02.04.09 In Her Closet

Michelle Obama Visits The Royal Opera House Wearing Junya Watanabe & Jason Wu

Another day, another great look, and another reason to marvel at Michelle Obama.

A lot of you have been quite miffed at the many cardigan’s that Michelle has been wearing on this European trip, but I loved the J.Crew, and I love this diamond knit, sequin embellished Junya Watanabe cardigan even more.

At first I thought Mrs O had missed a button, but that’s just the asymmetrical style of the cardigan.

Junya Watanabe is an edgy Japanese designer who started off at Comme des Garçons. He creates Avant-garde pieces, so I was quite surprised – even though it’s just a cardigan – that Michelle knew of this designer.

The cardigan which Michelle wore with a teal Jason Wu dress, is available on FarFetch.com for £644/€667/$959.

This is the third time Michelle has worn Jason Wu on this trip. What a great achievement for the young designer.

Get the cardi before it goes. You know what happened last time.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source

Runway To Vogue Germany Photo Shoot - Heidi Klum In Atelier Versace

Runway To Vogue Germany Photo Shoot – Heidi Klum In Atelier Versace

Topshop/Topman VIP Dinner

Topshop/Topman VIP Dinner

27 Responses to Michelle Obama Visits The Royal Opera House Wearing Junya Watanabe & Jason Wu

1. Paris Pastry April 2, 2009 at 16:44 #

Work it girl!!! Never thought a First Lady would wear such a cardigan!

2. amy b.s. April 2, 2009 at 17:11 #

okay, i have to agree. i think the j. crew is awesome. it looks great on her. she pulls it off without looking over or under dressed and i really think it puts her on a level that we can all relate to. plus, it’s her style, so good for her for not feeling like she has to change something just to make other people more comfortable.

3. Anonymous April 2, 2009 at 17:19 #

Am I the only one who finds that cardigan hidious. I like the dress and shoes though.

T

4. fashionist April 2, 2009 at 17:38 #

I hate the cardi but not as much as I hate the giant bulge in Mrs B’s belly. Buy a bigger suit woman!

5. Raquel April 2, 2009 at 17:51 #

Another cardigan???!!

Okay, it’s official, I bored, outraged and enraged with that cardiogan look. See every occasion demands the proper attire and if a cardigan is appropriated to an “informal” visit to the Royal Opera, then it’s not appropriated for meeting Gordon Brown and the Queen. It’s simple like that.

And this cardigna is particularly ugly and the assymetrical hem doesn’t work with the dress.

6. amy April 2, 2009 at 18:19 #

Yes. The cardigan is ugly!! What the *** was she thinking? She looks way weird

7. Ling April 2, 2009 at 18:22 #

I don’t particularly like the cardigan either – I get that it’s supposed to be edgy and “cool” and young or whatever, but Michelle doesn’t need to wear pieces like that, she has her own elegant style! I’d prefer to see the dress on its own.

8. Nikki April 2, 2009 at 18:24 #

The cardigan is working for her…it looks weird. Actually not a fan. And her shoes, they don’t go with her outfit.

I really loved the JCrew cardigan and skirt she wore though. Much much better than this.

9. robbie April 2, 2009 at 18:45 #

i love michelle with a passion, she is style icon but this is UGLY, the dress and shoes are perfect but that cardigan looks like someone threw it around the room, attacked it with scissors and then stepped on it.

the j crew cardigan was much nicer.

10. Fashion Critic April 2, 2009 at 18:50 #

looks like I am alone.

I really like the cardi

11. Sebastián April 2, 2009 at 18:56 #

She looks so so boring

12. peppersoup April 2, 2009 at 20:09 #

Wow, a First lady in Watanabe. Kudos Mrs. Obama.

13. Ling April 2, 2009 at 20:12 #

Michelle also visited a school in London wearing the same outfit (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7980012.stm) – in that context, I think the cardi is actually quite appropriate, it seems to look better on her in the video rather than in photos!

14. Anonymous April 2, 2009 at 20:35 #

The cardigan is hideous, ill-fitting, and inappropriate for the occasion. Look at the beautiful sari the women standing next to her is wearing. Then Ms. Obama looks like she raided a teenager’s closet and stole a cardigan out of it, but didn’t button it properly or check herself out in the mirror before she ran out! The skirt is alright as are the shoes (didn’t she wear those to the inauguration?) but the cardigan is just plain bad.

15. Rebecca April 2, 2009 at 21:54 #

I like this cardi! And I love that she wears cardis instead of a blazer. It’s a much softer look.

16. Sarah April 2, 2009 at 23:18 #

I don’t think the cardigan is as bad as the skirt really…
    I usually love Michelle, but I think that skirt is really unfortunate looking on her frame!

17. robbie April 2, 2009 at 23:36 #

the more i see this cardigan the more i slowly like it, i love the half check and half plain look with the sequins. but the cut is all wrong though i think if she buttoned it up fully it wouldnt have looked so bad.

18. me not you April 3, 2009 at 07:20 #

She is trying WAAAAAAAY to hard to prove shes the new young hip first lady. She should first take the stick out of her bum.That is a major fashion nono. Next STOP BITING JACKIE O’s Style! Shes either trying to hard to be young or biting Jackie o. How anyone in fashion called her the next it whatever or anykind of fashion maven is so way beyond me itis in another galaxy!

19. Anonymous April 3, 2009 at 08:23 #

I know love is blind but this over-the-top adoration for Michelle Obama is getting a bit out of hand. The cardigan is interesting but it fits her hideously. She looks huge in this ensemble although she has a great body. These huge skirts are doing her no favors. Simple fitted dresses look the best on her.
    Gurcharan Kaur(Indian PM’s wife) looks elegant in her saree.

20. shoeaholic April 3, 2009 at 09:25 #

I don’t like the cardi either, but I think she wears it well.
    On the subject of Michelle wearing too many cardigans – I beg to differ. They look classy on her, and she pairs them well to make gorgeous outfits!

21. OnCloud9 April 3, 2009 at 13:37 #

while the color of the dress is great the fit is terrible…it makes her look so much wider than she is…
    and i dont like the cardi either

22. DM April 3, 2009 at 15:58 #

BLAH! BORING! What is with all these casual cardigans she’s wearing to meetings with world leaders and major events???!!!

How utterly disappointing our First Lady is in representing our country’s style…

23. Parvati April 3, 2009 at 22:39 #

Maybe a cardigan isn’t the most appropriate piece of clothes for such meetings, but this one is very nice and original and Michelle Obama really pulls it off. And its colours look so good with her dress.

24. tweed April 4, 2009 at 00:00 #

me not you – that’s harsh. just because she practices a sense of propriety in the way she dresses doesn’t mean she’s ripping off jackie o. far from it, but that’s your opinion. i like this look. she’s known for being more accessible – and i think she’s successful in that area whether you think it’s boring or not.

25. isobel April 5, 2009 at 07:45 #

she looks frumpy to me. she needs to find outfits that flatter her figure.

26. whitestroke April 14, 2009 at 20:23 #

Well, I loved this. My fav look of hers at that entire European tour. Adorable dress, very cool and yet cute cardi. Even the shoes work here. Love the colors. I prefer her version over the purple one. It’s so amazing to see her wearing something so avant-garde and quirky.

Yes, the dress makes her appear slightly wider in hips. That’s what a full skirt should DO. Not dressed appropriately for the occasion? It’s not like she wore denim shorts and thigh-high boots.

27. Jan March 13, 2011 at 01:03 #

This is one of the ugliest outfits I have seen. It looks like something someone sewed out of a bunch of fabric remnants.