15:40 #

I hope that it is CLEAR that the models have outshone the celebs. Full stop.

9. Methedrine May 5, 2009 at 16:03 #

Gisele looks so gorgeous!

10. Vera May 5, 2009 at 16:08 #

LOVE: Lily Donaldson, Sessilee Lopez, Iman,Gisele and Daria. Ania Looks good.

Coco is such a disaster. Someone please stop her!

Claudia’s hair is so 90s))

11. Nik May 5, 2009 at 16:15 #

except for Shalom, Yawn

I really miss the Trinity and their crazy Alaia pieces

Also miss the Kaiser and all the other fab designers…I’m surprised Donatella showed up.

this year is hit and miss…slightly boring than last year

no major disasters…no major wow…I mean, if Marion Cotillard (an actress)is the best dressed at the event, and Anna Wintour looks that watered down, then you’ve lost all credibility Met Gala

Go Team Alaia and Team Vogue Paris

Boo to corporate greed and celeb-crazy, Machiavellian Devil in Prada/Chanel– to whome I have to raise my voice and say, “you are irrelevant! If it wasen’t for Bee, youd be stuck in 1989.”

12. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 16:24 #

Nadja’s wearing a dress Katie Holmes wore last year. Herzigova with her.

13. Rogue May 5, 2009 at 16:26 #

Nik, no one captured this year’s Costume Institute Gala better than you – and I’ve read A LOT of reviews.
    I’m telling the same thing for over a year.

14. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 17:01 #

I miss Doutzen Kroes in her Peter Som dress :(

15. miwa May 5, 2009 at 17:01 #

FC you’re missing Edita Vilkeviciute, she has a photo on style.com

Meh this was a huge let down overall. :/ At least Leighton Meester risked a bit.

16. robbie May 5, 2009 at 17:06 #

gisele, even more reason for me to hate her, she has THE LONGEST legs i have ever seen. hot.

daria, this is okay but not wowed by it.

anja now i am wowed by that, stunning.

coco, i am really hating her hair, but the dress is beautiful.

claudia *faints and dies* FINALLY something new with her hair, lord it took her long enough but that dress is gorge.

miranda, sexy but still classy.

iman, PERFECTION at its best, truly jaw dropping like a greek goddess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karen, she reminds me so much of nicole kidman when she was in moulin touge, simply beautiful!

jessica, i LOVE her and she looks smokin. amber, rather boring even though it is a bright colour.

helena, i truly love her but this is just silly on her, just screams mutton dressed as lamb, not good.

hilary, i adore this dress but the black is nicer and less in your face. not liking those shoes though.

chanel, it pains me to say this but i hate that dress on her, plus she is really slim looking, or maybe its the angle of the picture.

shalom, *yawn* boring.

sessilee, DAYMN! fantastic love that colour on her and just wow.

arlenis, i love the dress but those boots nope hate them.

isabeli, its all stunning from the ankles up, im really not a fan of her shoes.

alex, WOWWWW the colour always looks great on women with such dark skin, its just perfect.

lily, this would have looked better if it was just short, im not into the rise and fall style.

17. Ling May 5, 2009 at 17:23 #

The models were definitely the best dressed! I’m loving Claudia (finally something new with her hair!), Miranda, Hilary Rhoda and Sessilee Lopez.

18. shoeaholic May 5, 2009 at 17:40 #

I think they all look amazing, overall I like the models’ looks much more than the celebrities’, but I guess because of the theme, this was their moment!
    My only real disappointment is Miranda Kerr in that gorgeous Jil Sander dress, it looks so limp on her! That dress was made for someone with a bit more curves!

19. LILA May 5, 2009 at 19:36 #

Models totoally rocked the event.. as they were supposed to..since the theme was all about them. It was really weird that an event about models as muses, without the Trinity. Anyway, I love Anja and Daria in Balmain sooo much! Eva’s choice of shoes ruined the look for me, and, as much as i like her, Lara Stone looks quite trashy. Isabeli and Amber are really beautiful but kind of bland, while i liked Stam in Rodarte and Karen in Chanel! Claudia, who is wearing Atelier Versace if i’m not wrong, looks great, just like the gorgeous Iman. Shalom close up is breathataking but the outfit does nothing for me. Sessilee and Alek look like two absolute knock out! And, for as much as i ADORE Lakshmi, and LOVE Joy, i admit that Joy is rocking that gorgeous dress! Rachel, who’s a total beauty btw, looks great, minus the tights and Lakshmi..well, Lakshmi is Lakshmi..she would be my favourite even in a potato sack ^^

20. Daniella May 5, 2009 at 20:11 #

Daria didn’t walk for Balmain, or any show for hat matter :( I biased about her look cause I love her so much.

Miranda’s and Stam’s dresses are my favorite.

21. patti May 5, 2009 at 20:48 #

YEEES. it’s the models who look great. my favourites are: karen elson in chanel drees (and she has the most gorgeous hair!), Chanel in zac posen (the dress is so damn elegant and really suits her),
    alex wek with the wonderful purple/pik dress and the stunning skin, but you’re right with the make-up), isabeli, daria (such a beautiful balmain dress, that i actually didn’t know was a balmain untill now), miranda kerr (LOVE that dress) and lara stone, but she has so much sex appeal and i think that the silver and very glamorous dress is way too short.

and there’re a few others who look good, but only good.

anja looks boring in that dress. i know it’s a balmain and it’s a big hit and i looove balmain, but the dress is boring. really. maybe it’s because i’ve seen this kind of dresses too many times. the sandels are wonderful though.

22. zoe aka drinkupthefashion May 6, 2009 at 00:54 #

wow! most of these models look great! i am adding miranda kerr to my personal best dressed list for this event. she totally rocked that jil sander dress (i really liked that collection).

i’m also loving alek wek (the makeup doesn’t ruin anything!), arlenis sosa (dazzling!) and sessilee lopez (s-e-x-y!)

chanel iman seems to be getting skinnier by the moment. what’s happening?

gisele, daria and anja are just so cool. look at their legs! yes, i’m jealous. :)

23. Lala/S-R May 6, 2009 at 02:28 #

Is Miranda Kerr the sexiest thing here, or what!!??

• Iva September 13, 2013 at 16:11 #

24. Parvati May 6, 2009 at 03:14 #

My favourite looks were: Daria Werbowy (I just love her!), Coco Rocha (this time, her hair looks good and this is a beautiful dress), Miranda Kerr (revealing but not trashy) and Iman (classy & beautiful).

Is it just me or does Eva Herzigova's Dolce & Gabbana dress look very much like Scarlett Johansson's dress from last year's Met gala (also Dolce & Gabbana)?

25. whitestroke May 11, 2009 at 21:31 #

My favorite was actually Anna Jagodzinska. I’m usually not into all-red outfits, but she ROCKED it.

Won’t comment on all, but… Can’t STAND Gisele and her ‘style’. Whenever Daria appears outside of the runway and editorials it goes on to prove my theory that she’s got the ‘beauty’ that works only in the fashion context. I don’t find her pretty AT ALL in real life. And it’s amazing how ordinary she makes that dress look. Where are those crazy shoulder-pads? They completely disappear on her. Never thought I’d say this, but I’m not wowed by Anja Rubik either. NO ONE should wear Balmain after Anna Jagodzinska. Don’t like those Spring 2009 shoes with it either. Too much bling going on with both dress and shoes.

Jessica Stam is gorgeous. That dress is NOT for Helena Christensen, but for someone WAY younger.

I’m SHOCKED, but Chanel looks AMAZING in that dress.

LOVE Rachel Roy girls!
    Eva Herzigova – Those shoes DO NOT go with that dress.