2009 Grammy Awards – Best Dressed

Best Dressed Award
Pretty pink strapless gowns seem to be the order of the day. First worn by Freida Pinto at the BAFTAs, now this gorgeous pink Basil Soda gown has been worn by Katy Perry.

The structure of the gown is exquisite, as I have come to appreciate from Lebanese designers.

The satin ruffle piece on the front of the gown doesn’t bother me, the retro hair fits the look, the pink lips are simply divine, and the subtle Jacob & Co jewels don’t over cook this look.

Most Unexpected Award
When I saw Jennifer Hudson arrive on the red carpet wearing a colour-block RM by Roland Mouret Trenet high neck dress I must admit I was very shocked.

If there was a line of 100 dresses, I would have picked this last for her, but she more than does it justice – and this is not any kind of sympathy vote.

This really is a statement dress, with 3 tones including a white high neck bodice, a grey contrast pleated peplum around the waist, and a dark navy pencil skirt.

Thankfully the hair is pulled back to show off the dress, and her blue suede shoes are Christian Louboutin Declic Suede Pumps. I personally would have preferred a strappy sandal.

Best One-Shouldered Dress Award
Zooey Deschanel stepped out of the box, and tried something new with this cute lilac Luella Spring 2009 dress.

There is much going on with the chiffon layer, the floral appliqué on the shoulder, and the skirt with the draped detail, but this does not overwhelm Zooey.

She wears this dress very confidently, and it suits her kooky style.

The lilac tights I like, the black peep-toes I don’t like.

Best Strapless & Ruffles Award
Sara Bareilles also wore a pink strapless dress from the Luisa Beccaria Spring 2009 collection. It’s so angelic, and I love the red accents.

She completes her look with a Daniel Swarovski silver clutch.

Most Improved Award
After her Cavalli dress at the Pre-Grammy party, Miley Cyrus couldn’t get any worst.

I was pleasantly surprised in her choice of this charming Hervé Léger by Max Azria Fall 2008 asymmetrical gown, and I loved her hairstyle too.

Miley seemed very calm on the red carpet. No over-the-top poses, no obnoxious comments. I was very impressed by her maturity.

What No Bling? Award
Miley’s new BFF Taylor Swift, love for embellished dress was replaced by this Kaufman Franco black jersey gown, with wrap around patent leather strapping.

Continues To Be One To Watch Award
Kim Kardashian’s white/silver Toni Maticevski Spring 2009 dress was very cute, sassy and not at all trashy choice.

I love the organza detailing, which gives the dress a lot of shape and definition.

She worked her look with a pair of silver Christian Louboutin Fortuna slingbacks.

Best Use of Colour Award
I love a burst of colour on the red carpet, and Letoya Luckett certain provide it, with her fuchsia pink mini dress, multi-coloured snake-skin clutch and baby blue pumps.

Best Asymmetrical Gown Award
Looking a lot less bronze than she did the day before, Sheryl Crow looked amazing wearing a water-mix blue Toni Maticevski gown.

I love the slightly ruched bodice.

Golden Girl Award
Carrie Underwood glowed on the red carpet in a gold beaded tulle slip gown from the Zuhair Murad Resort 2009 collection, which she wore with a matching golden Nancy Gonzalez clutch.

I knew she could not stay away from this type of look for long.

It Should Not Have Worked, But It Did Award
Janelle Monae’s equestrian themed look was very charming.

I especially loved the white high collared pleated blouse.

Better With The Coat On Award
Anna Wintour was styling Adele for this event, so there were high hopes.

The Barbara Tfank LBD was nice enough, but I loved the look with the green coat.

Best Colour Block Award
LeAnn Rimes’ Philosophy Spring 2009 dress is so cute, I have to own it.

I love the cerulean blue top half, the heavily embellished waist, and the chiffon khaki skirt. Such a young and fresh look for the singer.

Best Re-Run Award
Iman has already worn this Rachel Roy Spring 2009 strapless dress, which had a embellished bodice and a tulip skirt. Jennifer Nettles wears it equally well.

Just OK Award
Apart from the Princess Leia hair style Audrina Patridge looks nice enough wearing a teal Tadashi strapless column gown with pleated bodice.

