10.02.09

2009 Elle Style Awards

Anna Friel should have really taken the subtle hint from her Viktor & Rolf Fall 2008 dress which was telling her. NO.

No this will not look good on you.

My other problem is that Anna should have really considered a bra, because the twins are not holding up too well, and they’re also smuggling raisins.

The black statement one-shouldered gown over a nude underlay, was embellished with staples.

On the plus side, her hair and make-up was really nice.

Courtney Love wore my favourite dress from the Givenchy Spring 2009 Couture show I attended a few weeks ago.

I am glad that someone with a bit of character and attitude wore this gown, because only someone like her or Madonna can pull this off.

The long draped black gown has a shrug with puff ball shoulders, which are embellished with flower petals, that work their way down the sleeves.

Freida Pinto wore a black Chanel Resort 2009 dress, with a floral embellished see-through yoke.

I am not a fan of sheer yoke’s, but I would have preferred it to this plastic yoke.

She completed the look with gorgeous black strappy heels, whilst styling her hair in a chic updo.

Unfortunately, I don’t like this look. Maybe the runway belt would have helped, but I think I’m just clutching at straws.

My ray of shining light Thandie Newton didn’tt let me down. The British actress made a welcome return to the red carpet.

Last night she wore a multi-coloured Jonathan Saunders Spring 2009 floaty dress with a layered skirt.

She wore her dress with gold strappy sandals, and added a touch of crimson to her lips.

As much as I love Thandie, she has made 4 recent red carpet appearances, but her hairstyle has remained the same. Maybe she is having a bad hair week, but she needs to switch it up for next time.

Alexa Chung opted to wear a navy dress, which is very similar to the Chanel dress Emma Watson wore recently.

Sienna Miller like Marion Cotillard, was one of my red carpet favourites. But when I look at her in this ruffled green Matthew Williamson dress, and Louis Vuitton black tuxedo jacket with feathered shoulders, I just say meh! so what?

It just doesn’t move me. She just doesn’t move me anymore.

The gorgeous and impeccably dress Naomie Harris, walked the red carpet wearing a Dolce & Gabbana black strapless corset dress.

Singer Heidi Range wore RM by Roland Mouret ensemble which included an off-the-shoulder top. She accessorized with black peep-toes, a black clutch and a gigantic black bangle.

She was accompanied to the event by her boyfriend presenter Dave Berry.

Pixie Geldof’s LWD exposes the fact that her deodorant has run out.

Roisin Murphy has to be wearing the widest pants I have ever seen.

They’re from the Armand Basi One Spring 2009 collection, and her top is from the Givenchy Spring 2009 collection.

Alexandra Burke is new to the red carpet after winning the X Factor before Christmas.

I’m sure she already has a hair and make-up team, who are doing a fairly good job, but she needs to fire her stylist.

This nautical inspired black and white striped sequined D&G Spring 2009 tunic with a red sail boat, gets nil points from me.

Matthew Williamson’s show was one of my favourite shows of the entire Spring 2009 season. I covet every piece that was presented.

Radio and TV presenter Edith Bowman made really hard work of this Spring 2009 graphic print dress.

She made it look so frumpy, and totally undesirable.

On the plus side Natalie Imbruglia has returned to her natural roots.

The negative is her RM by Roland Mouret Chevalier fitted jacket and black pants.

It was an attempt at something new which I respect, but I would urge her to stick to cute dresses and flowing gowns.

This does not suit her at all.

Alice Dellal no doubt turned heads in this see-through black dress with fishnet tights.

Here are the winners on the night:

Best Actress – Freida Pinto

Poppy Delevingne & Alexa Chung for THE EDIT

Poppy Delevingne & Alexa Chung for THE EDIT

Runway To Red Carpet - End Of The Week Round Up

Runway To Red Carpet – End Of The Week Round Up

23 Responses to 2009 Elle Style Awards

1. carrie @ bloomacious.com February 10, 2009 at 04:42 #

well this is an interesting group of outfits – what happened to anna friel?

2. Eli February 10, 2009 at 05:02 #

Anna Friel looks really awful. That look is just too severe. It’s verging on gothic. I love that Givenchy dress. I agree with you FC; I would have loved to see Madonna in that gown, but not Courtney Love

3. freida lover February 10, 2009 at 05:02 #

wow definitely some crazy outfits.
    loved Freida’s hair/ makeup and the shoes but yeah the plastic did not work.

