Givenchy Spring 2009 Haute Couture

When I arrived at the Givenchy Spring 2009 Haute Couture show just before it’s 7pm scheduled start time, I knew it would not start at 7pm, because a van pulled up unloading the couture gowns.

Like it or not whilst waiting to get in I already had a preview of the nude gowns.

Whilst queuing I was also entertained by the models – Sessilee Lopez and Lily Donaldson – as they came out of hair and make-up, which was located opposite where the show was taking place. Both appeared with those white strips around their heads, to keep their hair off their perfectly made up faces.

The hall was decorated with beautiful petals all over the floor, and as the lights when down, the the first model was presented.

In stark contrast to Riccardo Tisci’s very hard and edgy Spring 2009 RTW collection, this collection was ultra feminine with feathery chiffon layers, bouffant shoulders, visible corset under chiffon layers. The slight edge came with a few touches of leather, and heavy metal neck pieces.

The nudes I had witnessed outside were accompanied by pale violets, bright lemons, mint greens, black and whites.

One of my favourite pieces was the black Gothic queen gown worn by British model Lily Donaldson. The pictures do not quite do it justice, as it was a truly magnificent gown with a criss-cross detail at the back, and the puffed shoulders sparkled with jeweled embellishment.

The craftsmanship was exquisite, I was drooling over all the gowns, which were all very wearable. Oscar worthy, they certainly are.

Singer Roisin Murphy, Daphne Guinness, Kanye West, Anna Wintour and French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld were all in the front row. Carine had changed from her earlier look at Christian Lacroix, into a all black Givenchy pant suit.

At the end of the show we received a pack full of detailed descriptions of all the elegant pieces.

I had a very entertaining, fashion fun filled day, which required lots of walking. I did carry flats in my bag, but because my Pour La Victoire heels were so incredibly comfortable, I didn’t need them.

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

Here are my pictures.
Source
Social Events Of The Week

Social Events Of The Week

Who Wore Herve Leger Better? Rachel Stevens or Kelly Brook

Who Wore Herve Leger Better? Rachel Stevens or Kelly Brook

12 Responses to Givenchy Spring 2009 Haute Couture

1. Kaya January 28, 2009 at 19:20 #

i am so unbelievably jealous
    the pics you take (esp @ George Chakra ) are amazing

2. LILA January 28, 2009 at 19:21 #

I’ve just seen the whole collection and i was pleaseantly surprised..it was stunning! one of my favourite Givenchy couture shows by Riccardo so far. Can’t wait to see som of those incredible gowns at the Academy awards. The only downside is that Lakshmi wasn’t there T_T! some of the casting choices were kinda unexpected for some reasons..but no Lakshmi?! how can this possibly happen?! She was breathtaking in the givenchy ss09 campaign..I just hope she’ll show up at JPG *fingers crossed*
    P.S. I’m soooo jealous of you!!!
    Not only of the fact that you are attending all the best shows, meeting celebrities, chatting with models, looking beautiful ecc..i’m also jealouse of your scarf =P
    But i’m young..i’ll wait for my moment =D

3. Fashion Critic January 28, 2009 at 19:40 #

Hey thanks guys.

Lila…you will. 2 years ago I just started this site and yesterday I was at Couture shows. It can happen if you work hard enough

4. Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 20:24 #

Hi, I love love this fashion blog! Can I ask you what do you do for a living? Are you a Fashion Critic?

5. Evie January 28, 2009 at 20:30 #

Completely off topic, but I just wanted to let you know that you were 100% correct about Angelina wearing her dress backwards at the SAG Awards.

6. carrie at bloomacious.com January 28, 2009 at 20:33 #

oh – that’s interesting (kinda funny) – did you take any shots outside? We’re trying to gather as many paris street fashion shots as possible this week on bloomacious. right now we have face hunter, and easy fashion vying for top spot in our readers poll.

7. Fashion Critic January 28, 2009 at 20:45 #

Thanks for that Evie.

Carrie, sorry no pictures of the outside. It was dark at 7pm

8. drinkupthefashion January 28, 2009 at 20:57 #

oh WOW! you got to go to the givenchy couture show! i’m in awe of your amazingness.
    i hope one day i’ll get an invite. from what i see the show was great.

9. LILA January 28, 2009 at 20:59 #

Thank for your words FC..at 16 it’s nice dreaming about living and breathing fashion or about making a living doing what your passionate about and is also nice seeing girls like you who succeeded in that soooo..
    everything’s nice..let’s just hope it gets nicer in time =D
    P.S. No Lakshmi at JPG and no ed of the week?

10. Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 22:13 #

OT: You were right about Angelina Jolie’s Max Azria dress, her stylist Jen Rade told Us Weekly that Angie decidedly wore the dress from back-to-front to make it “more blouson” (a dress with a fitted waistband over which material blouses).

P.S. Great pix! Lucky you!

Electra.

11. laurakitty January 29, 2009 at 19:31 #

Oh, I’m so jealous! That collection was perfection!

12. whitestroke January 30, 2009 at 19:39 #

Givenchy was my fav Couture show this season. I would swoon to see those beautiful dresses from up close. :)