05.05.09 Best Dressed

2009 Costume Institute Gala – Best Dressed Part 2

This is how you make a Louis Vuitton Fall 2009 dress work.

Kerry Washington only slightly modified the dress from the runway, but it still keeps it edge, it’s still sexy and sassy. Despite this being a very strong piece, Kerry still shines through. This look doesn’t feel forced.

She was my joint best dressed of the night.

The actress is wearing the same Fall 2009 Louis Vuitton heels as Leighton.

Georgina Chapman, looking this gorgeous is just too easy for you.

The Marchesa designer is wearing one of my favourite pieces from the her Fall 2009 collection.

This scarlet duchess satin embroidered dress with a bow detail was the jewel in the crown of her collection, and just made Best Dressed for me 3 way tie.

What is it about Kate Hudson and gold gowns, that seems to always work so well?

The actress looked spectacular wearing a gold sequined embroidered backless keyhole Stella McCartney gown, with a bronze hard box clutch.

Stella herself looked fantastic wearing a self designed black lace embroidered long sleeve plunge-neck jumpsuit, with black satin pumps.

This Gothic-like look is not what I would have expected from Kate Bosworth, and because it’s different I really like it. Bruce Willis seems to like it too.

The actress wore a Stella McCartney black long sleeve lace and silk gown, with marcel waves, and red lips that really pop.

Liv Tyler completed Stella’s Angels, by wearing a navy bead embroidered plunge neck Stella McCartney gown, with navy platform pumps.

The sophisticated elegance she is oozing, is simply breath-taking.

I was excited to see Marisa Tomei, and she didn’t let me down.

The actress continues to make great style choices after awards season, wearing a vintage Adrian ivory crepe gown, with a intricate embroidered detail cascading down the front of the gown.

An ivory clutch, matching heels, and a floral hair accessory complete the look.

No one should be surprised that Renee Zellweger is wearing a strapless Carolina Herrera Fall 2009 gown. Herrera’s muse is nothing but consistent with her look.

What’s surprising is that the gown doesn’t appeared to be modified from the runway, and she’s also sporting a ponytail, which is not exactly clear in this picture.

Kristin Dunst wore something similar to this Chanel Spring 2007 Couture navy gown, to the 2007 Oscars, but she didn’t quite have the poise, and confidence to pull it off, like she did in this gown last night.

The embroidered details are divine.

Claire Danes glows in her stunning two-tone asymmetrical Armani Privé gown.

When Agyness Deyn evokes old Hollywood glamour like this, it’s hard to hate.

Her metallic silver Burberry gown only elongates her already tall frame.

Her white gold and diamond pave Bvlgari necklace compliments her gown perfectly, plus she has a yellow gold tourmaline, emerald and diamond ring.

Rachel Bilson opted for something sexy, young, short and fun, wearing a ruched green Bally by Brian Atwood dress, with Bally python slingbacks.

Lake Bell’s androgynous works for me.

Dude looks like a lady wearing a black tailored suit, whilst carrying a Raven Kauffman Couture clutch.

For half a second, I thought she was Penelope Cruz.

Surprisingly safe for Katy Perry, I would have expect her and not Leighton Meester to be the wildcard for the night.

Her Tommy Hilfiger silk cobalt blue halter gown, is very sexy and elegant on her, and I adore the colour.

The cuff has a Woman Woman feel to it.

Eva Longoria’s black wore an incredibly sexy Diane von Furstenberg dress, with an open back and keyhole front, but the necklace feels a bit heavy.

I was about to say that Dontalla Versace didn’t modify her dress for once, but I notice that her Versace Fall 2009 aqua blue gown, doesn’t have the side split like the runway piece.

Cindy Crawford has not age a day in 20 years.

The Uber model arrived wearing a cobalt blue Versace Fall 2009 gown, with safety pins, and a thigh high split.

All her accessories matched her dress, and so did her smoky make-up.

I wish Allegra Versace had worn something more colourful, but I do like the construction on her Atelier Versace Spring 2009 mini dress.

As Marc Jacobs was the chair of this event, I was interested to see which Marc Jacobs piece Anna Wintour would wear. Instead she opted for a white and black trimmed Chanel Spring 2009 Couture gown.

I’m glad it’s something new, despite it feeling quite familiar.

Ciara wowed in a black and white backless Emilio Pucci gown, with embellished details going down the side.

Ivanka Trump looked like a fairy princess wearing a custom blush tulle Brian Reyes floret gown, with her own Ivanka Trump Fine Jewelry, a Judith Leiber clutch, and Christian Louboutin ‘Bow T Dorcet’ heels.

