19.02.09

Marchesa Fall 2009

When I received my invitation for the Marchesa Fall 2009 collection, I knew the presentation would exceed all my expectations, and it did.

It was a cold and rainy day, but once I entered the Chelsea Art Museum, where the collection was presented, it was like being transported into a fairy tale wonderland. A wonderland consisting of fou fou cocktail dresses and evening gowns with many layers, mounds of tulle, embellishments and satin bows.

Models were perched on pedestals, like works of art – which they were – at a gallery. This enabled us to look at the clothes up close, and get to see them from all angles.

First up were a selection of 3 nude dresses. All beautiful in their own unique way.

The colours seemed to be grouped together as I made my way around the museum. Those colours ranged from nudes, to blacks, to plums, to greys to scarlet.

I loved so many of these pieces I found it hard to pick just one. The lilac chiffon draped strapless dress was one, and the glittering black gown, which had a black satin bow, and a tiered silver embellished skirt was another. I would love to see that gown on Anne Hathaway this Sunday.

I said Hi to Georgina Chapman, who is impossibly beautiful in real life. She greeted me like an old friend with two kisses on each cheek, and shaking my hand, which was so sweet.

I told her about my blog, and she said that I was in the right place, and I couldn’t have agreed with her more.

I asked her if we will see any of these gowns on the red carpet on Oscar night, to which she replied “I hope so. It’s all so nerve-racking. You hope an actress is going to wear your gowns. But in the end you have to wait to see what she arrives in on the red carpet.”

I don’t know about you, but after looking at this collection. I think it is safe to say at least 3 will make it on Sunday.

This was my best experience this week.

As I said, impossibly beautiful Georgina Chapman, the designer of this collection, looked stunning in an all black self-designed ensemble. Her black sheer tunic was embellished, and her black satin capped sleeved jacket and pants, were presented in this Fall collection.

Her partner Keren Craig also wore black, but her sheer tunic was embellished around the neckline.

Shame on you Diane Kruger for wearing glasses inside, especially when the rooms were so dimly lit.

Helena Christensen smouldered in a black tunic Marchesa dress, with embellished details on the neckline and sleeves.

You would not know it by looking at this picture, but Taylor Momsen was wearing a lot of make-up. I guess it was stage make-up that doesn’t looked caked on in pictures and on TV.

She wore a sequined Marchesa blazer with a white tank, leather pants and red Louboutin’s.

Source

Maggie Gyllenhaal In Vionnet - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Maggie Gyllenhaal In Vionnet – The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

2009 Brit Awards - Worst Dressed

2009 Brit Awards – Worst Dressed

25 Responses to Marchesa Fall 2009

1. Joy February 19, 2009 at 03:47 #

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful… they took my breath away

2. ber February 19, 2009 at 03:55 #

The blacks, the nudes, the purples…I can’t decide which are my favorites!

3. Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 04:13 #

Are you going to any more hows this season? Paris, London, Milan?

4. Mari February 19, 2009 at 04:18 #

New favorite list on the way…

5. nicole February 19, 2009 at 04:23 #

wow absolutely stunning!!! i could not pick a favourite ..i can just picture the dresses on the red carpet… the detailing and the fabrics are sensational.

and georgina is gorgeous… glad you had the chance to talk to her.

6. Payal February 19, 2009 at 04:27 #

Are we missing pictures? You mention ‘looking at this picture’ of Taylor…

7. robbie February 19, 2009 at 06:17 #

gorgeous collection. i really really really love those top 4 dresses you have. especially the white and gold (i think that is the colour, dont have my glasses on) i would kill to own that dress.

all the other gowns are just simply stunning like all marchesa gowns.

such a shame the celebs look terrible, even diane. taylor looks okay but the make-up is just boring. sadly even georgina doesnt look all that good and normally she looks stunning.

FC can i ask were all the shoes in this collection all by louboutin? do you know if they were specially made for marchesa, or whether they are on sale.

8. bigdreams88 February 19, 2009 at 09:55 #

wow thats a beautiful collection!!
    man im soo Jealous you get to go to theses shows!
    How did you get the tickets?
    Im so over Taylor Momsen her looks is soo..meh
    You are soo lucky you got to talk to Georgina Chapman gah!!!

9. Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 11:09 #

I can’t really say Diane Kruger is one of my faves, though she is always interesting on the red carpet, but I get a sneaking suspicion she was taking the piss out of Paris and Nicky Hilton with those sunglasses. She is an actress afterall, and I think she might have been having some fun. Who knows? It’s that smirk on her face that makes me think so.

10. Terry February 19, 2009 at 13:58 #

Stunning collection!

