13.04.09

Vogue US May 2009: Faces of the Moment

It’s that time again, when we all get excited to see who Vogue US deem to be one of the Faces of the Moment. This issue is usually a collectors item.

The girls who made this epic issue are: (from left to right)

Liya Kebede, Natalia Vodianova, Anna Jagodzinska, Isabeli Fontana, Lara Stone, Jourdan Dunn, Raquel Zimmermann, Caroline Trentini and Natasha Poly.

The cover was shot by Steven Meisel, who is featured in a special article about his lasting influence on the world of modelling.

Everyone deserves to be on this cover, but I must say I’m distraught that Lakshmi Menon didn’t make it, she’s had a phenomenal year.

Source

Rachel Pally Luncheon

Rachel Pally Luncheon

In Amanda Seyfried & Carla Gugino's Closet - Jimmy Choo Samoa Kid Sandals

In Amanda Seyfried & Carla Gugino’s Closet – Jimmy Choo Samoa Kid Sandals

23 Responses to Vogue US May 2009: Faces of the Moment

1. Anonymous April 13, 2009 at 13:15 #

SO RIGHT about Lakshmi Menon. Don’t you think Anna Selezneva (opened Balmain last two seasons, done the Calvin Klein spring ads, graced the covers of Vogue Italia, Vogue Paris, Vogue Russia and Vogue Nippon) should’ve been there?

David

2. Fashion Critic April 13, 2009 at 13:18 #

Oh yes. I guess the list could go on forever.

3. Fats April 13, 2009 at 13:52 #

Natalia again?? Why??

I did not get it!

She shouldn’t been there.

4. Vera April 13, 2009 at 13:56 #

Liya Kebede?

Who is she?

Lara Stone really needs to go to the dentist.

5. Anonymous April 13, 2009 at 14:20 #

Vera??! Are you serious???!! Liya Kebede is one of the world's greatest black models. She walked for literally every major design house since she started as a Gucci exclusive in 2000. In 2002, an entire issue of Vogue Paris was dedicated to her, she graced one of the four covers of Vogue Italia's now-famous all Black issue, and this is certainly not the first cover she's done for US Vogue. Most recently, she opened the highly influential Balenciaga show and walked for Givenchy, which is possibly the hottest show during the Paris Fashion Week. Besides, Liya has her own ANTI-HIV foundation, which is very successful.
    I hope that will do. For more information, visit models.com, or style.com, or… Oh, you'll find her everywhere, she has been famous looong before Chanel Iman got her first heels! :>

6. Anonymous April 13, 2009 at 14:26 #

Liya Kebede, Natalia Vodianova and Isabeli Fontana have been around for several years now, I always thought this issue was for new, up-and-coming models.
    Raquel Zimmermann and Caroline Trentini were on last years issue.
    The rest deserved it.

7. Fashion Critic April 13, 2009 at 14:29 #

Anon 14:26.

I also thought it was for up-and-coming models, but ‘Face of the Moment’ I now interpret as those who have made an impact over the last 12 months. Which is why Lakshmi Menon SHOULD be on this cover *crys*

8. FelipeA April 13, 2009 at 14:34 #

I love all those girls, except for Anna, but i think we cn all agree that is not them looking their best. it looks like a collage of mediocre pictures. A cheap knock-off of the september 04 cover. the cover would’ve looked so great if it was similar to the Prada spring campaign

9. Sugarshock April 13, 2009 at 14:38 #

Where’s Arlenis Sosa? More than half of these models have been very visible for the last couple of years. Would have been nice to put the up-and-comer on the cover. But Vogue is nothing if not safe…

10. Vera April 13, 2009 at 14:46 #

Well, in early 2000 I was a ten year old girl)

Meanwhile I’m reading VOGUE, etc. since 2005 and I rally have not heard about Liya.

And how long have past since her latest VOGUE/ELLE photoshoot and ad company?

11. Fashion Critic April 13, 2009 at 14:48 #

OMG, SugarShock you are so right.

I can’t believe she didn’t make this cover also.

I would take out Natalia for Arlenis.

12. Anonymous April 13, 2009 at 14:55 #

This is the most perplexing casting ever. There is no way Anna Jagodzinska deserved to be on the cover. And half of the girls there are by no means faces of the moment.

T

13. Anonymous April 13, 2009 at 15:08 #

Vera, it wasn’t my intention to accuse you. I was just honestly surprised you didn’t know her, that’s all.
    As I’ve said, she’s quite a worker. For example, take a look at the February issue of US Vogue -she is featured in several photoshoots. As for AD CAMPAIGNS – I believe that’s what you wanted to say, and not “ad company” – together with Raquel, she was the face of Lanvin last fall.

David

14. Ling April 13, 2009 at 15:13 #

I admit that I don’t really know who a lot of models are, but the ones who stand out for me are Liya Kebede and Jourdan Dunn. The others look the same, I have no idea who any of them are! (and the model on the right of Jourdan looks like Cat Deeley!)

15. wi April 13, 2009 at 15:21 #

MMMM NATASHA POLY!
    LOVELOVELOVELOVE HER!
    It’s no surprise she’s included.

16. Eva April 13, 2009 at 16:00 #

Hi, I think all these magnificent girls do not look their best because of the HEAVY PHOTOSHOPPING that is now the rule in Vogue U.S. This same shoot for Vogue Paris or Spain would have looked so much different. All that blush, contouring and strategically placed shinies are so upsetting… Not to mentioned the standart hairstyle on all of them.

Kisses from Madrid.

17. Danielle April 13, 2009 at 16:28 #

Eva, you make a very interesting point about Vogue US. I bought Vogue Paris last month (all Chanel issue) and I noticed how American Vogue looks kind of dull in comparison.

18. cry April 13, 2009 at 18:18 #

I think this picture (http://www.style.com/images/vogue/feature/2009_May_Steven_Meisel/main_pict.jpg)places the right value to all the most important models!!

19. Rock*Star April 13, 2009 at 18:46 #

I SOOO agree abt Lakshmi Menon. Her dazed&confused cover was phenomenon!

& wow! Jordan looks BEAUTIFUL. Love that girl:*

20. Kris April 13, 2009 at 19:28 #

I’ve been reading, or rather studying, US Vogue since around the sixth grade and quite frankly I’ve seen no major changes in that time span which is just so absurd.
    Truth be told, I haven’t even bothered to buy US Vogue this past year because it’s a waste of money and time (I flip through it on occasion if a friend has it) because it’s absolutely boring and yes, dull, and this issue is a great example of how safe and un fashion-forward this , surprise, fashion magazine is.
    US Vogue needs to be resurrected! Such an embarrassment–this cover is oh so poorly cast.

21. Kohl Girl April 13, 2009 at 23:08 #

So sad that Lakshmi is not on here!

22. vasudea April 14, 2009 at 00:00 #

Lakshmi was truly robbed…shes had a fabulous year…

23. whitestroke April 16, 2009 at 17:40 #

Anna, Lara, Jourdan and Natasha belong on the cover. Others don’t.