08.02.09 Best Dressed

2009 BAFTA Awards – Best Dressed

Best Dressed/Pretty in Pink Award
As I hoped and prayed Freida Pinto did not let us down on the red carpet tonight, in fact she surpassed my expectations.

As we predicted she did wear an Oscar de la Renta gown, from the Resort 2009 collection.

The pretty pink dress was the perfect colour, and the 18th century Fred Leighton jewels she wore were the perfect compliment.

I hope this run will never end.

Best Asymmetrical Gown Award
What is not to love about Marisa Tomei in her gorgeous shimmering Etro Spring 2009 asymmetrical gown?

The actress walked the red carpet without her favourite Fendi clutch, which is a good thing because it would not have worked with this gown, but what did work were her nude Christian Louboutin pumps.

Brave choice for such a horrible rainy day.

Best On Trend & Best Unofficial Brand Ambassador Award
Amy Adams was on trend with her electric blue RM by Roland Mouret gown.

The mermaid gown is gorgeous. Not to over the top, very understated, very elegant. As usual Amy makes a quite impact on the red carpet.

Regular readers will notices that there is a bit of trend developing with Amy. The tends to be the unofficial brand ambassador for designers for 3 gowns, then she moves on.

Oscar de la Renta for Critic’s Choice Awards, a Pre-Golden Globe party and the Golden Globes.

Giambattisa Valli for the Motion Pictures Awards Gala, the Doubt UK Screening and the SAG Awards.

Now Roland Mouret for the Oscar nominees luncheon, the Pre-BAFTA party and now the BAFTAs.

Who will she pick next?

English Rose Award
Emily Mortimer was one of the few Brits not to stick to safe black, instead she wore a grey tiered YSL Resort 2009 gown, with a snake print bodice, and a cute velvet black bow.

Unfortunately it looks like her gown got caught in the rain.

Black Again? But I Love It Award
Kate Winslet wore a black Zac Posen mermaid gown.

Yes, I am a bit disappointed that it was not as vivacious as her electric blue Narciso Rodriguez gown, but her body is so damm amazing in this dress, that you just have to love her.

Best Vintage Award
After her pink Blumarine dress, Thandie Newton had a lot to live up too.

She does not disappoint in her black strapless vintage gown with gold detailing through-out, but I am not particularly wowed either.

Lady In Red Award
Sharon Stone was ravishing in wearing a red John Galliano Spring 2009 gown.

Not a hint of animal print. I admire her restraint.

Best Re-Run Award
We have seen this Stella McCartney gown twice before on Salma Hayek and Amanda Seyfried, but Laura Bailey’s blush pink revision is gorgeous, so all is forgiven.

Best Comeback Award
It has been a while since we saw the adorable Kylie Minogue on the red carpet in the UK, and girlfriend proved that she still has it.

She wore gold heels with her spaghetti strapped black Chanel Fall 2002 Couture dress, which had an interested detailed hem.

Just OK Award
Emma Watson is surprisingly not wearing Chanel, but Temperley London, which is a welcome relief.

That embroidered neckline is very much a trademark of Temperley, so this dress doesn’t feel particularly fresh to me as I would have hoped.

Best Necklace Award
I love the youthful glow that Goldie Hawn radiates.

She wore a black satin strapless dress – that did not squash her twins – with a stunning diamond necklace.

Best Impression of Mary Poppins Award
Meryl Streep channeled her inner Mary Poppins, as she sheltered under her umbrella from the horrendous British weather.

With her all black ensemble the legendary actress wore Fred Leighton jewels and Daniel Swarovski clutch.

Best Late Comer Award
I can not believe that I these are the only two pictures of Kristin Scott Thomas on the red carpet last night, and I had to wait until the following day to find them. I guess she arrived late on the red carpet.

Kristin looked as elegant as ever in this beaded vintage-inspired gown in midnight blue. The actress decided against fussy jewelery, opting to show off her flawless neckline instead.

Click here for the Worst Dressed.

Source & Source

2009 BAFTA Awards - Worst Dressed

2009 BAFTA Awards – Worst Dressed

2009 Grammy Awards - Worst Dressed

2009 Grammy Awards – Worst Dressed

39 Responses to 2009 BAFTA Awards – Best Dressed

1. Flora February 8, 2009 at 21:37 #

Kate’s dress at least has a bit of oomph to it, unlike Penelope’s. I heard a clip of her on the red carpet saying her dress was by Zac Posen, though – don’t know if this is right, or I wasn’t paying attention!

Sharon looks A-MA-ZING. Elegant, a knockout in red and, unusually for her, rather classy. Although perhaps there is another photo where she is making the usual ridiculous v-sign?

I love that Thandie is wearing vintage, and it’s very different from everyone else’s frocks, but I can’t help agreeing with you that it doesn’t make your jaw drop like it ought to. Perhaps we’re just spoiled because everything she wears is usually so perfect.

2. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 21:46 #

Marisa looks amazing, i love the dress. Kate and Thandie look good, but both are dissapointments as i expected much more from them.