If I was skilled enough in photoshop, I would have etched out Amber Rose’s tattoo, because it ruins everything great about this look.

She didn’t go crazy, as I expected her too. Had she worn something like Leighton, I wouldn’t have been surprised.

The sexy silhouette, and the ravishing red colour, it what made me fall in love with this gown.

I have been going back and forth about Mary-Kate Olsen’s Christian Lacroix Fall 2007 Couture gown since yesterday, which is why I have posted it last.

Is it too costumey? Is she too short to pull it off? Is it too crazy and ott?

And today, I have decided the answer is no to all those questions.

The gown is outstanding, with the metallic lace and silver-embroidered bustier-basque, plus tiered ruffled skirt. I think she pulls it off quite nicely.

2009 Costume Institute Gala - Worst Dressed Part 2

2009 Costume Institute Gala – Worst Dressed Part 2

Models @ The 2009 Costume Institute Gala

Models @ The 2009 Costume Institute Gala

30 Responses to 2009 Costume Institute Gala – Best Dressed Part 2

1. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 10:06 #

pls feature claudia n liz hurley…

ana

2. Fashion Critic May 5, 2009 at 10:10 #

still updating. So many people attended. :)

3. Emma May 5, 2009 at 10:37 #

Clare Danes looks beautiful- loved that dress when it was on the runway all a couple of season ago. I like the dress Rachel Bilson is wearing but I feel like it sits low on her chest, or looks like it is pulling down on her chest, something about it just seems as though it might slip off her!

Thanks for the coverage FC, makes revising for my finals a little better!

4. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 10:47 #

I am revising for my final too. It’s so great that when I refresh the page every several minutes there are new posts. Thanks FC, it keeps me living through piles of books.
    I think that Rachel Bilson looks cute and hot, considering what she wore last year, the hideous blue gown and the poodle hair…but this year she didn’t bring her best accessories: hayden christensen!:(

5. SWANKY-D May 5, 2009 at 10:52 #

i am not so wowed with Katy Perry's look. the dress & the accessories is good, but her face is duh!
    she's too cleopatra for me..

I totally love CIARA. she is such an edgy girl and she's never try so hard.
    I love you for putting her in best dressed list.
    I love her as I love new Agy Look. She's fab

6. Dorian Gray May 5, 2009 at 11:12 #

Can you add Claudia Schiffer in VErsace too? Thanks!
    Isn’t been a very (good) Versace night?
    Thanks for everything FC!

7. Ling May 5, 2009 at 11:19 #

LOVE Ivanka Trump – probably my favourite of the lot (so far …!)

8. serap May 5, 2009 at 12:15 #

i dont know why but i cant get off the feeling that anna wintour is the most boring styled woman ive ever seen so far.
    i mean come on, she could do so much more she is the head of vogue but looks like a sleeping pill, at least for me.
    love liv tylers dress, she looks so beautiful in it!!

9. SWANKY-D May 5, 2009 at 12:19 #

this is what i’m waiting for…
    Kerry Washington didnt let us down

she’s like WOW!!!

10. robbie May 5, 2009 at 12:36 #

kerry, looks amazing as always, such a stunning dress, and she just wow!

kate, its nice but it doesnt wow me to be honest.

stella, its okat but she looks like she is wearing a doilie.

kate, at first i was wowed by it, but now i just find it boring.

liv, DAMN now she looks amazing. love the colour against her skin.

marisa, blahhhhhhhh.

kristin, wowza i loved this dress on the runway but on her is looks so much nicer.

claire, i lve her, love the dress hate the colour, it looks like dirty dish water.

agyness, wow this has to be the most shocking look from the night, even more shocking than anne hathaway, she looks smokin hot!

rachel, blahhhhhh she is just so god damn boring.

lake, there is just something really weird looking about her lips, hate this look.

katy, she has just gotten so boring lately, at first she was always quirky dressing in funky vintage style outfits but now she dresses like everyone else what a let down.

eva, im getting sick of her ass shots, she is gorgeous, but black! WTF married life truly has drained her of style.

dontalla, HOLY COW! she looks great the colour is gorgeous against her orange skin. i love her but she needs to ditch the orange skin.

cindy, looks hot as always, the dress is hot without being slutty.

allegra, rather boring.

anna, bored of her she just always looks the same, for a women who can basically control fashion she doesnt really dress that well.

ciara, that is emilio pucci? that ias a dull dress for pucci.

inanka, its okay i suppose.

amber, haha you can dress a skank in a nice dress but she will still make it skanky.

