23.02.09 Best Dressed

2009 Oscars – Best Dressed

Best Dressed Award
I was not particular wowed by many on the red carpet tonight, but Freida Pinto definitely stood out in her blue John Galliano Spring 2009 gown.

I loved the one shoulder long sleeve gown with the all lace, beading, embroidery and tulle. It was so pretty.

The gown was perfect for her, as it feels Indian inspired.

She completed her look with a Judith Leiber clutch.

Best Couture Award
OK Sarah Jessica Parker’s Christian Dior Haute Couture gown, did make her look like a fairy princess, but it’s that what we all want to see on the red carpet? Fantasy and Fairy tales?

I love the boost this gown gave her, and I love the embroidered bodice.

The only downside for me was the hair. One of her classic high buns would have looked so great with this dress.

Her jewels were Fred Leighton and her clutch is Ferragamo.

I love how cute her and Matthew Broderick looked so happy on the red carpet.

Back To Her Best Award
Of everyone on the red carpet tonight, I was most worried about Anne Hathaway. Her red carpet style has been underwhelming lately, so I prepared myself for the worst.

I was releived when Anne walked the red carpet wearing this gorgeous ivory Armani Privé Spring 2009 gown that was covered in clear paillettes. The gown moved so perfectly when she walked the red carpet.

Even thought I love the gown, I did prefer it on the runway, without the silver embellished band on the top of the bodice.

Her stunning jewels are by Cartier.

Best Use Of Colour Award
Whilst a lot of actress opted for neutral colours, Natalie Portman opted for this stunning pink Rodarte chiffon strapless gown.

I wasn’t crazy about the make-up, but the gown overall ruled.

Just OK Award
Taraji P. Henson has had a great Awards season, and although I do like this ivory Roberto Cavalli gown on her, I expected a bit more from her.

The Fred Leighton necklace is outstanding, and the Mary Norton red bag, adds some colour, but I feel like this is just OK.

On The Fence Award
Marion Cotillard was my girl crush of last awards season. Since then she seemed to disappear off the face of the earth, and the few appearances she did make left me underwhelmed.

Her Christian Dior Fall 2008 Couture gown has been modified from the runway, but I feel like I love the gown more than her in the gown.

Hard To Pull It Off, But She Did Award
Marisa Tomei didn’t pick an easy gown.

I went back and forth as to whether I liked this one-shouldered Versace Atelier silvery grey satin organza gown.

The final verdict was yes, as I became mesmerized by the pleated details.

Her jewels were Van Cleef & Arpels.

Most Improved Award
It’s not black, or brown, or by Azzedine Alaia, so Penelope Cruz finally earned her place on the Best Dressed list.

She wore a vintage Pierre Balmain Haute Couture gown. I loved the print on the gown, which looked like lace.

Her jewels are Chopard.

Best Custom Gown
Queen Latifah attended Georges Chakra’s Spring 2009 couture show in Paris recently to work with the designer.

The result was this amazing navy dutchess satin gown with tulle train, and Swarovski crystal embroidery around the neckline and on the hip.

Fit for a Queen.

I Know You Hate It, But I Love It Award
Tilda Swinton is like Marmite. You either love her or hate her.

I personally love her edgy style, despite her disappointing me at the Berlin Film Festival.

After her win last year, the British actress was a presenter last night. I loved her Lanvin Pre-Fall 2009 sand-colored matte silk satin draped blouse, which she wore with an elegant black duchesse satin long evening skirt with gathered detailing.

Golden Girl Award
Viola Davis has been wearing a lot of David Meister lately, so I was surprise when she switched to Reem Acra for her gown last night.

Surprised, but not disappointed because she looked radiant. I’m always mesmerized by her skin, because she glows.

Lady In Red Award
There were 4 red gowns on the red carpet last night, but Virginia Madsen’s Kevan Hall strapless gown was the one I really liked.

I love that origami fold on the front, and her silky silhouette.

Her shoes were Rene Caovilla, her jewels by Loree Rodkin and her clutch was by Katherine Baumann.

Most Classic Award
Meryl Steep was stunning wearing an off-the-shoulder Alberta Ferretti gown.

She is glowing.