Nicole

4. WendyB February 10, 2009 at 05:05 #

I can’t rag on anyone for sweating…I’m a profuse sweater :-(

5. robbie February 10, 2009 at 05:12 #

i actually think anna looks pretty nice, i just wish she had worn a bra though.

courtney, wow she looks amazing, this is the best she has looked for quite a while.

freida is stunning, im so jealous of this girl.

thandie was truly a bright star that night, she looks great, but her hair is boring.

alexa very chic and simple.

seinna is pretty, but im still bored of her boho kinda style she has.

naomie simply stunning, simple, but effortlessy chic.

heidi, quite nice but nothing overly special or wowing.

pixie, what a ****ing mess, seriously why the hell is she there? she isnt a celebrity. her and her sister have ZERO style or class.

roisin, fabulous, she seems to have vanished form the red carpet for quite a while.

alexandra *yawn*

edith, love the dress shame it is on her. ugly shoes. i would have looked so much better :P lol.

natalie, is cute but it just seems to head teacher like for her, she is much better in flosy girly dresses.

alica, just screams skank and tranny. come on seriously your at the ELLE STYLE AWARRDS at least have some frickin style. UGLY HAIR!

6. Nik February 10, 2009 at 05:42 #

Roisin Murphy — what shoes is she wearing? Does she have cage heels that says YSL?

7. Anonymous February 10, 2009 at 08:19 #

For a Style-Awards event it was quite unstylish…

Anna Friel hair and make-up are divine, but she looks uncomfotable in this strange dress. Thandie could wear a rucksack and she’d look fantastic, Naomie Harris and Heidi Range both look good and event-appropriate. I love Freida, but this plastic thing makes me think of psychiatric facility…

Dominika

8. Lady Of Style February 10, 2009 at 09:18 #

Woman of the Year – Courtney Love???

Just as confusing as Alice Dellal’s dress

9. Rimini February 10, 2009 at 09:18 #

I think Alex is wearing D&G

10. Fashion Critic February 10, 2009 at 10:01 #

Niki, the YSL caged shoes are square cut.

11. Janie February 10, 2009 at 11:19 #

Courtney love looks like Maddonna and no that is not meant as a complement. To Either of them! lol

12. Lady Of Style February 10, 2009 at 11:28 #

Sienna Miller is wearing Matthew Williamson with a Louis Vuitton blazer.

13. Fashion Critic February 10, 2009 at 11:34 #

Thanks Lady of Style. I am in the hairdressers so I will up date the links later.

14. Flora February 10, 2009 at 11:36 #

Katy Perry wore that D & G dress last Autumn. She looked just as bad in it as Alexandra does. You need some personality to pull off something like that. I think Alexa Chung or Roisin Murphy would have done a good job, maybe with some quirky accessories.

15. Ace Azri February 10, 2009 at 14:02 #

women of the year 0.0 – courtney love. shocking!
    anyway i love roisin look. cool look.

16. Fashion Critic February 10, 2009 at 14:07 #

Elle UK has a girl crush on Courtney ever since she appeared on their cover.

17. Jules O'Connell February 10, 2009 at 15:48 #

uuuh – I spy Chanel S07 shoes on Piexie

18. FLora February 10, 2009 at 16:40 #

I think Jamie King wore Alexa’s dress to the LA premiere of The Spirit – and I think you’re right, it definitely looks like Chanel. Quite understated for Alexa.

I wish to God Pixie Geldof would restyle her hair. Actually, I wish she would just go away altogether, but the hair would be a start.

19. Raquel February 10, 2009 at 16:43 #

Freida’s sandals are to die for. I hate the plastic on her dress, but other than that it is a really pretty outfit. I hope we see more of her once the Slumdog Millionaire rush calm down.

Alice Dellal looks… words fail me. It’s all kinds of wrong.

20. whitestroke February 10, 2009 at 16:53 #

Best Music – Kings of Leon
    Well, I’m glad to hear that. :P

Hmpf. Quite disappointing. My favs were Alexa Chung (cute litte dress that suits her. I especially loved the back that was so unexpected judging by the front!) Emilia Fox (don’t know what she wore, but she looked nice!) and Roisin Murphy (that’s just fashion-crazy at its best!)

Anna Friel turns it into something that dress definitely wasn’t about. I never understood women who have this obsession to put everything they can off-the-shoulder. Looks 1000 times better on the runway.
    I’m sorry Freida, but that’s just hideous. It’s dresses like those that don’t make me a Chanel fan. I don’t even like the shoes. And she seems to be missing her neck again.
    Jonathan Saunders was one of my fav Spring 2009 collections. Unfortunately, I don’t like the way Thandie wears it here AT ALL.
    Sienna just has WAY too much going on with those two busy separates. I’d choose either one or the other.

21. Sade February 10, 2009 at 21:23 #

Love loooove Heidi Rangeis outfit, the neckline is just mwah!

Alexandra Burke just blended into the background….whyyyyy?

22. Lady Of Style February 10, 2009 at 21:37 #

Alexa Chung’s dress reminds me of the Chanel gown Vanessa Paradis wore last year to the Oscars.
    ElleUk.com reports that it was custom-made for her.

23. Fashion Critic February 10, 2009 at 22:25 #