11. Camilla May 5, 2009 at 13:00 #

Mk looks A-okay!

12. robbie May 5, 2009 at 13:12 #

georgina well damn she looks amazing and probably one of the only ones who actually truly looks great.

mary kate, the dress is stunning, on her its not. she looks like an old hag you would see in medievil times.

13. Raquel May 5, 2009 at 14:42 #

Lake looks too custome-ish. In a way, it’s worse than Rhianna. Hate that.

The black acessories ruin Ivanka look for me.

Ciara and Eva look stunning, but I agree that the neckline is a too heavy, even though it provides some much needed spark to the whole look and light her whole face.

I’m torn about Agyness because I hate silver lame, but it’s interesting to see her getting out of her comfort zone.

Yeah Kate Hudson looks good in gold, but the hair is meh, and the dress is just… too her. Change a bit dear!

Georgina looks fantastic.

I don’t like Kerry’s Vuitton dress.

I’m sorry, but Rachel looks awful. It’s a cheap look that any starlet wears on the red carpet and, honestly, I think it is nt enough for the event. If one must goes for a short look in a en event like that, one must voews us even if the result is a disaster, like Leighton. The hair is … awful, again.

Yeah, Cindy doesn’t age, but it is the sort of dress I would expect on Liz Hurley.

14. arol May 5, 2009 at 14:47 #

I just want to go up and yank Kirsten’s dress up a little bit. Then it would have been great.

Love Liv Tyler and Ciara.

15. Terry May 5, 2009 at 14:53 #

Agyness Deyn’s hairstyle and pale lipstick ruin all the effort she has done wearing that lovely Burberry dress.

16. robbie May 5, 2009 at 14:58 #

renee looks so boring, oh well least she is keep carolina in business i suppose.

17. eva May 5, 2009 at 15:17 #

great work fc!
    for me its a tie btw georgina n marion for best dressed in dis event

p.s:Bee Shaffer in Nina Ricci looks good too

18. Raquel May 5, 2009 at 15:30 #

I’m sure the Herrera headquarters have a room with all the strapless mermaid goom with a huhe “Renee’s dress” on the door. Boring, but she looks really good in this shade of green. Love the necklace, and it is just me or her face looks much softer than usual – in a good way?

19. Nicole May 5, 2009 at 15:51 #

Renee looks…good?

Crazy. You can see her ponytail behind the first picture of Kerry Washington. I really like it.

FC I LOVE this site. You do an outstanding job!

20. Methedrine May 5, 2009 at 16:11 #

Blue is for sure one of the colour of the night!
    Liv Tyler and Kerry Washington are so breath taking!
    Clair Danes and Rachel Bilson are great too so as Kate Hudson. I also love Lake Bell’s look but I must that I’m not crazy about the other look…

21. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 16:58 #

I’m sorry but Kirstin Dunst looks like an old country singer in that dress. And just look at her shoes and leggings. Awful

22. Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 17:09 #

Im loving the olsen twins,Kirsten Dunst

Renee Zellweger,Marion Cotillard,Marisa Tomei and Anne Hathaway=LOVE LOVE squared,I love how they wear classy pieces and still outshine the edgy people!!

I am just amazed at how many Atelier dresses were ruined today!

23. Kris May 5, 2009 at 17:46 #

Okay, firstly, I usually agree with you on most of your best/worst dressed lists for the most part. But this part 2 of your best dressed is just ..ridiculous. I mean..really? :( Ayaya

TALK about wrong dress for someone. That LV is SO wrong for Kerry Washington. She always plays it safe and always wears very simple clothes and this look is just not at all her. It’s the same exact issue you had with Molly Sims that you were right about. Just because we like this woman doesn’t mean we can’t say …she looks dumb. ;)

Georgina Chapman..has she ever done anything wrong? No, this woman is so stunning and always dresses so beautifully and it doesn’t bother me one bit that she always wears things from her collection the same way it shouldn’t bother anyone that VB always wears things from her collection. hmmm, just a thought.
    Rachel Bilson is adorable but this is the wrong dress for such an event, she looks like she’s going on a summer date with a boy. This is the GALA!

WOW. I thought I’d hate Lake Bell’s look but her personality so carries this look. It’s great.
    KATY PERRY? What? Worst dressed list. That whole wonder woman theme was last year’s miss perry, did she not get the memo.

