23.02.09

2009 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

I think Kate Bosworth looks absolutely outstanding in this Alexander McQueen Resort 2009 dress. One of the best looks of the party night.

I love that it is sleeveless, unlike the runway version, and I like that her hair is unfussy.

Madonna arrived wearing a Christian Dior Spring 2009 dress, which was unsurprisingly sheer in places.

Taraji P. Henson did a quick change from the show. Her second pick was this Nina Ricci Spring 2009 peachy gown with ruffled details, and a rise & fall hem.

YIKES, was the first thing I said when I saw Zoe Saldana in this Dolce & Gabbana gown. The animal print is too ‘in your face’.

Speaking of YIKES. Alicia Keys changed the dress, but didn’t change the hair and make-up which has been an issue with me and many of you.

This canary yellow asymmetrical gown is gorgeous. Such a shame about rest.

Zooey Deschanel – Katy Perry’s could be twin – arrived looks cute as always wearing a stunning silver sequined Elie Saab dress.

I think it’s a first that she is not wearing tights on the red carpet.

Cat Deeley wears a one-shouldered Matthew Williams Fall 2008 gown, that has already been worn by Mischa Barton.

The gorgeous Georgina Chapman wore a gold embroidered self designed dress from her Marchsea Spring 2009 collection.

I love the swirling pattern on the skirt of Ginnifer Goodwin’s dress, but not so crazy about the bodice. This is a great colour on her though.

Being in the front row of a fashion show pays off for actresses, as Jessica Stroup was wearing a Pamella Roland Spring 2009 plunging black and white sequined gown, after she attended Pamella Roland’s Fall 2009 show last week.

The actress dazzled in Jude Frances jewelry.

There are a few things I hated last night. Jessica Biel’s hair, Beyonce’s dress. Now I can add Salma Hayek’s Balenciaga dress.

It looks so unflattering on her, and the tired old YSL Trib Two’s and the tights don’t help her cause either.

I will guess Marion Cotillard didn’t want people stepping on the train of her Dior gown, so she slipped into this violet strapless cocktail Elie Saab Fall 2008 dress for this party.

Marisa Tomei did the same, but I really dislike the colour blocking on this Juan Carlos Obando Spring 2009 gown.

Like last year’s Vanity Fair party, Ziyi Zhang wore Armani Privé.

Her nude cocktail Armani Privé Fall 2008 dress had a stunning embellished bodice, and a soft silk chiffon layered skirt.

Jada Pinkett-Smith wore a Roberto Cavalli Resort 2009 one-sleeved gown, which had a crystal embellished detail on the waist.

Daniel Craig’s partner Satsuki Mitchell, wore a watermelon Christian Lacroix Spring 2009 Couture one shouldered gown.

Kate Beckinsale wore a J.Mendel Fall 2009 asymmetrical black gown, which she decorated with a silver brooch.

This is a very subdued look for Kate, who usually loves big gowns.

Rachel Weisz wore one of the finale dresses from the Narciso Rodriguez Fall 2009 collection.

I wasn’t particularly crazy about this dress then, and even less enthused about it now.

The heels are fierce though.

Elizabeth Banks wore this black flapper-esqe Roberto Cavalli Resort 2009 cocktail dress.

This dress was presented in ivory, and I think this would have been a better choice for Elizabeth.

Her look is complete with Sergio Rossi shoes and a Swarovski clutch.

Yay. Now the parties start.

Debra Messing makes up for her earlier disappointment, by wearing this nude sleeveless Jenny Packham Fall 2008 gown with emerald green embellishments.

I have always loved this gown, and I am glad Debra wore it well.

Instead wearing her own expected L.A.M.B. designs, Gwen Stefani wore a black Chanel Fall 2008 Couture cocktail dress, with interesting detail on the bodice.

I really dislike this collection, so kudos to Gwen for making this work.

Good to see her back on the red carpet.

This has to be one of the first times I have really dislike something worn by Naomi Watts.

Diane von Furstenberg is of course wearing her own designs. The lavender sequined dress, with beaded details is from her Spring 2009 collection.

Carolina Herrera was of course wearing her own design from her Spring 2009 collection.

Jessica Biel tries to redeem herself wearing a fuschia Oscar de la Renta Fall 2009 gown, but still fails with her greasy hair.