Her clutch is by Ferragamo.

Best Couple Award
I know I am always macking on Diane Lane and Josh Brolin, but I adore them together.

She also wore a Dolce & Gabbana strapless mermaid gown, but the style was very different from Melissa George’s well worn gown.

Beyonce Will Be Jealous Award
If Beyonce had not been force to wear that House of Dereon Couture gown her mother created, this is the gown she would have wanted to wear, as it’s dripping with bling.

Instead Leslie Mann picked this stunning platinum Pamella Roland Fall 2009 gown, which was one of my favourite gowns presented at New York Fashion Week last week.

CLICK here for the Worst Dressed.

Source

Karolina Kurkova In Preen - Lucky FABB: Fashion and Beauty Blog Conference

Karolina Kurkova In Preen – Lucky FABB: Fashion and Beauty Blog Conference

Runway To The 2009 Oscars - Jennifer Aniston In Valentino Couture

Runway To The 2009 Oscars – Jennifer Aniston In Valentino Couture

41 Responses to 2009 Oscars – Best Dressed

1. Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 03:45 #

SJP’s dress it reminds me of the Nina Ricci one she wore a while back. It’s beautiful by the way

2. André February 23, 2009 at 03:45 #

I definitely agree with you about her hair. It really was kind of a letdown. The gown is gorgeous, though. I love the detailing on the bodice.

3. Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 03:46 #

SJP looks gorgeous i LOVE her gown

I feel like Frieda’s gown has too much going on, i thing it would look a lot better without the tiered skirt or the sleeve, but i love the color!

4. Haley. February 23, 2009 at 03:48 #

I LOVED SJP’s dress. Way more than Freida’s! I was a little disappointed in Freida’s…

5. freida lover February 23, 2009 at 03:50 #

loved sjp!!
    but my girl frieda brought it. it was different and definitely had a little indian feel to it with the draping. very appropriate for the oscars. and was a pop of colour in the sea of white/biege/cream. the 100 year old ring from India was beautiful too!

Nicole

6. Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 04:01 #

Hey FC lots of people who did not walk the red carpet are presenting at the ceremony…
    like tina fey,amanda seyfried,goldie hawn,jennifer aniston

7. robbie February 23, 2009 at 04:05 #

freida looked amazing, she truly wows me and not that many people wowed me this year.

SJP, first thing i have tpo say is WOW where did those puppies come from? gorgeous drop dead gorgeous dress. i loved her and matthew togethers its such a kick in the teeth to the media saying they were getting divorced.

anne finally back to her best and looking amazing. i loved the paliettes they reminded me of marions JPG dress last year.

i reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy hope the queen is on best dressed list, she looked a complete knock out.

8. Fashion Critic February 23, 2009 at 04:06 #

I know. So friggin annoying. That has happened a lot lately. I will do a separate post for them.

9. robbie February 23, 2009 at 04:14 #

oooh marion, i loved the dress, but the make-up looked a little dark on her.

taraji looked nice but i was hoping for alot more from her.

10. Ace Azri February 23, 2009 at 04:15 #

the lady who escort the winner out after their speech i think look beautiful anyway.haha

11. GLADITSNIGHT.COM February 23, 2009 at 04:19 #

I really didnt like Frieda gown. And I wanted to! I could have sworn Taraji was wearing Monique Lhullier. I so agree about SJP. She looked amazing but her hair should have been coifed.

12. Fernanda Souza February 23, 2009 at 04:21 #

I prefer the John galiano gown in Drew Barrymore. Much more beautiful!

13. Freida lover February 23, 2009 at 04:21 #

Ace azari I agree live her dress!!

Fc felt the exact same about Marions dress!!
    Thank god Anne came back from the dissapointmenta

14. robbie February 23, 2009 at 04:35 #

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS the queen has arrived. looking amazing! everything is just so delicious. i cant stop saying that word whenever i ralk about her.

FC you have made my night thank you :D

15. Danika February 23, 2009 at 05:03 #

I actually agree with you FC Tilda looked beautiful, the photo does not do justice on television she looked even more elegant and statuesque

16. Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 05:04 #

I actually did not like Freida’s gown. It seemed too busy. I think I would change my mind if it did not have the one shoulder sleeve.

