08.02.09

Finch & Partners’ Pre-BAFTA Party

What a welcome relief to see the gorgeous Thandie Newton back on the red carpet.

I’ve really missed her, and it looks like she hasn’t lost any of her style when she attended this Pre-BAFTA party wearing a navy silk Chanel Resort 2009 asymmetrical mini dress.

She wore her dress with embellished heels, whilst carrying a black clutch.

Perfect in every way.

Freida Pinto was also wearing Chanel, but her haltered ruffled mini was from the Spring 2008 Couture collection.

Of all the BAFTA Award attendees, Freida’s gown is the one I am looking forward to the most tonight.

Emma Watson completes the Chanel threesome, wearing a navy dress from the Fall 2008 Couture collection.

I love the dress, and the matching satin shoes, but I can’t help wishing she had adjusted that collar better, as it looks really awkward.

I will hope to see see a different type of hairstyle on Emma in the future. I feel like I’ve seen this look a thousand times before.

Amy Adams has had her Giambattista Valli phase, now she has moved onto RM by Roland Mouret. This is the second time in a row the gorgeous actress has worn one of his dresses, and it’s a perfect fit.

This silver dress has an asymmetrical hem, and an overshot shoulder, which she opted to fold down.

She completed her look with black peep-toes, and a satin clutch.

Penelope Cruz opted for warmth over style, as she covered up her black dress with a full-length coat, whilst sporting freshly cut bangs.

Anna Friel will have PETA on her case, after wearing a fur stole, with her black corset and maxi skirt look.

Lily Allen added a burst of bright red to this black/navy event. How very refreshing.

Source & Source

In Rihanna's Closet - Preen Blue Dress

In Rihanna’s Closet – Preen Blue Dress

Runway To Grammy Party Stage - Rihanna In Balmain

Runway To Grammy Party Stage – Rihanna In Balmain

24 Responses to Finch & Partners’ Pre-BAFTA Party

1. Flora February 8, 2009 at 14:15 #

Thandie looks gorgeous, the navy colour is really flattering with her skin tone, and she looks really elegant as always.

Freida looks great as well, although I still say her smile is what really lights up every red carpet appearance she makes.

Penelope – yawn. It’s black. Er… nothing else to say about it.

Emma – oh dear. I thought she’d moved on from her “navy Chanel to every event” phase about a year and a half ago, but it seems not. I think this is hugely unflattering on her, looks like it’s about two sizes too big, and generally makes her look about 40. Something simpler would have been infinitely better.

I always think Emma looks fine (if somewhat stiff) when styled to within an inch of her life in photo shoots, but incredibly awkward at any red carpet event, as though she still isn’t confident in the designer clothes. She’s doing the hand-on-hip pose, but she just isn’t “wearing” the clothes, they’re wearing her.

Oh, and surely Lily’s a prime candidate for “In her Closet” – she’s worn that orange Chanel bag to about twenty different events over the last year. (Although since you’re in London, wouldn’t “wardrobe” be more appropriate?)

2. Fashion Critic February 8, 2009 at 14:20 #

Closet is more universally recognised to wardrobe.

I understand what you are saying about Lily, as I have already written a post on her Chanel bag obsession, but it is her grey one which she is seen with more.

3. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 14:39 #

Pretty lame, ha? I guess it’s because the front-runners aren’t there yet…
    Emma Watson’s hairstyle is quite dull, indeed, especially for such a young actress.
    Now, Penélope literally ruined her hair! A thick (and a too short) fringe? In the middle of the awards season? I don’t see how it’s going to work with a long gown. And what is Lily Allen doing at the Pre-Bafta party??!
    Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing Kristin Scott Thomas in Lanvin (or YSL), Viola Davis shining once again and Kate Winslet accepting her Best Actress trophy in a COLORFUL dress!

Btw, FC, I was pretty surprised you haven’t posted pics of Winslet at the Berlinale. She looked expectedly elegant at the premiere of ”The Reader”, wearing a tiered bustier frock.

David

4. Lisa February 8, 2009 at 14:40 #

Thandie Newton, Freida Pinton, Emma Watson- this is like a meeting of my girl crushes. (Well, without Cate Blanchett, Diane Kruger adn Kate Winslet.) And they all looks amazing- although I’m not sure about Emma’s collar, too.

Penelope looks amazing in almost everything she wears, but even she can’t rock this black thing.

5. Anna February 8, 2009 at 14:41 #

Freida never change her hairstyle too!

Thandie Newton gorgeous !
    Emma Watson is really gorgeous! I prefer this dress than hever leger!
    Lily allen has no elegance!

6. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 14:46 #

Emma looks good in blue. Why shouldn’t she wear it?

I love everything Thandie Newton wear!!

7. Fashion Critic February 8, 2009 at 14:47 #

David, I am going to try to fit it in today or tomorrow, or Tuesday.

The BAFTA’s and Grammy’s are always on the same day and they both always have 2 pre-parties.

