22.02.09

2009 Film Independent Spirit Awards

I love this awards show, as we get so see more a more eclectic and colourful red carpet.

This year the stars didn’t disappoint. Jessica Alba looked so lovely in a stylish lilac Christian Dior Spring 2009 dress, with tan Christian Louboutin Mary Janes.

Her make-up is light, and compliments her dress.

This look is so feminine, I adore her here.

I really like this navy and red striped Michael Kors dress Cameron Diaz is wearing, but – not for the first time – I really don’t think this suits her.

I think it’s way too conservative for her, as she is usually more playful on the red carpet.

Is this the case of a new boyfriend cramping her style? We have seen this before.

And will she please, oh please get those roots done asap.

Lucy Liu opted for a fuschia pink Lanvin Spring 2009 satin dress.

She wore her dress with a clear belt, as not to block the draping effect on her dress.

The look was complete beige Jimmy Choo heels, and a Roger Vivier clutch that matched her dress.

♥

Claire Danes wore a two tone Lanvin Spring 2009 strapless bustier dress, with a gathered skirt.

She decorated her dress with a nude necklace, which was also from the Lanvin Spring 2009 collection.

This is such a sophisticated look for Claire, although I am not sure about the black heels.

Post-pregnancy Michelle Monaghan, continues to rock my world.

She was one of my favourites at this event wearing a Versace Spring 2009 baby blue mini dress, with a bell-shaped skirt, and jeweled strappy sandals.

I expected to see more of this collection on the red carpet other than 3 pieces – January Jones, Gwyneth Paltrow & Michelle – we have seen.

Kerry Washington looks absolutely outstanding in this electric blue Marchesa dress, with an embellished neckline. Although like Claire, I’m not so sure about her shoe choice.

This is a nice Rodarte Spring 2006 dress, but Anne Hathaway is a young girl, who should be experimenting a lot more.

The whole look is too blah. I’m not excited about it at all.

With her last two looks failing to impress, I’m very scared for what she might bring to the Oscars red carpet.

Taraji P. Henson on the other hand continues to impress.

Her Burberry LBD is decorated with embroidered details on the skirt to give it a tiering effect, and this same detail appears on the top of the dress.

She completes her look with black gladiator Pedro Garcia sandals, and a Burberry Prorsum Fall 2008 necklace.

I’m very excited to see what she wears at the Oscars.

Zooey Deschanel adds a black velvet bow to her Lela Rose Spring 2009 shimmering blue dress, which match her eyes.

Her cute clutch was from Moschino, and her heels are Ferragamo.

Michelle Williams wore a simple simple navy, grey and white striped sheath Chloé Resort 2009 dress, with black pumps.

Padma Lakshmi is so incredibly beautiful.

Last night she wore a Giorgio Sant Angelo jersey dress from Decades Inc, which had a white tile pailette detail cascading down the bodice.

I know many of you are not Teri Hatcher fans, but I think she has been having a lot more good days than bad recently.

Her LBD from Monique Lhuillier’s Fall 2009 collection with the sheer panels, is very sophisticated, yet sexy. Plus she doesn’t opt for a predictable black shoe, instead she wore a satin champagne Brian Atwood peep-toe heel.

Her pink clutch is Jimmy Choo and her jewels are by Piaget.

Mena Suvari added a multitude of colour to the red carpet, with this Diane von Furstenberg Spring 2009 maxi dress.

She wore her dress with a larger tan belt, which is thinner than the one which appeared on the runway.

She wore Piaget jewels to complete her look.

This is not the best look for Elizabeth Banks. The skirt is fine, but the rest……

I should be thankful that this Azzedine Alaia chocolate brown dress Penelope Cruz wore is not black, but I am still mourning the loss of her fantastic style, to see this as a positive.

Yikes. The coat Rachel Weisz is wearing doesn’t cover up enough of her floral dress.

I love the fearless Sandra Oh on the red carpet. She opting for this fuschia pink tunic Jenni Kayne Resort 2009 dress with black pumps.

Sandra is already on trend for Fall 09, as we saw a lot of this colour at New York Fashion Week.

Look who is back, not surprisingly wearing black. Ellen Page.

Rose Byrne’s white Calvin Klein Spring 2009 dress, is a perfect fit for her.

She keeps the minimalist look going by opting for plain silver pumps and no jewelery.

