Runway To Sidewalk – Beyonce Knowles In Balmain

Many regular readers know me so well, but I think I know a lot of you regular commenter’s too.

I will guess some of you: David, T, Leo, Robbie and Whitestroke, will hate this, but Zoe aka drinksupfashion, and maybe Freida Fan will love it.

There is always a great fashion debate when I comes to Beyonce, and I’m sure her wearing this Balmain Crystal-embellished canvas jacket from the Spring 2009 collection, will prove no different.

Rihanna would have worn the studded heels, and ripped jeans with this look, just to force down our throats how ‘fashionable’ and ‘edgy’ she is.

Beyonce wore this jacket when she enjoyed a romantic evening with her husband in New York last night, whilst carrying a Vera Wang bag.

The black cotton blazer has jeweled Seargeant Pepper detailing, a metal and crystal detailing on the collar, shoulders, cuffs and on the front.

What I love are the classic military asymmetrical front closures with heavy jeweled detailing, and of course the sculpted shoulders.

Somethings got me wishing Michael Jackson would have worn this jacket first. It has his name written all over it.

You can buy this extravagant jacket from Net-A-Porter’s US site for $11,410.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source

Share/Save/Bookmark

Kendall Jenner In Oriett Domenech - 2014 Teen Choice Awards

Kendall Jenner In Oriett Domenech – 2014 Teen Choice Awards

Runway To "Sisters on the Road" Press Conference - Shin Min Ah In Balmain

Runway To “Sisters on the Road” Press Conference – Shin Min Ah In Balmain

47 Responses to Runway To Sidewalk – Beyonce Knowles In Balmain

1. zhaib18 April 14, 2009 at 17:34 #

*GASPS*

Bite your tongue!

Rihanna would have done this jackets justice

Beyonce wears it well but Rihanna would have rocked this look.

2. Fashion Critic April 14, 2009 at 17:41 #

LOL.

3. Lara April 14, 2009 at 17:47 #

I LOVE LOVE LOVE. You said it, Rihanna would have over do this outfit, but Beyonce kept it simple.

The jacket is perfect.

4. drew April 14, 2009 at 17:48 #

Beyonce looks awesome i agree… Rihanna would have over done it. Bee lets the jacket be the main foucus of the ensemble

5. Cry April 14, 2009 at 17:50 #

I’d love to have this jacket.. Only yesterday I was thinking who could afford it and rock it right.. Well, Beyoncé does! I love her hairstyle and the way she wears this piece of art.. Thanks FC for these pics..!!

6. kate_ April 14, 2009 at 17:52 #

the jacket is beautiful, and i think she is really great, keeping it simple.
    besos

7. Anonymous April 14, 2009 at 17:52 #

She looks great..she made it the centre piece of the outfit and kept the rest simple…fashioncritic,can I ask you what you think of cassie’s half shaved haircut?

8. Fashion Critic April 14, 2009 at 17:57 #

Anon, I think Cassie ridiculous. It is a cry for attention, and she is trying to be edgy when there is nothing wrong with how she looked in the first place.

Everyone is trying to out do Rihanna, whereas Christian Milian is stuck in 2002, when everyone was trying to do blonde hair beyonce.

9. Lauren April 14, 2009 at 18:08 #

I love this look! Beyonce really does wear this well. I agree that Rihanna would have overdone this. She’s been trying far to hard lately.

10. Freida fan April 14, 2009 at 18:09 #

haha FC Christina Milian needs to change the hair asap! ^

But back to Beyonce. I love it! haha and its because its not so forced. The jacket is a statement piece that if you add too much more to the look it will def look overdone – lke what Rihanna did in with the Alexander Wang jacket. B looks great!

I agree! The jacket is very MJ.

Nicole.

11. Lisa April 14, 2009 at 18:09 #

i LOVE it
    and i think you’re totally right about Rihanna trying too hard
    sure she’s very fashion-forward, but she needs to understand the concept of letting some pieces speak for themselves
    like beyonce did with this jacket
    it’s gorgeous
    i wish i had $11,000 lying around lol

12. kaitlyn April 14, 2009 at 18:16 #

i agree about the rihanna comment. every outfit she wears is an overkill. there is so much going on.. i was wondering when you would comment on that.

love the jacket on beyonce.

13. ~*juDee*~ April 14, 2009 at 18:22 #

have to say the jacket it really to my taste because im not that big a fan of bling-bling, but beyonce does look really good in it….
    i love her choice of shoe

14. WendyB April 14, 2009 at 18:53 #

One can argue that Michael Jackson did actually wear this first and Balmain’s just been biting his old style!

15. Ahot April 14, 2009 at 18:55 #

Finally! Oh wonder! i can´t hate. The look is perfect!!!!
    Hopefully she understand that she needs to keep it simple, it´s what suit her the best.
    I wonder how long she can stay away from the bling bling…

16. Sarah April 14, 2009 at 18:55 #

Love this jacket! I’m usually not a huge fan of Beyonce’s but I love the ease with which she wears this jacket.

Also, I like others, am getting sick of how forced Rhianna is looking these days. It’s starting to get ridiculous.

