03.02.09

2009 Oscar Nominees Luncheon

I am really hoping Anne Hathaway is saving her best dress for the Oscars, because this ivory Chloe crystal embroidered dress is slightly ill fitting, plus I think the colour washes her out.

She wore her dress with Christian Louboutin Very Galaxy heels.

Taraji P. Henson is wearing my favourite colour.

Some of you might think her look is too matchy matchy, but I love the colour against her skin.

What I don’t like is her choice of clutch. Apart from the colour, it feels too big and cheap for her chic Alberta Ferretti ensemble.

Amy Adams wore a haltered turquoise RM by Roland Mouret dress with gold sandals.

Although I like the colour, I am not too sure about the draping on the front of her dress.

It’s nice to see her hair down again.

Kate Winslet was the only nominee who opted for black.

She looked flawless, as we have come to expect, wearing head to toe Helmut Lang.

Penelope Cruz had only arrived in LA, 2 hours before this luncheon, after flying from the Goya Awards in Madrid.

After a 10 hour flight I am sure dressing up was the last thing on her mind, but the Oscar nominated actress make a good effort in this ivory YSL suit.

Love the big blown out hair.

Marisa Tomei wore a very chic Christian Dior ivory belted dress, with champagne coloured Jimmy Choo shoes.

She carried a clutch which matched her dress.

Viola Davis loves bright colours. This was evident in her vibrant yellow SAG Awards gown, and again here, with her red David Meister sheath dress.

She completed her look with Givenchy heels.

Source & Source

Who Wore Diane von Furstenberg Better? America Ferrera or Kelly Brook

Who Wore Diane von Furstenberg Better? America Ferrera or Kelly Brook

"He's Just Not That Into You" LA Premiere

"He’s Just Not That Into You" LA Premiere

17 Responses to 2009 Oscar Nominees Luncheon

1. Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 11:31 #

I can’t wait for the Oscars. Maria Tomei looks very tired, i guess all the red carpet posing is tiring indeed.

It looks like not all of the nominees appeared. 3 actresses are missing. Angelina is one of them.

Electra.

2. Fashion Critic February 3, 2009 at 11:34 #

I am guessing Angelina is still in Asia

3. Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 11:56 #

Don’t know why, but the luncheon outfits are always disappointing, not only this year. Viola Davis shines as usual, Penélope stood out in her suit (btw, have you noticed Penélope’s knack for longer blazers?) and Taraji looks nice, too, but it’s nothing special. Anne’s dress is indeed a bit too loose (Who made it?? It looks slightly Chloé-ish.), but I like her anyway – I HATED her hair at the SAG awards, so I’m hoping that kind of mess won’t happen again. Amy’s unexpectedly hip dress looks like Alexander Wang, not sure though… Definitely not Valli or de la Renta ! :) Marisa Tomei is having her Christian Dior phase on the red carpet, I would say. Finally, Kate… I love her and I’m not sure what went wrong. During the whole season, she wore interesting, structured (mostly black) clothes and now this. If you’re gonna wear a plain LBD, make sure your shoes and your jewelry are rockin’ (which is not the case). I expect more from an Oscar winner.

4. Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 12:05 #

Actually only two nominated actresses didn’t show up – Meryl Streep and Angelina. Best Actress nominee Melissa Leo from Frozen River was there, i just checked the Getty pictures.

I also have to agree that the luncheon outfits are never interesting.

I can’t wait for the Grammys and BAFTAS this weekend. This will give you a lot of work FC, i hope it’s worth it with all the amazing outfits. I wonder if they’ll wear some of the new Couture outfits, i sure hope so!

Electra.

5. Fashion Critic February 3, 2009 at 12:09 #

Yep, I am on double duty this weekend.

I will be glued to E!

Thankfully they are hours apart.

6. Elise February 3, 2009 at 14:33 #

Anne Hathaway is not wearing Very Galaxy, her shoes are not Louboutins I think

7. robbie February 3, 2009 at 16:38 #

wow kate looks stunning. boring black but made hot!

anne actually looks really nice, i just hate that sheer part of the dress, those shoes are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frickin hot!

taraji, wow she has looked amazing at each event.

amy, oh is that nipple i spy in the front close up shjot? although it may be the fabric.

8. whitestroke February 3, 2009 at 17:09 #

What a disappointing Oscar Luncheon. Fashion-wise, I mean. I know they’re supposed to wear more casual, daywear-style stuff, but that still doesn’t mean they have to be boring. There are few looks that are okay, but overall quite uninspiring. Marion Cotillard was so adorable in an Elie Saab dress last year.

Kate Winslet, you should always spice up your simple black ensembles with a statement necklace (God knows there’s plenty of those these days!) or an interesting, colorful pair of heels. Anne Hathaway, even if you ARE saving your best dress for the Oscars, that doesn’t mean you have to wear anything at other events. I mean, come on! I’d get better clothes than things she wore lately on NET-A-PORTER.COM if I had money.

9. Ling February 3, 2009 at 18:04 #

Apparently Amy’s dress is Roland Mouret according to http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/oscars/photos/0,,20256515_20256511_20574144,00.html

10. Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 18:17 #

Anne Hathaway’s dress is from Chloé, and it looks gorgeous when you see it on Net-a-Porter!

11. Fashion Critic February 3, 2009 at 18:44 #

you are so right anon, it is much better on the mannequin.

Thanks for the id

12. Fashion Critic February 3, 2009 at 18:46 #

Thanks Ling. That seems strange to me. Roland does not usually use jersey fabrics.

Maybe it is from an older collection.

13. Kou February 3, 2009 at 20:26 #

Viola Davis looks fantastic! Can anyone ID her dress?

14. ANTONIO FROM PANAMA February 3, 2009 at 20:44 #

IF ANNE ADDED A BELT IT WOULD LOOK GREAT, YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS PICTURE OF DAKOTA FANNIG AT LETTERMAN SHE LOOKED SOOOO HOT!!!

I HAVE SOME SKETCHES, I WONDER IF I CAN EMAIL YOU, JUTS TO KNOW YOUR OPINION!

XOXO
    FASHION ADDICT FROM PANAMA

15. Cry February 3, 2009 at 21:41 #

Ouch! I’ve write my comment 4 the wrong post..!! :( So sorry, FC!!
    If you want I could banish myself from you faboulous website for a week… (even if I don’t know I could I live without it!!)

16. drinkupthefashion February 4, 2009 at 02:17 #

violet davis, amy adams and marisa tomei are my faves in this entry in that order. that red looks so brilliant on viola davis, her beautiful personality just radiates all around her in this outfit and makes her look all the better.

that color on amy is amazing, and her hair looks so fab, as does her figure.

marisa tomei looks great in that color, love the clutch.

this is not anne’s best look, i really hope she looks great for the oscars!