The shoulder pads on Mary-Kate Olsen’s Balmain dress are too dominate for my liking. It makes her appear to have no neck.

Her beige heels are by Proenza Schouler.

On the plus-side, she looks very healthy.

Source

Montblanc "Signature for Good" Charity Gala

Montblanc “Signature for Good” Charity Gala

Runway To Red Carpet - End Of The Week Round Up

Runway To Red Carpet – End Of The Week Round Up

35 Comments

35 Responses to 2009 Film Independent Spirit Awards

1. Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 04:27 #

Mary Kate looks like a 90 year old.

Ellen has such a boring sense of style.

Rachel is too old to be dressing like that.

Penelopes dress is nice but something about the tights and shoes just throws it off balance.

I love Michelle williams she always looks so gamine like Audrey Hepburn.

Anne has been looking washed out recently and the dress is too old for her.

Why is Claire Danes’ head always tilted.

The clear belt on lucy just does not work with the dress.

Zooey is always soooo predictable.

BTW I love your blog thanks for all the updates.
    My first post here.

2. Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 04:47 #

“Rachel is too old to be dressing like that.”

What are you talking about? Rachel looks great, probably the best dressed at the awards show.

3. Ace Azri February 22, 2009 at 04:56 #

MK is definitely on trend with the dominance shoulder though.

4. robbie February 22, 2009 at 06:14 #

jessica love the dress and the make-up, hate the hair why did she have to cut her lovely hair? *sobs*

cameron is very blah, but i dont see any problem with her roots, it seems like her trademark these days.

lucy is love! simple as that pure love.

claire is stunning i love it all except the shoes.

michelle is beautiful and that dress is very cute.

kerry BEST DRESSED at this event!

anne is beautiful but i wish she would dress more edgy again.

taraji yet another stunning look for her. i love the necklace.

zooey is nice, but she always dresses like a a little girl going to a tea party. plus TIGHTS *screams bad words*

michelle, is such a cute girl and her dress is perfect for her.

padma is stunning and that dress is beautiful.

teri blah, and her face always scares me it never actually shows any emotion.

mena LOVE the dress, bright fun and flirty.

elizabeth nice colour thats all.

wow penelope WOW… yet another boring look from her.

rachel bad outfit in total, cute bag though.

sandra very bright and summery love the dress.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz… sorry i fell asleep as soon as i saw ellen bo-ri-ng

rose too plain looking

wow mary kate looks bad, she dressing like an old woman but this is old woman going to funeral outfit.

5. Jon Fabulousâ„¢ February 22, 2009 at 07:02 #

Ellen is absolutely, effortlessly, chic.

Mary Kates’ ensemble looks like a rip-off of balmain.

6. Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 07:18 #

What the heck is that thing in Penelope’s hand? Is that supposed to be a clutch? It’s horribly ugly. The dress is nice enough, but why ruin it with brown ish tights and shoes? Eww.

Oh and FC, Teri Hatcher’s dress looks similar to one I saw on style.com from Monique Lhuillier Fall 2009. Just a guess though, you’re better at IDing stuff obviously :).

7. Paulo February 22, 2009 at 07:27 #

I actually really like Anne Hathaway’s Rodarte (from their 2nd collection) but the fit and length should have been altered.

8. Eli February 22, 2009 at 07:36 #

Penelope: WHAT HAPPENED?? I’m glad she didn’t decide to wear another version of her black, velvet dress, but seriously what is she thinking? I don’t know who to blame for her red carpet demise; her stylist or Alaia!

I have similar feelings about Anne Hathaway. She pulled off some stunning, fashion forward looks last year. This year it seems like she’s lost it. It’s all very boring to me. I hope she and Penelope solve their red carpet identity crises before Oscar Night!!!

9. nicole February 22, 2009 at 07:38 #

love jessica, teri, rose and kerry..
    penelope better impress tomorrow this was just such a blah look.

10. Vania February 22, 2009 at 09:31 #

Michelle Williams wore a Chloe Spring 2009

11. Cry February 22, 2009 at 09:34 #

Mary Kate shoes are PROENZA SCHOULER: http://www.jessicastyle.com/proenza-schouler-pic22769.jpg

12. Danika February 22, 2009 at 09:45 #

Michelle Monaghan choice a great soft colour, she looks very feminine and beautiful. As does Jessica Alba who I have been underwhelmed with lately, she looking good again.