17. Fashion Critic April 14, 2009 at 18:57 #

LOL, So true WendyB, so true.

18. Fashionista Chick April 14, 2009 at 18:57 #

I think It looks okey on her Nothing Exceptional in here..

19. KAYA April 14, 2009 at 18:59 #

I usually hate when Beyonce tries to hard to be high fashion (see gareth pugh / mcqueen) but she looks decent here.

I think it is more the hair than the outfit, the majority of celebs who wear the shoulder pad trend look ridiculous

20. ber April 14, 2009 at 19:01 #

This jacket would also have fit in with Coldplay’s new look.

21. robbie April 14, 2009 at 19:12 #

FC you are wrong, i actually shockingly like this on her, i prefer that she kept the jacket as the main feature and didnt go OTT with accessories.

i love her shoes!!!!!! any idea who they are by?

i am dying to see if michael wears this jacket on his tour.

22. Fashion Critic April 14, 2009 at 19:17 #

Oh wow, I was so sure you were going to say she was trying to hard LOL :)

23. Sept April 14, 2009 at 19:47 #

So true, Rihanna would have tried too hard, Beyonce’ kills in this!

24. Paris April 14, 2009 at 20:11 #

FC, I LOVE YOU FOR THIS POST! LOL SO VERY TRUE! RIHANNA SEEMS TO BE TRYING SOO HARD THESE DAYS. WHAT HAPPENED TO HER STYLIST??
    I LOVE LOVE THAT JACKET. BALMIAN IS HOT STUFF AND REALLY DOES NOT NEED TO BE OVERDONE BECAUSE THE JACKETS ARE EDGY ENOUGH ALREADY.

25. amber April 14, 2009 at 20:55 #

I think jimmy hendrix actually rocked the style first

26. Lo April 14, 2009 at 20:57 #

ahhhh
    if people are trying to out do rihanna, that didn’t she do it first?!

her style IS edgy, she isn’t anything she’s not.
    god if posh spice wore the same thing as rihanna who you love it. rihanna wouldn’t over-do it, she would make it interesting.

27. ksi-liv April 14, 2009 at 21:02 #

love this look. Beyonce wears the jacket so efforlessly… I guess that if Rihanna wore this jacket, we wouldn’t be so surprised – we saw her in almost the same outfits from the same designer. so I repeat, I love this look)

28. Fashion Critic April 14, 2009 at 21:04 #

My comment is the same as before.

I admire Rihanna. She is probably the second most written about celeb after Victoria Beckham, but she has been overdoing it lately. Look at the comments on this post, and her Louboutin post on her below. I am not the only one to think she is trying too hard.

29. Fashion Critic April 14, 2009 at 21:06 #

LOL Amber. Nice one. :)

30. Anonymous April 14, 2009 at 21:51 #

Dear FC, you nailed it (and got me giggling)! :> I'm pleasantly surprised you knew what I was going to say. Guess you remembered I was bitchin' about all these Balmainistas that came out of nowhere!
    Unfortunately, you were right: I HATE her for being such an obedient follower. Now, when it's completely assured Balmain is hip, Beyonce decided to show how fashion-forward she is! Well, she is actually quite the opposite: Mrs. Jay-Z is a true fashion coward.
    Nonetheless, your remark about Michael Jackson was hilarious – and SO TRUE. Now that we know he can rock Balmain, he should try one of those jackets. It wouldn't be the first time for him! :)
    Have a nice eve, everyone!

David

31. Raquel April 14, 2009 at 22:09 #

Forget Michale Jackson, Jimmi Hendrix, that the black version of Sgt Peppers’ jackets, lol.

Love this. Very laid back and the dark jeans and heels work really well. It’s a chuncky jacket, but she wears in in a very feminine way.

32. Kris April 14, 2009 at 22:43 #

I think Balmain is the wrong kind of look for Beyonce because Balmain is glamorous with an edge and Beyonce is all drag-sparkle-trend-hag. She’s quite terrible and I hate seeing such a great Balmain piece on her person.

33. Ja April 14, 2009 at 23:03 #

Who cares if Beyonce is ‘terrible’ (is it really that serious?). She looks hot here. I’m so jealous of this jacket. I want one!

34. zoe aka drinkupthefashion April 15, 2009 at 00:46 #

ohmygoshh! i'm so honored to even be mentioned in your post. you're such a talented blogger, it's just amazing to be noticed by you. ok…enough gushing. you're so right though! i LOVE this! beyonce is so rocking this look. <3333

i too wish michael would have worn this first. actually when you had that post of MJ wearing balmain i expected to see a picture of him in this jacket. i still hope he wears it regardless.

35. leo April 15, 2009 at 04:01 #

You’ll be surprised to know I don’t had Beyoncé on this. I’m surprised to say I like the jacket on her. Like you said, she did not overdress it, something she is so used to doing, and that some people would while wearing this.

I think this adds just the right touch of cool to her.

