Salute To Icons: Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party

I really struggle with Miley Cyrus when it comes to her style on the red carpet.

I do like this Roberto Cavalli Spring 2009 mini dress. It was one of the very few pieces I actually liked from this collection, but I don’t feel Miley has the panache to pull it off.

I feel like she picked it out of her mother closet, and is playing dress-up.

This dress also needs the wearer to pull their hair right back off their face and shoulders, because the pretty detail on the front is lost under her hair.

Plus, the way she is showing off the layered and ruffled skirt at the back is way too proactive for my liking.

Gucci Ambassador Rihanna, picked one of the floaty strapless maxi dress from their Spring 2009 collection to walk the red carpet.

Although the dress, does not quite fit with her current bad-ass image, it looks very pretty on her despite her twins looking very squashed.

This look is slightly edgier than we would expect from Taylor Swift.

She pulls off this Collette Dinnigan Spring 2009 LBD with silver sequin embellishments with a style and charisma that fellow teen Miley just doesn’t possess.

I would’ve liked to have seen her hair straight with this dress.

Estelle wore a nude Fendi Spring 2009 tunic, with latex leggings, and black peep-toes.

Katy Perry wore a lilac mini dress from couture designer Georges Chakra.

The dress had a sheer yoke, which was embellished like the rest of the dress. I’m not normally a fan of sheer yokes, but in this case it looks like it’s needed to keep Katy’s twins under control.

The tulle hem is divine.

Regular readers will know my frustrations with Leona Lewis and wearing tights on the red carpet. No matter the event, and no matter what she is wearing, she is guaranteed to be wearing them.

This for me puts a downer on her Reem Acra Pre-Fall 2009 LBD, with it’s silver embellished halter detail. What also puts me off this dress, is the quite unnecessary piece at the back of the dress.

The only saving grace, is her make-up and her stunning sparkling clutch.

Carrie Underwood is usually all about bright colours and heavy embellishments, so imagine my surprise to see her tone down her red carpet look with this Pamella Roland Spring 2009 black and silver beaded dot dress.

It’s nice to see her versatility on the red carpet.

Jennifer Hudson’s Balenciaga heels are to-die-for. I have to own these.

Jennifer arrived with Clive Davis on the red carpet wearing a Todd Lynn LBD, and looked flawless. I especially loved her eye make-up.

Terri Seymour redeemed herself from her hideous crimped hair last week, to a wavy style which suits her better.

The TV presenter looked ever-so-cute wearing a strapless yellow and navy printed DKNY Spring 2009 mini dress, which she wore with Christian Louboutin Mary Janes.

Pregnancy definitely agrees with Kimora Lee Simmons, as her look has soften from the less desirable ensemble she wore pre-pregnancy.

She walked the red carpet with her baby-daddy actor Djimon Hounsou wearing a ABS for Peas In A Pod gown, with a rosette detail on the shoulder.

Tattoo’s aside I really like this lavender dress on Fantasia, which she wears with a Mary Norton clutch.

Sheryl Crow’s tan is almost as dark as her bronze Ports 1961 dress, which she also wears with a Mary Norton clutch.

For some unknown reason Keyshia Cole decided to show off her leg in every picture on the red carpet.

Nice dress, shame about her desperate attempts to be noticed.

Great colour on Kelly Clarkson. I would have but money on her wearing black, but she opted for this perwinkle blue gown instead.

Boo to Duffy for letting us Brits down at this event by looking so plain.

Seeing this picture Whitney Houston gives me chills, as it takes me back to 1987, when I was totally in love with Whitney, and I would single along to her songs like a deluded contestant on American Idol.

If you weren’t aware like Britney, Whitney’s back. Both in spirit and in song. I just wish she hadn’t sported road-kill to perform at this event.

Source & Source

24 thoughts on “Salute To Icons: Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party

1. mila

Did Kelly Clarkson gain some weight???I dont really like Rihanna but I have to say that she looks amazing…That Gucci dress is as always breathtaking!!Altough I have to agree that her twins are kinda squashed in this dress.Taylor Swift is gorgeous…

2. Leslie

Being a huge Roberto Cavalli fan, i can’t help but love Miley’s mini dress. It’s fun, fresh and really works for me.

I’m happy to see Taylor in something other than solid silver or gold but I wish she would ditch the metallics for just one red carpet event!! They look great against her but I feel like she’s ALWAYS wearing them. Am I overreacting or do you agree?

Side note, I check your blog for updates at least five times a day. Haha I just love IT.

3. Fashion Critic

Leslie, you make a VERY good point, and it is one I had not picked up on so thanks for that. I will look out for what she wears tonight.

4. Hayley

Woah! Kelly Clarkson is looking big. Taylor Swift looks gorgeous in her rock chick dress. Terri Seymour also looked really cute. Miley Cyrus is just repulsive.