17. Paulo February 23, 2009 at 05:06 #

Marisa Tomei totally rocked that Versace dress.

I adore the Dior dress on Freida. Whether or not people agree about Freida’s dress, other young celebrities ought to take a lesson from her fearless, appropriate, and charming style!

18. freida lover February 23, 2009 at 05:14 #

diane and josh <3
    MEryl is a goddess!! She can do no wrong in my book..
    Queen Latifahs on stage dress is stunning too.. so well made for her.

19. Raquel February 23, 2009 at 05:53 #

Honestly, it’s time for Sarah Jessica Parker let Carrie Bradshew go. I looked at that and I thought it was so Carrie like, so like she was dressing for the character and not for herself. It’s a gorgeous dress, it’s perfect, and it’s almost like a costume, because it has Carrie-going-to-the-ball-with-Big written all over it.

I loved Tilda, loved Anne and loved Marisa.

20. ana February 23, 2009 at 06:43 #

fc, wat bout da gown Queen wore on stage? know u r overworked, but just making sure u dont miss dat one..

21. Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 07:16 #

I actually really like Tilda’s outfit. It suited her personality really well, while being fitted and elegant. I never knew her eyes were so green. My favorite look was SJP for sure.

22. Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 07:40 #

nigger

23. ap2009 February 23, 2009 at 07:58 #

Not cool anonymous (starting at 6:40pm)! I adore Tilda!

24. SydneyCheapChic February 23, 2009 at 08:09 #

is someone actually writing that dorogotry remark FC?? how can those comments be allowed… ???

Anyways.. back to Fashion.. Freida would’ve actually been on my worst dressed list.. top of my best dressed list would’ve been (from red carpet.. i haven’t seen presenters yet), Marisa Tomei, Miley Cyrus (although she was doing her pouty face alot again.. grrr!!, Leslie Mann, Evan Rachel Wood, Taraji…

Worst dresses.. definitely agree with Jessica Biel.. how can such a young, beautiful girl with such a hot body and designers at her doorstep not know that she looks very very (x100) below average… I would also agree with Beyonce as second.. but at least Beyonce tried… NOte to Jessica BIel: Do you not understand how many girls would love to be in your position!??! Make the most of it!

25. Fashion Critic February 23, 2009 at 08:09 #

ap2009…it’s that crazy Vanessa Hudgens fan. He/she has been doing it all night.

He/she has no life.

And there is a big surprise coming his/her way very soon.

26. Cry February 23, 2009 at 08:16 #

I think SJP dress is the modified version of this one: http://www.style.it/interactive/img/database/moda/dior043-08070203_base.jpg

27. Cry February 23, 2009 at 08:20 #

This is Marisa Tomei dress: http://www.styleforstyle.it/wp-content/file/versace-atelier-2.jpg

28. noelka07 February 23, 2009 at 08:59 #

Another dissopointing Oscar bash…Where are our favourite stars? Nicole, Cate B, Scarlett, Jeniffer Connely, oh, Charlize.Stars are more and more conservative with years. No crazyness, zero risk, subtile colours, they’re looking like they were 10 years older each. So why do they use all this surgerys, if then they are not brave enough to wear such fantastic gowns – less hollywood, more characteristic, charismatic, self-councious, oryginal. Im so disappointed!
    For me the best one was Heii Klum in Roland Mouret. Pure sex, lady in red. Oh, and Tilda is always Tilda, faithfull to her style.

29. OnCloud9 February 23, 2009 at 10:08 #

as much as i love freida…my best dressed from yesterday has to be penelope cruz…i LOVED what she was wearing

and the next would be a tie between marisa tomei (the bottom part of her dress was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G), freida (of course) and Taraji (her necklace i just couldnt get enough of…and such beautiful makeup)

30. Ling February 23, 2009 at 12:28 #

Have to say I’m a little underwhelmed at all the dresses tonight, although I agree with your Best Dressed List, but nothing really stands out for me compared with previous awards shows this year. A little disappointing but never mind.

31. Death On Two Legs February 23, 2009 at 15:13 #

Great taste, but I would’ve included Angeline, Kate Winslett and Miley Cyrus.