Snowed under

8. Flora February 8, 2009 at 15:04 #

I’ve seen pics of Yasmin Le Bon at the BAFTA party as well, wearing a nude mini dress that looks v. similar to one Marion Cotillard wore last January. I’m sure you’ll know whether it’s the same one!

I’ve also seen pics of Tamsin Egerton showing off her long legs as usual in a hot pink mini, and Tamara Mellon in a bright orange number, so not everyone’s wearing dull old navy and black. I suppose there are just less pics around of them.

And Anna – Frieda’s only been on the red carpet for less than 2 months, she has something of an excuse for not changing her hairstyle!

9. Lauren February 8, 2009 at 15:36 #

I love Emma’s dress, but I do agree that the collar is alittle awkward looking! And I also hope to see a new hairstyle. She’s rumoured to be presenting at the BAFTAS, so hopefully we’ll see her with something a little different.

I love Lily’s look! Its cute and suits her really well!

Penelope… what can I say other than boring? She used to dress so well. She needs to start stepping her game up.

10. Flora February 8, 2009 at 15:49 #

EVERYONE looks good in navy blue! Same for black. It’s the safe, predictable choice. Besides, if every time you step on the red carpet, you’re wearing something almost indistinguishable from the last time you stepped onto it, people are going to lose interest pretty quickly, especially if 90% of the time it’s the same designer as well.

Take some risks, Emma, try yellow for once! Or orange! Anything except navy sodding blue! Or do you only wear what Karl Lagerfeld tells you to?

11. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 15:51 #

Blue again, Emma!?
    C’mon, I know that it’s a very flattering colour on her but for someone her age, with designers (other than Chanel!) at her fingertips, all I can say is EXPERIMENT!!

For someone that is regularly referred to as a budding fashionista… it seems like she’s becoming a younger Jennifer Aniston.

Thandie looks gorgeous, as per usual. Absolutely flawless.

I’m glad Lily brought some colour and pop to this event!

12. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 17:12 #

Emma’s hairstyle is different from what she normally has – I’ve seen the HQ photos taken from the back of her.

Other than that, I like her dress but I am tired of her wearing blue (even if it does suit her)

13. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 17:31 #

To me Emma hairstyle's new!

Now, She looks good in blue. Why shouldn't she wear it?
    and not wear only chanel, she wear a lot burberry, alexandre maq. marc jacobs…
    Thandie Newton wear navy blue and she looks fantastic!
    I dont like Lily allen, she's so boring with that chanel bag
    ¬¬

14. Hayley February 8, 2009 at 17:41 #

Lily looks the best and that’s saying something.

15. whitestroke February 8, 2009 at 17:45 #

I like Emma in that dress. I don’t know what could she do with that collar, though, it’s pretty weird. It looked even worse on the runway. Thandie looks perfect, as usual. I also love Amy Adams here.

What the hell happened with Penelope? I’m crying inside. I won’t even start on the bangs.

16. Fashion Critic February 8, 2009 at 17:47 #

Better than Thandie and Amy?

17. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 17:57 #

Hellooo! Lily Allen should no even be there. She’s not an actress, she’s hardly a singer. The girl is wearing a bright tunic with a matching Chanel bag – hardly a sartorial effort. And, btw, her hair looks as if she’s getting ready for the Eurovision Song Contest 1999.

David

18. Flora February 8, 2009 at 18:07 #

Yes, Thandie’s wearing navy as well, but she doesn’t ALWAYS wear it, that’s the point. You can never second-guess what Thandie will wear, because she’s never predictable with style, designer or colour. Which, unfortunately, you can’t say for Emma… good to see other people have noticed this too!

19. robbie February 8, 2009 at 18:55 #

firstly, i love anna, and who the hell gives about PETA, they are a bunch of hypocrites. anyway she looks fabulous.

lily looks cute, i LOVE her bag.

emma looks nice, but im getting a little with her always wearing chanel, its just predictable.

freida, looks amazinmg, she must have been freezing though, but as kylie once sang “a girls gotta suffer for fashion”

thandie does look amazing, as always. cheekbones to die for.

amy looks adorable, but nothing special.

penelope looks okay, defo nothing special going on there.

20. whitestroke February 8, 2009 at 18:56 #

Sorry FC, was your question at MY comment or maybe somebody else? I’m not sure.

21. cosmonarta February 8, 2009 at 20:38 #

WOW, I love Anna Friel, but this is just not working for her. She should learn a little bit more from her character Chuck in Pushing Daisies.

22. Leo February 8, 2009 at 21:37 #

I love Emma’s dress and I love her overall look but there’s something about her that is quite not right. Proportion-wize it looks weird.

And Thandie and Amy both look amazing. Amy has been so great this last events. That dress looks perfecet on her.

23. drinkupthefashion February 9, 2009 at 21:09 #

i love lily allen’s look here. she is so cute in bangs and the outfit just works on her. i love that chanel bag. i wish i owned one, or had a chance of owning one!

and thandie looks fab as usual.

even though emma has been wearing the same boring hairstyle and she wows only occasionally on the red carpet, i still love her. her face is just so cute.