13. Danika February 22, 2009 at 09:49 #

btw I am praying that Anne Hathaway does something stunning with her hair at the Oscars, her hair is looking boring lately

14. Nik February 22, 2009 at 10:11 #

MK, why would you want to remind everyone that u have no neck?

Shocker, Terry Hatchetface without an asymmetrical gown.

FC, perhaps Alaia is not what most fashonista’s deem as fashion forward but I absulotely adore every piece of clothing that little man produces…especially on Penelope and Naomi. I for one hope that Miss Cruz continues to frequent Mr.A’s altier. IMHO, Penelope’s taste is maturing quite nicely compared to hollywood contemperoraries (which she is not so hollywood, which I adore about her).

15. misstuesday February 22, 2009 at 10:31 #

I love Claire’s look! :D!

16. Arasto February 22, 2009 at 10:57 #

Wow, you think Cameron looks conservative? I think her dress is way too young for her. It’s soemthing that a young starlet who is fashion savy should wear. It has a sense of irony. Cameron looks like an old lady wearing a young girl’s dress. Bad choice.

17. Crazy/Beautiful February 22, 2009 at 12:34 #

Does anyone else here think Zooey looks like Katy Perry?

Padma Lakshmi looks ridiculous by the way. She has no style whatsoever. The dress is nice but she ruins it by making it look so cheap, like it’s a nightie.
    She looks like she had just got out of bed.But she should have really stayed in it.

18. Flora February 22, 2009 at 12:42 #

I’ve got a feeling that Penelope wore that exact same Alaia dress in black (of course!) to an event a couple of months ago. Fair enough if you like a dress, buy it in two colours, but it would be nice if one of those colours was red, or green, or yellow!

I actually quite like Cameron’s stripey dress, and I don’t think it’s conservative at all. She looks a bit like Dennis the Menace (the original, British version), but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It certainly stands out on the red carpet, and I think it’s rather funky.

Rose Byrne – I wish she would brush her hair! All the pics i’ve seen of her lately she looks as though she’s standing in a wind tunnel.

Mary-Kate: oh dear. Not flattering at all.

I like Michelle Williams whole look – she looks very 60s and cool. I really love dresses with pockets as well, they give a casual, feisty look to the girliest of frocks.

Jessica Alba’s dress looks a bit like a Victoria nightie, and not in a good way.

Sandra Oh is great – I feel like she’s been away for YEARS. Whatever she wears she always stands out from the crowd. There’s definitely a lot of hot pink about at the moment, most of it by McQueen, which I assume this is not?

Can’t wait for tonight! (well, tomorrow, but you know what I mean) Come on Kate, I’ve got forty quid riding on you!

19. Jen February 22, 2009 at 14:55 #

Just wanted to let you know that Michelle Williams’ dress is by Chloe:

20. Fashion Critic February 22, 2009 at 14:55 #

Nik, Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Alaia, I just tire of Cruz wearing it to every event.

21. Fashion Critic February 22, 2009 at 14:57 #

Danika, I agree about Anne’s hair.

I am very scared Anne is going to let me down tonight.

22. shoeaholic February 22, 2009 at 15:03 #

I have to say I like Cameron’s dress and I think she wears it well!

And Claire – wow, her make-up and hair are always so flawless! But I agree with you FC that the black shoes don’t work with the outfit.

Poor Anne, her style is getting increasingly boring.. I keep trying to love it, but she’s making it really hard..

Teri looks so sophisticated!!

And Sandra just made my day – that dress is amazing!

23. Fashion Critic February 22, 2009 at 15:04 #

Thanks a lot Vania and Jen, I was looking for that desperately this morning.

On the Chloé website they call it the Spring collection, but it is before the Summer runway collection, so technically it is the Resort collection.

24. Fashion Critic February 22, 2009 at 15:19 #

Cry – Thanks, I would not have got those in a million years.

Paulo – THANKS so much. Your memory is better than mine.

Appreciated.

25. Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 16:00 #

Hi i posted the first comment on here. I think rachel weisz is a beautiful woman and i dont think she is old. But the outfit looks like something a 19 year old would wear.

26. Rock*Star February 22, 2009 at 17:38 #

Lucy Liu is outstanding !

First the white Giambattista Valli she wore earlier then this Lanvin dress.

The belt is a very Smart choice.

Luv her :*

27. Fashion Critic February 22, 2009 at 18:59 #

Anon 14:19, I agree, the dress is not right for her.

