Menu

05.05.09 Worst Dressed

2009 Costume Institute Gala – Worst Dressed

Madonna knows she looks bad in this Louis Vuitton Fall 2009 ensemble, but kudos to her for not seeming to give a damn that she will be on every worst dress list today.

If Marc Jacobs paid me her kind of money to be a campaign girl, I would show up to this event looking this ridiculous, bunny rabbit ears and all.

Actually, thinking about it, I wouldn’t.

As much as I admire Rihanna for trying something new, this Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2009 cropped pant suit, with voluminous shoulders doesn’t work for me.

Maybe I expected too much for her red carpet return.

When did being pregnancy become such a fashion crime?

Too much material has gone into covering Heidi Klum’s baby bump with this navy blue J.Mendel dress.

The cat’s out of the bag, why not show off the baby bump, in a tasteful way of course.

Oh Jessica Biel, I knew you wouldn’t let me down. Thank you for not ruining this moment by wearing something half decent, which would force me to say something nice about you.

She totally ruins this Atelier Versace Spring 2009 strapless rise and fall gown, with her cheap spray tan that looks like its started to wash out with the rain, I can’t quite decide who looks worst, Jessica or that Clark Kent wannabee on your arm.

Sorry you lose.

Woooo tan much

It looks like Victoria Beckham and Jessica Biel shared the same booth.

This cute polka dotted custom Marc Jacobs dress, may have worked for me, if it wasn’t for the unnecessary train. I’ve always hated trains on a short skirt.

She just can’t get this red carpet thing right.

Naomi Campbell Pulls Out Of The Costume Institute Gala

Naomi Campbell Pulls Out Of The Costume Institute Gala

2009 Costume Institute Gala - Best Dressed

2009 Costume Institute Gala – Best Dressed

76 Responses to 2009 Costume Institute Gala – Worst Dressed

1. Songz May 5, 2009 at 03:13 #

Rihanna looks amazing.

2. Amanda May 5, 2009 at 03:12 #

lol at Madonna, but she’s Madonna so she can do anything and wear anything and still garner respect. I can’t say the same for Rihanna, looking like a fool just doesn’t have the same effect on Rihanna as it does on Madonna =)

3. Amanda May 5, 2009 at 03:08 #

I knew it! I just knew Victoria Beckham would look like…crap. If ever there was a time to get it ‘right’ on the red carpet, it’s at the Costume Institute Gala and she just always screws up. It’s like she’s got two different styles, her fabulous street style and her horrendous red carpet style.

4. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 03:07 #

I don’t know if someone can answer this or not. It was reported that Jessica Biel was going to wear william rast. What do you think happen?

5. wi May 5, 2009 at 03:04 #

I’m sad really )); it aches me to see victoria not looking her best.

6. Kris May 5, 2009 at 03:02 #

it just keeps getting worse huh? You didn’t expect too much from Rihanna, you expected a sane look. This is RIDICULOUS. it is sooooooo “I’m not fashion savvy but I’m at the most ‘fashiony’ event so like I have to like be totally..fashion forward!” That’s exactly what Rihanna was thinking…if she was at all to have put that god awful ensemble together.
    And I really don’t like that nearly everyone is wearing Jacobs’ awful designs simply because he’s the host of the night.

7. Kiran_Sooknandan May 5, 2009 at 02:58 #

Hey f.c. Isnt rhianna wearing dolce @ gabanna?

so excited to see what comes next!

8. SWANKY-D May 5, 2009 at 02:53 #

Rihanna is ridiculous LOL

please featured emma roberts. she’s wearing red atelier versace too and still managed to look hot…

9. Nik May 5, 2009 at 02:52 #

BTW…VB is in LV.

10. Dorian Gray May 5, 2009 at 02:40 #

@don’t_make_me_laugh: F.C. loves Victoria but I admire her because she is always true and real about fashion looks. Victoria just missed this red carpet (and Madonna too, sigh!)