The Hills star walked the carpet Hans Solo.

See what I did there?

CLICK HERE for the Worst Dressed.

Source

28 thoughts on “2009 Grammy Awards – Best Dressed

1. nicole

some good looks. wasnt wowed by any in particular. i loved kim k’s look she rocked the red carpet. Miley definitely could not get any worse from yesterday, i liked her loook better than taylor’s whos was very blah.
    im sad beyonce wasnt there :(

2. Anonymous

Audrina’s dress is very reminiscent of her red Alexander Mcqueen. She’s incredibly boring.

I absolutely adore Leanne Rimes’ Ferretti dress. And Jennifer Hudson totally rocked the RM dress.

I thought Katy Perry’s hair and makeup was a bit too harsh and heavy.

xx

3. Kelly

Wow — Katy Perry is breathtaking! And Kim K, who I had previously written off as a fashion disaster really is becoming quite fashionable!

4. DCDiva

When you’re wishing for Macy Gray to show up in her “Buy My Record” dress, that pretty much says it all. Lots of WTF? but not many Wows. Jennifer Hudson looked good though her shoes were too chunky but I liked the color contrast. Katy Perry was too pink and frou frou; very prom-y, no? Miley’s was OK but I thought it was too old for her, as usual. And some of the looks were just too formal for that event (I totally agree with your OTT pick on that front.) Honestly, how can they do this to fashion?! *weeps*

5. Raquel

Old glamour is easy, SASSY old glamour is hard, kudos to Kate for achieving that.

Jennifer Hudson looks great and I’m happy to see her back after so much tragedy in her life.

It’s not that I don’t like Miley and Taylor, it is just that they are teens and I can see any other older actress/singer wearing the same dresses.

Kim’s dress deserved to be longer. The short lenght kills it for me. BUT it’s such an improvement.

6. Ace Azri

i personally love kim k look the most. she dun look like she is trying too hard. and i have to agree with some of the comments at the top. the dress miley wore seems to mature for her. cos i keep remembering the first season of project runway where michael kors said that austin gown was too much for the grammys. a simple cute dress will work. and leanne dress was incredible.lol

7. robbie

katy is pretty cute, nice dress but the satin detail puts me off a little.

jennifer wow, very unpredictable for her. so great to see her grace the red carpet again.

zooey, is cute but its too princess like.

sara kinda cute, but nothing special.

miley, cute but kinda boring. i dont see the point in her wearing a necklace since it is hidden under the dress.

taylor *yawns* went frim fab to just plain drab.

kim perfection, very edgy and not a sign of anything trashy. well done kim.

letoya such a cute dress.

cheryl is alot better than before.

carrie looks pretty nice.

janelle WTF!

adele, okay so anna wintour styled this look, such a boring look, no wonder US vogue is rather dull.

leann cute i suppose.

dont know the one wearing rachel roy, but she is pretty.

lol princess leia, nice dress.

8. The Craziest of Being Me...

Katy looks great, love everything! Kim is also stunning. Miley & Taylor look really nice & mature, just wondering when Miley is gonna dress right, ther she is.

I couldn't agree with Zooey. That's one of the worst dress tonight for me. Sheryl's dress is just ok, but when she's on stage with LeAnn, Sheryl's just die.

9. Danika

Kate Perry looked stunning! Very 1940′s-esque. I never knew she could look that good, huge improvement on the pre-grammy outfit she wore.Thanks for your hard work fashion critic xox

10. Anonymous

Katy Perry – hands down, the best dressed of the night. Who would say? Absolutely stunning.

Jennifer Hudson – amazing, i’m in love with this dress and the whole look. Her face is gorgeous.

Zooey Deschanel – i don’t like this, this dress looks like it was washed up many times and lost its original colour.

Sara Bareilles – i don’t like this one either.

Miley Cyrus – hmm, well it’s nice, but nothing special.

Taylor Swift – this is a gorgeous dress, but i just can’t stand black on the red carpet. Sorry, i can’t help myself.

Kim Kardashian – wow, absolutely gorgeous. I adore this!

Letoya Luckett – it’s nice from a far, but i don’t like the colour and the material looks cheap.

