24.03.09

2009 Asian Film Awards

Best Actress winner, Zhou Xun shows off her award, wearing stunning costume-made Burberry Prorsum gown.

The gown was made using the same delicate leafy lace, which we saw presented in the Spring 2009 collection.

Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh wore this lime green, one-shoulder Atelier Versace Fall 2008 gown. I’m not crazy about the colour, but I love the detail on the bodice.

Taiwanese actress Guey Lun-Mei, wore a gorgeous chiffon strapless Celine Spring 2009 dress with a leather waistband, which she has modified from the runway.

Although I love the more dramatic runway version, with the cap sleeves, visible white underlay, and leather details on the shoulders, the modification of Guey’s dress, was the right choice for her demure look.

I adore her updo, as it completes this sleek look.

Mainland Chinese actress Fan Bing Bing wore this tropical print Gucci Spring 2009 maxi dress.

This is the same dress which Rihanna wore on that infamous night of the Clive Davis pre- Grammy party.

The dress looks fine without a belt on the runway, as it billows in the model-made wind, but off the runway, I would prefer to see this dress with a belt, to prevent it looking like a tent. With the belt the dress and the wearer have more shape.

I love Fan’s blue glitter star clutch.

One of my favourite dresses of this event was worn by Hong Kong actress Gigi Leung.

I loved this Salvatore Ferragamo Spring 2009 halter dress when it was first worn by Gwyneth Paltrow last year in black, but it’s just as outstanding on Gigi in red.

I was never a fan of the Fendi Spring 2009, and I wasn’t surprised that we haven’t seen much of it on the red carpet.

South Korean actress Lee Na-young adds so much charm and grace to this Fendi lace dress, it’s hard not to fall in love with it. A cute box clutch and gold heels complete her look.

Mainland Chinese actress Zhao Tao opted for the red over the pink runway version of this adorable Christian Dior Spring 2009 ultra mini dress.

I’m not crazy about her choice of footwear, but I admire her for wearing such short dress.

This is one of the plainest dresses on this red carpet, but I still find this Chloe Resort 2009 strapless column gown really beautiful.

Japanese actress Eri Fukatsu chose a very minimalist look. Only accessorizing her with a simple bracelet with her gown.

This has to be one of the best dressed red carpet events of the year.

Source

Tia Mowry-Hardrict In Ellery - International Fashion Film Awards

Tia Mowry-Hardrict In Ellery – International Fashion Film Awards

Runway To "Forever Enthralled" Press Screening - Zhang Ziyi In Louis Vuitton

Runway To “Forever Enthralled” Press Screening – Zhang Ziyi In Louis Vuitton

21 Responses to 2009 Asian Film Awards

1. Atelier March 24, 2009 at 13:14 #

wow…asians surely love A list designers…!!!

2. Lily March 24, 2009 at 13:30 #

Wow- the Celine dress was my favourite piece of all spring collections. I am glad that finally someome’s wearing it.

3. stevie. March 24, 2009 at 13:46 #

ive got to completely agree with it being one of the best-dressed red carpets.
    our asian counterparts have done much better than some of us of late.

4. Moi March 24, 2009 at 15:54 #

It is really nice of you to feature some fashion from all around the world. I really enjoyed it. There were some really nice choices and nice updos as you said. Thanks a lot!

5. antoneLLina March 24, 2009 at 15:56 #

omg!!!gigi leung si FAWLESS!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 19:14 #

Its great to see fellow Chinese/Asians making an effort and looking great on the red carpet, especially after the disappointing Oscars red carpet. Kudos to fashion critic for identifying the dresses, as asian sites rarely do this and its great to see a wider range covered on this blog.

7. Ling March 24, 2009 at 19:28 #

Thank you for covering this event, it’s nice to see so many well dressed Asians! (even if I don’t know some of them!) I particularly liked Guey Lun-Mei and Gigi Leung.

8. Fashion Critic March 24, 2009 at 19:32 #

Anon 18:14,

Thanks for your comment.

I’m making a deliberate effot to feature all stylish events, especially as so many people from all over the world read my blog.

It is also refreshing for me to feature these types of event as we see a more diverse range of designers.

9. Raquel March 24, 2009 at 20:47 #

I love when you show events outside US and UK, just love that.

Michelle Yeoh is one of the most eforless elegant woman ever.

10. Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 21:36 #

I like the idea, but it seems so common. Asian actreses aways wear runway looks. So it’s nothing new, plu the chance of seeing the again on the red carpet is slim. I think I’ll stik to my bigger named girls.

• batistafan2 July 5, 2009 at 19:17 #

Yes I agree with you about that idea. But these girls are probably more famous than american ones and they are always on the red carpet. It’s just that you probably don’t hear about them on your side of the world

11. Sarah March 24, 2009 at 23:45 #

I have to admit I don’t know any of these girls, but I’m totally impressed!

12. Parvati March 25, 2009 at 00:11 #

This is what I like about Asian actresses, that they are always daring and wear fabulous dresses, without playing it safe. Many American actresses should take lessons from them.

13. drinkupthefashion March 25, 2009 at 01:07 #

everyone looked so good at this event. these asian actresses really pulled out all the stops.

14. May March 25, 2009 at 07:37 #

i think it’s so cool that you are covering this Asian event, besides the usual fashion/Hollywood events. Love your diversity, what a great fashion highlight this was.

15. Kate March 26, 2009 at 12:54 #

Anon, 20:36

So you only like actresses who have “bigger names” and think others are worthless. Then I think you are the one that is. Actually mot of the celebs on this red carpet are very famous in China, Taiwan etc, so they appear on the red carpet quite often, it is just you don’t know it. Everyone deserves a chnace to shine on the red carpet, not just the aid “bigger names”, otherwise it would be so boring to see the same ppl all over again.

16. Fashion Critic March 26, 2009 at 12:59 #

I agree Kate, it’s nice to see others wearing fantastic designs.

Red carpet style is not limited to those in the US.

17. whitestroke March 30, 2009 at 22:15 #

Those Asians sure know how to dress!

Marisa Tomei wore that black Fendi dress last year, I think.

18. Yan September 18, 2009 at 10:56 #

We Asian girls love fashion no less than anyone else does. Surely the beauty standards are a bit different, but the efforts we make are with ‘international level’. :)

19. ewaffle October 21, 2009 at 01:08 #

Chinese actresses in particular are super-stylish (with a few exceptions) and take their publicity, red carpet and movie marketing very seriously. Their fans can be extremely demanding and they are expected to be “on” whenever they are in public so even when they “dress down” they dress up.

All that said, this is a GREAT blog and one I will return to often.

• Fashion Critic October 21, 2009 at 07:44 #