Regular readers will understand how frustrated I always get when Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes hit the red carpet. That is because they never have a second apart, so she is never photographed alone.

The couple attended the Brazilian premiere of Valkyrie yesterday.

He was in a navy striped suit, she was wearing a long green Christian Lacroix Haute Couture Fall 2007 tunic, with shimmering silver pearling, a vivid red bustier, and electric blue velvet sash tied to the waist.

I love the dress. It was a great choice, but Katie barely brings it to life.

The dress is so vivacious, charismatic and full of life, but on Katie…it’s just OK. And just OK on a couture gown, which probably took 400 hours or more to create, just won’t do.

Even the sash is limp. Couldn’t she have found someone to tie it into a pretty bow for her?

I also think it’s cut too low for her, as it exposes how thin she has become.

The red lips, and the hair I love from the front, but not crazy about the bun at the back.

This dress is being called a vintage dress. I love vintage clothes from the 50s, 60s an 70s, but to me this is 4 seasons old.

I’m not a vintage aficionado, so if any of you can let me know how old a garment has to be to be classed as vintage, I would very much appreciate it, as I was under the impression it was 10/20 years.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source
Predict The Oscar Gowns

Predict The Oscar Gowns

Kate Beckinsale's Obsessions - White Dresses

Kate Beckinsale’s Obsessions – White Dresses

20 Responses to Runway To "Valkyrie" Brazil Premiere – Katie Holmes In Christian Lacroix Couture

1. Cry February 4, 2009 at 12:25 #

From Wikipedia: “Generally speaking, clothing which was produced before the 1920s is referred to as antique clothing and clothing from the 1920s to 1980 is considered vintage. Retro, short for retrospective, usually refers to clothing that imitates the style of a previous era. Clothing produced more recently is usually called modern or contemporary fashion. Opinions vary on these definitions”

2. Fashion Critic February 4, 2009 at 12:29 #

Thanks for that.

I knew 4 seasons old was too early to be calling something vintage.

3. boogie February 4, 2009 at 12:56 #

Give me the dress!! I can tie the bow!! :P

4. Cleopatra February 4, 2009 at 14:00 #

Vintage in the proper sense has to be 10 years minimum. This is just a few seasons old.

5. shoeaholic February 4, 2009 at 14:30 #

Haha, I guess it’s just a polite way of saying her dress is last season! I agree with you though FC, this had the potential to be a gorgeous look! Too bad she failed..

6. Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 15:22 #

kudos fo trying something new. She didn’t quite pull it of, but still it is a good effort.
    Lexa

7. Ahot February 4, 2009 at 16:18 #

Why can’t she wear a bra? Horrible!
    She seems to have something against bras; and this baby bun…I am not feeling those shoes either; they don’t work with the whole look.

8. Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 16:34 #

It’s true she didn’t quite pull it off, but atleast she was brave for wearing such an eye catching outfit. We could never see Jennifer Aniston (for example) wearing something like this.

I think she looks good, a bit too skinny in the upper part, but her face, hair and make-up look good this time.

I’m not a huge fan of the shoes, i wish the heels were a bit higher.

Electra.

9. Laura Deerfield February 4, 2009 at 16:52 #

Actually, most vintage clothing collectors and sellers will say it has to be at least 15 years old. Half a generation.

10. robbie February 4, 2009 at 16:57 #

HOT! she is looking amazing, the dress is gorgeous strange mix of colours red, blue and green.

you should do a post about stars wearing clothes from past seasons lo, so many of them seem to be doing it.

11. WendyB February 4, 2009 at 17:00 #

I love the dress too. And four seasons old definitely doesn’t = vintage. If so, 95% of my clothes are vintage!

12. Erin February 4, 2009 at 20:29 #

I like the dress better on the model in the picture next to her. And while she doesn’t do the clothes she wears any justice, you have to admit, her presence and style attempts definitely help to pump up Cruise’s ratings. Also like you, I like the hair and makeup from the front, but she still has that “motherly-let-go” feel about her (no offense to mothers out there).

13. Gaby February 4, 2009 at 21:58 #

I read a comment someone had made about Katie’s weight and they compared her current body shape to that of Nicole Kidman’s. I was surprised because now that I think of it, it is somewhat true. Nicole has a very natural tall and lean physique and the dress Katie wore is very reminiscent of some of the outfit choices Nicole Kidman has worn in the past. But putting that aside, when I first saw the gown, I really didn’t like it but after seeing it on the model, I thought it was very beautiful. The model’s gown is tighter; therefore, you can see the shape of the body which I think makes it very pretty. I agree with FC, she made it very lifeless. The red lips were nice and a good try.

14. Flora February 4, 2009 at 22:53 #

I think it’s an unusual choice for Katie, who we normally see wearing an array of cardigans, and I really like the colour combinations. It’s quite 1920s flapper-esque, and maybe that’s why she went for the smoothed down bobbed hairstyle. If there was a decent photograph of her, standing on her own and posing properly instead of hanging onto Tom, I’d be willing to bet this would look a hundred times better. I know it’s his film, but still…

Ironically, when Tom and Nicole were together, she used to hang off his arm and not pose separately either. Let go of his hand for just five little minutes, will you?!

15. Parvati February 4, 2009 at 23:09 #

It’s not her best look, but I like that she tried something different, with such a daring combination of colours.

16. Elle Woods February 5, 2009 at 01:00 #

lol..that dress is not even close to vintage

17. donna February 5, 2009 at 14:15 #

Yeah, what’s up with the no-bra look, she didn’t have one on at the SAG awards and her breasts were all over the place. And she needed a more important looking shoe
    to pull that colorful dress into focus.

18. Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 12:15 #

I don’t get it. I absolutely love the dress and think she ROCKS it! I mean it, my jaw dropped when I first saw the picture she was so stunning. This is my secong favorite look for her, the first being when she first showed us her then new Louise Brooks bob. It’s been that long since she’s looked this good. Fabulous taste here; love the shoes! Love it all, the hair the makeup, EVERYTHING.

19. Fashion Critic February 6, 2009 at 13:04 #

The dress is not the issue. I think the issue is the way she wears it.