11. Dana February 19, 2009 at 15:05 #

I am in LOVE with Marchesa. Every collection makes me fall in love even more. The beading, floatiness, attention to detail, gorgeous fabric! I can only dream of wearing one of those gowns.

The only thing is… I actually think they will look better on celebrities on the red carpet then those models. They are very plain-looking and way too thin. The clothes of course outshine the models, but imo they are not great to look at. Does anyone agree?

12. Paula February 19, 2009 at 17:16 #

I totally agree with you, Dana. And this is not the first time Marchesa uses such “unusual” models.

13. Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 17:16 #

FC we’re waiting for you to answer us!! :)

14. Moi February 19, 2009 at 17:36 #

Yeah this is really pretty and as you said, it really looks like Oscar material. I can’t wait to see some of it on Sunday!

15. whitestroke February 19, 2009 at 17:46 #

FC, are these your own shots of the models? Because I like them much better than the ones from Style.com and they made me appreciate this collection much more.

16. Fashion Critic February 19, 2009 at 18:50 #

hey whitestroke. yep, all model pictures were taken by me.

17. Dana February 19, 2009 at 18:56 #

thanks paula!
    it was just my first reaction

FC what do you think? im curious for your opinion

18. Fashion Critic February 19, 2009 at 18:59 #

Robbie the shoes are all Louboutin’s

19. Fashion Critic February 19, 2009 at 19:05 #

i am more into the dresses than the models, so I am neutral to how they look

20. Dana February 19, 2009 at 20:04 #

oh of course i am too.
    it just hit me

21. Evanthe February 19, 2009 at 20:17 #

The collection makes me sigh. They are just too beautiful.

22. yerdeh February 20, 2009 at 23:45 #

oh my god I loved this!! thanks for posting this up. everyone wants a vera wang for their wedding dress, but mine has got to be a marchesa :)

23. whitestroke February 22, 2009 at 16:13 #

Thanks for answering. ;) Your shots are amazing. They did a good thing inviting you to the show.

24. Fashion Critic February 22, 2009 at 18:58 #

whitestroke, it was without fail the best day of my life.

25. ~*~DiV@~*~ February 23, 2009 at 22:48 #

Hello FC! I stumbled across your Blog and thought I might add some interesting flare to your page.

Everyone has the idea that the labeled designer is the one who creates all the clothes that our stars wear to every fancy Hollywood gathering. Well to my surprise as well as others; there is much detail overlooked by the typical fashion follower. I am proud to mention that my Mother-in-Law has a flare for fashion in this industry and is a part of every Hollywood “Red Carpet” affair! She has worked for many years in New York for some top name “Fine Apparel Designers” like Marchesa. There is a lot that goes into just one dress from the types of fabric to selecting the perfect beads or sequins for each gown. My Mother-in-Law is a fabric designer and sample maker. She works side by side with Georgina Chapman to create or sometimes re-create dresses in the Marchesa collection which our movie stars will wear for these annual events. (Marchesa collection is also sold at Neiman’s, Saks 5th and Bergdoff Goodman in NY.)

Vanessa Hudgens wore a beautiful dress to the 2009 Oscars, which is a perfect example of how the fine apparel designers have to sometimes re-create one of their own designs to satisfy the “Hollywood Star” customer. (Personally I think this black dress Vanessa wore was actually much more attractive than the first one created for the 2009 Spring Collection.) For various reasons you have seen this to be a popular trend among entertainers…requesting a certain look or style but also requesting a dress made by a favorite and popular well known designer, therefore in order to please the Hollywood customer, the designer will do what they can to quickly make alterations to an already suited fine gown. This gives the Hollywood Star the best of both worlds: A unique tailored look to fit their own personality and of course the designer name behind it! As impressionable as we all are- we wait with enthusiasm to see what will be worn by our favorite stars to these annual red carpet events.

It is very stressful for the designer as well as the Hollywood star to make sure “the dress” comes out perfect and on-time. It is crazy just how much everyone needs to be noticed in this industry. My Mother-in-Law is flown back and forth from the Dominican Rep. to New York for every red carpet affair. She retired a few years ago but her work and designs are still loved by so many stars, that Marchesa keeps her coming back. Now that the Oscars are over, she flies back today and The Big Apple will call on her again to do her magic for those special Hollywood stars  I love my Mother-In-Law, she’s so cool!

All the hype at my house is when our daughter is old enough to go to big formal events…my Mother-in-Law will use her talents to create fantastic, red carpet, talk of the town, designer style formal gowns and let’s not forget every girls dream to have the most beautiful wedding dress in the world!