Sharon looks ok, her face looks a bit creepy and her hair is not looking the best.

Electra.

3. freida lover February 8, 2009 at 21:49 #

YAY freida looks amazing!! the jewels really took the dress to the next level! loove her!

kate looks amazing as always and marisa’s dress kinda reminds me of a sari. very unique. all the ladies on this list look great!

Nicole

4. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 21:53 #

Frieda looks amazing, even though the dress looks very similiar to the one Penelope Cruz wore recently.

Electra.

5. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 21:54 #

Oh, so Kate wears Burberry? Nice, kudos to her for wearing a British label, but it’s SO old news, even if gorg.
    Thandie’s Blumarine look rules. The strapless gown she wore after it is just OK.
    THANK GOD risk-taker Marisa was there! Unbeatably flirty.

David

6. Fashion Critic February 8, 2009 at 21:54 #

I agree Electra. Although both Kate and Thandie look great, neither took it too the next level, which they should have being on home soil.

7. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 22:00 #

I think Thandie’s look would’ve benefitted from more jewelry,no?She looks very bare.

8. Anonymous February 8, 2009 at 22:01 #

Freida Pinto is my new red carpet love, she dresses like a true hollywood star and she just got started.

9. OnCloud9 February 8, 2009 at 22:05 #

wow @ Freida
    serious girl crush!
    lol

and dang Kate has SOME body there!!

my favourite out of these dresses is Marisa’s though
    so unique

10. Flora February 8, 2009 at 22:08 #

Ooh, more piccies!

Marisa looks great, I always like it when someone dares to wear something with a print or pattern on it, rather than block colour.

Freida looks very pretty, although I’m not really a fan of pastel pink, it looks beautiful against her skin tone. And the unusual necklace really sets it off, too. I do think that without the necklace it would just have been “nice” rather than “wow!”.

I don’t want to get into another “discussion” with anyone on this, but I am v. pleased that Emma Watson is neither wearing navy blue nor Chanel. It’s a lovely dress, but I agree with Fashion Critic, it does look over-familiar. Is it a dress from a couple of seasons ago? There was a spate of celebs wearing Temperley with similar embroidered/ embellished necklines in 2006 or 2007, I think.

11. Fashion Critic February 8, 2009 at 22:10 #

Hey Flora, you were right it was Zac Posen.

12. Moody Crab February 8, 2009 at 22:16 #

Freida! Freida!! Freida!!!

It is official, I’m in love with her! She looks amazing.

Nice work Fashion Critic..please keep it coming!

13. Moody Crab February 8, 2009 at 22:17 #

Freida! Freida!! Freida!!!

It is official, I’m in love with her! She looks amazing.

Nice work Fashion Critic..please keep it coming!

14. Flora February 8, 2009 at 22:33 #

Thanks! I’m not sure I could claim any personal credit, mind you – I wouldn’t have guessed this off my own bat, I just thought I heard her being interviewed by Claudia Winkleman about it when I was making a cup of tea and slightly distracted.

Back to the frocks: I don’t really like Emily Mortimer’s dress, but kudos to her for wearing something a bit more daring. Horrible, but daring nonetheless!

15. Ling February 8, 2009 at 22:35 #

Probably quite obvious, but Amy Adams’ dress looks almost too similar to Kate’s Narciso Rodriguez dress for me to like it that much.

16. robbie February 8, 2009 at 22:44 #

OH MY GOD thasnks for posting kylie, she looks so fricking hot, i love her natural hair colour. everything is perfect. her dress is gorgeous. i know she has no chance of even being up for best dressed this week, but i dont care she is my best dressed. hope you are able to find out the designer soon.

freida is just gorgeous, beautiful dress, hair, make-up and everything.

kate is stunning, yeah its black but its gorgeous.

the rest are perfect but kylie, freida and kate are my favourites.

17. Flora February 8, 2009 at 22:48 #

Yes, spot on, it does resemble Winslet’s SAG dress rather too closely. Otherwise Amy looks great.

Not as great as Kylie, though. It has been a long time since she graced the red carpet, and she looks fantastic.

Was Kristin Scott Thomas even there? I’ve been waiting to see her show up the young ‘uns all night!

18. WendyB February 8, 2009 at 23:32 #

Marisa looks WONDERFUL.

19. nicole February 8, 2009 at 23:46 #

ahhh Meryl. there is just something about her that i love. only she can work this look.

20. robbie February 9, 2009 at 00:48 #

lol kylie is a new celeb affected by the recession :P

21. Gaber February 9, 2009 at 00:56 #

Ouch!
    Somebody call the ambulance, because it seems that Frieda lost her neck on the way to the red carpet!
    I am guessing it’s the hair, or just a series of REALLY bad pictures but if this was ANTM, girlfriend would sooooo be getting bitch-slapped by Tyra right now …
    Love her otherwise, but girl, get your act together for the Oscars!

22. Anonymous February 9, 2009 at 00:56 #

OMG!! all that girls look beautiful!
    Love Emma Watson and Freida Pint dress!

