03.04.09

Michelle Obama Wears Azzedine Alaia

President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama arrived for a cultural event during the NATO summit in Baden-Baden this evening.

Michelle Obama has embraced many designer this week. Tonight she wore a classic black Azzedine Alaia dress, with a ruffled skirt which had a tulle underlay.

The heels have gone up a few inches, which I’m thankful for, because flats or kitten heels wouldn”t have looked as elegant with this dress.

Before covering up with a cropped cardigan, she exposed her arms, which for some reason has caused great debate in the past.

I’m hoping you guys will like this look, because the overall feeling is that you have been disappointed by her this week.

Carla Bruni-Sarkozy was also at this event. She was wearing a custom-made Christian Dior Fall 2009 sheath dress.

The dress shares the same embroidered detail, as a jacket which appeared on the runway.

The Dior flats again, kill this look for me.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source

Share/Save/Bookmark

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

Runway To Red Carpet - End Of The Week Round Up

Runway To Red Carpet – End Of The Week Round Up

28 Responses to Michelle Obama Wears Azzedine Alaia

1. robbier April 3, 2009 at 22:02 #

hmm michelle looks great, but she could have added some colour. but it may just be the angle of her foot but the heels look higher than usual.

carla, boring she always ruins great looks with bloody falts.

2. Sara April 3, 2009 at 22:09 #

I like Obama’s look but Carla’s dress wins for me.

3. nisha April 3, 2009 at 22:13 #

wow michelle looks great in this dress i love how it makes here look younger.it really suits her.i loved what michelle has been wearing all week she definately has a good choice that is always right for the occasion.as the first lady she needs to be sophistacated and michelle always does but the best part is she adds also looks stylish and fashinable.she is by far th best dressed first lady in my opinion.i really hate the fact she is being critisised about her arms i think its great and people should apprecitae her courage.she’s such a great role model for women and her and barrack make a great couple.thanks for posting

4. Anonymous April 3, 2009 at 22:47 #

I love Michelle’s dress (and hair). Carla is a classic dresser, but Michelle has pizzazz and style. I haven’t been disappointed with Michelle at all this week! I love that you feature her on your blog.

5. Anonymous April 3, 2009 at 23:18 #

I think Michelle looks great. Low heels would have ruined the look… I love Carla’s dress but her flats ruin it for me too. If only she had worn taller shoes! I wonder why she likes to wear flats so much.

It’s interesting that you follow Michelle on your blog but perhaps you could start following Carla too. The two of them are constantly compared to Jackie O and it would be kind of fun seeing how the fashionable retired supermodel dresses!

6. Anonymous April 3, 2009 at 23:20 #

I just posted… I realized that you DO follow Carla on your blog! Awesome!!!! *squeals in delight*

I have to say, I really enjoy your blog.

7. Dana April 3, 2009 at 23:32 #

Mrs Obama is a stunning woman with fantastic fashion sense.

She shows that you can be classy without being old-fashioned or boring. She’s perfect!

8. zoe aka drinkupthefashion April 3, 2009 at 23:35 #

i have been nothing but impressed with michelle obama’s style choices. the people who are dissapointed should keep their comments to themselves–it is extremely difficult to dress well for so many events when you’re in the public eye. there are so many choices that she could choose from, but she always manages to make a look classic and chic.

9. Nicolas April 4, 2009 at 00:02 #

carla wears flats because she will taller than her husband if she wears heels!

10. robbie April 4, 2009 at 00:03 #

@ zoe, so you mean anyone who disagress with someone looking good, shouldnt be able to say what they think about it.

11. tweed April 4, 2009 at 00:04 #

i agree with zoe. i also like that she didn’t add color. too obvious a choice and adding color to alaia sometimes ends up looking comical. both ladies don’t try too hard which is great!

12. heather ♥ April 4, 2009 at 00:27 #

i’ve been loving Michelle Obama this week! She’s in all black here, but I think its still a stunning look, very elegant! and I think she still stands out! the Alaia dress is beautiful on her… and she’s been VERY colourful this week with her wardrobe, lots of colours and patterns, so this all black ensemble is not at all disappointing for me.. i love.

13. Parvati April 4, 2009 at 00:48 #

Wow, I love this look on Michelle Obama!
    And I don’t mind the flats on Carla Bruni, but I think her dress is boring, anyway – shame, it being Dior. Michelle Obama was by far the best dressed of the two.

