16.03.09

The Metropolitan Opera’s 125th Anniversary Gala

Diane Kruger was looking as radiant as ever in a strapless two-tone YSL gown. She outshone everyone at this event.

The detail on the bodice is exquisite, and the blue is electrifying.

Becki Newton is wearing a stunning pair of YSL Spring 2009 heels, which I have been lusting after since seeing them on the runway last year.

Amanda from Ugly Betty would be green with envy watching Becki walk the red carpet in a glimmering green sequined YSL Spring 2009 strapless dress.

Claire Danes looked exquisite in a silk YSL Pre-Fall 2009 navy halter gown, which had a ruched bodice, and a draped skirt.

Her hair was styled in an elegant updo, and she carried a gorgeous gold jeweled YSL clutch.

British actress Emily Mortimer wore a round-necked maroon YSL Spring 2009 dress.

Her dress was accessorized with a black velvet with bow detailed belt, which sits a little too high for my liking, as it gives her quite an unflattering shape.

Zoe Saldana is gorgeous wearing a strapless green YSL Pre-Fall 2009 gown, which had a small black bowed detailed sash.

She completed the look with a matching emerald green satin clutch.

Claudia Schiffer only just pulls off this YSL Spring 2009 dress. On most of us this full-length, high neck gown would look like a sack, but on Claudia it’s just works.

Maybe it was the YSL caged sandals and the ruby red lips, that helped perfect her look.

Ginnifer Goodwin has been a bit off on the red carpet lately. But she managed to redeemed herself with this stunning strapless YSL print gown.

I love how it flows with a slightly ruffled and tiered fishtail skirt.

Kanye West and girlfriend Amber Rose are making the most of their new-found fashion status.

Amber Rose looked quite elegant from the waist up, wearing a white wrap dress, which had a thigh-high split, revealing her tattoo.

The look was completed with a black furry stole, a black fringed clutch, and black satin pumps.

Brooke Shields was sophisticated in strapless gown. The gown had a bow detail on the bodice, which seems to be the theme of the night.

Had Mary-Kate Olsen styled her hair better, I would have really liked this look, but an Olsen isn’t an Olsen without a hint of signature scruffiness, right?

Mary-Kate wears her black kimono with a silver belt, which matched her YSL clutch.

Parker Posey opted for a burgundy gown, with a matching furry bolero. The look was complete with a multiple gold linked necklace, and a YSL clutch.

Patricia Clarkson was elegant in a blue strapless YSL gown. I adore her feathered clutch.

Source & Source

In Diane Kruger's Closet - Emilio Pucci Cut Out Studded Leather Sandals

In Diane Kruger’s Closet – Emilio Pucci Cut Out Studded Leather Sandals

Cover Wars: Who Wore The Herve Leger Swimsuit On The Cover Better?

Cover Wars: Who Wore The Herve Leger Swimsuit On The Cover Better?

27 Responses to The Metropolitan Opera’s 125th Anniversary Gala

1. Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 13:04 #

Excuse me, but I think I already saw Diane Kruger’s gown… Oh, yeah, Kristin Scott Thomas wore it to the BAFTAs. Remember? She came very late that evening…

David

2. Ace Azri March 16, 2009 at 13:07 #

absolute love for this event. nothing else can be said. even kanye clean up for YSL. everyone looks gorgeous though for the slight belt problem for one. else perfecto! love love love love MK.

diane, becki, zoe, brooke and Mk are my bestdressed. Definitely.

3. Fashion Critic March 16, 2009 at 13:14 #

yes you are right David. :)

4. edie. March 16, 2009 at 14:11 #

there were many beautiful dresses worn at this event..
    but is it just me or does anyone else wish claudia schiffer did something different with her hair? her hair to me, is like amanda bynes’ – unchanging with a desperate need for a new style!
    and i wish ginnifer goodwin would smile slightly more she always looks rather nervous on the red carpet (i wouldnt blame her) but shes even more beautiful when she smiles!

5. MeiMei March 16, 2009 at 14:17 #

I agree with Ace, Sorry FC, but MK was the the best for the night. Her styling was impeccable and the hair and make-up really captured the essence of YSL. The rest looked sweet but to predictable esp. Claire Danes.
    P.s. Messy is the new tidy.