23. The Craziest of Being Me... February 9, 2009 at 02:48 #

Love Marisa Tomei. Everything works for me, this time!. Let’s hope she’s still on for Oscar.

Freida is great as always. One thing that I’m worry about her is this season might be only time we can have her. Pls somebody give her a job.

I’m not so sure about Thandie. She’s always look exhausted. i don’t know why.

24. dc88tigger February 9, 2009 at 03:35 #

Love Kate Winslet but it feels like a repeat of the SAG awards. Aren’t the earrings even really similar to the ones she wore then? She looks fab but minus points for having no imagination. I hate pink and fluffy stuff so I don’t like Freida’s dress, but her hair and makeup look beautiful. My favorite is Marissa and I love Amy’s jewelry.

25. Raquel February 9, 2009 at 05:15 #

I want Marisa’s dress so so so much! I just wish she would try soemthing bolder with her makeup, she always looks sort of washed out.

26. Lady Of Style February 9, 2009 at 12:52 #

Hey FC, Could you post Satsuki Mitchell’s Christian Lacroix gown?

27. Anonymous February 9, 2009 at 13:30 #

Sorry, but I think you’ve skipped Kristin Scott Thomas. She was a front-runner (Best Actress nominee) and looked outstandingly regal. Her gown had a fabulous glittering bodice and a long satin skirt in electric blue. Not sure who designed it – perhaps Pilati for YSL – but I’m sure you would love it.

David

28. Fashion Critic February 9, 2009 at 13:47 #

David, I did not skip KST. Her full length picture was not on any picture agency by the time I had started working on the Grammy pictures at midnight.

I saw a top half picture and I did love that. I will look for it again today.

29. Cry February 9, 2009 at 15:23 #

This is the “vintage” dress worn by Paris: http://www.style.it/interactive/img/00540f(42).jpg

30. Fashion Critic February 9, 2009 at 15:34 #

thanks. I had found a slightly bigger picture on catwalking.com

31. Alyssa February 9, 2009 at 16:00 #

Maria Tomei looks really gorgeous. Looking forward also to see Freida Pinto at the Oscars. I can’t help it but I adore Emily Mortimer, so she is also one winner to me of the event at the red carpet.

32. Leo February 9, 2009 at 16:32 #

Amy Adams looks fantastic! I love that blue on her, it looks great against her skin and it makes such a nice contrast with her hair. I also love the necklaces and the shape. She’s my best dressed here.

I also loved Marisa Tomei, did not expect that kind of dress from her and she rocked it so well. It’s so sexy but not too much.

Freida looked great but I wish she didn’t do it in pink. All that volume in that colour makes it look a bit debutant ball.

Thandie Newton once again great, it’s black but inspired black, I so adored it. Kate Winslet on the other hand, I hated. It’s such a recyvled look, just like Penelope.

33. whitestroke February 9, 2009 at 16:47 #

Freida is gorgeous, although I find some things that are off about her here. Colors of the necklace are gorgeous, but the dress this lovely could work even without it. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, until I read what Gaber said. Yes, the neck area (or the lack of it!) is off. Still, since we can’t exist on our own and each look should be considered within the context and in comparison with others, she’s one of my favs here because I wasn’t that impressed last night overall.

Marisa Tomei is such a delight to watch.
    Kate Winslet – I just… GIVE UP on her.
    Thandie is spoiling us with her awesome choices. I wasn’t exactly wowed by her either, but just imagine Kate or Penelope wore that dress. We’d be like OMG THANK YOU LORD! FINALLY.

34. Anonymous February 9, 2009 at 19:18 #

There’s nothing wrong with Emma Watson’s dress. I don´t know what you mean, I really love Emma Watsons dress. I think she looks stunning.
    Freida Printo looks fabulous and i like Penelope dress!

Fernanda!

35. drinkupthefashion February 9, 2009 at 20:11 #

i loved reading the is entry. everyone looked so good. right off of the top of my head my favorites are freida pinto (soooo amazing. that pink is really great on her and the dress is so well made), marisa tomei (she wears etro well. i usually never enjoy their collections, but i love this dress on her), amy adams (RAVISHING! ABSOLURELY RAVISHING! i love that eye makeup on her), and kristen scott thomas (so beautiful, and great color).

36. mary February 10, 2009 at 22:29 #

I’m the only love Emma Watson’s dress? I’m very happy to see Emma not wearing top desingers, like some newest cof*frieda*cof too look really good!
    Love her!
    Thandie is stunning!

Mary!

37. Flora February 10, 2009 at 23:41 #

Mary, Alice Temperley IS a top designer, and she’s certainly not new, either. She’s been around and dressing celebrities for the red carpet for at least five years.

Look her up on the net, you’ll see what FC means when she says this is not a new look.

38. Anonymous February 12, 2009 at 00:28 #

No, no, NO! Alice Temperley IS a BIG desinger, not top, like Versace, Chanel, JPG, Dior, D&G, hum Oscar de la Renta! The celebrities who wear her clothes have personality, not only wear the big, but the great and new! Sorry desapponting!