32. Death On Two Legs February 23, 2009 at 15:15 #

Oh yes, Heidi Klum too.

That’s all the additions I have to make =]

But I repeat- Love your taste.

33. ber February 23, 2009 at 15:44 #

Marisa and Taraji were my picks for best dressed. They looks amazing. I know you think Taraji was just ok, but the gown fit her perfectly and the necklace was to die for.

34. Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 16:35 #

Seriously, SJP is in her mid 40′s, the princess look is just embarrassing now. Grow up already!

35. Anonymous February 23, 2009 at 16:36 #

nice way to moderate the thread! (6:40)

36. Anissa February 23, 2009 at 16:38 #

Honestly I thought that SJP and Miley should have swapped dresses (as on dressed too young and the other too mature)…that lovely dress was truely wasted on Miley.

37. FelipeA February 23, 2009 at 18:02 #

I love Freida's dress, but it being Galliano throws me off. The color and embroidery are amazing, but it's too edgy and not girly like i would expect. I wish she would've worn something like this Cavalli (http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2009RTW-RBTOCVLL?event=show1862&designer=design_house126&trend=&iphoto=43). Taraji's is just like Freida's BAFTA dress, and not sexy elegant like her past looks. SJP and Marion could use a lot less tulle on their skirts, plus Marion would've been better with the original top to break the strapless cliché. Marisa and Meryl are finally fabulous, but i wish Marisa's earrings were shaped like Angelina's for a little more color. Natalie has Posh face with that make up, Anne looks a bit harsh with hers, the Queen and Tilda are oustanding, and Penelope is chanelling Audrey in Sabrina

38. drinkupthefashion February 23, 2009 at 20:16 #

FREIDA PINTO LOOKED SO GOOD! AMAZING! BREATHTAKING! <3333 i'm so happy she didn't let us down! it would have been a disaster if this was the one night she looked bad, but she looked soooooooooooooooo beautiful. leslie mann also works that gold really well.

39. Ace Azri February 24, 2009 at 06:59 #

i got to say. after looking at it again. i hated anne dress. its like a step away from last year red gown. and freida look gorgeous but like they said drew wore the dress better.
    love tilda, marion, halle and the queen. final answer.haha

40. Leo February 24, 2009 at 18:47 #

So many I loved, I felt it was a pretty impressive award show in the fashion department. Penelope, Marion, Marissa, Latifah, Natalie, Anne, Tilda, Freida, Meryl. Anne! I miss Sophia Loren here, she was stunning on oscar night too.

41. whitestroke February 28, 2009 at 13:36 #

Freida Pinto – I agree it’s one of the Best Dressed, because it was disappointing overall, but I wasn’t that wowed either. There is just something about her in that dress that, sadly, shows that she ain’t got the perfect figure. And I wish the skirt had more volume, like Drew’s version at the Globes.
    Sarah Jessica Parker – That’s one of the few looks that I really liked. I love the hair, too. She definitely had boob job, though. It’s so obvious in this dress. It looks quite okay, though, she didn’t go overboard with the size. Thank God.
    Anne Hathaway – I hate it. I remember what I said somewhere for that collection. I liked the first half better than the second, and I said that I wouldn’t like to see any of the gowns on the red carpet. I find Armani in general so boring (only Cate can work it in an interesting way!) and I definitely don’t find it as exciting for someone like Anne. Her whole look was so boring. She looks like a stick from head to toe. She used to be one of the curvier actresses, but now that she lost a lot of weight, straight-down dresses like those just emphasize it. She should wear something with volume, like SJP, to give some shape to her body. And on the top of that, her hair was slicked back, too. At least some more interesting hairstyle would give her another dimension.
    Agreed about Natalie and Taraji.
    Marion Cotillard – I wish she wore the original version and ditched the necklace.
    Marisa Tomei – I don’t know why I wasn’t wowed by this either, but she does look exquisite in this gown.
    Penelope Cruz – Her dress grew on me. But I don’t like how the top part looks on her. Ungh. I’m so petty.
    Meryl Streep – This is the best she looked in the last 10 years. I’m not kidding.
    Tilda Swinton – I actually like this now that I see it on still pictures. Looks so much better than it did in motion.