11. SWANKY-D May 5, 2009 at 02:40 #

dear don’t_make_me_laugh
    I think miss FC did a great job
    let’s face it! vicky is not that good in this event…

12. SWANKY-D May 5, 2009 at 02:38 #

OMFG!!!!
    What did Jessica biel do to that dress? I used to love that dress when it was presented..
    but Biel make it such a mess and ruined that beautiful dress.
    what a shame!

speaking of ruining, Madonna also ruined that navy dress.. She shouldn’t wore this dress to this event. its too fancy… but her braveness to wear this dress must get some thumbs.

about Klum dress, yes it’s too much material. She looked like a giant monster here 🙂

and i think vicky is too much… She’s not that good tonight…

13. Kris May 5, 2009 at 02:26 #

OH MY GOD. Madonna LITERALLY just sent me into hysterical laughter and that’s a rare thing with me when it comes to laughing at bad fashion. Fashion can get bad but never THIS FUNNY. holy …HOLY SHIT. that’s all i can say. Marc Jacobs has now officially become my number one least favorite designer.

14. Moody Crab May 5, 2009 at 02:23 #

What was Madonna thinking? What is that THING on her head! *falls off seat*

HIDEOUS!!!!!

15. Rebecca May 5, 2009 at 02:21 #

FC I knew you would have the first photos of VB. Shame I am not loving her “look”. I will say her legs are looking awesome though.

16. Kris May 5, 2009 at 02:18 #

VB’s dress doesn’t bother me, it’s those god awful LV shoes that don’t go with the dress at all. I understand she’s friends with Jacobs, but you don’t have to be THAT loyal.

OH lawday!! White trash has come to the MET. Does Jessica Biel even have a job? And how is Justin Timberlake relevant to fashion *(William Rast is just nonexistent) and I love the fact that she didn’t wear one of his ‘designs’.

Oh my, Heidi…how sad. I usually like her humor on the red carpet but this is just a joke.

17. Fashion Critic May 5, 2009 at 02:10 #

AMEN to everything you just said Amelia.

18. Amelia May 5, 2009 at 02:08 #

Can I just say I have lately been finding VB totally overrated and underwhelming? Maybe I’m just getting tired of that *pose* and her constantly wearing pieces from her own line, but this is the nail in the coffin for me. Any pedestal she was ever on has crumbled and she will need to do some serious work to climb back up!

19. ANTONIO EMANUELE May 5, 2009 at 02:06 #

agree, victoria victoria victora!
    this dress is very cute if it wasnt for the train, that was unecessary put it there, hate the heels either!

you know me, xoxo
    fashion from panama

20. ber May 5, 2009 at 01:52 #

At least Jessica is wearing color! That’s about all I can say for her look.

21. Fashion Critic May 5, 2009 at 01:52 #

Anonymous, probably not, but she still looks hideous.

22. sandigirl May 5, 2009 at 01:50 #

OMG Just saw Madonna’s outfit. Awful, in my opinion. Jessica Biel ruins this dress.

23. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 01:46 #

you really think Jessica Biel care about your opnion?

24. Dorian Gray May 5, 2009 at 01:36 #

What a shame! Atelier Versace dress is so beautiful, the fault is all of Jessica Biel! I hope there wil be other Versaces!

25. Antonio Emanuele May 5, 2009 at 01:32 #

well she totally ruins this atelier versace gown, altought i dont like it!

26. Payal May 5, 2009 at 01:23 #

That tan!!! How could she!!!

27. Avi May 5, 2009 at 01:17 #

Oi Va Voi! Just Seen VB, still undecided on her dress, but what hell is up with the cheap Rimmel Shimmer tan and those clunky bookends hanging from her feet?

28. Nik May 5, 2009 at 01:16 #

lol it is altier versace!

29. Regina May 5, 2009 at 01:11 #

Yay!Starts!Just saw Emma Roberts in red Atelier Versace!Stunner!!

30. Valerie May 5, 2009 at 01:11 #

I completely agree with you about Heidi Klum’s dress. Too much fabric!! And of course, Kate Moss never goes wrong.. ever!