Sheryl Crow – Sheryl looks good, but the dress looks too big, there’s too much going on in the upper part.

Carrie Underwood – this is absolutely stunning. Zuhair Murad can do no wrong in my eyes.

Janelle Monae – no, no, no. I hate this look.

Adele – Anna Wintour styled her? I thought she had more fashion sense than this, because this is all sorts of horrible.

LeAnn Rimes – at first i thought WTF? but it has grown on me.

The girl wearing Rachel Roy dress looks amazing.

Audrina Patridge – she always looks like trash no matter what she wears, some people just don’t have that X factor.

Electra.

11. Anonymous

Love LeAbb’s and Jennifer Hudson’s looks – great!!!

as for Sheryl Crow – soemthing doesn’t work with the top of the dress for me, but the colour is great :)

Lexa

12. Ling

Love Kim K and Sara Bareilles dresses. I didn’t recognise Audrina Patridge has she done something to her face?? Where’s Rihanna, was she not at the Grammy’s?

13. Ruthless MEME

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Katy Perry’s dress from last night……. she was STUNNING……. I have always liked her style….. but she was a hit and miss…… but last night….. she was DEFINATELY a hit…….. I’m in love wit’ fashion from Lebanon……

Jennifer Hudson…. I wasn’t too keen on her dress…… I thought it was a lil’ too much goin’ on…… but considerin’ what she’s been through…… she did look great overall…….

Kim Kardashian…… I thought it was just too much at the hem of her skirt…… it was just too much goin’ on there……..

Miley and Taylor Swift…… both of them looked great……

Carrie Underwood……. her dress was GORGEOUS…..

Letoya Luckett……. looked very cute….. I’ve met her before….. and I never new how much style she had……….

Janelle Monae…… I swear….. she wears the same outfit over and over and over again…….. but she didn’t look too bad……

14. Anonymous

The blonde rerunning Imans Rachel Roy dress is Jennifer Nettles of country duo Sugarland. They won several awards last night and performed with Adele.

15. Ruthless MEME

And unfortunately…… Rihanna couldn’t come…… I’m mad because I couldn’t be able to critique how she much looks like Prince…….

16. Fashion Critic

Ling, Chris Brown was arrested last night after allegedly beating up a woman. The woman is unnamed but everyone now thinks it is Rihanna as she did not perform either.

17. Anonymous

Audrina’s dress looks very similar to one by alexander mc’Queen….I think the hairstyle is a bit 2 much too

18. Mrs Mo

My favorite of the night was Sarah Barailles’ dress. I love the pink and red combo. I still think Miley is dressing too old for her, but her makeup was fresher and better for her. I liked Katy Perry’s dress, but I could see her doing more of a Dita Von Tesse look..more of a 40s/50s party dress look.

19. Ruthless MEME

Did Dita Von Teese or Christina Aguliera wear that Basil Soda dress as well?????…….. I’ve seen it before….. or one similar to it……..

20. Leo

Adelle looks great with the coat, without it she looks like a nun.

I didn’t love anyone on the red carpet. I almost loved Jennifer Hudson but I have a problem with the fit of that dress on her.

The rest is not much impressive.

21. whitestroke

Excuse me, did I miss something? Was Star Wars the official theme of the Grammys red carpet?

I’m not impressed. Not impressed AT ALL. Like I said before, I’m not a fan of singers’ style in general. They’re always either way out there with the ridiculousness or they go for that kitschy glammed up look that is so overkilled by now. The only one I like is Zooey. I loved that collection, Luella dress suits her cute/quirky/baby doll style she’s been sporting for years. She was there because she’s a singer too, but we could thank her actress side for this decent look, I guess.

Oh I like Letoya Luckett, too. The combo of colors is DELICIOUS.

22. Nat

omg im so excited to see such good feedback for katy perry's outfit!
    she's definitely a hit and miss for me too…but im her biggest fan (music wise!) so im very happy to see her on the best dress list!
    im so impressed! good job mr.Wujek! (katy's stylist) such an improvement from NRJ French radio music award thing (when she wore white D&G suit)!!!

:D im so very happy now lol