6. Ling March 16, 2009 at 14:29 #

Loved Becki Newton and Ginnifer Goodwin (just wish she’d smile more!) I love Emily Mortimer’s outfit on the runway but maybe it’s her awkward pose, something doesn’t look right. I’m sure Claire Danes has already worn a similar dress before, can’t really remember though! I expected more from Diane too – I didn’t particularly like it on Kristen Scott Thomas and it’s still not really working for me either. Maybe if it was all the same colour it would look better?

7. Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 14:33 #

Oh, I forgot to ask: anyone else feeling a very strong Courtney Love vibe while looking at Mary Kate?? She was always a bit grungy!
    David

8. Moi March 16, 2009 at 15:10 #

I like everybody except maybe Emily Mortimer, I feel sequined dresses with long sleeves might be too much. MK would have been one of my best without those hair, and the harsh red lipstick really age her..
    Otherwise really nice dresses

9. Nik March 16, 2009 at 16:06 #

OMG FC, how can you be so calm! This is major for me, the YSL cage shoes on the red carpet. I am hyperventilating!

Although I was hoping more for the black cage boots to dramatically appear and get splashed in magazines everywhere, the sandals on Claudia and the heels on Becki…speechless.

You have quite the opposition here in regards to MK Olsen. She has such a cult following, lol. But I admire your opinions, always (despite sometimes disagreeing).

What I’d give to be friends with Stefano Pilate. *sigh*

10. Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 16:11 #

Amber Rose = Mutton dressed as lamb

I sometimes feel that Claudia dresses a bit boring. She’s a supermodel and I just wish she would wear something a bit more special.

Love the YSL heels on Becky.

T

11. Fashion Critic March 16, 2009 at 16:26 #

Nik, excuse my lack of enthusiasm on the YSL caged heels.

To be honest I was hoping they would appear on someone more fabulous.

I’m a snob I know. *hangs head in shame*

12. robbie March 16, 2009 at 16:27 #

what a god damn boring event, diane is the only one who looks good.

no offence to amber but you are at an event about opera, at least dress with some class for god sake, she looks like a skank, also the way she is holding that clutch, over advertising much? kanye again looks constipated.

plus the olsens are just so frickin boring, all they ever wear is overly baggy dresses.

13. When A Girl Talks.. March 16, 2009 at 16:29 #

Mk, Love her dress. But her hair doesn’t really match her outfit.

14. Kelly March 16, 2009 at 16:41 #

That blue on Diane Kruger’s dress — so fantastic!! What a well-dressed event.

15. Raquel March 16, 2009 at 16:59 #

I like Ginnifer, Brooke and Parker, who created a very interesting vintage feeling with that burgundy dress and bolero.

I love Becki’s dress, but the sandals are too heavy for the look.

Someone pelase feed Claire. It’s getting scary.

Word to everybody else about Claudia Schiffer’s hair. At this point, I will cheer when she arrives at the red carpet wearing a ponytail.

16. Fashion Critic March 16, 2009 at 17:00 #

LOL @ Racquel.

I will rejoice with you all.

17. Nik March 16, 2009 at 17:06 #

haha a critic that is a snob? No wonder you have such poor taste.

Lol.

I believe that one has to be picky in order to have good taste. So banish the thought of your “snobbery”!

And OMG, I was so blindsighted by the shoes that I totally didn’t notice the fact that the girls wearing them are….eh.

With much respect to them, I doubt those shoes will get enough publicity and wow factor in mags. You are so right to turn your nose up on them.

Diane Kruger could have pulled it off at this event, no? It is such a great excuse to wear those ridiculous YSL heels.

It could have been such a great shoe, red carpet moment, a la Ashley Olsen in those Alaia knee-high heels.

18. Fashion Critic March 16, 2009 at 17:20 #

;) Ha.

Diane could have pulled them off for sure.

Had Diane worn them I would have freaked out for sure.

But in a not in that gown.