31. Fashion Critic May 5, 2009 at 01:07 #

OMG smile you are right.

32. chris May 5, 2009 at 01:04 #

Although I agree with you re the tan, I really don’t think Jessica looks that bad – you generally give points to people who wear something different, perhaps your vehement dislike of Ms Biel may be clouding your judgement here! (That said, it is your blog :-))

33. ANTONIO EMANUELE May 5, 2009 at 01:03 #

LETS FACE IT!
    SHE DOESNT LOOK THAT BAD ON THAT DRESS, BUT LOOKS VERY CHEAP, SOMETHING…
    IF J T WAS BOYFRIEND AND COHOST OF THE MET COSTUME INSTITUE GALA, I WOULDNT WEAR A WILLIAM RAST DRESS!!

THATS A NOOO NOOO MOMMENT
    CANT WAIT TO SEE MORE

FASHION FROM PANAMA
    XOXO
    ANTONIO

34. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 01:02 #

Holy Hell did you see Victoria! Your gonna cry FC…HORRENDOUS in every single way! Too Tan!!

35. Avi May 5, 2009 at 01:01 #

Kate’s shoes are Fah-resh!

36. DolceLorenzo May 5, 2009 at 01:01 #

Jessica Biel is wearing Atelier Versace, isn’t she?

37. Avi May 5, 2009 at 01:00 #

Jessica Biel is a catalogue model with a really good agent.

38. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 00:59 #

Jessica is wearing Versace Atelier ss2009

39. Fashion Critic May 5, 2009 at 00:59 #

thanks peeps, the pictures are taking forever…..COME ON…

40. SMILE May 5, 2009 at 00:59 #

i actually quite like jessica dress, its the tan that ruins it and think her dress is Atelier Versace

41. Rogue May 5, 2009 at 00:59 #

Heidi’s hair – boring. I like the top of her gown.
    Jessica’s tan – disastrous (it’s the Costume Institute Gala in New York, not a movie premiere in LA!). The dress is not so bad, considered it’s Wiliam Rast.
    Justin looks decent.
    So far, nothing memorable.

42. Moody Crab May 5, 2009 at 00:55 #

Thank goodness I have your blog to turn to for this event after the disappointing appearances at the Oscars!

You’re the best FC!

43. Alicia May 5, 2009 at 00:52 #

Oh, Jessica Biel. It’s hard to believe she landed that Revlon contract, considering she hasn’t had a hit movie in, y’know, EVER.

It’s fitting that she has to wear an ugly gown designed by her boyfriend, considering that’s 98% of the reason she’s still famous…

44. Jacqueline May 5, 2009 at 00:51 #

i don’t think the dresses look THAT bad. I mean, Heidi could have done much better, but I actually like Jessica’s dress!

45. Dorian Gray May 5, 2009 at 00:50 #

I’m reading from Italy! God bless this website!
    What wil Victoria Beckham wear? Marc Jacobs? Vuitton? Armani? Valli???
    I can’t wait to admire her (and Madonna, and Kate too)

46. robbie May 5, 2009 at 00:48 #

heidi is a mess!

jessica, looks hot, least it isnt black, brown, grey or white. the tan though really not good.

47. Antonio Emanuele May 5, 2009 at 00:47 #

what hapened to her, she was having a great pregnancy style last week, why she put herself on shame in such a high profile event, can’t wait to see more of this event! Xoxo. Fashion from panama

48. Kelly May 5, 2009 at 00:42 #

Holy hot mess! Heidi looks far from her normally glamorous self.

I, too, can’t wait for your Biel comments!!

As always, thanks for being so up to the minute on events.

49. Fashion Critic May 5, 2009 at 00:35 #

The pictures always start off slow, then they some in so fast.

I’ve seen the long shot, just waiting for the close up.

50. Freida fan May 5, 2009 at 00:32 #

yay it starts! im happy i have ure blog this year to follow cause i love this event.
    agree about heidi too much material.
    cant wait to see what u have to say about ms biel. haha