36. songzyuuup April 15, 2009 at 15:14 #

I love the jacket, but it just continues to prove my speculation that Rihanna’s edgy fashion forward choices have shaken Beyonce up a bit. Rihanna is the reason Beyonce is trying so hard to seek out designers like Gareth Pugh and make a big deal over Thierry Mugler designing her tour wardrobe. Rihanna’s been wearing Balmain pieces ever since she stepped back into the spotlight — post Chris Brown. Now, suddenly, Beyonce steps out in an $11,000 Balmain jacket? Things that make you go HMMMM. Either way, she looks gorgeous. I just wish she wouldn’t feel the need to play catch up.

37. patti April 15, 2009 at 17:44 #

i usually don’t like beyonce’s style, but this balmain fits her perfectley. i don’t like the rest of her outfit, because it’s too safe. but yeah, you shouldn’t over do it. especially with this jacket. i actually hate rihanna’s style. it’s just too much !

38. Anonymous April 15, 2009 at 18:34 #

Oh please, Rihanna just does what Rihanna does – that’s her fashion personality. She’s not trying to be what she isn’t.

I have more issue with B. trying to make out she’s always been ‘edgy’.

As it is, B. looks great. That’s how she chooses to wear this jacket.

I agree with one of the above posters. I’d say Rihanna’s dress isn’t just shaking up B. but a lot of similar artists. I don’t recall any of them trying to stick their toe out fashionwise – except maybe Eve – before all of this. Now it’s just getting silly the way all of them are trying to go one better than the last.

39. whitestroke April 16, 2009 at 19:44 #

Being mentioned in your blog is becoming more and more of a privilege, as your blog grows to be more and more important. ;)

I kinda don’t mind this. (The emphasis is on KINDA. The DON’T MIND instead of LIKE speaks for itself.) Probably because I associate Beyonce with rodiculous, so it suits her. LOL Those jackets were actually the only things I sort of liked from that collection. But not so much that one. My fav one was the denim one on Kim Noorda.

But then again, there are of course things I don’t like about it, too. First, as opposed to everyone else I think she slightly DID overdo it, with the bag. It looks like Vera Wang Spring 2009. I loved bags from that collection, but they’re a bit of a ‘statement piece’ themselves. Considering it’s a street, not a red carpet, both the jacket AND that bag is a bit too much. And secondly, just one more celebrity jumping on the same bandwagon. She’s such a follower, I agree with David. And I don’t think Rihanna is fashion forward AT ALL. There’s nothing fashion forward about following trends blindly, trying too hard and wearing currently in labels just like everyone else. Balmain and Alexander Wang are literally like a uniform these days.

40. Fashion Critic April 16, 2009 at 19:53 #

LOL, I like your no committal response.

Oh and thanks for the bag id and the compliment. :)

41. songzyuuup April 17, 2009 at 05:16 #

I agree with your comment whitestroke, but Balmain is not a bandwagon in Pop music/Contemporary R&B. Regardless of if it's "old news" or "been there done that", it's fresh for the Rihannas, Beyonces, etc. Among her musical peers, Rihanna is stepping out in designers that no one else would dare to. Now, Ciara has hired Rihanna's stylist. And as I said in my previous comment, Rih's been wearing Balmain the past few weeks, and now Beyonce steps out in a showstopping Balmain jacket? I guess I just see it differently. Rihanna's shaken up all these chicks.

42. Lala April 17, 2009 at 18:40 #

I would have sworn on my life I wrote this post if I wasn’t sitting here reading it!!! We share the same opinion for almost ALL your posts!!!
    “I personally love it, she wears it well, and most importantly she doesn’t try to over dress it like Rihanna would.

…”

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS WAS THINKING!!! EXACTLY!!!

43. Lala April 17, 2009 at 18:46 #

The Rihanna fans on here are starting to sound like the Beyonce fans- “Oh, She copied Beyonce”, now “Oh, she copied Rihanna”. Give us a f-in break, all of you!!! It’s Hollywood, nothing is new, no one is original, it’s all recycled!!! She wearing Balmain along with Rihanna, and THE REST OF HOLLYWOOD, doesn’t mean they’re all copying Rihanna. It just means they are seeking the same designers, it’s what’s HOT! Lindsay was the first to rock a Balmain jacket (as far as I can remember). Does that mean Rihanna copied her? No it doesn’t! It means Balmain is in for Spring! Everyone knows that Rihanna’s look is contrived, overkill, and very forced already, it’s nothing new! Get over yourselves, please!

44. Fashion Critic April 17, 2009 at 18:49 #

Lala, your first comment actually made me laugh loud.

45. Lala S-R April 18, 2009 at 05:25 #

LOL. I kid you not though. It’s EXACTLY what I was thinking. haha

=)

46. Lala S-R April 18, 2009 at 05:31 #

If I remember correctly, that SAME stylist has worked with Christina Milian, Jada P. Smith, and a bunch of other celebs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before working with Rihanna. Correct me if I’m wrong. The constant Rihanna v. Beyonce battle has been overkilled! It’s getting old. It’s like it’s the only the thing that keeps Black kids/teens going these days!

47. Lala S-R April 18, 2009 at 05:32 #

Please pardon my typos, and bad grammar.