5. Anonymous

So glad for Whitney! And Jen Hudson! Hope the good times will last!
    As I’ve always said, singers should look up to their silver-screen colleagues. Grammy Awards??So far, this looks more like Granny Awards.
    I expected more from Duffy. That LBD is just dull.
    Kelly Clarkson still looks like an average ”American Idol” contestant. Sadly, that’s a;; I can say.
    Miley should be abandoned until she learns to behave in public, not to mention her look. Sheryl Crow ruined her skin. Her tan looks worse than Jen Aniston’s (and that’s quite an ”achievement”).
    Is it just me, or does everyone want to wear a rhinestone-encrusted Balmain-ish LBD? Those sparkly things are literally everywhere…
    Finally, Rihanna. I think no one can really predict what the girl will wear tonight! First that edgy Preen dress, then the punk-meets-Liza-in-Cabaret stage outfit, and now this flowing Gucci… Anything can happen! I’m hoping for one of those bold, short-in-front-long-in-back Balmain dresses, preferably in pink!

David

6. Flora

Who cares if Kelly Clarkson has put on weight? Is it relevant to what she’s wearing?

Re: the actual fashion – Miley looks dreadful, and the whole pouting and blowing kisses and playing up for the cameras thing was tiresome when Christina Aguilera did it about seven years ago.

And am I the only person who thinks Carrie Underwood looks like a cut-price Dolly Parton, only with marginally less huge hair? God, that dress makes me WEEP…

7. Erika

Is Estelle wearing the same tunic that Sienna Miller wore in 2007 to the cocktail party for the cast of “Bobby”..? Looks very similar to me at least.
    On a side note, I also love Jennifer Hudson’s outfit, hair and make up! Perfect :)

8. whitestroke

I like when some people take a more natural approach to posing on the red carpet. However, it does not work for me in Miley’s case because her behaving that way looks just as forced as some other people’s ‘classy’ posing. She doesn’t look natural, but rather like a brat who thinks she’ll make a pretty dress cooler by acting ‘cool’.

I hate when they squash boobs like Rihanna there. When only the top part of the cleavage is visible and then they squash it instead of leaving it to look normal. Would it hurt her to just put the dress over them?! It’s only a matter of few centimeters after all. Talking about the twins, Katy Perry’s cleavage is painful to look at. Could she even breathe?!

I agree with David above, singers never do as good as actresses. I think they’re allowed a lot more fashion forward because of the different nature of their profession, but they usually end up on the silly side.

9. robbie

i love mileys dress, such a shame its on such a *****, cant stand that little brat anymore.

wow taylor is looking amazing, to think a years or so ago, she arrived at awards looking like she was going to the prom.

estelle looks great, i love the tunic against her skin colour.

katy im bored now, seriously what the hell has happened to her “im cooky, im unique” style, its gone, now she is like every other star *yawn*

leona boring, tights annoying, her is pretty.

carrie, shocking, she looks like someone dragged her through some bushes.

jennifer, oh my god she looks amazing. she is drop dead gorgeous, and her eyes are beautiful.

wihtney, whitney, whitney, what the hell, animal print can be hard to put off, from her shoulders up perfection, from the knees down it is all good, shame about the middle section. but SHE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the rest are just blah, blah and extra blah

10. Leo

Ugly overload.
    So many bad choices for one event.

Miley is the worst but Katy, Rihanna, Leona, Duffy, Kelly.

Sheryl! She looks so bad, her skin, that dress. It pains me to see her like that.

The one I really like here is J-Hudson, she looks so fierce. Love her shoes and hair.

11. wi

Jennifer’s heels are Balenciaga, they are available at Barneys New York, both in black and yellow :D
    check the site!

12. freida lover

love rihannas dress.
    hate miley’s .. looks like some 1950s apron in the front.
    and i am beyond excited whitneys back!

cant wait for tonight! busy one for you FC. doing a great job!

Nicole

13. lifeaccordingtob

I’m a little worried about Kelly Clarkson… :S

She doesn’t look like she normally does…and her hair doesn’t look like it was ready for the red carpet…

something must be up.

14. Raquel

Kimora has never looked better, she’s glowing. Ah, happiness!

I don’t like Kelly here, this shade of blue isn’t her color at all, the shape of the dress is very unflattering on her and she looks too self-concious, which I think is the worst thing that can happen to any woman, nevermind a star on the red carpet.

15. Anonymous

oh boy, i love how Duffy looks at this event. it may be black but i’m not entirely sure why it’s a let down.

16. Ksenia

~Duffy inspires yawns again. You are so cute and pretty and I appreciate your efforts with the Chanel bag, but that is supposed to COMPLEMENT an outfit, not make it.
    ~Fantasia looks great and sweet in her purple dress
    ~Kelly Clarkson is sweet in her gown. Works for her.
    ~Rihanna is stunning except for the intrusion of the twins.
    ~Kimora Lee Simmons is tunning in her lovely gown and is truely glowing from inside out. Plus, she carries her ultimate arm candy (besides Brad, Ashton, Ben and Leo) Djimon Hounsou. What a man.

17. Ksenia

~Estelle. you have cancer bumps all over your chest. Call a fashion doctor immediately. This whole look just isn’t flattering at all (but I LOVE her fab bright gold bangles).
    ~Katy’s dress is prettily tacky because of the overexposure of Katy Perry’s breasts that look like oppressed I-Hop pancakes.

18. Ksenia

Carrie Underwood reminds us of country blonde tacky. Not all country songbirds are tacky or blonde, but really, this brings back so much dejavu of awful tacky moments (Kellie Pickler dresses?). Carrie, you can do better. We all know.