Eva looks trashy and boring.
    I love how Wintour is so unapologetic about the fact that she will never wear something that she doesn’t think suits her style, but then again she’ll never look like a fool either.

Why is Ciara at a fashion gala? Alaia wasn’t invited but Ciara and Emma Roberts were? Oh, American Vogue.
    I don’t like the drapery of Ivanka’s dress, it’s very..unbecoming.

Kanye and his paid bitch are a joke. That was a bit harsh but these kids look sooo foolish.

Okay this is where I was like WHAT when seeing this ‘best dressed’ list. Mary-Kate. The hair? That disgusting mess works for her grungy everyday outfits but have some respect for fashion, it’s the gaaalaaa. Terrible, oh so terrible. I’m always praying that she’ll wear something that won’t garner laughs because I like the Olsens’ overall style but this is just ..unkempt.

And you’re right, this year’s Gala was so underwhelming. Only Georgina and Kate Beckinsale really ..almost..blew me away. No one came close though. :( I’ll be waiting for Cannes.

24. Raquel May 5, 2009 at 18:26 #

Yes, yes, yes, KRIS is right, people don’t get it is a GALA and chose to dress like if they were going to their normal red carpet event.

This is why I think Anne H and Georgine are fab: because they are in short dresses but those are sill gala enough, fashion enough, fab enough, appropriated enough for the event.

25. patti May 5, 2009 at 21:45 #

stella m looks GREAT in that jumpsuit. it’s really beautiful.

26. Lala/S-R May 6, 2009 at 02:12 #

Now, that’s how you work a tux (Lake Bell)! She should have a longgggggggggg conversation with Rihanna.
    Aggy looks cute, for a change.
    Late B= HOTTEST THING!!! She looks amazing!
    Eva is working the crap out of that dress! She’s simply gorgeous!
    Ciara is…still looking like a man! But GREAT gown.
    Gosh, Amber’s tattoo is just making me mad!!
    MK looks…gosh, I’m on the fence!
    Katy looks FRIGHTENED, as always. But great look for her!
    BUT, the absolute best if Kerry Washington!!! OMG, OMG, OMG, I envy her for looking that great! She def wore that LV dress, as opposed to it wearing her!!! She looks fantastic!!! LOVE HER LOOK FROM HEAD TO TOE!!!

27. Parvati May 6, 2009 at 03:35 #

I’m not sure about Agyness Deyn’s look. I wouldn’t put her on my Best Dressed list, but not on my Worst Dressed one, either. And it’s because I think that the look on her face and her posing don’t really fit her old-Hollywood-glamour look she went for.

I also didn’t like Rachel Bilson’s outfit – it’s a nice dress but I find it too simple for the Met gala – she could have worn this dress to any other (less glamorous)event.

I also don’t really like Cindy Crawford shoes. They are too machy-machy with her dress. I would have preferred silver sandals or something like that.

Outfits that I loved: Kate Hudson, Katy Perry, Eva Longoria Parker and Ciara.

28. Lala/S-R May 6, 2009 at 18:44 #

Kate*

29. Pamela Simmons May 6, 2009 at 23:19 #

I think Ivanka looks fantastic. I absolutely love that Brian Reyes gown. Very pretty!

30. whitestroke May 11, 2009 at 21:15 #

Kerry Washington – I love it!

Stella McCartney girls – Kate Hudson looks good, but we’ve seen her too many times in similar outfits. I’m especially disappointed with Kate Bosworth. I thought she’d be more adventurous than that. I think her dress is the modification of this one, and that’s just way too simple. They could have left the top part the same, Kate is skinny, she can pull it off without the black part going up that high, and even the bottom part could have been modified to just have tan underlays underneath the lace parts, not to reveal too much. The version they went for is so boring and so unlike Kate. Liv looks GORGEOUS. I love that dress on her.

Renee Zellweger – Love the way she looks. She simply glows.

Kirsten Dunst – Not bad, but not that special either.

Claire Danes – This is a classic BORING in my book.

Agyness Deyn – It’d look even better without the necklace.

Versace girls – Dear God, I hated that Fall 2009 collection. The same I think for Donatella and Cindy’s dresses applies for Blake Lively as well. Those dresses are so middle-aged women in the 90s. I thought we were passed that style.

Mary-Kate Olsen – The dress SHOULD be more fitted, but then it wouldn’t be Mary-Kate. I’m really starting to like the Olsens’ outfits. They’ll always wear too big and we have to accept it. The fact is, they HAVE style.