Runway To "Grey Gardens Panel Discussion" – Drew Barrymore In Elie Saab

When Drew Barrymore attended the Grey Gardens panel discussion, presented by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in Hollywood on Friday, she wore a sea green Elie Saab Fall 2009 one-sleeved dress.

OK. Let’s start with the positives.

I love the dress, especially the colour, the draping across the shoulders and hips, plus the clear belt which nips her in at the waist.

I also like the Cyndi Lauper-esqe hair and make-up. But I really didn’t like the Giuseppe Zanotti cut-out shoe boots.

OK I hate the boots. So out of touch with everything else that is going on, and such a sad note to end a perfect week.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source
Drew Barrymore's 'Find It In Everything' Book Launch Party

Drew Barrymore’s ‘Find It In Everything’ Book Launch Party

Runway To "Star Trek" Madrid Photocall - Zoe Saldana In Loewe

Runway To "Star Trek" Madrid Photocall – Zoe Saldana In Loewe

24 Responses to Runway To "Grey Gardens Panel Discussion" – Drew Barrymore In Elie Saab

1. Eli April 19, 2009 at 19:28 #

You’re definitely right about the boots, but I think the biggest problem about this look is length of the dress. It looks awkward. It defintely should have been shortened to the length shown on the runway.

2. Carmen April 19, 2009 at 19:46 #

I was missing some Elie Saab but this is just not right. These boots, the lenght and her skin colour are not right. The dress is exquisite as usual but this is by far her worst look this week.

3. Freida fan April 19, 2009 at 19:54 #

i dont like this look. especially the bootS! makes her look shorter than she is.

Nicole.

4. Sydne April 19, 2009 at 20:05 #

Totally agree about the length and boots. But I do like the dress, and the way Drew’s body looks in it. Maybe you can just crop the photo and we can forget that she ended the week on a bad note ;)

5. Fashion Critic April 19, 2009 at 20:10 #

I wish I could :)

6. SydneyCheapChic April 19, 2009 at 20:41 #

agree as well with length and shoes.. darn! it would’ve been the perfect styling(?) streak.

But still.. she has been amazing all week.. and this dress IS soo gorgeous!

7. patti April 19, 2009 at 20:41 #

oh my god, she looks good. but the problem is that the dress is too long. the boots are ok,i really like them, but she should have make the dress shorter with these boots.
    anything else are fine. she’s so lovely. love the hair-thing, the colour and the red lips.

8. MatteaAva April 19, 2009 at 20:58 #

omg, i totally agree with you…that is exactly what i thought yesterday when i saw the pics…and i was sure you’ll write what you just did ^^
    i dont get it…why did she have to choose those butt-ugly boots?!
    whyyyy?! she had an amazing week…
    xD

9. robbie April 19, 2009 at 21:02 #

TERRIBLE!

she actually does look like cyndi lauper, which is who i thought it was before it read the name.

10. Anonymous April 19, 2009 at 21:15 #

Who’s Cydia Lauper?

11. robbie April 19, 2009 at 21:19 #

@ anonymous, cyndi lauper is a successful singer from the 80s, 90s up til now, also a huge gay icon and in some cases a style icon.

you mgiht know her song “girls just wanna have fun”

12. Fashion Critic April 19, 2009 at 21:20 #

Bless you. You must be under 20 :)

And you are making me feel very old.

She sang ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’. Google her.

13. Anonymous April 19, 2009 at 22:40 #

No, you spelled it worng FC. I googled Cydia that’s why. I thought iw was a different person you meant that’s why. I know who she is lol

14. Fashion Critic April 19, 2009 at 22:47 #

my bad

15. nisha April 19, 2009 at 22:57 #

drew looks good i love everything about it except that the shoes don’t go.i like the shoes but not with dress.drew has ben on fire this week god so many amazing looks.i am really looking forward to what she wears next hopefully this will nevr end.i didn’t know who cyndi lauper was either anon and i too googled her and utubed.i can see the resemblence.fc thanks for metinong that as i quite liked cyndi lauper’s music.thanks for posting go drew

16. Paulo April 20, 2009 at 00:52 #

I think my problem with this look is more about the dress than the shoe choice. The draping just seems so bulky on Drew…especially compared to the runway look. The length is also the other problem as the pencil cut of this dress is completely lost on Drew and it looks semi balloonish.

The shoes would probably have worked if a) the dress is shorter and fit better and b) her hair style and accessory matched the vibe of the shoes.

17. SydneyCheapChic April 20, 2009 at 01:14 #

Now that I have a second look.. i think the angle of the camera doesn’t help..

If it was from a better angle maybe the length wouldn’t be so bad… now if i can just find a justification for the shoes.. (which i do like, just not with this dress.. it would’ve looked better with nude pumps)

18. KAYA April 20, 2009 at 03:10 #

Elie Saab’s collection is gorgeous, I hope to see more of it on the red carpets.

19. Fashion Critic April 20, 2009 at 09:07 #

SydneyCheapChic, there is not justification for the shoes LOL

20. Anonymous April 20, 2009 at 14:41 #

I really don’t know what do you guys hate so much about her shoes (btw, I definitely wouldn’t call them “boots”). They’re just not the safest choice, that’s all.
    I mean, just look at the idiotic shoes Almudena Fernandez is wearing, and nobody is moaning about those! The woman is wearing a frilly bustier gown, and then those frumpy sandals. Horrible…

David

21. Anonymous April 20, 2009 at 14:48 #

And, yeah, probably it would’ve looked “better” with nude Louboutins and a shorter dress, but, honestly, how many times have we seen the look you’re suggesting?
    Besides, Drew was always a bit wacky. THANK GOD she’s bringing the fun and the risk back with every public appearance. I will always choose her in those slightly chunky shoes rather than some Sophia Bush in a you-can’t-go-wrong-with-it combo.

David (VOL.2)

22. Sarah April 20, 2009 at 15:55 #

I like the shoes, but I hate the hair and make-up!

23. Rebecca April 21, 2009 at 00:12 #

Hey FC, you should check out Drew’s outfit on the Ellen show yesterday. It was a gorgeous white Oscar de la Renta with little white square appliques. I think it’s on Net a Porter at the moment. Anyway, on the show, she put it up for auction for the Humane Society on Ebay.

24. whitestroke April 21, 2009 at 20:33 #

Everything fails from the neck down. :(
    That was one of the best Elie Saab collections, and that particular dress was one of my favs. It’s one of those cases when a designer makes you love something you’re usually not into. I’m so happy Drew got to wear it, yet so disappointed that she didn’t rock it in the right way. The shoes are completely wrong. She needs those runway shoes, or something like it. That shade of grey is crazy good with that shade of green. The dress is another problem. She could have easily gone with smaller size. The model is way skinnier but the dress looks tighter on her. Drew definitely needed smaller size of the dress. It’d be both shorter and more fitted on her.
    Eh. Makes me so sad. I wanted to be blown away by dresses from this collection.