Runway To "Monsters Vs. Aliens" LA Premiere – Reese Witherspoon In Rodarte

I almost fell of my chair when I saw pictures of Reese Witherspoon wearing this space-aged Rodarte Fall 2009 silver and green dress, to the Monsters Vs. Aliens LA premiere today.

Reese did wear a modified Rodarte gown to the 2009 Oscars, but I never expected her to wear one of their edgier pieces.

No offense to Reese, but Rodarte is for those with a bit of an edge, like Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett and Keira Knightley. But saying that I’m presently surprised with this effort.

I love her Balenciaga heels. The grey peep-toes, with the yellow heels are a nice touch.

The only downside for me is the hair.

The hair and the dress don’t quite work well together. You have a “soccer mom” type hairstyle, with the “Downtown New Yorker” dress.

Her hair pulled back in a tight ponytail, would have sexed up this look, and may have worked better imo.

If she wanted to try something new, she should have gone all the way.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source
Giorgia Sinicorni In Vionnet - '3 Coeurs' Venice Film Festival Premiere

Giorgia Sinicorni In Vionnet – ’3 Coeurs’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

Social Events Of The Weekend

Social Events Of The Weekend

14 Responses to Runway To "Monsters Vs. Aliens" LA Premiere – Reese Witherspoon In Rodarte

1. misstuesday March 23, 2009 at 00:23 #

She also has a soccer mum FACE…
    Should have done something with her makeup and her toenails.
    We shouldn’t be too harsh though, the look is still really cool, especially considering how unusual it is for her.

2. joanne March 23, 2009 at 01:17 #

I disagree, I think that it keeps the look down to earth. Not everyone wants to look entirely edgy and groundbreaking. If she had her hair like you said it would be out of character and you would have said she had tried too hard.

3. Kaya March 23, 2009 at 02:10 #

I actually never expected to see this dress on the red carpet and am pleasantly surprised to see it. It wears well.

Unfortunately Reese Witherspoon had to wear it, and I agree, soccer-mom is Reese Witherspoons signature style. I wish someone edgier had donned the dress in my honest opinion.

4. Fashion Critic March 23, 2009 at 02:18 #

Joanne, I totally disagree, the hair doesn’t work with the dress at all.

If she wanted to be down to earth, then she should have picked another dress.

I do not think a ponytail is out of character for anyone. I was not insisting she dye her hair black, now THAT would have been out of character. LOL

5. SydneyCheapChic March 23, 2009 at 03:06 #

I still think she looks hot…

semi agree with the hair.. but even if she kept it poker straight and not the wavy curls with bangs i think it would’ve still looked okay..

i don’t see soccer mom though.. that’s verging on harsh.

6. Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 04:04 #

this dress is so much better with bare leg. it looks so much more wearable. the original look was too much.

7. hiun_na March 23, 2009 at 07:14 #

i think this is one of her best latest appearances *gasp*

8. Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 07:49 #

I disagree. I don’t think that if you’re wearing an edgy outfit, you’re entire make-up and hair-do should be the same. For people who are edgy all the time, yes, but for Reese that would have looked ridiculous. If I’m wearing an bold outfit, I try to ‘soften’ my look with the hair, make-up, accessories, etc.

9. Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 09:42 #

Hair does,kt work. Even dead straight would have been beter than the loose waves

10. Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 11:41 #

Actually, this is not exactly the first time Reese tried to go edgy (GG 2006 – vintage Chanel Couture, already worn by Kirsten Dunst, or her colaboration with Olivier Theyskens during the 2007 awards season). She’ll never be a hardcore fashionista, so this is quite an effort. Still, I think Nina Ricci by Theyskens was the right thing for her – youthful, but not overly hip, fashion-forward, yet not pushy. Unfortunatelly, he’s no longer working for Nina Ricci, so I guess Witherspoon will have to find someone who’ll make her look WOW. Not sure the Rodarte sisters are the right ones for her, though.

David

11. Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 11:48 #

Oh, and about her hair – her chin doesn’t allow her to wear a sleek ponytail. Her face is just way too angular for a swept-back do – remember how bad she looked at the Oscars? I believe the fact she decided to pull her hair back had something with it. At the Vanity Fair party she loosened it up, and instantly, it looked much better!

David

12. Ninabeena March 23, 2009 at 22:47 #

I was shocked to see her in this dress and thought she looked great in it. I would have laughed at the effort had she gone with “edgier” hair and make up because she isn’t edgy. I think what she did is perfect for her.

13. Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 01:18 #

I’m still amused that over all the debate about Reese’s hair (Team Ponytail!) no one’s mentioned how tiny Seth Rogan looks – and this is while standing next to Reese.

14. whitestroke March 30, 2009 at 21:23 #

Sometimes going all edgy can be slightly softened by the person wearing it, too. Reese’s got that cute factor about her that wouldn’t make her look edgy Jennifer Connelly-style even if she did go all out with a severe hairstyle. Which is exactly what she should have done. I think IN GENERAL that such busy artistic pieces should be worn with hair pulled back. The logic of it speaks for itself.

Like her shoes, though.