17.03.09

Beyonce Knowles For Vogue US April 2009

I waited and waited for the Beyonce Knowles’ Vogue US April 2009 editorial. I don’t know what I was expecting, but when I finally saw it, I felt quite disappointed.

B was photographed by Mario Testino, but I still feel totally uninspired by her shoot. The shots are quite dull. Maybe because this shoot is all about Beyonce and not Sasha. Sasha has a bit of an edge to her.

With regards to the cover, many bloggers are asking the question: Is Beyoncé’s Vogue cover racist?

Sociological Images blogger said:

“For the second time this year, the Vogue cover features a woman of color, Beyonce. Unfortunately, in line with cultural stereotypes, the issue is the ‘Shape Issue,’ contributing to the stereotype of Black women, and Latina women too, as especially ‘curvy’….”

I look forward to the day when we’re not shocked by a woman of colour being on the cover for Vogue 2 months in a row, and these types of questions are not asked. Until then, I’ll just look at the pretty pictures.

You can read Beyonce’s full interview here.

Source
Joy Bryant - Missoni's Unofficial Brand Ambassador

Joy Bryant – Missoni’s Unofficial Brand Ambassador

The 2009 CFDA Awards Nominees

The 2009 CFDA Awards Nominees

15 Responses to Beyonce Knowles For Vogue US April 2009

1. Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 17:14 #

In my opinion, she is curvy in the world of famous people who look like sticks but compared to women out in the real world she isn’t all that curvy

2. drinkupthefashion March 17, 2009 at 17:16 #

the pictures are light and serene. although they’re not crazy fierce or creative beyonce looks truly beautiful in the pics. i love ‘em.

i also look forward to the day when we’re not shocked that there are two women of color in a row on the cover of Vogue or that there are women of color on the covers at all. i know i was shocked when i heard beyonce was on the cover, especially right after michelle obama. i’m black myself, and i just didn’t expect it from vogue…especially american Vogue.

3. Myssidominici March 17, 2009 at 17:18 #

I agree, I was expecting more, but maybe we are too used to Sasha. Vogue just might be racist, but at the same time who are we really expecting to see onthe “shape” issue? March they featured Michelle Obama, and B for April, If they follow up with another black presence for May, I would get off their case. [Zoe Saldana would be great!]

4. Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 17:49 #

Agreed Myssidominici !
    I would love to see Thandie newton, zoe saldaña or kerry whashington on vogue!

5. Fashion Critic March 17, 2009 at 18:08 #

Thanks for you comment David. I really liked what you said :)

I agree, the cover is the only news worthy piece, the rest falls terribly flat.

I did see Julia, but because she wore you coat the WHOLE time I decided that if she is not going to bother then neither will I.

6. robbie March 17, 2009 at 18:49 #

wow seriously underwhelmed, im not a huge beyonce fan but i was expecting a little more from her.

but damn it is nice to see she actually has more than one facial expression.

i FRICKIN LOVE that little boy in the last picture, he looks like such a diva, i love it lol. he totally steals the spotlight from beyonce lol.

7. Moi March 17, 2009 at 19:06 #

Yeah I know what the bloggers means. I was a little disappointed that they chose Beyonce AS the cover of the shape issue, but I’m still happy they chose her . Also I never thought that they chose Beyonce as a black icon that represents the fact that “all black and latino” have curves but more as a single leading woman WITH curves. I used to read a lot of Vogue and I was always surprised when they featured people like Gisele for the shape issue. Does that mean that all brazilian are tall and thin, I think this issue raised is not called for.
    I also agree that the photos are not that edgy as you said but they’re still beautiful and really show the concept of “shapes” (especially the third one wow!) . I don’t know much about fashion really but does Mario Testino do that kind of “edgy” pictures? I was wondering what you did have in mind.
    Thanks.

8. Fashion Critic March 17, 2009 at 19:13 #

Moi, I’m not 100% sure what Mario Testino’s signature style is.

Hopefully someone will read this and help us out by identifying it.

9. Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 19:49 #

To the back of the bus!

10. Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 19:53 #

In short, Testino likes shooting celebrities, and they love him, too – that’s why his pics are regularly featured in US Vogue. He is said to be very kind and understandable – probably the reason so many stars let him take photos of them, even during their private hours (as documented in his book “Let me in”, where he’s shooting Ashton and Demi kissing, Gwyneth without makeup etc). Although he’s often shooting for Vogue Italia, you can’t really say his takes are extremely fashion-forward. Caught somewhere in between Bruce Weber and Terry Richardson (explicit exposure, overt sexiness) and David Sims (futuristic way of presenting the latest styles on young girls), Testino’s aproach could be described as polished, sleek and comparably safe.

11. Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 19:55 #

Forgot to say: it’s me, David!
    Something’s still wrong with my Google account.

12. Fashion Critic March 17, 2009 at 20:23 #

Thanks a lot David for the information.

Hopefully Moi will come back and read this.

13. Freida fan March 17, 2009 at 20:29 #

i love beyonce this a great shoot. obviously nothing groundbreaking in terms of styling but i still like it. apart from the cover which i love, i really love the pic with the kids – her smile is so cute and the colour is stunning.

Nicole

14. WendyB March 17, 2009 at 22:52 #

I’m going to sulk until I see a model on the cover.

15. Raquel March 17, 2009 at 23:07 #

Honestly, it’s not Beyoncee, but Vogue America that disappoints.

Beyonce is well-dressed, well-coiffed, in her comfort zone but tasteful. Those pictures could have been in any other magazine, even Seventeen. It’s boring, but that’s not Beyoncee’s fault, because we’ve seen her in some daring editorials las year.

I sort of think she is game, she is not afraid to try, but she won’t actively suggest anything. She needs a good editor, and, heck, Anna Wintour and Andre Leon Talley are not the people for the job.

Vogue America NEEDS to be revamped. It’s Vogue, for Pete’s sake, not some boring Zara catologue. No wonder people kiss Roitfeld’s feet, French Vogue IS a fashion magazine and not a display of celebrities – though I still think nobody tops Franca Sozzani and Viogue Italia. The woman is fierce with a capital F and it shows on every single page of Vogue Italia. Vogue Russia is also good.

Testino bores me. He seldoms delivers. It’s like Annie Leibovitz: that dèja vú feeling in all photos.