07.04.09 Interview

My Interview With Jason Wu

When I was invited by Net-A-Porter to view Jason Wu’s Fall 2009 collection, I was honoured to have a one-on-one with the 26 year old designer.

As I introduced myself, Jason told me that he loved my blog. Surely he doesn’t have time to read blogs, when he’s dressing the First Lady, and producing collections.

He told me that a friend had forwarded the link of Katie Holmes wearing his Fall 2009 strapless dress, after he had trouble finding a full-length picture.

I was curious to know what had inspired Jason’s Fall 2009 collection. “Arthur Rackham; (think Alice in Wonderland and Tinkerbell) this is because his illustrations were very whimsical and fairytale like, yet mature and diverse”.

After Jason’s Fall 2009 presentation, some journalists had said Jason was deliberately moving away from his uptown aesthetic. “It wasn’t deliberate,” he said “but a natural progression. As I grow as a designer, so do my collections. If I kept to the same formula, I wouldn’t be challenging myself as a designer. But I’m a girlie girl designer, that will never change.”

I asked Jason which season he prefers to design for. “I find myself producing collections that are almost seasonless. When my Fall 2009 collection arrives at Net-A-Porter in August, customers will want to wear the clothes now. So I’m mindful of this when I design, producing pieces in a mix of fabrics.”

When I asked Jason who was his muse, I was expecting him to say an actress or old Hollywood legend, but he said “Chanel Iman. She’ such a sweetheart. She’s very elegant and tall. I also love Jourdan Dunn, and Karlie Kloss”.

With celebrities forming alliances with designers, I asked him how he felt about giving/loaning celebrities his clothes. “When it’s right, it’s right. I don’t feel the need to do this in order to promote the brand. Once a celebrity is loaned a dress, that dress will not be loaned out to anyone else”.

So we shouldn’t expect to see any celebs on my Who Wore It Better? polls I asked him. “Not unless the other person has brought it,” he laughed.

I didn’t want to spend the whole interview talking about Michelle Obama, but I had to get one question in, so I asked him how felt when he saw Michelle wearing his dress at the inauguration ball.

“I was amazed and awestruck. I had no idea. I found out with everyone else. It was the same with the Vogue cover.”

“She’s an amazing woman, and it’s fantastic that she’s the first First Lady to have supported new designers the way she does.”

The floor-length, one-of-a-kind ivory silk chiffon dress with organza flowers and Swarovski crystal rhinestones, is at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington. Jason has no plans to recreate the dress.

Jason Wu is now available on Net-A-Porter.com, but this is a partnership that had been in the works for a while. Net-A-Porter.com is known for adding new designers to their roster of international brands often, so they aren’t trying to jump on any bandwagon.

Check out Jason Wu’s current collection at Net-A-Porter.com.

Source & Source

Runway To Sidewalk - Victoria Beckham In Balmain

Runway To Sidewalk – Victoria Beckham In Balmain

Who Wore Dolce & Gabbana Better? January Jones or Marisa Miller

Who Wore Dolce & Gabbana Better? January Jones or Marisa Miller

21 Responses to My Interview With Jason Wu

1. 00o00 April 7, 2009 at 23:15 #

amazing post, amazing designer
    i love your blog!

2. zoe aka drinkupthefashion April 7, 2009 at 23:23 #

wowww! you got to interview jason wu. that is so amazing. i really enjoyed his latest collection for fall 2009. he has such amazing talents, kudos to him :D

and i’m so happy that he said chanel iman is his muse! i absolutely love chanel. sigh…i wish i could be tall as well :D jourdan dunn is also another fave of mine, and karlie kloss has grown on me :)

3. Liberian Girl April 7, 2009 at 23:27 #

wow, I am speechless. what a wonderful opportunity! I love Jason Wu collections and what a honor for you to interview him.

By the way you look fabulous as always.

4. Fashion Critic April 7, 2009 at 23:43 #

Thanks guys. I was so nervous at first, but he is such a sweet down-to-earth guy, that we were chatting like old friends by the end of our meeting.

5. Meg April 8, 2009 at 00:31 #

Go you! :)
    Nice interview and I was pleasantly surprised that Chanel Iman is his muse. She’s been my favorite model for a while and I think she is very underrated.

6. carrie @ bloomacious.com April 8, 2009 at 02:57 #

nice job lady! congrats on the good get.

7. heather ♥ April 8, 2009 at 05:40 #

amazing interview! you asked such great questions! he’s such a great designer, and such an inspiration at only 26! so talented!

8. Freida fan April 8, 2009 at 06:19 #

aww yay FC! great interview skills as well!
    I really think he is a great young designer. I am in love with the Micropleated dress on net-porter!

Nicole

9. Lily April 8, 2009 at 08:00 #

I really love this interview- but I have to ask one thing: Is Jason Wu really that small as he looks on the pictures? Or are you just very tall? :)

10. Fashion Critic April 8, 2009 at 08:46 #

Lily, I am 5ft 11in, taller in heels, so everyone is short to me. LOL

11. Anonymous April 8, 2009 at 08:56 #

You look great FC, love the top you’re wearing! :)

12. Fashion Critic April 8, 2009 at 09:13 #

thanks. It’s from Zara

13. SxyFashionQueen April 8, 2009 at 10:05 #

Congratulations!!! Hope you’ll bring us the next interview done by you very soon.

14. Fashion Critic April 8, 2009 at 10:38 #

Hopefully soon. Fingers crossed

15. robbie April 8, 2009 at 13:59 #

great interview, he seems like such a great guy. his designs are fantastic.

im seriously jealous of you.

you and jason look so cute together. still shocked at how tall you are though wow. love your top.

16. Tamia April 8, 2009 at 18:24 #

Great interview as always,and Im sorry but how gorgeous are you fashioncritic?you seem to have model proportions and wonderful bone structure. I also always admire your personal style when we do get a glimpse of you, that’s a beautiful top you are wearing.

17. Fashion Critic April 8, 2009 at 18:28 #

Thanks Tamia. *blushes*

So very kind for you to say those sweet things.

18. Irie Diva April 8, 2009 at 21:22 #

way to go critic! loved this one

19. whitestroke April 15, 2009 at 16:19 #

I’m not even jealous, as much as I’m so happy for you, that you got to interview Jason and even see his new collection up close and personal. I love his stuff, I even liked his Spring collection very much, that was sadly completely unnoticed before the whole Michelle Obama hype. So nice to see him getting much deserved recognition.

He reads your blog? OMG! I think we’ll all have to think before we post comments here from now on. Who knows what other designers/celebrities are checking it, too. I hope I didn’t say anything stupid in here and embarrass myself in front of such important people. ;)

20. Fashion Critic April 15, 2009 at 16:24 #

LOL, I hope you will continue to give your honest opinions. It’s what I love about reading your comments.

21. whitestroke April 15, 2009 at 16:41 #

Ha! Thanks a lot, FC. It’s the only way I know how.

That’s what I love about your blog, too. All the other fashion blogs are either way too mean (criticizing harshly even when they don’t have to, just to make themselves sound relevant!) or kissing everybody’s ass.