28. whitestroke February 22, 2009 at 20:44 #

I'm so excited for these awards. Ahhh, so many great looks.

Jessica Alba – Absolutely beautiful. That dress looks better than anything that was presented on the runway. I hated that collection.
    Cameron Diaz – While the shape of the dress is conservative for her, the black & red stripes make it quirky and fun.
    Lucy Liu – Great look. She wears it way better than Lily Donaldson.
    Claire Danes – She should have picked more interesting shoes, from that same collection for example, and there is something in the way she poses that I wish she had a clutch to hold onto. It's like she doesn't quite know what to do with hands. With that being said, I like her overall look even more than Lucy's.
    Michelle Monaghan – There are no words enough to describe how much I love this. I love that she wears the shoes from the same collection, too. She simply glows, love the dress and color. Again, wears it 100 times better than Lily. (I don't like Lily in general, she's got the most unflattering body on the runway.)
    Kerry Washington – Underwhelmed. It's a beautiful dress and she doesn't look bad. But next to Michelle's fashion perfection, Lanvin girls and other favs, it's way too safe.
    Anne Hathaway – That doesn't even look like the same dress from the runway. It's like (AGAIN!) 2 sizes too big for her. What is going on with that girl? I did give up on her in the previous post, but little part of me still wanted to see her while scrolling down, and she KILLED it. I am not looking forward to her tonight AT ALL. We're officially divorced.
    Taraji P. Henson – Now, that is someone I'm excited about tonight.
    Zooey Deschanel – Awwww love her. <3 Yes, she always looks like a little girl. That's her thing. And she looked this way years before anyone even knew who Katy Perry is. (Btw, you linked her Lela Rose dress to Christian Dior.)
    Michelle Williams – Love her look. Makes me sad, though. The last time she was at Independent Spirit Awards she also wore Chloé and held hands with Heath Ledger. :(
    Padma Lakshmi – MEH.
    Teri Hatcher – She's like, oh let's ruin the dress by shortening it, and oh, let's put my hair down too, so that people can't see the stunning halter detail that makes this dress.
    Mena Suvari – Lovely. Some other ladies outdid her, though.
    Elizabeth Banks – Where did her neck go?
    Penelope Cruz – What? Where? Who? I'm not looking…
    Rachel Weisz – That dress is awfully familiar but I can't put my finger on it.
    Sandra Oh – I'm sorry but MEH.
    Ellen Page – She's back! *screams in horror* And it doesn't even have to do with her boring style. I just can't stand her as an actress/personality.
    Rose Byrne – Usually looks great in CK but not this time. Love her hair and makeup, though.
    Mary-Kate Olsen – This is not even a fashion rule, as much as pure logic. Cap sleeves/shoulder pads and hand on hip DO NOT go together. I was really annoyed by Amy Adams recently in Jasmine DiMilo, too. With both of her hands on her hips, and cap sleeves just going upwards in an unflattering way. The same goes for Mary-Kate here.

29. Fashion Critic February 22, 2009 at 20:59 #

whitestroke, I think Rachel’s is Phillip Lim, but I can’t find it anywhere to confirm

30. Leo February 22, 2009 at 22:37 #

Lucy Liu looks incredible, and in pink. I think pink can look silly most of the time but she makes it look fresh and she’s glowing. I adored her.

I do like Cameron Diaz’s look. I think it has that cool chic vibe that she is all about.

I’m a bit let down by Anne Hathaway, she looks so washed out.

31. Moi February 23, 2009 at 03:40 #

My favorite are Zooey and Michelle for their simplicity. I also like the draping on Lucy Liu ‘s dress.

32. The Mariah Carey Fashion Style February 23, 2009 at 04:25 #

I’m glad Mariah didn’t make your list of attendees. I’m embarrassed for her. :(

33. Fashion Critic February 23, 2009 at 04:50 #

So was I, which is why I did not feature her.

I don’t know what she was thinking.

I hate dissing her because I really love her.

34. Cry February 23, 2009 at 09:11 #

These are the shoes worn by Jessica Alba: http://www.jessicastyle.com/christian-louboutin-wallis-mary-jane-pumps-pic22768.jpg

35. cry February 24, 2009 at 23:37 #

Olsen’s purse is also a Schouler: http://www.barneys.com/PS1%20Python%20Pouchette/00460104080634,default,pd.html