14. Nik April 4, 2009 at 01:20 #

I loove the detailing of that alaia dress…I wonder how it stays so poofy.

15. carrie @ bloomacious April 4, 2009 at 01:33 #

I thought Michelle looked fabulous this week – she expressed her own style and represented the US well I thought. I love Carla Bruni as well.

16. MatteaAM April 4, 2009 at 09:29 #

i was anything but disappointed with Michelle…i love how she dresses so much different than all other first ladies…i love her style…and samo goes to carla bruni…they both are so different tahn others, and i love it…
    xD

17. Fashion Critic April 4, 2009 at 10:42 #

Phew, I’m glad to hear that there are many of you who do like her style.

I think the problem was the cardigans. I personally prefer cardigans to suits.

Nik, it’s the tulle under the skirt.

18. Letitia April 4, 2009 at 12:28 #

I absolutely love Michelle.. Here she looks graceful & sophisticated but not drab! The dress is soo pretty.. Carla needs to wear some heels damn it! Forget your husbands ego issues lol

19. Yoga April 4, 2009 at 13:58 #

Love Love Love Michelle!!! That dress is so nice!!
    Carla? her style has become so boring!

20. Sarah April 4, 2009 at 16:20 #

FC I totally agree with you on the cardigans. Suits are okay sometimes, but women in the political arena seem to wear them to death!

I’ve loved everything about Michelle’s style this week! She’s made some great choices! (Remember, she’s not on the red carpet, it’s a diplomatic trip)

Thanks for covering all this FC, I am absolutely addicted to your blog and look forward to your posts!

21. Raquel April 5, 2009 at 01:22 #

I love the Obamas, I love what they do represent, but yes, I’ve been disappointed with Michelle.

Personally, it’s the cardigan look. I don’t mind cardigans, but they’ve become a boring trademark and in my own very humble opinion, they were not appropriated for half of the events she attended in this diplomatic trip, which required in itself a certain formality I don’t think she managed to achieve with the cardigan look.

This event, for example. Why a cardigan? Why not a nice shawl, a lovely pashmina, something more sophisticated? It doesn’t have to be a suit.

I love this dress and the heels are welcome. I also love Carla and I think she can pull off the no heels look perfectly.

22. SydneyCheapChic April 5, 2009 at 02:32 #

I agree with robbie.. this is a fashion blog, if we have something to say fashion related it should be okay… in fact it should be welcomed! There is nothing more boring than everyone agreeing to agree.. especially about fashion!!!!

23. Nicolas April 5, 2009 at 06:08 #

u made it on dolce&gabbanas magazine fashion website!

congrats!

24. Fashion Critic April 5, 2009 at 10:56 #

OMG OMG OMG OMG :0

Thank you so so so so much Nicolas. I wouldn’t have spotted that if it weren’t for you.

That is pretty fantastic, if I do say so myself.

I’m really happy and proud about that. It really put a cherry on my sundae. ;)

25. Fashion Critic April 5, 2009 at 11:38 #

Hi Sarah. I love Michelle, so featuring her is my pleasure. I’m always interested to see what she wears next.

I think if she had worn suits all the time she would have ended up looking as stuff as Hilary Clinton, and no one wants that. :)

26. leo April 5, 2009 at 18:46 #

Like someone said, Carla wears flats so she isn’t like a tower over her husband. In the world of politics, the clothes don’t have only to look good, but also there’s some kind of protocol that goes with it, and that’s why Michelle’s bare arms comes to discussion so many times.

So, considering how appropriate she dresses, I think Carla does an amazing job, she’s very french, very chic. Her Dior wardobre is just fantastic. I love the detailing in her dress.

Michelle is wearing not so high heels for the same reason, I think the shoes here are not higher it’s just the angle. Both looked good, but I personally preffer Carla.

Haven’t had much time to comment here, but I’ve been here everyday almost, and you’re blog is only gettin’ better. Congrats!

27. Fashion Critic April 5, 2009 at 18:50 #

Thanks Leo. :)

So kind of you to say so.

28. Georgia Maude April 7, 2009 at 18:50 #

You know what–these First Women are now the ones who make the rules–why should they have to follow any prior notions of appropriateness? This is what is so vexing about all the criticism of Michelle Obama–as First Lady, isn’t she expected to set the tone rather than toe the line? All of the carping over the baring of her arms smacks of an alarming discomfort with a black woman rewriting the rules, but guess what? That’s exactly what she’s doing. As a black American woman, I am thrilled at the ruckus she’s causing.