19. Shannae March 16, 2009 at 17:24 #

I don’t think that amber looks like a skank… so what if a bit of her tattoo was showing, would you say the same if it were Angela Jolie on the redcarpet and some of her ink showed??? I think not…

This looks like a classic case of people judging her based on her past (maybe current??) profession…

I had to get that out of the way, but my reason for commenting was to see if anyone knew who makes her satin shoes and wrap dress… I was thinking Stella Mccartney for the shoes, but I couldn’t find anything online. The dress resembles an emanuel ungaro dress with a samilar style, but I don’t think its the same one… would love to know!!

Shannae ;D

20. Fashion Critic March 16, 2009 at 17:39 #

Shannae, her past does not mean anything to me.

As a fashion blogger I am only interested in what she wears.

I HATE tattoos with a real passion on anyone. They are just not my cup of tea. So my dislike applies to every celebrity, including Angelina Jolie and Victoria Beckham, this is not a race issue nor background issue.

What she does for a profession is her prerogative. I will not/have not judged her for it.

I was thinking the dress was McQueen, because of the collar, but I could not find anything online to confirm.

If I find out I will update the post.

Thanks for your comments ;)

21. sanjchee March 16, 2009 at 19:34 #

Diane looks amazing, gotta love that blue :) Love how she kept hair and makeup discreet..
    However, I think Brooke’s makeup is really SCARY, as is Mary Kate’s! What’s with the white foundation?? And yeah I also think she looks like Courtney Love :D
    And that Amber Rose.. I agree, her posing is just too much for this… erm.. ANY kind of event..

22. Profashionelle March 16, 2009 at 20:14 #

FC & Nik,

actually Becki isn't the first to wear the caged YSL heels. A few days ago Ciara rocked the black ankle boot version at the premiere of Class of 3000. One or two days later I discovered Milla Jovovich was wearing the silver ones to the YSL show during Paris Fashion Week.

I do like these caged heels as much as you, Nik, and I'm glad they finally get some celebrity love. ;)

P.S.: Love Becki's dress!

23. Dana March 16, 2009 at 20:45 #

ugh amber rose.
    no words for that ugly, snobby girl.

24. Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 23:08 #

ACTUALLY, Profashionelle, Ciara was not the first one who got to wear YSL’S cage heels. :)) You see, Tilda Swinton wore them a few times already, mostly during the Berlin Film Festival (first she paired them with a suit in dove grey; after that, she wore the same shoes with a black tux).

FC, I know you’re probably busy, posting new features, but please fix it – Becki Newton is certainly NOT the first lucky girl who got to wear those shoes. I like your blog, and I don’t want to hear someone saying you are providing some false information.

David

25. Fashion Critic March 17, 2009 at 01:00 #

Thanks David. I owe you.

Nice work.

26. Profashionelle March 17, 2009 at 14:55 #

@David:

I totally missed out on this one. But it’s great to hear that she got to wear them first because I instantly thought those heels would be so her style when I saw the shoes on the runway.

Thanks for enlightening us, David! ;-)

27. whitestroke March 30, 2009 at 16:11 #

I’m disappointed by Diane here. Not only a rerun, but very boring overall. She should be the one rocking runway pieces. Why so safe? Beck and Emily don’t wear their looks as good as Diane would, but I find them more interesting than her here. I even like Emily’s bow belt. She went for the baby-cut shape. I also like Ginnifer, MK and Parker. Claire and Zoe – quite boring.

Amber-wise, I hate tattoos with passion myself, and it’s nice to hear someone else is on the same page. It’s especially annoying when they get a tattoo on such intimate place, and then they go out of their way in the most ridiculous of ways to show it off. The whole tattoo-mania is blowing out of proportions to the point of it being a ‘discrimination’ if you voice your opinion against them. I was once almost banned from a certain forum because I said ‘I hate tattoos’ – yes, just those 3 words! – which wasn’t related to anyone in particular, but just stating my opinion on the matter. People on the forum who happen to have tattoos urged the mod to ‘discipline’ me because they found that 3-word sentence of mine OFFENSIVE. I mean, WTF?!

Re what Nik said: I believe that one has to be picky in order to have good taste. – THANK YOU. Me and my mom are always getting so worked up when people say they like ‘everything’. LOL Pleeease!