Rosario Dawson out does her wearing a strapless white satin Dolce & Gabbana gown with an black embellished belt.

Jessica Alba, like Heidi Klum, wore a RM by Roland Mouret Resort 2009 black gown, with an asymmetrical hem, and a overshot shoulder, which was folded down, to reveal the ivory lining.

Olivia Palermo In Burberry Prorsum - ‘Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom’ Special New York Screening

Olivia Palermo In Burberry Prorsum – ‘Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom’ Special New York Screening

Runway To The 2009 Oscars

Runway To The 2009 Oscars

27 Responses to 2009 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

1. Nicolas February 23, 2009 at 05:52 #

True dedication shows….i hope you get a good sleep after this is all over!!!

LOVE UR BLOG!!!

2. Raquel February 23, 2009 at 05:57 #

Fashion Critic, what did you think of Jennifer Aniston? I think she looked gorgeous, and totally beat Angelina.

3. robbie February 23, 2009 at 07:11 #

trust the fabulous diane von furstenberg to bring bright colour to what seems like a rather dull party.

i adore her and her peices.

4. ivette February 23, 2009 at 07:52 #

i’ve been refreshing the page for the last half hour and everytime theres been something new thanks fc sososooooo much!! i really appreciate all the work you put into my favorite website!!

i cant wait to see your post on all the actresses that didnt walk the red carpet and just presented im looking forward to that!

5. nicole February 23, 2009 at 08:05 #

i cant stop refreshing im addicted to this blog!
    good job FC!!

Ziyi Zhang looks fresh and lovely!

6. Paige@Muller February 23, 2009 at 08:30 #

gwen and gavin look AMAZING!!! she got her pre-baby body back quickly.

not looking diane’s look. nice dress what the coat is horrid. is it shag??

carolina looks good but that silhoutte is one that she tends to wear alot so i can’t really get too excited about it.

7. ivette February 23, 2009 at 09:11 #

what the hell is jessica biel thinking ugh she looks hideous

im pretty sure shes wearing this oscar de la renta dress which is a shame because it was one of my favs on the runway

8. Fashion Critic February 23, 2009 at 09:18 #

thanks ivette.

9. nicole February 23, 2009 at 09:24 #

it looks soo much better on the runway. her hair is just awful!!! Rosario is beautiful as always.
    I like this minimal makeup look jessica’s been doing lately.

10. FASHIONS-FLYEST February 23, 2009 at 13:07 #

Kate Beckinsale didn’t decorate her gown, Rachel Zoe did.
    (give her credit)

11. Raquel February 23, 2009 at 14:43 #

Ziyi’s shoes are so heavy for such a nice dress.

First time I’m not thrilled By Rachel.

I love Jada’s gown, but I would like to see it in person, because she is short and I have to wonder if it really works.

Satsuki is sooo classy.

Kate, meh. Same old thing over and over and over.

I reaaaally love Debra, Rosario and Jessica.

I give up, Jessica BIel has boredom and bland embeded in her genes.

12. Cry February 23, 2009 at 14:53 #

At that party there was also Kate Bosworth, wearing a gorgeous Alexander McQueen

13. Helô Gomes February 23, 2009 at 17:24 #

i love kate bosworth

14. Helô Gomes February 23, 2009 at 17:26 #

for me, the most beautiful lady was sarah Jessica parker, i just love when she entered the stage, trowhing her dress from onde side to the other…
    love your blog, read every day, but i never commented before..

oh yeah, i work for vogue online, in Brasil, and y help me soooo much! =)

thanks!
    kiss
    Helo Gomes

15. Raquel February 23, 2009 at 17:47 #

Kate B is pure love in this. Such a stunning look.

I usually like Marchesa, but I swear that Georgina’s dress are exactly like an old tapestry my grnadmother had on her dinning wall.

HATE Salma’s dress.

16. Ling February 23, 2009 at 18:29 #

Daniel’s lovely lady, Satsuki was probably the best dressed of the night, though I wish she’d stand a bit away from him so we could see the full dress! Georgina Chapman is so lovely but I’m surprised she didn’t wear a Fall 2009 dress, and her hair is a bit odd, as if she couldn’t decide whether to have it straight or curled. Hmmm.

