28.04.09

When Carla Bruni Met Princess Letizia of Spain

With Michelle Obama back in the US, Carla Bruni no doubt breathed a sigh of relief not have to share her ‘First Lady of Fashion’ title.

You can just imagine Carla saying, “here we go again”, as she arrived at a lunch yesterday with Princess Letizia of Spain looking drop dead gorgeous.

Carla arrived wearing a very conservative navy Christian Dior dress, with Louboutin kitten heels (aaaargghh), whereas Princess Letizia, arrived wearing eggplant tiered dress by Spanish designer Felipe Varela, with lust worthy lilac croc heels…proper heels, with a platform and everything.

Carla looks appropriate, and appears to have done her best to not outshine her host, but am I alone in thinking she has lost her sparkle, or has the competition just got that much better?

Carla used to wow me. Now, not so much.

Source

First Ladies Of Fashion: Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni Sarkozy Meet Again

First Ladies Of Fashion: Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni Sarkozy Meet Again

First Ladies Of Fashion: Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni Sarkozy Meet Again

First Ladies Of Fashion: Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni Sarkozy Meet Again

22 Responses to When Carla Bruni Met Princess Letizia of Spain

1. shoeaholic April 28, 2009 at 20:10 #

They both look demure, sophisticated, radiant and amzing! I usually HATE kitten heels, but this time I think Carla Bruni makes them work..

2. amy b.s. April 28, 2009 at 20:14 #

although they both look great, of course, princess letizia definitely got me to say “wow” out loud. i think it’s too soon to rule carla bruni out, but she’s definitely slipped a little lately in the “wow” category…she still looks fantastic though. minus the heels.

3. robbie April 28, 2009 at 20:20 #

i hate louboutin kitten heels, its such a waste of that stunning red sole.

carla looks beautiful. but the heels are boring.

princess letizia looks AMAZING, that dress is stunning and i love the shoes.

speaking of louboutins im seriously excited im getting my very first pair of louboutins soon yayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Ally April 28, 2009 at 20:24 #

I think they both look absolutely amazing from behind, but both dresses get a little boring in the front (esp Carla Bruni’s). Love the color of both though.

5. Nemesis April 28, 2009 at 20:29 #

but in the official dinner you can see who has real style; letizia looks ok, although the dress is not very beautiful and it looks too big for her. Carla stole the limelight in my opinion.

6. Valeria April 28, 2009 at 20:30 #

Maybe it’s just because I’m from Madrid, Spain, but I think Princess Letizia was stunning with that heels that were fantastic. The dress was beautiful too and Felipe Varela is one of the most elegant designer in our country.
    Carla was just ok. Her kitten heels were so boring, but she can’t wear higher heeels because his husband is shorter than her. Just because of the etiquette.

7. Fashion Critic April 28, 2009 at 20:34 #

I know :(

It such a shame about the heels.

8. Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 20:38 #

Letizia looks like an editor of US Vogue – I like how those shoes “match” her elegant shift. The magenta lining is also very pretty, if someone noticed.
    Carla looks polished, too, of course, but she is either afraid of looking overly “trendy”, or perhaps, after all these years in the fashion industry, she wants to leave her dress-me-up image behind her.

David

9. Meg April 28, 2009 at 21:09 #

I’m drooling over Letizia’s shoes.

I don’t know why Carla feels she can’t be taller than her husband, there are plenty of wives who are taller and their husbands are fine with it.

10. Raquel April 28, 2009 at 21:16 #

I think they both look appropriated, but Carla ALWAYS downplays things a little when she is with a foreign host. Her dress is nice, I don’t like the color, though.

About the kitten heels… well, I really don’t mind. They are appropriated and for me that is what counts. Letizia wears high heels all the time, even when she should go simpler, because her husband really towers over her.

FC check the pictures from the official gala, Carla is stunning there.

11. Freida fan April 28, 2009 at 21:23 #

Princess Letizia steals this for me.. She looks great in that colour..
    Princess Rania in my opinion has much more spark than Carla..and her wadrobe is fab!

Nicole

12. Natalia April 28, 2009 at 22:07 #

Both ladies look lovely, and appropriate. I agree that Louboutin Kitten heels just shouldn’t exist tho. :)

I love your blog so much! It’s amazing and I am totally in awe of how your are able to stay on top to the fashion pulse. Whenever I see a celebrity I can be sure that if I can’t figure out what the are wearing I can come here and then… Vola! Problem solved. Keep up the amazing work.

And if you ever have time to vist a new fish on the blog sphere, please check me out. I’d be more than honored.

13. Danielle April 28, 2009 at 22:10 #

What really bothers me with Carla's Dior dress is that the dress looks so tight, her breasts look squashed.
    Letizia looks amazing here! She wins this hands down. Will she be a contestant for best dressed of the week?
    It must be exhausting for Carla to always have a fashion competition. But then again, I would like to trade places with her & her closet!

Ps. I hate kitten heels just as much as platform heels.

14. Ling April 28, 2009 at 23:54 #

Princess Letizia looks gorgeous! A candidate for Best Dressed of the Week? I think that Carla has lost some of her sparkle, and that other women in similar positions to her have just got more fashionable so she seems to stand out less now. Damn those kitten heels!

15. SarahV April 29, 2009 at 02:21 #

I think they both look stunning! I usually dislike kitten heels, but somehow I don’t mind them here…

16. Ahot April 29, 2009 at 09:38 #

Princess Letizia has always been fashion icon among the Royalties ,so no surprise she won this so easily . she wasn’t going to be impressed by an ex-model. I remember she being sharply criticised for her love for Valentino.

17. Marianna April 29, 2009 at 12:44 #

Thay both look gorgeous, but its time to Carla change her colors! She wears nothing but navy and purple!

18. leo April 29, 2009 at 20:25 #

I love Carla and her style, she looks incredibly chic there. I don’t think any princess, politician or first lady does it better than her.

19. zoe aka drinkupthefashion April 29, 2009 at 21:33 #

carla looks good (the best she's looked in a while), but letizia looks GREAT. i loooveeee her dress and those heels are so amazing. <3

20. Kris April 30, 2009 at 02:36 #

Ugh, seriously guys? Don’t just look at what the piece of clothing is, look at how the person is wearing it. Carla always works kitten heels; they look great on her, and remember that she wears these low heeled shoes because her husband is much, much shorter than her. Speaking of her husband………SHE wears demure dresses because she’s Sarkozy’s wife; she’s not going to leave the house looking like Beyonce. Come on people, consider the facts. :( I love Carla.

21. Kate April 30, 2009 at 06:29 #

The photo of the two of them from behind is a striking image. Letizia wins it but they both are gorgeous women who look great. Letizia and Princess Mary of Denmark are my two favorite royals. Mary has fantastic style as well, hopefully I’ll see her on here one day.

22. ld August 19, 2013 at 07:21 #

Carla has NOTHING to worry about in regards to Michelle Obama. Carla’s beauty and class shine through, even in the drabbest of clothing, whereas Michelle tries way too hard to make herself seem fashionable.