17. Fashion Critic February 23, 2009 at 18:37 #

I agree it is so annoying when plus one’s don’t let us see their full gown.

She is wearing couture for god sake. Let the world see it.

18. Flora February 23, 2009 at 22:37 #

Salma’s frock doesn’t do her funbags any favours. They look like they’re suffocating in there.

Kate Beckinsale, yawn. I can’t remember the last time I saw her wearing something interesting. Even the brooch can’t liven up this rather dull dress, but then I suppose when your permanent expression is set to “vacant” it’s hard to make anything look dynamic.

Don’t like Debra’s dress either. Can’t get up the enthusiasm to hate it, but at the same time I don’t think it’s very flattering or attractive.

I do rather admire Satsuki Mitchell’s refusal to play the fashion game, I must say. She’s not there in her own right, only as Daniel’s partner, so she doesn’t want to outshine him by posing separately. This is very annoying when Angelina does it, mind you.

19. Hoardmeister February 24, 2009 at 01:04 #

I hate Salma Hayek’s dress, the first time I’ve disliked something she wore. It is badly fitted on top, and she is far too short to pull off that high-low hem at that extreme.

Jessica Alba’s gown was far more tasteful than Ms. Klum’s, in my unhumble opinion.

20. ASNaomi February 24, 2009 at 03:09 #

When I fail university I will blame this blog for adictiveness! Thank you so much for your dedication.

P.S. Zooey Deschanel is not Katy Perry’s could be twin, Katy Perry is a Zooey Deschanels could be twin! Zooey came first with her georgeous kooky looks and Katy Perry came along and spoiled it with her horrible mainstream-ness and trying-to-hard-to-be-different-so-as-to-not-be-seen-as-the-fake-pop-singer-as-I-actually-am style.

21. Nik February 24, 2009 at 08:36 #

wow since when did zooey/zoe become such a common name lol

22. Leo February 24, 2009 at 18:38 #

Diane Von Furstenberg is a godess.

Madonna impressed me so much, and her face looks better than usual. Not scary looking.

Debra Messing looks good but Jenny Packham’s designs always look tacky to me.

Kate Bosworth is so perfect it’s not fair.

Jessica Biel ruined a beautiful dress with that hair.

What the hell happened to Salma?

Alicia looked even worse than at the cerimony, that yellow dress is so wrong for her.

Kate Beckinsale bores me to death.

23. Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 19:03 #

I think Naomi’s breasts look vulgar in that dress. Something about the way they sit in it.

24. whitestroke February 28, 2009 at 18:59 #

Kate Bosworth – I love her hair here. And the dress fits her like a glove.
    Madonna – What happened? Her face looks like it aged a decade in the last month or so. o_O
    Taraji P. Henson – Ughh. A very poor choice. That was one of the few dresses from that collection that NEARLY worked, but she looks awful and way too stuffy in it.
    Cat Deeley – Reruns at such big events annoy me.
    Georgina Chapman – Same goes for her. Anne Hathaway wore similar dress last year.
    Marion Cotillard – Is she obsessed with straight hair these days or what? It does not suit her.
    Marisa Tomei – Oh no! WHYYY? :(
    Ziyi Zhang – Well, that's a cute look.
    Jada Pinkett-Smith – What Raquel said above…
    Satsuki Mitchell – Like everyone else said… Daniel is hot, but please please we want to see more of that dress. That was one of my fav gowns from that collection.
    Kate Beckinsale – She's always gorgeous from the neck up. And a bore from the neck down.
    Rachel Weisz – I'm struggling with this. I love Rachel, and she does make this dress slightly better than it appeared to me on the runway. (I was so disappointed with that collection.) But I actually don't like the shoes.
    Elizabeth Banks – BORING + MEH = BEH?
    Gwen Stefani – Completely the opposite here. I liked Chanel Fall 2008 Couture in a very weird way, but I don't think she makes this dress any justice.
    Diane von Furstenberg & Carolina Herrera – Looking amazing in their designs.
    Jessica Biel – Can someone PLEASE stop her from ruining Oscar de la Renta? I mean LEGALLY.

25. Fashion Critic February 28, 2009 at 19:13 #

Whitestroke, I’m loving your comments

26. whitestroke March 1, 2009 at 17:22 #

Oh stop it, you flatter me. ;)